Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Denbigh wrote: »
    I wish Dalton had gotten a proper James Bond adventure; he needed that third film. I also say this cause he never resonated with me, and it’s a shame cause he had the look, and Dalton is a great actor. People, please check out Penny Dreadful with him and Eva Green. Also written by John Logan, and produced by Sam Mendes. Soooo good.

My girlfriend gave me the Penny Dreadful series for Christmas a couple years ago. Taking my sweet time getting through it, but yes it's great. Dalton and Eva Green are amazing. Reminds me a bit of classic Hammer horror, so I love it!
    Indeed Tim should have had a 3rd film in '91/'92.
    I think his unfilmed B17 probably would have put him in a more proper Bondian adventure.............even with the robots!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I wish Dalton had gotten a proper James Bond adventure; he needed that third film. I also say this cause he never resonated with me, and it’s a shame cause he had the look, and Dalton is a great actor. People, please check out Penny Dreadful with him and Eva Green. Also written by John Logan, and produced by Sam Mendes. Soooo good.

Dalton’s 2 films were brilliant. But the script for his 3rd sounded awful. It had Terminator style robots and a CyBorg!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    suavejmf wrote: »

Dalton’s 2 films were brilliant. But the script for his 3rd sounded awful. It had Terminator style robots and a CyBorg!
    That’s fair but they were never that good to me. They always felt more like an action-packed episode of an old American serial. Anyway, it’s hard to say how the third would’ve compared in terms of story, but Dalton just needed that third movie to solidify himself in the role a bit more and find his footing - to me.
    Don't know why we're discussing Dalton, but it's interesting to see that he is probably the go-to Bond when everyone talks about the classic Bond image, physically, I mean.

Well I just want to say that TLD, for the most of it, is one of the greatest Bond films ever. If that's not a proper Bond adventure, I don't know what is.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Provided the next film is years and years away, what about this Stranger Things guy?

where-is-charlie-heaton-from-1562239081-view-1.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,894
    Richard Johnson is my 'best Bond that never was'. And I daresay, if he had have been cast, he might have been my favourite. Look up a film called Danger Route, between that and Deadlier Than The Male, I we we get a pretty good indication of what we might have had if Terrance Young had cast gotten his way.

I'm keeping my hat in the ring for Scott Adkins
    549f9b624207ba468b605d97886260df.jpg
    (Naturally, I am picturing him clean shaven)

Dark broody looks, bags of charisma, and a considerable physical prowess. He has all the qualities he needs for Bond.

He would be great if he could act. However, he's staggeringly awful at it. Quite possibly one of the worst actors working in film today. I include Hollyoaks in that assessment too.

You want Sope Dirisu as Bond, that’s your choice. But you have said that you like the fact that his casting would “piss off the very staid, stick-in-the-mud, Bond by numbers crowd too” as you put it. You can say what you want about Adkins, which was hyperbolic to say the least, but as least I am not putting him forward as my favourite for childish reasons.

And that is without mentioning the elephant in the room, regarding Sope Dirisu.
    Provided the next film is years and years away, what about this Stranger Things guy?

where-is-charlie-heaton-from-1562239081-view-1.jpg

He'll be bald. And he's creepy as hell :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m actually waiting to see him as a villain @NickTwentyTwo, as for Bond, I just don’t think he has the look for it. But a villain or henchman? Hell yeah. Although I’d definitely consider his co-star and girlfriend, Natalia Dyer, for a future Bond girl.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Fair enough about his creepiness. He has an edge that I like for Bond, but maybe too much in that direction.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,994
    Moneypenny was pretty much a none-entity in the books so there's very little to be faithful to. Q obviously, doesn't appear in them at all either. They are blank slates and are not worthy of comparison with Bond himself as a character. They can do what they want with them as far as I'm concerned, as they're not the reason why I go and see a Bond film and were obviously not the reason why I read a Bond novel. As for M, well....Bernard Lee is still the best. However, Dench worked in the sense that it simply turned a tough paternal dynamic into a tough maternal one.

There's a lot of continuously unneccesary baiting happening in this thread recently and it's terribly difficult to read.

I don’t really agree with that to be honest, either you’re faithful to Fleming or you’re not. I think the producers, and in fact all producers of movies, realise that an adherence to the spirit of the book being adapted is rarely the same as total slavishness to every word, which is why only one of the Bond actors so far really gets close to fitting every part of the character (and even he had an accent which slipped into the north occasionally).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Concerning Dalton's Bond fight scenes, I think this is a great fight scene for Dalton's Bond and a highlight of the series....Necros was a worthy adversary indeed. Oh! and Barry's music....Hmmmm, Barry's music, if only he scored Licence To Kill.

Don't get me wrong @GadgetMan Dalton is my favorite bond. What i meant was he never really got the chance to showcase his fighting skill's. Sean had FRWL train fight, Lazenby gave a lot of fight scenes in a single film (might be the toughest bond physically), Roger had TMWTGG fight scene, Pierce had GoldenEye fight scene with 006 and Daniel has given more than one fight scene which we all love, as much i like Dalton he never really got the opportunity to do that, it wasn't his fault, maybe Glen wasn't much into it. Surprisingly, the only decent fight scene which was directed under glen was in OP.

Yeah, even the bar fight in LTK is weirdly staged, like he has to wait for the camera to pan down to every punch he makes.
    suavejmf wrote: »

As written, this third Dalton film would have singlehandedly destroyed him as Bond. His tenure as Bond would have gone from "what could have been" to "never again".
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400
    mtm wrote: »
    Moneypenny was pretty much a none-entity in the books so there's very little to be faithful to. Q obviously, doesn't appear in them at all either. They are blank slates and are not worthy of comparison with Bond himself as a character. They can do what they want with them as far as I'm concerned, as they're not the reason why I go and see a Bond film and were obviously not the reason why I read a Bond novel. As for M, well....Bernard Lee is still the best. However, Dench worked in the sense that it simply turned a tough paternal dynamic into a tough maternal one.

There's a lot of continuously unneccesary baiting happening in this thread recently and it's terribly difficult to read.

I don’t really agree with that to be honest, either you’re faithful to Fleming or you’re not. I think the producers, and in fact all producers of movies, realise that an adherence to the spirit of the book being adapted is rarely the same as total slavishness to every word, which is why only one of the Bond actors so far really gets close to fitting every part of the character (and even he had an accent which slipped into the north occasionally).

We all know from the comments of Broccoli and Wilson that black actors will be considered. They have ruled out women.

So what's the big deal here? I get people may not like the idea of a black actor as it goes against the grain and the character that was envisioned in the Fleming novels. However, we know that black actors will be considered.....Following on from that, it hardly seems controversial or 'baiting' to suggest a black actor who could do the job. In this case, Sope Dirisu.

mgiru45tpp51ri41.jpg?skj2io4l
    sope-dirisu_445853.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

We all know from the comments of Broccoli and Wilson that black actors will be considered. They have ruled out women.

So what's the big deal here? I get people may not like the idea of a black actor as it goes against the grain and the character that was envisioned in the Fleming novels. However, we know that black actors will be considered.....Following on from that, it hardly seems controversial or 'baiting' to suggest a black actor who could do the job. In this case, Sope Dirisu.

sope-dirisu_445853.jpg

It’s a good point: they have actually said that have they? If the producers are considering non-white actors then we can talk about them. He’s on my little list of actors who seem possible.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,302
    Skin colour aside, I don't see anything Bondian with Dirisu. He doesn't come close to looking as gentleman like (in lack of a better way to put it) as a younger Colin Salmon, for example.

zbiENag.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,041
    Following on from that, it hardly seems controversial or 'baiting' to suggest a black actor who could do the job.

The suggestion itself wasn't what I was referring to when I used the word 'baiting'.

I don’t really agree with that to be honest, either you’re faithful to Fleming or you’re not.

Yes, I agree. When it comes to the character of James Bond, you are either faithful to Fleming or you're not. It's no coincidence that my personal two favourite Bonds, Dalton and Connery (so obviously I'd contest the assertion you made later that there is only one, and there would have been three if Lazenby was a better actor, instead of functional) are pretty damn faithful. The rest are way below them both in that respect despite their respective entertainment values and individual strengths. But even then, I least bought that they would could have come from the same background, had the same upbringing.
    I think the producers, and in fact all producers of movies, realise that an adherence to the spirit of the book being adapted is rarely the same as total slavishness to every word.

And I am certainly aware of that, too. I think it was you and I that agreed that the books were essentially 'coffee table thrillers' and plotwise, yes they are. But they are very refined when it comes to who James Bond is. Nobody is advocating for total slavishness to every word, as that would be quite boring. Even the best films, almost all of which are adapted from a respective book, have never been 100% slavish to the same, often making improvements plotwise - but there is a difference between plot and character. Even then, the film and book still remain recognisable to each other. I respect that you disagree, but I remain fairly steadfast in the claim that changing the race of a main character is far, far different than changing that of a peripheral non-entity character that nobody really knew much about before the films made them what they are. I'm not saying it'll be worse, but it absolutely would be different. I've not read a convincing argument to the contrary as to why it would be 'no different' and why the Shaft comparison holds no water.

Not yet, at least.

But, to flip the coin for a minute - it is just fiction, and as I said to @Denbigh both today and previously when we chatted about this, it is an inevitability that we'll get a black Bond, and most people won't care as long as they get their usual tropes and entertainment. Most of the clamouring for a black Bond comes from that area, after all. And there is room to show lots of contrast with the source character and his prejudices that were carried over from his creator, and do something different. It won't be anything resembling Ian Fleming's James Bond, but it would be an interesting elseworld's take on the character, just like some of the other less accurate takes have been to varying degrees of creative success. It would be interesting to see what it would be like after the Craig era and its "old ways are the best" theme being rather bluntly displayed.

I'm about to start watching Gangs Of London, so I'll keep an eye on Sope Dirisu and see what he's made of. I haven't seen him in anything yet.
  • peterpeter Toronto

sope-dirisu_445853.jpg

Sope is a far more intriguing candidate than Timothée Chalamet.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Sope looks like an average African fellow to me. Why should he be Bond? Let's get serious about casting the next Bond I'd say. About time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Sope looks like an average African fellow to me. Why should he be Bond? Let's get serious about casting the next Bond I'd say. About time.
    I think we’ve had some of the most serious (and realistic) suggestions we’ve had in a while - even if we don’t all agree.
    I have this hunch that we're not really going to get "the next Bond" actor.
    I think Craig is probably it.
    Then I think Bond is going to go the way of the Tarzan film franchise, which more or less ended with Mike Henry. Afterwards there was television, cartoons and occasionally someone will come along and produce a new Tarzan film every 20 years or so. Some like GREYSTOKE are reasonably successful and attempt to be faithful to the original character. Other films end up forgotten.
    Perhaps after Bond goes public domain, someone will come along and produce another version of CR? They might even find someone who is a dead ringer for Hoagy Carmichael. By then the Hoagy Carmichael look might be back in style.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Then I think Bond is going to go the way of the Tarzan film franchise, which more or less ended with Mike Henry. Afterwards there was television, cartoons and occasionally someone will come along and produce a new Tarzan film every 20 years or so. Some like GREYSTOKE are reasonably successful and attempt to be faithful to the original character. Other films end up forgotten.
    Perhaps after Bond goes public domain, someone will come along and produce another version of CR? They might even find someone who is a dead ringer for Hoagy Carmichael. By then the Hoagy Carmichael look might be back in style.

I do often wonder just how long Bond as a series, in its current form, can keep going for.

I do often wonder just how long Bond as a series, in its current form, can keep going for.

With the longer gaps here to stay it seems to be winding down. I do have a feeling NTTD may be it until the characters becomes public domain. Hopefully that's not the case and Barbara and Michael are planning the follow up as we speak.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    They’re not going anywhere, They make so much money, and Broccoli and Wilson won’t be working on Bond 26 yet.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Broccoli might be but Isn't this the last film of M.Wilson?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,994

I think he looks very handsome and striking, and in his showreel it looks like he can carry himself in that Bond way to me. I need to watch something where he’s in the lead though.

With the longer gaps here to stay it seems to be winding down. I do have a feeling NTTD may be it until the characters becomes public domain. Hopefully that's not the case and Barbara and Michael are planning the follow up as we speak.

I don’t think the character will ever go public domain as the name is a registered trademark. I don’t fully understand all that stuff, but while Casino Royale might well go public domain no one could make an adaptation featuring James Bond as Danjaq own it.
    Skin colour aside, I don't see anything Bondian with Dirisu. He doesn't come close to looking as gentleman like (in lack of a better way to put it) as a younger Colin Salmon, for example.

zbiENag.jpg

Colin Salmon does look Bondian, or at least did in his prime, far more than any Black actor mentioned here nowadays.
    Ludovico wrote: »

zbiENag.jpg

Colin Salmon does look Bondian, or at least did in his prime, far more than any Black actor mentioned here nowadays.

True. Including his voice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Shame he shot himself in the foot. Didn’t Salmon start autographing the name James Bond before he’d even been considered to be cast in the role? Cause he was considered to be 007 after Brosnan right?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’ve always thought he’s a bit of a dodgy actor though. I sort of feel like he over pronounces everything, like he’s putting a voice on. Does anyone else get that?
    Shame he shot himself in the foot. Didn’t Salmon start autographing the name James Bond before he’d even been considered to be cast in the role? Cause he was considered to be 007 after Brosnan right?

I’m not sure about that. But he’d already been Robinson anyhow.

IMO he is a Bondian chap. But not suitable for the title role of Bond himself.