Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    A new name worth mentioning imo. I was watching survivor recently starring Milla Jovovich and Pierce Brosnan and thought James D'Arcy would have been worth auditioning for bond. He looks a bit like Ralph fiennes though.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQeS0CwzPQS6Uq2gZW0VBaXV9bd0x_UXtz5yTdTDVibO05STBhQ&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSbNLYe1eod6VJHfk6EmMHCyzqap5y-FYejSg-MKKalzCWyYxgj&usqp=CAU
    James_DArcy_%288008892914%29.jpg
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSZm1DRkr3n8BoeKQeNfu2oHNL4Orj2vdTVQBC0Vkg4NqoRydil&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTVYdGhQzaRm2aQ3969cErri06YXnsRmYhWXI9XBXUsDKlUx2Ug&usqp=CAU

If you mix James D'Arcy and Luke Evans, you won't be too far off the vague image I have of Bond when reading the books.

I always imagine Dalton whenever i am reading books but that's a new way of looking at it, never thought it like that. He has a decent voice as well.

I watched that 'Deadlier Than The Male' 60s spy craze movie the other day, and I can definitely see Richard Johnson as Fleming's Bond.

I like it, that stare has a dangerous vibe to it. Have to watch the film to hear his voice as well.

You can catch it on YouTube: I only found out about it from the YouTube thread on here :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    This is how Ian Fleming saw James Bond...
    kmux1hcqo1am.jpeg
    68w8opmihjwr.jpeg

Yes that’s why Michael Feast made me think of him. And he’s certainly got the cruel mouth I’d say.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,894
    Richard Johnson is my 'best Bond that never was'. And I daresay, if he had have been cast, he might have been my favourite. Look up a film called Danger Route, between that and Deadlier Than The Male, I we we get a pretty good indication of what we might have had if Terrance Young had cast gotten his way.

I'm keeping my hat in the ring for Scott Adkins
    549f9b624207ba468b605d97886260df.jpg
    (Naturally, I am picturing him clean shaven)

Dark broody looks, bags of charisma, and a considerable physical prowess. He has all the qualities he needs for Bond.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think Nicholas and Callum fall under the same bracket of casting, along with Aaron Taylor, and I’m not sure who else whose even suggested that would fit if that’s the route EON were to go down. Again I think The Batman will be a big influence on this possible route - if successful.

Taylor and Hoult look like Michael Cera next to Callum Turner.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Hoult still looks 16 to me. Also, I just don't like his facial features, particularly his mouth.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Richard Johnson is my 'best Bond that never was'. And I daresay, if he had have been cast, he might have been my favourite. Look up a film called Danger Route, between that and Deadlier Than The Male, I we we get a pretty good indication of what we might have had if Terrance Young had cast gotten his way.

Dark broody looks, bags of charisma, and a considerable physical prowess. He has all the qualities he needs for Bond.

Oh okay, I don’t know him: certainly has the look. What’s he been in?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

suavejmf wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I only just caught the Armani ad starring Nicholas Hoult on the telly, and although it's the usual load of perfume ad nonsense, I thought it was vaguely interesting in terms of him being the dashing leading man type in it. And don't forget that posing is a pretty important part of being Bond! :)
    He gets to wear a black suit, drive a classic sportscar and kiss a girl :)

He's a very good actor and a film star, and that helps me to see how he could work for Bond.

I pointed him out a couple of years ago; as time goes on he becomes a stronger and stronger candidate. This is the first time that he’s groomed in a way that says “Bond”
    I know it’s unlikely, but it would be interesting to see Hoult as a 60’s era 007 .

Oh yeah absolutely: I only really realised he could be a candidate from others like yourself suggesting him. But as you say, this ad is the first time I've seen him go into that handsome leading man sort of world.
    Goddamn, Soap is so perfect. Eon would be fools not to cast him as Jay Bee.

He’s perfect for Mr. Big.

He's looking pretty good for Bond. Not so much for Mr Big: he's the wrong nationality. Don't forget how important convincing accents are to you.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    It's more reason why am not really looking at the ultra-rugged candidates, coz I feel EON might go back to the more Classic style with Bond 7 and Bond 26. It's what has kept the franchise going I think....Maybe Bond 8 might be a James Bond in the mould of Daniel Craig that does something different again with the franchise.

Yeah I think you're right: I don't think they'll be looking for another Craig as the new one will just be compared unfavourably. But I do think one lasting legacy Craig may well leave is that toughness that Bond had really lacked since Lazenby: I think audiences will be expecting Bond to stay believably tough.

Disoriu is black and a good actor.....he’d be a great Mr Big. Also a physically imposing black character.

Wrong accent though: automatic rejection.

I’m glad the film producers don’t follow your mindset: we’d never had got Dench or Jeffery Wright or Naomie Harris. Or even Telly Savalas, or Lois Maxwell... there’s probably a longer list. I’m grateful they’re able to look outside the box a bit more.

None white actor for Bond: Also, auto rejection.

Sure.

So you’d have rejected all of those other actors too, and I think a lot of people are very fond of Lois Maxwell and Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. I’d say Savalas was maybe the best Blofeld too, despite looking entirely wrong for it and being from the wrong side of the planet.

I agree with you 100% but why would they reject Maxwell and Dench?

Well M isn’t a woman according to Fleming, and Moneypenny doesn’t have a Canadian accent in the books! :)

Ah yeah, lol, good points!

I wouldn’t have rejected any of the actors suggested. I just want the Bond character to remain a white Brit as he’s always been.

I’m not really as bothered about the casting of the supporting characters.
    Benny wrote: »
    This is how Ian Fleming saw James Bond...
    kmux1hcqo1am.jpeg
    68w8opmihjwr.jpeg

Exactly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,991

I only just caught the Armani ad starring Nicholas Hoult on the telly, and although it's the usual load of perfume ad nonsense, I thought it was vaguely interesting in terms of him being the dashing leading man type in it. And don't forget that posing is a pretty important part of being Bond! :)

He's a very good actor and a film star, and that helps me to see how he could work for Bond.

I pointed him out a couple of years ago; as time goes on he becomes a stronger and stronger candidate. This is the first time that he’s groomed in a way that says “Bond”
    I know it’s unlikely, but it would be interesting to see Hoult as a 60’s era 007 .

Oh yeah absolutely: I only really realised he could be a candidate from others like yourself suggesting him. But as you say, this ad is the first time I've seen him go into that handsome leading man sort of world.

He's looking pretty good for Bond. Not so much for Mr Big: he's the wrong nationality. Don't forget how important convincing accents are to you.
    It's more reason why am not really looking at the ultra-rugged candidates, coz I feel EON might go back to the more Classic style with Bond 7 and Bond 26. It's what has kept the franchise going I think....Maybe Bond 8 might be a James Bond in the mould of Daniel Craig that does something different again with the franchise.

Yeah I think you're right: I don't think they'll be looking for another Craig as the new one will just be compared unfavourably. But I do think one lasting legacy Craig may well leave is that toughness that Bond had really lacked since Lazenby: I think audiences will be expecting Bond to stay believably tough.

Disoriu is black and a good actor.....he’d be a great Mr Big. Also a physically imposing black character.

I’m glad the film producers don’t follow your mindset: we’d never had got Dench or Jeffery Wright or Naomie Harris. Or even Telly Savalas, or Lois Maxwell... there’s probably a longer list. I’m grateful they’re able to look outside the box a bit more.

Sure.

So you’d have rejected all of those other actors too, and I think a lot of people are very fond of Lois Maxwell and Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. I’d say Savalas was maybe the best Blofeld too, despite looking entirely wrong for it and being from the wrong side of the planet.

Well M isn’t a woman according to Fleming, and Moneypenny doesn’t have a Canadian accent in the books! :)

I wouldn’t have rejected any of the actors suggested. I just want the Bond character to remain a white Brit as he’s always been.

So you only believe in sticking to Fleming in the case of one character and none of the others he wrote? Doesn’t seem terribly faithful to me.

Connery: can’t do the accent; Lazenby: Australian; Moore: too blond; Brosnan: Irish; Craig: too blond. So that leaves us with one, who wasn’t much of a hit...
    :D
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

Sure.

So you only believe in sticking to Fleming in the case of one character and none of the others he wrote? Doesn’t seem terribly faithful to me.

Connery: can’t do the accent; Lazenby: Australian; Moore: too blond; Brosnan: Irish; Craig: too blond. So that leaves us with one, who wasn’t much of a hit...
    :D

They were all close enough, without straying too far into totally changing the character.

I’m not sure what you mean about Connery. Don’t you realise Fleming’s Bond is half Scottish, half Swiss...... I guess not.

Connery’s subtle Scotch accent is perfectly plausible.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Moneypenny was pretty much a none-entity in the books so there's very little to be faithful to. Q obviously, doesn't appear in them at all either. They are blank slates and are not worthy of comparison with Bond himself as a character. They can do what they want with them as far as I'm concerned, as they're not the reason why I go and see a Bond film and were obviously not the reason why I read a Bond novel. As for M, well....Bernard Lee is still the best. However, Dench worked in the sense that it simply turned a tough paternal dynamic into a tough maternal one.

There's a lot of continuously unneccesary baiting happening in this thread recently and it's terribly difficult to read.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    To me it just seems like more of “I’m gonna present my opinion as fact”, and anyone else’s opinion is wrong.
    Moneypenny was pretty much a none-entity in the books so there's very little to be faithful to. Q obviously, doesn't appear in them at all either. They are blank slates and are not worthy of comparison with Bond himself as a character. They can do what they want with them as far as I'm concerned, as they're not the reason why I go and see a Bond film and were obviously not the reason why I read a Bond novel. As for M, well....Bernard Lee is still the best. However, Dench worked in the sense that it simply turned a tough paternal dynamic into a tough maternal one.

There's a lot of continuously unneccesary baiting happening in this thread recently and it's terribly difficult to read.

Thank you. Every word is ‘bang on’.

Major Boothroyd did appear in the novel DN. But, again he wasn’t a ‘fleshed out character’. Rather, a ‘blank slate’ as you say.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,894

Oh okay, I don’t know him: certainly has the look. What’s he been in?

Mostly smaller scale action thrillers, he hasn't yet had the chance of a breakout film to a wider audience. He just needs that one chance, to take him up to the next level. He lost on Bruce Wayne/Batman, for the in development film. Which, providing the suit wouldn't limit him, I would have killed to see him as Batman.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    One interesting thing to note is M, Q & moneypenny has been missing in atleast one film, bond isn't so presence or changing their color might not make much difference but it could be a bit risky for bond. But well we can only make assumptions and have preferences.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,302
    A new name worth mentioning imo. I was watching survivor recently starring Milla Jovovich and Pierce Brosnan and thought James D'Arcy would have been worth auditioning for bond. He looks a bit like Ralph fiennes though.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQeS0CwzPQS6Uq2gZW0VBaXV9bd0x_UXtz5yTdTDVibO05STBhQ&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSbNLYe1eod6VJHfk6EmMHCyzqap5y-FYejSg-MKKalzCWyYxgj&usqp=CAU
    James_DArcy_%288008892914%29.jpg
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSZm1DRkr3n8BoeKQeNfu2oHNL4Orj2vdTVQBC0Vkg4NqoRydil&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTVYdGhQzaRm2aQ3969cErri06YXnsRmYhWXI9XBXUsDKlUx2Ug&usqp=CAU

If you mix James D'Arcy and Luke Evans, you won't be too far off the vague image I have of Bond when reading the books.

I always imagine Dalton whenever i am reading books but that's a new way of looking at it, never thought it like that. He has a decent voice as well.

More now than back when I read my first Bond novels, I struggle to picture the Bond actors when reading the novels. It's now always a vague image, which is somewhat similar to those two actors. Imagine Evans' face (the hair of course as described by Fleming), but slimmer, like D'Arcy's (the top image you posted is a good example) – and a slimmer body type too, like D'Arcy's. I always imagine Bond as being on the slimmer side, and less bulky, like Craig for example.

As for D'Arcy as Bond, I'd totally dig that, if only he was younger.

I would love to see Evans as bond, as you describe his face, although I'll have to see how he would look in Fleming describe hairstyle as well. After watching D'Arcy in survivor i thought he could have been worth for auditioned but too old now.

About your point on bond, yes he should indeed be a little slimmer if we follow the books closely that's why i always support Dalton as he wasn't very bulky like other actor's. He had some danger in his eyes as well. Only regret i have from his tenure is there wasn't a single great fight from his two film's as i always believed he was physically capable of that. Sean, George, Roger, Pierce, Daniel all had at least one fight Scene that we like but sadly Dalton didn't or couldn't get one.

I don't think I've seen Evans with a Bond-like hairstyle (as described in the books). I think his hair in The Great Train Robbery came closest – without the hair falling down over the right eyebrow.

tvreviw.jpg?w968h681

I think it's because of that mini-series, Evans' looks have become a part of how I imagine Bond when reading the novels.

Dalton's looks was spot on for a late 80's Bond, IMO. He was on the slimmer side (which is my preference), but I think it's a good thing that he was a contrast to the more muscular types we saw in action films in that era. He could've done with a proper good fight though, as you write – to really show the physically which I too think he had.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Concerning Dalton's Bond fight scenes, I think this is a great fight scene for Dalton's Bond and a highlight of the series....Necros was a worthy adversary indeed. Oh! and Barry's music....Hmmmm, Barry's music, if only he scored Licence To Kill.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,040

Major Boothroyd did appear in the novel DN. But, again he wasn’t a ‘fleshed out character’. Rather, a ‘blank slate’ as you say.

You're right about Boothroyd in Dr. No! My mistake. That one is next on my re-reading. I just finished FRWL. Looking forward to reading the Beretta jam chapter again.

As for who I imagine when reading the novels? It's usually Connery, still. I do like Evans look, though.
    To me it just seems like more of “I’m gonna present my opinion as fact”, and anyone else’s opinion is wrong.

You're right about Boothroyd in Dr. No! My mistake. That one is next on my re-reading. I just finished FRWL. Looking forward to reading the Beretta jam chapter again.

As for who I imagine when reading the novels? It's usually Connery, still. I do like Evans look, though.

It’s a great book, actually my favourite. But proves your point about those minor characters being fairly ‘blank slates’. Forgettable even. 👍

I don’t actually imagine any of the Bond actors when reading the books. But all the casting has been great....so far.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    No matter what though, again, EON will do what they want, so I think an open-mind should always be kept, even if you don’t agree with such casting.
    No matter what though, again, EON will do what they want, so I think an open-mind should always be kept, even if you don’t agree with such casting.

I agree, EON will do they want. If I don’t like the casting and it categorically changes the character, I won’t watch it.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,040

Yes, I've said it multiple times before that despite any reservations I may have about it, it's inevitable that they will go down that route eventually.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Yes, I've said it multiple times before that despite any reservations I may have about it, it's inevitable that they will go down that route eventually.
    +1.

I do think and hope it’ll be on Barbara’s terms though, rather than being something that’s considered a gimmick, as some believe it will be.
    Man, I can hardly wait for the next one.

Soap as Bond. Amir Khan as M. Elba as the baddie/primary lover. Frieda Pinto as Moneypenny. Eddie Redmayne as secondary (trans) lover.

Make it happen babs.
    Man, I can hardly wait for the next one.

Soap as Bond. Amir Khan as M. Elba as the baddie/primary lover. Frieda Pinto as Moneypenny. Eddie Redmayne as secondary (trans) lover.

Make it happen babs.

Ha ha! That’s Sope. But ha ha ha ha ha!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    This is gonna be a long process...
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

He would be great if he could act. However, he's staggeringly awful at it. Quite possibly one of the worst actors working in film today. I include Hollyoaks in that assessment too.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Concerning Dalton's Bond fight scenes, I think this is a great fight scene for Dalton's Bond and a highlight of the series....Necros was a worthy adversary indeed. Oh! and Barry's music....Hmmmm, Barry's music, if only he scored Licence To Kill.

Don't get me wrong @GadgetMan Dalton is my favorite bond. What i meant was he never really got the chance to showcase his fighting skill's. Sean had FRWL train fight, Lazenby gave a lot of fight scenes in a single film (might be the toughest bond physically), Roger had TMWTGG fight scene, Pierce had GoldenEye fight scene with 006 and Daniel has given more than one fight scene which we all love, as much i like Dalton he never really got the opportunity to do that, it wasn't his fault, maybe Glen wasn't much into it. Surprisingly, the only decent fight scene which was directed under glen was in OP.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I wish Dalton had gotten a proper James Bond adventure; he needed that third film. I also say this cause he never resonated with me, and it’s a shame cause he had the look, and Dalton is a great actor. People, please check out Penny Dreadful with him and Eva Green. Also written by John Logan, and produced by Sam Mendes. Soooo good.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247

Don't get me wrong @GadgetMan Dalton is my favorite bond. What i meant was he never really got the chance to showcase his fighting skill's. Sean had FRWL train fight, Lazenby gave a lot of fight scenes in a single film (might be the toughest bond physically), Roger had TMWTGG fight scene, Pierce had GoldenEye fight scene with 006 and Daniel has given more than one fight scene which we all love, as much i like Dalton he never really got the opportunity to do that, it wasn't his fault, maybe Glen wasn't much into it. Surprisingly, the only decent fight scene which was directed under glen was in OP.

Yeah, true @Resurrection. That's my point as well, I mean Bond vs Necros is the Best Dalton's Bond fight scene....even if he doesn't have much fight scenes....I know what you mean, like him brutally fighting....even something similar like Bond vs Peter Franks from DAF's elevator fight. And sure, Lazenby has the best fisticuffs of all the Bonds, which I still finding amazing, Considering how tough Craig's Bond is.