Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    He's got a good look, but I'd take the more experienced actor every time.
    Yeah, Hoult definitely has that edge.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Goddamn, Soap is so perfect. Eon would be fools not to cast him as Jay Bee.

He’s perfect for Mr. Big.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I only just caught the Armani ad starring Nicholas Hoult on the telly, and although it's the usual load of perfume ad nonsense, I thought it was vaguely interesting in terms of him being the dashing leading man type in it. And don't forget that posing is a pretty important part of being Bond! :)
    He gets to wear a black suit, drive a classic sportscar and kiss a girl :)

He's a very good actor and a film star, and that helps me to see how he could work for Bond.

I pointed him out a couple of years ago; as time goes on he becomes a stronger and stronger candidate. This is the first time that he’s groomed in a way that says “Bond”
    I know it’s unlikely, but it would be interesting to see Hoult as a 60’s era 007 .
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Anyone up for gathering a list of all the main names we’ve been discussing recently?
    Univex wrote: »
    You think it would be racist towards white people?

Hell, why not? It sure would fit the double standard logic, wouldn't it? Try seeing it the other way around.

But for me that isn't really the main deal. I like to stay close, very close to the source. That would be throwing the source into the sea, hook, line and sinker.

+1.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Hoult gets a thumbs up from me. He's 30, right?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yeah I could see Hoult and also not be horrified at the choice.

Aidan Turner I'd be willing to give a chance but I see that factor in NH that I just don't in AT, to each is own I guess.
    Yep...

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    We did get to see a darker side to Hoult in Kill Your Friends...

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I find it all interesting, it's fun actually...the different actors we all envisage as James Bond. But I just thought today, that it all depends on the direction EON takes with the new Bond. And history tells us EON don't repeat the style of the outgoing actor, I even think it's because the incoming actor always wants to standout by being different.

It's more reason why am not really looking at the ultra-rugged candidates, coz I feel EON might go back to the more Classic style with Bond 7 and Bond 26. It's what has kept the franchise going I think....Maybe Bond 8 might be a James Bond in the mould of Daniel Craig that does something different again with the franchise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,961
    talos7 wrote: »
    I only just caught the Armani ad starring Nicholas Hoult on the telly, and although it's the usual load of perfume ad nonsense, I thought it was vaguely interesting in terms of him being the dashing leading man type in it. And don't forget that posing is a pretty important part of being Bond! :)

He's a very good actor and a film star, and that helps me to see how he could work for Bond.

I pointed him out a couple of years ago; as time goes on he becomes a stronger and stronger candidate. This is the first time that he’s groomed in a way that says “Bond”
    I know it’s unlikely, but it would be interesting to see Hoult as a 60’s era 007 .

Oh yeah absolutely: I only really realised he could be a candidate from others like yourself suggesting him. But as you say, this ad is the first time I've seen him go into that handsome leading man sort of world.
    suavejmf wrote: »

He's looking pretty good for Bond. Not so much for Mr Big: he's the wrong nationality. Don't forget how important convincing accents are to you.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    It's more reason why am not really looking at the ultra-rugged candidates, coz I feel EON might go back to the more Classic style with Bond 7 and Bond 26. It's what has kept the franchise going I think....Maybe Bond 8 might be a James Bond in the mould of Daniel Craig that does something different again with the franchise.

Yeah I think you're right: I don't think they'll be looking for another Craig as the new one will just be compared unfavourably. But I do think one lasting legacy Craig may well leave is that toughness that Bond had really lacked since Lazenby: I think audiences will be expecting Bond to stay believably tough.

Oh yeah absolutely: I only really realised he could be a candidate from others like yourself suggesting him. But as you say, this ad is the first time I've seen him go into that handsome leading man sort of world.

He's looking pretty good for Bond. Not so much for Mr Big: he's the wrong nationality. Don't forget how important convincing accents are to you.

Yeah I think you're right: I don't think they'll be looking for another Craig as the new one will just be compared unfavourably. But I do think one lasting legacy Craig may well leave is that toughness that Bond had really lacked since Lazenby: I think audiences will be expecting Bond to stay believably tough.

Disoriu is black and a good actor.....he’d be a great Mr Big. Also a physically imposing black character.

He’s right for Bond in your opinion, I totally disagree with you.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think Nicholas and Callum fall under the same bracket of casting, along with Aaron Taylor, and I’m not sure who else whose even suggested that would fit if that’s the route EON were to go down. Again I think The Batman will be a big influence on this possible route - if successful.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Disoriu is black and a good actor.....he’d be a great Mr Big. Also a physically imposing black character.

Wrong accent though: automatic rejection.

I’m glad the film producers don’t follow your mindset: we’d never had got Dench or Jeffery Wright or Naomie Harris. Or even Telly Savalas, or Lois Maxwell... there’s probably a longer list. I’m grateful they’re able to look outside the box a bit more.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

I’m glad the film producers don’t follow your mindset: we’d never had got Dench or Jeffery Wright or Naomie Harris. Or even Telly Savalas, or Lois Maxwell... there’s probably a longer list. I’m grateful they’re able to look outside the box a bit more.

None white actor for Bond: Also, auto rejection.

Sure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Sure.

So you’d have rejected all of those other actors too, and I think a lot of people are very fond of Lois Maxwell and Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. I’d say Savalas was maybe the best Blofeld too, despite looking entirely wrong for it and being from the wrong side of the planet.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526

Sure.

So you’d have rejected all of those other actors too, and I think a lot of people are very fond of Lois Maxwell and Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. I’d say Savalas was maybe the best Blofeld too, despite looking entirely wrong for it and being from the wrong side of the planet.

I agree with you 100% but why would they reject Maxwell and Dench?

I keep trying to stay away from this #WhiteIsRight dumpster fire of a thread but I keep coming back :'(
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

Sure.

Savalas was indeed the best Blofeld and Maxwell was the best Moneypenny. They were both fantastic. I wouldn’t have rejected any of the actors you suggested. I just want the Bond character to remain a white Brit as he’s always been.

But, sure. If you like........

He might be ok in 5-10 years. Just maybe.
    A new name worth mentioning imo. I was watching survivor recently starring Milla Jovovich and Pierce Brosnan and thought James D'Arcy would have been worth auditioning for bond. He looks a bit like Ralph fiennes though.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQeS0CwzPQS6Uq2gZW0VBaXV9bd0x_UXtz5yTdTDVibO05STBhQ&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSbNLYe1eod6VJHfk6EmMHCyzqap5y-FYejSg-MKKalzCWyYxgj&usqp=CAU
    James_DArcy_%288008892914%29.jpg
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSZm1DRkr3n8BoeKQeNfu2oHNL4Orj2vdTVQBC0Vkg4NqoRydil&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTVYdGhQzaRm2aQ3969cErri06YXnsRmYhWXI9XBXUsDKlUx2Ug&usqp=CAU

If you mix James D'Arcy and Luke Evans, you won't be too far off the vague image I have of Bond when reading the books.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A new name worth mentioning imo. I was watching survivor recently starring Milla Jovovich and Pierce Brosnan and thought James D'Arcy would have been worth auditioning for bond. He looks a bit like Ralph fiennes though.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQeS0CwzPQS6Uq2gZW0VBaXV9bd0x_UXtz5yTdTDVibO05STBhQ&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSbNLYe1eod6VJHfk6EmMHCyzqap5y-FYejSg-MKKalzCWyYxgj&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSZm1DRkr3n8BoeKQeNfu2oHNL4Orj2vdTVQBC0Vkg4NqoRydil&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTVYdGhQzaRm2aQ3969cErri06YXnsRmYhWXI9XBXUsDKlUx2Ug&usqp=CAU

If you mix James D'Arcy and Luke Evans, you won't be too far off the vague image I have of Bond when reading the books.

I always imagine Dalton whenever i am reading books but that's a new way of looking at it, never thought it like that. He has a decent voice as well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Sure.

Well M isn’t a woman according to Fleming, and Moneypenny doesn’t have a Canadian accent in the books! :)

Sadly suavejmf’s very tight ‘must match Fleming and be the right nationality/ethnicity’ criteria means that Caroline Bliss would the ‘Penny we end up with... so that works well! :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Sure.

Well M isn’t a woman according to Fleming, and Moneypenny doesn’t have a Canadian accent in the books! :)

Ah yeah, lol, good points!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I always imagine Dalton whenever i am reading books but that's a new way of looking at it, never thought it like that. He has a decent voice as well.

I watched that 'Deadlier Than The Male' 60s spy craze movie the other day, and I can definitely see Richard Johnson as Fleming's Bond.

deadlier-than-the-male-1967-british-agent-bulldog-drummond-richard-johnson-bond.jpg?w=665

Also, I was watching the BBC version of 'A Caribbean Mystery' recently, and I was struck that Michael Feast looked rather right to me as a 50s Bond.

Michael%20Feast%20%20'Miss%20Marple'%20(1989)%201.10.jpg

1304143_300.jpg

• edited June 2020 Posts: 17,293

More now than back when I read my first Bond novels, I struggle to picture the Bond actors when reading the novels. It's now always a vague image, which is somewhat similar to those two actors. Imagine Evans' face (the hair of course as described by Fleming), but slimmer, like D'Arcy's (the top image you posted is a good example) – and a slimmer body type too, like D'Arcy's. I always imagine Bond as being on the slimmer side, and less bulky, like Craig for example.

As for D'Arcy as Bond, I'd totally dig that, if only he was younger.

I watched that 'Deadlier Than The Male' 60s spy craze movie the other day, and I can definitely see Richard Johnson as Fleming's Bond.

deadlier-than-the-male-1967-british-agent-bulldog-drummond-richard-johnson-bond.jpg?w=665

That stare Johnson makes there, that's very Bond-like to me! It also looks so effortlessly to him. Whenever I see modern day actors trying to pull off something similar, it feels so forced…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

More now than back when I read my first Bond novels, I struggle to picture the Bond actors when reading the novels. It's now always a vague image, which is somewhat similar to those two actors.

Yeah the only one I can just about picture is Lazenby, I think because he doesn't really have a personality on screen so you can sort of mentally fit him to how the book Bond acts.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,293

More now than back when I read my first Bond novels, I struggle to picture the Bond actors when reading the novels. It's now always a vague image, which is somewhat similar to those two actors.

Yeah the only one I can just about picture is Lazenby, I think because he doesn't really have a personality on screen so you can sort of mentally fit him to how the book Bond acts.

I've never pictured Lazenby myself, but whenever Bond does something physical in the novels (like a fight), I sometimes think of a few moments from OHMMS. I've not read OHMSS yet (but will be doing so soon), and I'm curious if – as it's a unique Bond film in many ways – I will picture Lazenby throughout.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This is how Ian Fleming saw James Bond...
    kmux1hcqo1am.jpeg
    68w8opmihjwr.jpeg
    But today, how many woman would find him attractive, and how many men would like to look like him?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I like it, that stare has a dangerous vibe to it. Have to watch the film to hear his voice as well.

More now than back when I read my first Bond novels, I struggle to picture the Bond actors when reading the novels. It's now always a vague image, which is somewhat similar to those two actors. Imagine Evans' face (the hair of course as described by Fleming), but slimmer, like D'Arcy's (the top image you posted is a good example) – and a slimmer body type too, like D'Arcy's. I always imagine Bond as being on the slimmer side, and less bulky, like Craig for example.

As for D'Arcy as Bond, I'd totally dig that, if only he was younger.

I would love to see Evans as bond, as you describe his face, although I'll have to see how he would look in Fleming describe hairstyle as well. After watching D'Arcy in survivor i thought he could have been worth for auditioned but too old now.

About your point on bond, yes he should indeed be a little slimmer if we follow the books closely that's why i always support Dalton as he wasn't very bulky like other actor's. He had some danger in his eyes as well. Only regret i have from his tenure is there wasn't a single great fight from his two film's as i always believed he was physically capable of that. Sean, George, Roger, Pierce, Daniel all had at least one fight Scene that we like but sadly Dalton didn't or couldn't get one.
    But today, how many woman would find him attractive, and how many men would like to look like him?

I think the trick is to get someone close to that, and still have something modern masculine vibe that women would like to see today.