Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    Like Idris Elba, how about casting as an original character who is a globe hoping, womanizing, suave spy; there’s no need to co-opt an established character with what would be essentially stunt casting.

That's the same as saying 'why co-opt an established character' by casting a blonde actor to play a brunette.

0_JS201228528.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Like Idris Elba, how about casting as an original character who is a globe hoping, womanizing, suave spy; there’s no need to co-opt an established character with what would be essentially stunt casting.

That's the same as saying 'why co-opt an established character' by casting a blonde actor to play a brunette.

0_JS201228528.jpg

No, it isn't.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I’m still for Callum Turner all the way, plus the guys been nominated for a BAFTA in the leading actor category for his role in The Capture.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

0_JS201228528.jpg

This is a ludicrous comparison every time its put forward.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Also keep in mind that people thought Nomi was stunt casting, and EON still did it, so whether it is or not, if they want to do it they will. That’s my opinion, but they should cast Callum ;)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that people thought Nomi was stunt casting, and EON still did it, so whether it is or not, if they want to do it they will. That’s my opinion, but they should cast Callum ;)

There is an immense difference between supporting characters and the central figure.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    There is an immense difference between supporting characters and the central figure.
    Sure, but doesn’t mean they wouldn’t consider doing it, for whatever reason. Maybe Barbara’s been watching Gangs of London during lockdown? Who knows?
    And round and round it goes ... 😏
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    It looks like we're in for the most competitive and interesting James Bond casting yet.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    It looks like we're in for the most competitive and interesting James Bond casting yet.
    Many possibilities...
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

0_JS201228528.jpg

No, it isn't.

+1. Not even close. Laughable.
    Just watched the first episode of Gang of London...holy heck, what a great opening episode.

One thing jumped out from that episode and that's Sope Dirisu. This guy has charisma, sex appeal and serious talent. It's basically a 90 minute audition for James Bond. He has such swagger, confidence and athleticism. He's pretty damn amazing in the fight scenes as well - which, FYI, are pretty amazingly directed.

Looking over Dirisu's planned projects, it seems to me that his stock is severely rising. In fact, since Gangs of London premiered, he has been on a number of 'Next James Bond' lists online. If the show wasn't on Sky but the BBC, he'd be getting maximum exposure. Though it's probably too intense for Auntie.

I think we are getting to the point where someone like Dirisu is perfect. He's young enough to lead the franchise for the next 10 years or so - plus, he's a hot commodity who is more than capable of doing the job.

dunhill-dylan-jones-baftas-filmmakers-dinner-party-london-uk-shutterstock-editorial-10542931bd.jpg
    Gangs-of-London-Elliot-actor-2428688.jpg?r=1589783675394

He’d be a great Mr. Big.
    I am now firmly on the Dirisu train. My partner couldn't stop gushing about how fit he is.

Don't drop this Sope, Eon.
    I'm getting very tired of this and frankly, it's putting me off. Bond is getting to be just one more thing people are getting wrong, and I can't, for the life of me, be part of this anymore, risking not being able to like enjoy it. So be it, take it all, push forward your agendas and tendentious notions, I stopped caring a while ago.

It's like the automotive industry. The beauty of it, the sportsmanship, the design, the culture, it's all gone. Thank god for the classics. And this goes well with Bond, for me. Thank god for the classics.

Cary on. I'll keep popping by and throwing names you'll find the need to fight against just because they fit well in the part.

Cheerio.
    I am now firmly on the Dirisu train. My partner couldn't stop gushing about how fit he is.

Don't drop this Sope, Eon.

‘Nope’ Dirisu!
    Univex wrote: »
    I'm getting very tired of this and frankly, it's putting me off. Bond is getting to be just one more thing people are getting wrong, and I can't, for the life of me, be part of this anymore, risking not being able to like enjoy it. So be it, take it all, push forward your agendas and tendentious notions, I stopped caring a while ago.

It's like the automotive industry. The beauty of it, the sportsmanship, the design, the culture, it's all gone. Thank god for the classics. And this goes well with Bond, for me. Thank god for the classics.

Cary on. I'll keep popping by and throwing names you'll find the need to fight against just because they fit well in the part.

Cheerio.

@Univex Eon haven’t ruined Bond yet! The casting isn’t done....come back!!!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Cheerio.

Is this a reference to Cary Fukunaga? Cary... Grant? ;P
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677

Cheerio.

Is this a reference to Cary Fukunaga? Cary... Grant? ;P

eheh, subliminal ;)

*Carry
    suavejmf wrote: »

Cheerio.

@Univex Eon haven’t ruined Bond yet! The casting isn’t done....come back!!!

That's true. In EON I trust. Really, I'm a fan. I'm not a fan of a part of the fanbase, though ;) Thank heavens there are people like yourself around.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

Cheerio.

Not sure I get you automative industry comparison...got a tad lost there.

Well, I think you really need to see Gangs of London first to understand the appeal of Sope Dirisu. He's really the full package. Undeniably has the talent and chops to be the next Bond.

MV5BMDMwOTI1NmYtMWY3ZC00NjQxLWFlZDctMzc5ODdiZWM4MzY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3NDgwNzU@._V1_.jpg

0_JS201228528.jpg

This is a ludicrous comparison every time its put forward.

I mean, it's 100% the same.

People said you have to be tall, brunette, handsome to be Bond. Then in came Daniel Craig. He was accused of being ugly, short and blonde. However, he's been nothing short of terrific. Both classic and entirely modern.

The part evolves. He is the epitome of that notion. A choice like Sope Dirisu just furthers that thesis.

Let's be real Daniel Craig looked a hell of a lot less like James Bond when he was cast. If it wasn't for Layer Cake, I'd never have seen his potential.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,034

Cheerio.

@Univex, please...

thumb_stick-around-happy-birthday-arnold-schwarzenegger-51974454.png
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Double Post.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    This video arrive at perfect time.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677

Not sure I get you automative industry comparison...got a tad lost there.

Yes, you definitely got a tad lost there.

BTW, the only thing about DC that didn't look like Bond was his hair colour. He even looks a bit like Hoagy, and he has that cruel mouth and blue eyes. Comparing hair colour to race is ludicrous. But I've been saying that much for ages and pages and you lot just want to insist on a moot point.

But yes, do carry on.

Oh, btw, this is what James Bond 007 should look like:

tumblr_oo59wbPpgj1sqf0kmo1_400.png
    David-Gandy-Henry-Poole-and-Co-Fall-Winter-2014-Campaign-004-800x1200.jpg
    2091061188f7fec3c4474ddfc4d889e8.jpg
    66e6455c088ca78abbdda8c94f38200e.jpg
    2c2151ca1226b85585ec3ab2f65edf8d.jpg

Any REAL candidates? Besides Luke Evans, maybe?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Love those pics of gandy @Univex . Indeed that's how James Bond should look like.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think until EON says they’re not considering anyone of colour, the debate will keep coming up and rightly so. I’m all for a James Bond who perfectly represents the character as written, but I’m also one of the ones open to a black Bond if EON wanted, and I don’t think one is worthy of discussion more than the other - seeing as EON could literally do anything.

Either way, again, I’ll say that I think Callum Turner could easily represent both classic and modern James Bond. I also think he can easily grow into what you were hinting @Univex :)
    original.gif
    I think until EON says they’re not considering anyone of colour, the debate will keep coming up and rightly so. I’m all for a James Bond who perfectly represents the character as written, but I’m also one of the ones open to a black Bond if EON wanted, and I don’t think one is worthy of discussion more than the other - seeing as EON could literally do anything.

Either way, again, I’ll say that I think Callum Turner could easily represent both classic and modern James Bond. I also think he can easily grow into what you were hinting @Univex :)
    original.gif

For how long have you been his publicist? ;)

• DenbighDenbigh UK

original.gif

For how long have you been his publicist? ;)
    I wish haha, could do with that kinda money, but in all seriousness, I know go on about it, but I honestly struggle to champion for anyone else to the same extent. He just fits with what I have in mind for Bond 26, and think that type of casting could benefit the franchise :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think until EON says they’re not considering anyone of colour, the debate will keep coming up and rightly so.[/img]

Even if they did rule it out, they would never say so.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think until EON says they’re not considering anyone of colour, the debate will keep coming up and rightly so.[/img]
    Even if they did rule it out, they would never say so.
    ...which means the debate and discussion can and will continue. People can argue against a female Bond easily because Barb said in so many words herself he’ll never be one (while she’s producing), but we’ve never had that for people of colour so again the possibilities are endless.

original.gif

Cool, almost like he's being scolded by Ralph Fiennes's M in his office....even if I know the film this is from. Anyway, I like the fact that Callum is seen as a Dark horse, gives him a chance, I wouldn't want him to be too overblown like some names.