Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

This is what I feel was SP's big issue (same could be said of SF too). Wonder what Brosnan could have done in the role with better scripts. There are non-Bond films where I feel he has more to work with.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The script is where it begins and ends. You can get the best actors and throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the production, but if the script is trash, there isn't much salvation in store.

Or in Eon's case just scrap the script a few months before filming and start again!

great-idea.png
  • MooreFun wrote: »
    I hope so. Cavill could bring back some much needed levity, and with enthusiasm for the role stick around for a while.

But he's so wooden how would he bring levity?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    :))
    If memory serves me, Justice League was intended as two films not one. The idea was scrapped and Justice League was self-contained and underperformed at the box office. My guess is Cavill thought he'd appear in two Justice Leagues and then move on with his career? It's not a huge shock that he's left the role. I don't know if he was under contract for another Man of Steel type film (?) but I doubt he'd want to be playing Superman for many years. I'm sure the money is great but we all know his main aim is to play Bond. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Something like that. He was to appear in a two-parter Justice League and one more Man of Steel film.
    (Going off-topic for a moment, hope no-one minds)

The DC films have struggled compared to Marvel's huge box office successes so who knows, DC may want to reboot Batman and Superman with new actors? Some fans disliked the darker take on Superman. People liked Chris Nolan's take on Batman but Zack Snyder's take on the Superman/Batman universe was a bit more divisive. Oh well...

Ricard Madden
  • M_Blaise wrote: »
    MooreFun wrote: »
    I hope so. Cavill could bring back some much needed levity, and with enthusiasm for the role stick around for a while.

Not whining about his Vesper would help...

I suspect Cavill will be able to look like he enjoys his job too.
  • RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote: »
    With good writing, He would be a great Bond. It's not his fault the DCU sucked.

This makes no sense. The guy has zero range, so good or bad writing you’ll still be getting the same one note performance.
    RC7 wrote: »

This makes no sense. The guy has zero range, so good or bad writing you’ll still be getting the same one note performance.

I'm not sure how. It's easy to understand what I said. The writing is on the wall.
  • RC7RC7

I'm not sure how. It's easy to understand what I said. The writing is on the wall.

Writing cannot elevate an actor as limited as Cavill. You just have a decent film with a duff Bond. The guy hasn’t developed his craft in the last decade. That, and you can’t buy, learn or borrow charisma, of which he has none and which is the most important aspect.

Writing cannot elevate an actor as limited as Cavill. You just have a decent film with a duff Bond. The guy hasn’t developed his craft in the last decade. That, and you can’t buy, learn or borrow charisma, of which he has none and which is the most important aspect.

He hasn't had the potential to become something greater. You can only grow so much with the same diet. He had plenty of charisma in Justice League and has it in interviews. He has the potential to be a great Bond with the right team of filmmakers to back him up. Bond doesn't need to be played by a thespian.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's strange seeing Bond fans use the "Craigisnotbond" volcabulary to describe other prospective Bond actors. Tom Hardy is too "Thug", and Cavill lacks charisma. Oh, how times have changed.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Considering that a delay is likely and that the series could possibly reboot in 2020. Could we possibly be looking at the Cavill-era beginning soon?
    Let’s hope not.

Heh. Harsh but to the point. :P

Henry Cavill might seem a bit old hat by the time Bond 26 goes into production. Assuming Eon hasn't sold up and Babs and MG aren't living the high life on some remote island, they'll probably go for a fresher face? Having said that Craig wasn't a new actor when he got the part. Broccoli preferred Craig to Cavill back in 2005 so history may repeat itself in the future. Cavill may be in the race but not take first place.
    Craig had made a number of appearances in films before, but I remember that at the time of his announcement, hardly anyone on these forums had heard of him before.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    One things for sure if Cavill did get the role he'd have no problem floating in any water based scenes.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,512
    It's strange seeing Bond fans use the "Craigisnotbond" volcabulary to describe other prospective Bond actors. Tom Hardy is too "Thug", and Cavill lacks charisma. Oh, how times have changed.

The difference is we’re not abandoning the series, or petitioning EON, or starting websites or Facebook groups. People have voiced criticism over prospective candidates since year dot. Nothing new here.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    One things for sure if Cavill did get the role he'd have no problem floating in any water based scenes.

Ha ha.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s interesting, at first glance, Craig did not leap out as suitable for Bond and he went on to establish himself to be , in the minds of many, the best since Connery.
    Cavill, on the other hand, at a glance, looks like an ideal candidate. But for me the more I see of him, the more disenchanted I become. He appears to lack a screen presence and charisma that are so vital. What’s equally frustrating is that far too often there is an awareness that he’s “acting”
    I haven’t written him off completely; possibly the right material, and director can bring out his best, but as of now , for me, his stock is dropping.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,403
    It seems Warner didn't want to develop a Superman film, with or without Cavill:
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/henry-cavill-exits-superman-dc-universe-1202938050/

Which seems odd considering the buzz he's getting from Fallout. Clearly, they don't see the need to capitalise on it and want to go in a different direction.

It's rather odd that they don't want to make a Superman film, since he is one of the most recognisiable figures in pop culture and a sure-bet piece of IP. I think Warners recent Superman films have misunderstood the character. Bryan Singer's film was overly nostalgic and self-reverential, whilst Zack Snyder's film was angst-ridden and moody.

I think they just needed to make a primary-coloured and charming film. Something that was optimistic and fun.

Henry Cavill never really broke through after Man of Steel. He was never really given the material to succeed in the DC films, which is a shame. However, he did sink himself on numerous occasions. For example look at this bizarre video he posted on Instagram yesterday in response to the news. Dude looks like he's about to have a breakdown. Either that, or being pretty doesn't buy you a sense of humour....

He showed enough charm in UNCLE and brawn in Fallout to make him appropriate for Bond. However, there's just this weird stink around Cavill as an actor which makes him a dubious property for any studio to deal with.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 1,661

Perhaps someone should start a "Nooneshouldplaybond" website. That would cover everyone. :P

Re Cavill's Instagram video - perhaps he's a fan of Monty Python? Their humour was rather abstract. It's a strange video. More 'weird' than 'funny' (imho).

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/henry-cavill-exits-superman-dc-universe-1202938050/

Which seems odd considering the buzz he's getting from Fallout. Clearly, they don't see the need to capitalise on it and want to go in a different direction.

It's rather odd that they don't want to make a Superman film, since he is one of the most recognisiable figures in pop culture and a sure-bet piece of IP. I think Warners recent Superman films have misunderstood the character. Bryan Singer's film was overly nostalgic and self-reverential, whilst Zack Snyder's film was angst-ridden and moody.

I think they just needed to make a primary-coloured and charming film. Something that was optimistic and fun.

Henry Cavill never really broke through after Man of Steel. He was never really given the material to succeed in the DC films, which is a shame. However, he did sink himself on numerous occasions. For example look at this bizarre video he posted on Instagram yesterday in response to the news. Dude looks like he's about to have a breakdown. Either that, or being pretty doesn't buy you a sense of humour....

He showed enough charm in UNCLE and brawn in Fallout to make him appropriate for Bond. However, there's just this weird stink around Cavill as an actor which makes him a dubious property for any studio to deal with.

I actually find that quite funny,made me laugh.
    Must be mine and Henry's weird English humour.
    barryt007 wrote: »

It could also be an inside joke for all we know!

Indeed,Torg,it could well be.

Made me laugh though,and he doesn't seem bothered about losing the role,i think he was fed up with it anyway tbh.

Indeed,Torg,it could well be.

Made me laugh though,and he doesn't seem bothered about losing the role,i think he was fed up with it anyway tbh.

That's the impression I got from the video too. He's starred in enough Hollywood productions to pick up some nice roles going forward – maybe even Bond if things work out that way.

Re. Cavill as Bond: I can't see him playing the same type of Bond as Craig does; it will probably need to be a more lighthearted era for him to be considered, I think.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,790
    bondjames wrote: »
    Fine by me if he did.
    Agreed. He's not my #1 pick, but I'd fine with him.

Not sure how the Cavill/Superman situation will play out though I would at this point pick him as the next Bond.

I don’t mind opinions but when an actor is cast he is cast. Like if turner is cast then I would have to deal with it but o hope it never happens
  • MooreFun wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Not whining about his Vesper would help...

I suspect Cavill will be able to look like he enjoys his job too.

S

A lack of charisma based on various roles just sounds like a legitimate criticism.
    I wonder if that weird Instagram video won't go down well with Warner Bros? It feels a bit like a piss take? Perhaps Henry knows it's the end so he doesn't care. On the other hand, Pierce2Daniel may be right and Cavill has had a breakdown!

Get well soon, Henry! ;)

• edited September 2018 Posts: 17,379
    He looks like a guy who likes (making) jokes.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't see how these jokes are offensive or off-putting as some others do. It's perfectly comedic. He looks like a guy I'd hang out with and make jokes over a couple of pints.