Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

dinovelvet wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wonder why people are so excited about Rupert Friend, as he's been awful in every film I've seen him in.

I was a proponent initially, but am quickly losing confidence. I don't think he quite has the look for the job personally (a bit awkward). Box office will suffer imho if he is hired.

I am a big fan of Tom Hiddleston. I think he'd bring the best of everything the the table (Roger Moore irony, Connery machismo and a little bit of Craig/Dalton vulnerability).

Completely agree about Hiddleston, even though I think he's too famous now to be signed.

Tom Hiddleston...and machismo in the same sentence? I...I...do not see it. Frankly it looks like he'd struggle against a stray gust of wind, never mind against someone like Oddjob.

Anyway, I think the same thing that applies to him applies to a lot of the candidates mentioned here - once you've done a multi-film huge blockbuster action/superhero role, you're not gonna be Bond. Why? EON wants to create their own hero, not borrow a hero who has been made by Marvel or whoever else. Look at who the final candidates for the gig were last time - Craig, Cavill, Worthington, none of them had any baggage from action blockbusters.

So I think realistically we can forget Cavill, Fassbender, Hiddleston, Hemsworth, and anyone else who is heavily associated with other blockbusters. Who does that leave us then? I'd say Dan Stevens is in good standing right now, he's got some buzz/hype going. I agree that Jamie Bell might be the kind of name thrown into the mix, especially if DC recommends him to EON. Though apparently he's 5'7, might work against him.

Good points.

Yes, I think Dan Stevens could be worth keeping an eye on as well.
    'Course, now I realize I've just contradicted myself as Jamie Bell is in a Fantastic Four movie...but I don't know if playing a CGI rock monster rules you out for Bond? :|
    Getafix wrote: »
    It's not Owen's appearance that disqualifies him, but his voice. He has one of the most depressing, boring voices of any actor I know. He's a decent actor but always comes across as a bit dreary
    Completely agree with this.

JCRendle wrote: »
    It's not Owen's appearance that disqualifies him, but his voice. He has one of the most depressing, boring voices of any actor I know. He's a decent actor but always comes across as a bit dreary
    Completely agree with this.

Maybe his voice taints my perception, but I always thought Owen looked like a veteran boxer who drinks too much and had too many fights.
  • Just saw The Counselor for the first time. I'm sold on Fassbender. If only he was a few years younger.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    If they were looking for a seemless transition Barry Sloan would be a good choice for a continuation to Dan's tenure. Similar voice tone and delivery.

http://i1.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article5791247.ece/alternates/s1227b/3096567.jpg

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35800000/Regard-Magazine-October-2013-barry-sloane-35867901-960-629.jpg

Jamie Bell? Are you guys crazy? He is a nice guy, as everything about him is nice at best. Nothing will ever transform him into Bond.

Please, for the Ladies, let the guy be a man at least.
    Not that I care really, but just saying...
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Jamie Bell? Are you guys crazy? He is a nice guy, as everything about him is nice at best. Nothing will ever transform him into Bond.

Well, say Dan does 25 probably 2017 Jamie Bell would be 31 if there was then Bond 26 in 2019 Bell would be 33 looks wise as per picture below I would say he is very much a man not a boy anymore

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Jamie-Bell-Ant-Man-Rumor.jpg
    Bell wouldn't be a bad choice a few years down the road.

I'm still hoping that Rupert Friend at least gives another audition for the part. He would be my top choice at the moment.
    Germanlady wrote: »

I'm not saying I'd want to see him as Bond, but I've seen worse names mentioned on here :) He'll be a British actor in his 30s when Daniel steps down (and DC might even give him a glowing recommendation to EON). Though like I pointed out earlier, he's 5"7 so that might be a strike against him
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dear EON, I hope you disregard this thread when the time comes.
    Hahahaha sorry guys and gals, but I might have to agree here - and I've made some suggestions in this thread.

And for the record, Jamie Bell is 5'7''.... He will therefore NEVER be Bond. The end.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 709

I'm sure they're enjoying it for the comedy value alone! Not singling out anyone here, but I do see a distinct lack of imagination in some of these picks, along the lines of "This person has played a blockbuster action hero, therefore he should play another blockbuster action hero!".

Here's a quick cut-out-and-keep guide to who is and isn't viable for the next Bond.

Has your candidate played a superhero or other big action lead? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is he an established 'name' actor who can command 7 figure paydays? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is he American? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is it Idris Elba? If yes - he's not playing Bond.

If the answer to all of the above is no, then post his name here and we'll all criticize it and tell you why he isn't suitable :)
    Dan Stevens
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Dan Stevens

Not bad, but I think he's lacking some of the edge. I've only seen him in Downton Abbey though so maybe I don't have the right context.

I'd prefer someone who can project some menace - that's why I like Hiddleston, despite his somewhat slight build. To me, he's like a younger Fassbender.

I agree that Jamie Bell wouldn't work. A sick joke imho.
    I think it will be someone no one is currently talking about that much. It is still a few years off I think that they'll replace DC.

Dan Stevens just seems like a possible.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    True. Stevens may be an under the radar possible.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    I've only seen him in Downton Abbey

You should check out "The Guest".
    IMO, he has the best mixture of looks/age/acting capabilities/unknownness of all that are mentioned so far.

True. Stevens may be an under the radar possible.

He's under the radar...right now, he's going to be Beast in a live action Beauty and the beast remake. Presumably a lot of prosthetics and/or CGI involved, so it won't make him ultra recognizable. I wonder if Marvel/DC have taken an interest in him? I remember seeing his name on one of those "10 actors creating a buzz in Hollywood" type lists, though can't find the link right now.

Assuming he doesn't do some kind of Bond competitor action/superhero movie in the next 2-3 years, he has to be a genuine contender if DC steps down after Bond 25.
  • Dear EON, I hope you disregard this thread when the time comes.

I hope they won't disregard the part where we don't want Elba, Cavill or Dornan.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    I think if they were looking now Aiden Turner from Poldark would be the bookmakers favourite.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 14,844
    dinovelvet wrote: »

I'm sure they're enjoying it for the comedy value alone! Not singling out anyone here, but I do see a distinct lack of imagination in some of these picks, along the lines of "This person has played a blockbuster action hero, therefore he should play another blockbuster action hero!".

Here's a quick cut-out-and-keep guide to who is and isn't viable for the next Bond.

Has your candidate played a superhero or other big action lead? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is he an established 'name' actor who can command 7 figure paydays? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is he American? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is it Idris Elba? If yes - he's not playing Bond.

If the answer to all of the above is no, then post his name here and we'll all criticize it and tell you why he isn't suitable :)

That pretty much sums it up for me. I would also add to this: is he about Daniel Craig's age? if yes-he's not playing Bond.
    I totally distrust Elba's motives when commenting about Bond. He makes false statements, and I don't for a minute think his phony comment "I blame Craig for starting the rumor" was in jest. He will fire up the politically correct press to trash Craig and SP as a means - he thinks - to get Elba cast for B25. I was watching two black correspondents on CNN a few nights ago, and both were pushing Elba for Bond in an evening entertainment segment. The female correspondent said that Craig's job as Bond had "ended."

Babs must find Elba's campaigning obnoxious. There is certainly a history of actors like Broz getting lots of fan support for a new Bond, but this is different. A lot of this push is political and it also involves an actor aggressively trying to force EON's hand which is unprecedented. If EON says anything about Elba, even noting his age, the true negating issue here, they will get bashed for being racist. This could get ugly, particularly if SP doesn't perform. If EON does recast for B25 or B26, it could be great fun to see them give the role to a talented, young black actor. Elba would have a stroke.

Many comments on this and other Bond sites note Elba's age as a deal breaker, but I would bet that we will see another comment from Elba noting how the online Bond fans badly want him to take over the role. Betcha.
    Not online Bond fans, just people who want a black person playing an icon role. That easy. Its not HIS fans, its people who vote for black. They would go for Mickey Mouse, if that was black.
    Time for an elbanotbond side. He starts to deserve it. DC didnt.
    Yes, he certainly does deserve it. But, this is where the political issue pops up. If Elba were white, he would have already received some serious criticism online, and certainly from EON for pushing his campaign for a role that another actor already has. Where are the public campaigns by actors for other major roles that are already filled? Elba's aggressive campaigning is unusual, it's unprofessional. But everyone is too frightened to comment as they will immediately be attacked for being a racist.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 14,844
    smitty wrote: »
    I totally distrust Elba's motives when commenting about Bond. He makes false statements, and I don't for a minute think his phony comment "I blame Craig for starting the rumor" was in jest. He will fire up the politically correct press to trash Craig and SP as a means - he thinks - to get Elba cast for B25. I was watching two black correspondents on CNN a few nights ago, and both were pushing Elba for Bond in an evening entertainment segment. The female correspondent said that Craig's job as Bond had "ended."

Babs must find Elba's campaigning obnoxious. There is certainly a history of actors like Broz getting lots of fan support for a new Bond, but this is different. A lot of this push is political and it also involves an actor aggressively trying to force EON's hand which is unprecedented. If EON says anything about Elba, even noting his age, the true negating issue here, they will get bashed for being racist. This could get ugly, particularly if SP doesn't perform. If EON does recast for B25 or B26, it could be great fun to see them give the role to a talented, young black actor. Elba would have a stroke.

Many comments on this and other Bond sites note Elba's age as a deal breaker, but I would bet that we will see another comment from Elba noting how the online Bond fans badly want him to take over the role. Betcha.

Even more than his age, which IS a major issue, it is Idris Elba's attitude that disqualifies him as Bond permanently. When you want such an iconic role, you shut up about it. You don't speak to the medias, you don't brag about it, you certainly don't blame the actor currently in place for anything.

I used to have a lot of respect and admiration for Idris Elba, whom I loved in The Wire. Not anymore.

Speaking of The Wire, spoiler alert for those who haven't watched it, but I am re-watching the series now and I will oh so enjoy this scene, on so many levels:
    The irony of all this is if he had remained professional, and stopped trying to shove his casting down EON's throat, he may very well have gotten the role for a few films as he is a talented, charismatic actor. But I would think attitude is crucial to EON given how tough and long the shoots are.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Elba should team up with Quentin Tarantino and make their own original Spy series. I'd watch it.
    smitty wrote: »
    The irony of all this is if he had remained professional, and stopped trying to shove his casting down EON's throat, he may very well have gotten the role for a few films as he is a talented, charismatic actor. But I would think attitude is crucial to EON given how tough and long the shoots are.

His age would have been enough to disqualify him alone IMO. 42 now, the next Bond after SP in three years at the earliest... And IF there is a recast Bond 25 would most likely take a bit longer... There is no way Elba could be Bond. Roger Moore was Bond at 45, but he looked younger and it was in a time when they could still make a Bond movie every year. And if I am not mistaken Moore was supposed to be a transitional Bond.

Anyway, now who would want to work with him at EON?