Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Fassbender is a good call. I always thought that Dominic Cooper was a good option...a good actor with the right look and English suaveness. At 5 ft/ 9.5 inches he's probably a tad too short though. I want Craig for at least 2 more films yet though.
    From an interview carried out yesterday with Babs and Mike

Q: What are your thoughts on Idris Elba as James Bond? Is that something we could still see happening?
    Wilson: I think he’d make a great Bond.

Broccoli: I think it’s always like asking a woman who is going up the aisle who her next husband is going to be. Daniel Craig is Bond. So ask me when we’re looking for a new Bond, which will hopefully not be for a long time.

Full interview here http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/424095-cs-interview-spectre-producers-barbara-broccoli-and-michael-g-wilson

No chance. I also here they are casting Boyz in the Hood 2 with Colin Firth in the lead role. :))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Q: What are your thoughts on Idris Elba as James Bond? Is that something we could still see happening?

Broccoli: I think it’s always like asking a woman who is going up the aisle who her next husband is going to be. Daniel Craig is Bond. So ask me when we’re looking for a new Bond, which will hopefully not be for a long time.

Full interview here http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/424095-cs-interview-spectre-producers-barbara-broccoli-and-michael-g-wilson

I bet they get so sick and tired of being asked the Elba question - although I dont see how anyone could accuse them of being racist if they just come out and say 'DC is contracted for another one so Elba will be too old when we come to recast. End of.' But then I suppose they would be hit by accusations of ageism.

I found this the most revealing statemment:

Q: Now that Naomie Harris has been revealed as Moneypenny, is she going to be stuck behind a desk or will she still be heading out into the field?

Broccoli: You can’t keep this one behind a desk. This Moneypenny is very active. She is key to the story and key to helping Bond on his mission. She’s not deskbound.

*sigh*

Is she a secretary or a field agent? Make your minds FFS but dont have her sitting behind a desk in M's outer office at the end of SF and then popping up all over the globe with a gun.
    I hope your right on all counts.
    Dornan seems to be off the cards more than ever now, considering they're planning on making Fifty Shades sequels.

Yes I also thought he was pretty weak in 50 Shades.

After Craig I think they'll want another 'proper' actor. Dornan comes across as a bit lightweight - reminiscent of Brosnan.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Getafix wrote: »
    Dornan seems to be off the cards more than ever now, considering they're planning on making Fifty Shades sequels.

Yes I also thought he was pretty weak in 50 Shades.

After Craig I think they'll want another 'proper' actor. Dornan comes across as a bit lightweight - reminiscent of Brosnan.

I secretly agree.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,661

I like her answer. I think she's right not to mention names while the current actor - Daniel Craig - is playing the role. Would seem a bit inappropriate, perhaps.

Personally, I don't see any Bond vibe in Idris Elba - his age would also be reason why he's unlikely to be the next Bond - but I'm sure his fans see potential. Viva la difference in opinion! :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Fassenbender is too old.

I still contend that Jai Courtney is a terrific choice.

article-2604005-1D16877C00000578-560_634x456.jpg
  • I hope it´s not Elba because of his physique. He´s taller than Craig but still looks sorta stubby. They´re both way too buff and it affects their posture... Why can't the cast someone with Timothy Dalton's body? He was a little too skinny, but incredibly elegant. As gorgeous as Elba is, I don't want another meat-neck as Bond again. Skin color wise I don't care. Moneypenny and Leiter are black, so what's the big deal if Bond is too?

Anyway, I don´t know who exactly mentioned Matthew Goode but he's the best name that's come up so far, in my opinion. He's tall, a decent actor and has a gorgeous face with classic Bond features (blue eyes, black hair, Hoagy Carmichael jawline).

Wonder why people are so excited about Rupert Friend, as he's been awful in every film I've seen him in.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I hope it´s not Elba because of his physique. He´s taller than Craig but still looks sorta stubby. They´re both way too buff and it affects their posture... Why can't the cast someone with Timothy Dalton's body? He was a little too skinny, but incredibly elegant. As gorgeous as Elba is, I don't want another meat-neck as Bond again. Skin color wise I don't care. Moneypenny and Leiter are black, so what's the big deal if Bond is too?

Anyway, I don´t know who exactly mentioned Matthew Goode but he's the best name that's come up so far, in my opinion. He's tall, a decent actor and has a gorgeous face with classic Bond features (blue eyes, black hair, Hoagy Carmichael jawline).

Wonder why people are so excited about Rupert Friend, as he's been awful in every film I've seen him in.

Agreed on Mathew Goode, the man is a class act.
    He'd prob require a little extra muscle on his frame to convince, but nothing that can't be achieved in 4-5 months before shooting, and it would be inspired casting.
    Besides being an excellent actor he would bring the edgy, "not-quite-but-quite-nearly" psychotic quality to the role that imo Craig doesn't quite convey.

Watch 'Stoker' before you disagree.
    I was watching a talk show recently and Luke Evans was on there. He had a very strong look of Bond about him in terms of translating well from Flemings Bond. 35 years old so will be the right age when DC leaves.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Luke Evans could actually be a good choice.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

I bet they get so sick and tired of being asked the Elba question - although I dont see how anyone could accuse them of being racist if they just come out and say 'DC is contracted for another one so Elba will be too old when we come to recast. End of.' But then I suppose they would be hit by accusations of ageism.

Q: Now that Naomie Harris has been revealed as Moneypenny, is she going to be stuck behind a desk or will she still be heading out into the field?

Broccoli: You can’t keep this one behind a desk. This Moneypenny is very active. She is key to the story and key to helping Bond on his mission. She’s not deskbound.

*sigh*

Is she a secretary or a field agent? Make your minds FFS but dont have her sitting behind a desk in M's outer office at the end of SF and then popping up all over the globe with a gun.

Dude in Skyfall she takes a desk job she confirms this in conversation with Bond at the very end. Mendes though said in his promo for Spectre that Q, Tanner and Money penny all put their jobs on the line at some point in Spectre. I would suspect if she ends up in the field it's without M knowing.
  • RC7RC7

*sigh*

Dude in Skyfall she takes a desk job she confirms this in conversation with Bond at the very end. Mendes though said in his promo for Spectre that Q, Tanner and Money penny all put their jobs on the line at some point in Spectre. I would suspect if she ends up in the field it's without M knowing.

I don't reckon MP will end up in 'the field' so to speak, but she won't be deskbound. We already know she visits Bond's apartment and given the murmurings about internal affairs re. the security services I imagine both her and Tanner are at M's beck and call. That possibly means they'll have additional scenes outside Whitehall, but I think she'll be a distinctly different character to the one seen in the first half of SF.
    Let's not forget that Naomi Harris said something like she was going to be stuck in London while others actors were in sunny Italy (or something of the sort). Hardly a field agent.

Back on topic: Nicholas Clay as Moore's successor for FYEO, would it have worked?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I read this post on another site which was about Idris Elba as Bond.

I found it funny and bizarre!

Spottysword • 9 days ago

Who cares if he's black? Does race really matter anymore?

He could be Chinese or a woman... or both! These chauvinistic white writers, creating popular characters based on there own personal characteristics and experiences is getting out of control.

We need to take a step back and realize that the guy who created James Bond is dead- his opinion does NOT matter. And neither does his legacy or creativity behind the character.

#LUCYLIU4BOND

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/28/007-producers-idris-elba-would-make-a-great-james-bond

I'm sure Lucy Liu appreciates the support. ;)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 3
    Pity he's American but if he can do English - Michael Weatherly who is in the NCIS TV series looks good at the moment
    Link deleted. Please refrain from adding these links.
    I doubt EON will cast an American anytime soon.

or any time at all.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Ludovico wrote: »

or any time at all.

It's an anomaly how British and Australian actors seem to convince as typical, über-American heros and comic book icons, but somehow the other way around just would not work or ever be accepted.
    Probably has something to do with the ex-colonial mentality, but that still doesn't explain why Auzzies seem so good at nailing American characters...
    Many Americans played Brits, especially British good guy. With varying results.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »

or any time at all.

It's an anomaly how British and Australian actors seem to convince as typical, über-American heros and comic book icons, but somehow the other way around just would not work or ever be accepted.
    Probably has something to do with the ex-colonial mentality, but that still doesn't explain why Auzzies seem so good at nailing American characters...

It's the theatre culture and acting training (particularly as far as England is concerned) and generally a question of authenticity & charisma, which translates onto the screen imho.

The Hollywood machine generates some seriously uncharismatic actors these days, both American and Canadian (e.g. Ryan Reynolds).

Having said that, even now, once in a while a real gem comes along (e.g. Jessica Chastain, Matthew McConaughey or Jake Gyllenhaal).
    Many Americans played Brits, especially British good guy. With varying results.

Erm,I said they have often convinced, ie. they have often done it very well. That's the key point in my post.

Name me one American who has succesfully portrayed an iconic British character, real or fictional, in television or film.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727
    bondjames wrote: »
    Having said that, even now, once in a while a real gem comes along (e.g. Jessica Chastain, Matthew McConaughey or Jake Gyllenhaal).

Has everyone completely missed the point of my comment? :D

Nonewithstanding their ability, could you ever see Chastain or McConaughey portraying Jane Austen or James Bond respectively..?

Of course the US has/has had great actors. Brando was prob one of the best ever. But as a Brit on screen he left a lot to be desired...
    I hope it´s not Elba because of his physique. He´s taller than Craig but still looks sorta stubby. They´re both way too buff and it affects their posture... Why can't the cast someone with Timothy Dalton's body? He was a little too skinny, but incredibly elegant. As gorgeous as Elba is, I don't want another meat-neck as Bond again. Skin color wise I don't care. Moneypenny and Leiter are black, so what's the big deal if Bond is too?

This. Elegance trumps skin & hair colour. Although I'm not sure how we'd react to a GINGER 007 .... :))

(sorry, red headed forum friends...)
    AceHole wrote: »

Has everyone completely missed the point of my comment? :D

Nonewithstanding their ability, could you ever see Chastain or McConaughey portraying Jane Austen or James Bond respectively..?

Of course the US has/has had great actors. Brando was prob one of the best ever. But as a Brit on screen he left a lot to be desired...

I agree that I haven't seen too many instances of Americans properly nailing British accents. It never quite seems to work. Angelina Jolie for instance (Tomb Raider) or even worse Downey JR. in Sherlock. It's horrendous imho.

I don't think it's a colonial thing - I just think it's harder to go to an English accent from American rather than the other way round. One is more formal & has more emphasis on elecution, pronounciation & grammar vs. the other that's more casual in nature.
  • I recently heard somewhere that they use British voices for broadcasting messages on airports in the U.S. because they command attention. And now I think about it; it's true. When I hear an American talking I sometimes just kinda zone out, but when you hear an English accent there's something that just makes you want to try and follow what they're saying.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883

I was a proponent initially, but am quickly losing confidence. I don't think he quite has the look for the job personally (a bit awkward). Box office will suffer imho if he is hired.

I am a big fan of Tom Hiddleston. I think he'd bring the best of everything the the table (Roger Moore irony, Connery machismo but tempered for the current century, and a little bit of Craig/Dalton vulnerability/seriousness).
  • bondjames wrote: »

I was a proponent initially, but am quickly losing confidence. I don't think he quite has the look for the job personally (a bit awkward). Box office will suffer imho if he is hired.

I am a big fan of Tom Hiddleston. I think he'd bring the best of everything the the table (Roger Moore irony, Connery machismo and a little bit of Craig/Dalton vulnerability).

Completely agree about Hiddleston, even though I think he's too famous now to be signed.
    I am a big fan of Tom Hiddleston. I think he'd bring the best of everything the the table (Roger Moore irony, Connery machismo but tempered for the current century, and a little bit of Craig/Dalton vulnerability/seriousness).

He is a good actor, but I don't see, how he will be able to give the necessary masculin energy. He can be creepy, yes, but handsomely maskulin. I don't see it.