Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Tom Hiddleston. I think he'd bring the best of everything the the table (Roger Moore irony, Connery machismo but tempered for the current century, and a little bit of Craig/Dalton vulnerability/seriousness).

He is a good actor, but I don't see, how he will be able to give the necessary masculin energy. He can be creepy, yes, but handsomely maskulin. I don't see it.

I agree that in the roles I've seen him in to date he seems better suited to a villain, but depending on his still developing acting capabilities (which seem pretty formidable for a relatively young chap) and his ability to 'beef up' physically (a bit like Craig did) he may be able to pull off the necessary masculine vibe. Certainly better than Friend imho.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Many Americans played Brits, especially British good guy. With varying results.

Erm,I said they have often convinced, ie. they have often done it very well. That's the key point in my post.

Name me one American who has succesfully portrayed an iconic British character, real or fictional, in television or film.

I honestly can't.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/09/idris-elba-james-bond_n_7030812.html

Any body else getting sick of Elba's pushy self promotion for Bond. Now he's "blaming" Craig for recommending him 4 years ago. Unless I missed something in print, that is simply not true. Craig noted there could easily be a black Bond, but he never mentioned Elba who has been giving interviews to Time and other outlets touting that Craig is recommending him. No other Bond campaigned like this while the previous Bond was still in the role. It's cheesy.

Now he's complaining about all the buzz hurting his chances - which HE help start with endless references to doing Bond in his interviews. It was also his buddy Naomi Harris who bragged about starting the rumor and also falsely stating that Elba was already in negotiation with EON for the role. Elba will be 15 years too old for the part once B26 starts up. I have no problem with possibly having a black Bond. I have a big problem with Elba. Good actor, total egomaniac.
    Yes I'm sick and tired of Idris Elba self promoting and being arrogant on top of it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers for Bond. The right age, suave yet with a 'nasty streak', handsome and British.
    He has no chance at all whatsoever anyhow.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @suavejmf I've just edited three posts into one.
    Use the EDIT function rather than post three times. X(
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers for Bond. The right age, suave yet with a 'nasty streak', handsome and British.

Totally not.

Lord help us!

@suavejmf, I agree with a lot of what you post on here, but JRM has to be one of the worst, most wooden actors ever to have graced the screen. His acting is abominable. He'd be a million times worse than Brosnan.
    Getafix wrote: »

Lord help us!

@suavejmf, I agree with a lot of what you post on here, but JRM has to be one of the worst, most wooden actors ever to have graced the screen. His acting is abominable. He'd be a million times worse than Brosnan.

Agreed. Terribly affected acting by this chap.
    [

Lord help us!

Have you seen 'Matchpoint'? I never understood how that got such good reviews. I hate all of Woody Allen's UK-set films - abysmal.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    [

Lord help us!

Have you seen 'Matchpoint'? I never understood how that got such good reviews. I hate all of Woody Allen's UK-set films - abysmal.

I saw it. Interesting concept but poor execution and bad acting by JRM. Johansson looked good though.

He was pretty awful in the Tudors too. Both Cavill and he were in it and I thought Cavill was better (which is saying something because I have a low opinion of his acting capabilities as well).
    [

Lord help us!

I saw it. Interesting concept but poor execution and bad acting by JRM. Johansson looked good though.

He was pretty awful in the Tudors too. Both Cavill and he were in it and I thought Cavill was better (which is saying something because I have a low opinion of his acting capabilities as well).

Funny I just saw Scoop tonight with the in-laws. We all enjoyed iit.

Tudors was badly written I think. But he was seriously miscast as Henry VIII.
    Yes Cavill also very wooden in another Woody Allen film - can't remember what it was called.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 591
    smitty wrote: »

Any body else getting sick of Elba's pushy self promotion for Bond. Now he's "blaming" Craig for recommending him 4 years ago. Unless I missed something in print, that is simply not true. Craig noted there could easily be a black Bond, but he never mentioned Elba who has been giving interviews to Time and other outlets touting that Craig is recommending him. No other Bond campaigned like this while the previous Bond was still in the role. It's cheesy.

Now he's complaining about all the buzz hurting his chances - which HE help start with endless references to doing Bond in his interviews. It was also his buddy Naomi Harris who bragged about starting the rumor and also falsely stating that Elba was already in negotiation with EON for the role. Elba will be 15 years too old for the part once B26 starts up. I have no problem with possibly having a black Bond. I have a big problem with Elba. Good actor, total egomaniac.

I couldn't agree more @smitty. When I saw this, it genuinely made me angry, just because it seems he has no respect for the franchise and comes across as so arrogant. If he genuinely wanted to be Bond, he would let the producers come to him, not draw the media's attention at every opportunity. We all know how Bond can boost a person's career and in my opinion, that's all he wants. I could be wrong but why else would he get like this and the fact that he "blames" Craig is just childish and stupid as if people are gonna start going against Craig. If Craig and Elba were put in a boxing ring, I'd be cheering for Craig all the way.

I also agree his colour isn't the problem, it's his age and now, quite frankly, his attitude. Sorry Elba, but no Bond for you.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Erm,I said they have often convinced, ie. they have often done it very well. That's the key point in my post.

Name me one American who has succesfully portrayed an iconic British character, real or fictional, in television or film.

Johnny Depp?
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727

Johnny Depp?

Meh... he's got one of the best British accents amongst Yanks in the industry, yes, but was Cap'n Jack Sparrow really a major British character?
    Just doesn't seem to match the likes of Batman, Superman or Abe Lincoln for iconic clout...
    Absolutely agree, but the word was iconic. I could mention several such. Not talking about Captain Sparrow, but for instance Sweeney Todd where he certainly convinced me. I am not British though.
    What I find really frustrating is American actors playing British good guys while British actors play villains, not necessarily British, with a British accent. Another reason why I think Bond should be a role for British actors:more genuine.
    Absolutely agree, but the word was iconic. I could mention several such. Not talking about Captain Sparrow, but for instance Sweeney Todd where he certainly convinced me. I am not British though.

I acknowledge the pitfalls of my argument, and the word 'iconic' was used in a broad sense & how important each character is rated is very subjective - it's certainly not a clear-cut case...

But I don't sense Jack Sparrow or Sweeney Todd as being as iconic or as important a character as those portrayed in the opposite UK->US sense (the ones I mentioned already).

The day when an American actor nails a character like James Bond, Shakespeare or Sherlock Holmes I will gladly retract my statement!
    I understand that reasoning.
    What I find really frustrating is American actors playing British good guys while British actors play villains, not necessarily British, with a British accent. Another reason why I think Bond should be a role for British actors:more genuine.

They still cannot forgive the war of 1812, can they?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Jamie Bell , worked with Dan in Tin Tin and Defiance sure he would get endorsement . British, Talented will be right age & making decent movie choices, he was excellent in Filth.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Jamie-Bell-Ant-Man-Rumor.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.pinterest.com/sugaredwhimsey/all-the-beef/&h=450&w=450&tbnid=z9cZDLrY04y-jM:&zoom=1&q=Jamie+bell+tuxedo&docid=-jzZ7MtSKdrAWM&ei=vsAnVZWDFNfhar3qgbAD&tbm=isch&ved=0CCsQMygOMA4

Off subject two actors who would have been great Bonds but too late now Clive Owen and Christopher Eccleston prior to him doing Dr Who I reckon he would have been the vision of Flemings Bond.
    Off subject two actors who would have been great Bonds but too late now Clive Owen and Christopher Eccleston prior to him doing Dr Who I reckon he would have been the vision of Flemings Bond.

Disagree. Clive Owen sounds like a used-car salesman, vocally he was just wrong for Bond. And Eccleston is/was villain material all day long.

THE true missed opportunity was Michael Fassbender back in 2005.
    He could have been cast whilst still a complete unknown in '05 (when he was starting to transition from TV into film). Would have fit perfectly as the new, young & inexperienced 007 and he is probably the only actor who would have done as well as Craig.
    Fassbender was 28 at the time, same age Lazenby was when he got the gig.
    I'll never understand why some people got so enthusiastic about Clive Owen. He's a decent enough actor but as Bond? I can't see it.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 163
    smitty wrote: »

I came across this a while ago. Wasn't gonna post it, but what the hell http://idrisnotbond.tumblr.com/
    I like the "idrisnotbond" part. It should become a Twitter hashtag every time this guy opens his mouth.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I'll never understand why some people got so enthusiastic about Clive Owen. He's a decent enough actor but as Bond? I can't see it.

What is not Bond about this image of Owen

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f9/99/f9/f999f9882c1d32e7fb094d34d9eceb0c.jpg

What is not Bond about this image of Owen

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f9/99/f9/f999f9882c1d32e7fb094d34d9eceb0c.jpg

I can wear a suit too, that does not make me Bondian. Okay, so Clive Owen can wear a suit.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 163
    Clive Owen reminds me more of Nicholas Cage than James Bond.
    Clive Owen reminds me more of Nicholas Cage than James Bond.

Yes, a British Nicholas Cage. There is something haggard about his face and demeanor which I cannot see would fit Bond.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    It's not Owen's appearance that disqualifies him, but his voice. He has one of the most depressing, boring voices of any actor I know. He's a decent actor but always comes across as a bit dreary - that's fine in the right part, but as Bond I just don't think he'd have worked.

Yes, Fassbender in 2005 would have been inspired casting. I think he might well have been even better than DC.

Having said that, I also think Bab's decision to go for DC was pretty inspired and I'm pretty happy with the lead actor we have. Not 100% sure about the direction of the movies, esepcially since SF, but DC is still a solid Bond. I just think that may be Fassbender has that something extra that would have made him great.
    Wonder why people are so excited about Rupert Friend, as he's been awful in every film I've seen him in.

I was a proponent initially, but am quickly losing confidence. I don't think he quite has the look for the job personally (a bit awkward). Box office will suffer imho if he is hired.

I am a big fan of Tom Hiddleston. I think he'd bring the best of everything the the table (Roger Moore irony, Connery machismo and a little bit of Craig/Dalton vulnerability).

Completely agree about Hiddleston, even though I think he's too famous now to be signed.

Tom Hiddleston...and machismo in the same sentence? I...I...do not see it. Frankly it looks like he'd struggle against a stray gust of wind, never mind against someone like Oddjob.

Anyway, I think the same thing that applies to him applies to a lot of the candidates mentioned here - once you've done a multi-film huge blockbuster action/superhero role, you're not gonna be Bond. Why? EON wants to create their own hero, not borrow a hero who has been made by Marvel or whoever else. Look at who the final candidates for the gig were last time - Craig, Cavill, Worthington, none of them had any baggage from action blockbusters.

So I think realistically we can forget Cavill, Fassbender, Hiddleston, Hemsworth, and anyone else who is heavily associated with other blockbusters. Who does that leave us then? I'd say Dan Stevens is in good standing right now, he's got some buzz/hype going. I agree that Jamie Bell might be the kind of name thrown into the mix, especially if DC recommends him to EON. Though apparently he's 5'7, might work against him.