Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Wasn't O'Laughlin rumored to be a candidate for Bond at some point?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Ludovico wrote: »
    He was. I'm very glad he didn't get the part.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Is there any Asian British actors that you guys think have the "Bond" look?
    While not British, that chap from FF is pretty cool imho. I've always thought he could go places.
    Sung Kang?
    Yep, that's him. Sorry, I didn't know his name but just looked him up. Pretty smooth looking guy. He's got style.
    While I do like him in F&F (haven't seen him outside the series, unfortunately), I don't think he has that "Bond" look.

However, if we're talking actors of Asian descent with the "Bond look", there's one that easily caught my interest ever since I started watching the Hawaii Five-0 remake series. He's not British, but he has that look...

salvation-finale-ian-anthony-dale.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop=1

His name is Ian Anthony Dale. He can play the good-hearted hero type, or be completely evil you'd love to hate (as seen in Tekken). If they make a spy thriller film starring him in the vein of Bond, I'd definitely watch it.
    @ClarkDevlin How is the remake series going these days? Remember watching the first season, but didn't continue watching after that (don't remember why, really). Worth giving another go?
    It's great in its own way, @Torgeirtrap. It respects the tropes of the original series but doesn't repeat more of the same. I'd like to call it NCIS: Hawaii rather than Hawaii Five-O, though. Amusing regardless.

But, the weakest link in it has to be Steve McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) himself. They took the sophistication out of McGarrett and now he's a trigger-happy Navy SEAL rather than a commanding officer with authority that was Jack Lord's incarnation.

Much of the same show as season 1 then. You are spot on with the NCIS comparison! Don't mind a bit of NCIS, but as with Hawaii Five-O, I haven't watched any episodes in years. Hawaii Five-O should be available on some streaming services, so I might try checking it out again. Of the cast, I found Scott Caan most memorable. Alex O'Loughlin was OK, but this McGarrett character didn't hold any comparison with the original, unfortunately. How does his storyline develop after season 1? Any interesting?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    While not British, that chap from FF is pretty cool imho. I've always thought he could go places.
    Sung Kang?
    Yep, that's him. Sorry, I didn't know his name but just looked him up. Pretty smooth looking guy. He's got style.
    While I do like him in F&F (haven't seen him outside the series, unfortunately), I don't think he has that "Bond" look.

However, if we're talking actors of Asian descent with the "Bond look", there's one that easily caught my interest ever since I started watching the Hawaii Five-0 remake series. He's not British, but he has that look...

His name is Ian Anthony Dale. He can play the good-hearted hero type, or be completely evil you'd love to hate (as seen in Tekken). If they make a spy thriller film starring him in the vein of Bond, I'd definitely watch it.
    @ClarkDevlin How is the remake series going these days? Remember watching the first season, but didn't continue watching after that (don't remember why, really). Worth giving another go?
    It's great in its own way, @Torgeirtrap. It respects the tropes of the original series but doesn't repeat more of the same. I'd like to call it NCIS: Hawaii rather than Hawaii Five-O, though. Amusing regardless.

But, the weakest link in it has to be Steve McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) himself. They took the sophistication out of McGarrett and now he's a trigger-happy Navy SEAL rather than a commanding officer with authority that was Jack Lord's incarnation.

Much of the same show as season 1 then. You are spot on with the NCIS comparison! Don't mind a bit of NCIS, but as with Hawaii Five-O, I haven't watched any episodes in years. Hawaii Five-O should be available on some streaming services, so I might try checking it out again. Of the cast, I found Scott Caan most memorable. Alex O'Loughlin was OK, but this McGarrett character didn't hold any comparison with the original, unfortunately. How does his storyline develop after season 1? Any interesting?
    Let's just say the brothergate angle and the mommy issues seen in the Mendes-directed Bond films are played out better here, @Torgeirtrap. ;)

The entire main cast is great, with Scott Caan being the best of them all, with Daniel Dae Kim being a close second. Chi McBride comes later on and is definitely a favourite of mine. All of them outshine McGarrett/O'Loughlin if I'm truthful. A character from the old series reprises his role (now already an old man), and Kam Fong's son, Dennis Chun has a recurring role in it as a patrolling police officer.

Still, the pool of candidates circa 2005 was better than the pool we have now.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,335
    Sung Kang?

Let's just say the brothergate angle and the mommy issues seen in the Mendes-directed Bond films are played out better here, @Torgeirtrap. ;)

The entire main cast is great, with Scott Caan being the best of them all, with Daniel Dae Kim being a close second. Chi McBride comes later on and is definitely a favourite of mine. All of them outshine McGarrett/O'Loughlin if I'm truthful.

That doesn't require much effort to do, haha!
    Didn't know Chi McBride had joined the cast! One more reason to start watching it again :-)
    Sung Kang?

The entire main cast is great, with Scott Caan being the best of them all, with Daniel Dae Kim being a close second. Chi McBride comes later on and is definitely a favourite of mine. All of them outshine McGarrett/O'Loughlin if I'm truthful.

Didn't know Chi McBride had joined the cast! One more reason to start watching it again!
    I watched both the old and the new in a parallel marathon last year. Both in tandem with one another and I don't regret it. Although, both of them being products of their time is definitely obvious.
    No doubt about that.
    Sung Kang?

Didn't know Chi McBride had joined the cast! One more reason to start watching it again!
    I watched both the old and the new in a parallel marathon last year. Both in tandem with one another and I don't regret it. Although, both of them being products of their time is definitely obvious.

The original sure has a certain charm, though. Some really great episodes among those I've seen. Yet to see any of the 70's episodes. Does the show hold the same quality after the 60's ones?
    Sung Kang?

The original sure has a certain charm, though. Some really great episodes among those I've seen. Yet to see any of the 70's episodes. Does the show hold the same quality after the 60's ones?
    I prefer the 60s episodes to the 70s, but the show as a high quality material never lost its touch. Jack Lord is a bundle of charisma on the screen whenever he makes an appearance, which was what made the show likable for the most part, @Torgeirtrap. The original show's charm is timeless in every aspect.

The new show... well... it's a modern day police procedural in the vein of NCIS involving a special police task force investigating domestic criminal acts. Enjoyable, better than some of its other counterparts, and visually beautiful due to its tropical location and environment.
    Sung Kang?

I prefer the 60s episodes to the 70s, but the show as a high quality material never lost its touch. Jack Lord is a bundle of charisma on the screen whenever he makes an appearance, which was what made the show likable for the most part, @Torgeirtrap. The original show's charm is timeless in every aspect.

The new show... well... it's a modern day police procedural in the vein of NCIS involving a special police task force investigating domestic criminal acts. Enjoyable, better than some of its other counterparts, and visually beautiful due to its tropical location and environment.

The location was what drew me to both the original and the remake in the first place. Hard to beat 60's Hawaii, and precent Hawaii is also a great location. Nice to hear that the original also held it's quality into the 70's. Will no doubt revisit the original show at some point, as well!

Indeed. Who did we have? Alex O'Laughlin, Goran Višnjić, Julian McMahon, Dougray Scott, James Purefoy, Henry Cavill, Craig, and of course Clive Owen's name was constantly touted.
    Had any of these other actors been cast instead of Craig, I probably would have gone to CR with the curious excitement that naturally comes when a new Bond makes his debut.
    Honestly, if any of the newer names mentioned: Jamie Bell, etc were to be cast in B26, there's a good possibility it would be the first new Bond film I pass on.
    There were a few dreadful ones. McMahon and Goran what's his name... But at that time even Henry Caville had not proven himself beige. Heck I never understood why people think Clive Owen looked Bondian but I would have given him a chance. Now we think of Harry Styles? Seriously?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    McMahon could have pulled it off.
    I may remember completely wrong, but I think Goran Višnjić played a spy like character in Pan Am.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    He looks great.

581106_636x357.jpg
    -Dad, it's me, your son!
    -Another one?! Will you all jusht pish off for Christ's sake?!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    mattjoes wrote: »
    He looks great.

581106_636x357.jpg
    -Dad, it's me, your son!
    -Another one?! Will you all jusht pish off for Christ's sake?!

I’am jusht trayin teu Bui Thea cuntry of shcotland and all ye buggers are coming for money.

I was never impressed by his acting. And he made a mistake by blabbering publicly about how great he'd be as Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I agree; he had a edge that would have been right for Bond.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'd have been happy with Owen or Cavill.
    Of those actors my choices would have been Dougray Scott, James Purefoy, or Clive Owen. I do think Goran Višnjić had an interesting look for a potential Bond, but I was never sold on him or McMahaon.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Of those actors my choices would have been Dougray Scott, James Purefoy, or Clive Owen. I do think Goran Višnjić had an interesting look for a potential Bond, but I was never sold on him or McMahaon.
    +1
    Never understood what people find in Clive Owen. Goran had the look but not remotely British and don't think he could have a convincing accent.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Never understood what people find in Clive Owen.
    In his prime he had something about him. Cool guy too. By 2005 he was already a bit past it for Bond.

Cavill would have been a good choice in retrospect. I think he would have grown into the role and we could have a couple more years of an 'in prime' (rather than past it) Bond with him. I have no doubt Campbell would have been able to get the best out of him, as he did Craig and Brosnan.
    Never had any issue with Owen. Could see him as Bond, given the right direction. Not now, of course, but around 2004/2005.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Owen= boring; always has been, always will be. Mumbling and uncharismatic. I don’t think he was ever seriously considered for the role
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    peter wrote: »
    Owen= boring; always has been, always will be. Mumbling and uncharismatic. I don’t think he was ever seriously considered for the role

100% this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Better make that 200%.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,730
    Better make that 300%
    I would’ve rather had Owen over Craig, personally.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Clive Owen was good in a show called Chancer also I rated him in Bourne Identity,Children of Men and The International. Back in the 90's when Owen was linked to Bond I was not against it.