Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've seen The Game. Decent series but nothing about Hughes screamed Bond to me at all. He didn't stand out and reminds me of a supporting actor more than a lead. More Whishaw than Craig. He lacks that star power, and the same goes for Hunnam and Norton.

Think he acted alright, but it's not like I'm championing the guy to get the role, necessarily. Just think he is a better choice that a freaking Harry Styles or whatever the guy's called. Looks like he acted even better in Victoria, if I understand @Benny correctly.

My favourite of the names mentioned on this thread is still Luke Evans, but he's getting older too.
    Oh, I certainly agree that he's a decent actor. He was good in The Game. That's not really my point. Bond is mainly about projection. Screen charisma. One either has it or one doesn't. I've yet to see Hughes give off that indescribable presence onscreen that would suggest he could consistently bring in the punters.

Evans is another one I need to see really stand out in a film. I recently viewed Professor Marston & The Wonder Women (an excellent film by the way). He was decent enough in it but was completely overshadowed by Rebecca Hall and Bella Heathcote.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 13,894
    If your dog is black, it cannot play Bond.

He's black and white. So he'll please the hardcore fans, and the press.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,295
    I've seen The Game. Decent series but nothing about Hughes screamed Bond to me at all. He didn't stand out and reminds me of a supporting actor more than a lead. More Whishaw than Craig. He lacks that star power, and the same goes for Hunnam and Norton.

Think he acted alright, but it's not like I'm championing the guy to get the role, necessarily. Just think he is a better choice that a freaking Harry Styles or whatever the guy's called. Looks like he acted even better in Victoria, if I understand @Benny correctly.

My favourite of the names mentioned on this thread is still Luke Evans, but he's getting older too.
    Oh, I certainly agree that he's a decent actor. He was good in The Game. That's not really my point. Bond is mainly about projection. Screen charisma. One either has it or one doesn't. I've yet to see Hughes give off that indescribable presence onscreen that would suggest he could consistently bring in the punters.

Evans is another one I need to see really stand out in a film. I recently viewed Professor Marston & The Wonder Women (an excellent film by the way). He was decent enough in it but was completely overshadowed by Rebecca Hall and Bella Heathcote.

With those two actresses, I wouldn't even notice any male actors they play against, haha! To be serious, I can only comment on what I've seen him in, which is Fast & Furious 6 and The Great Train Robbery – as well as another movie I can't remember the name of. All of which he showed more presence than I can remember from most names I've seen mentioned in the thread.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I think that's true of most of the names suggested to be honest. The only ones who I think have that presence are all probably either too old or too famous (Elba, Fassbender, etc). There isn't really a rising star type I can think of that I can really picture nailing it.

A lot of the names mentioned sort of blend into one for me. Baby faced HBO/BBC actors with long wavey indie hair. The only younger guy so far who I think stands out as interesting is Jack O Connell. Lots of presence and charisma, can do dangerous and vulnerable equally well. Did think he'd be too young but at the pace they're making these films now he might look the part by the time they get around to casting.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 13,894
    Jack O'Conell looks like he would be better suited to a Guy Ritchie, Snatch/Lock Stock type film. I have an easier time imagining him pulling up in a slightly battered Jaguar XJ6, chasing some muppet down an Lahndan alley, and beating out a tune on their knees with a sledge, than as Bond.

With those two actresses, I wouldn't even notice any male actors they play against, haha! To be serious, I can only comment on what I've seen him in, which is Fast & Furious 6 and The Great Train Robbery – as well as another movie I can't remember the name of. All of which he showed more presence than I can remember from most names I've seen mentioned in the thread.
    Lol, that's certainly true. Honestly though I think it's important because a Bond actor has to hold his own with charismatic actresses. Craig was able to spar very well with Green (who is a serial scene chewer) and that's one of the reasons CR worked so well.

Regarding FF6, I enjoyed that film quite a lot but Evans didn't make too much of an impression on me in it. I recommend High Rise to see a pretty decent performance from him, but I must caution you that the film is quite strange.

I think that's true of most of the names suggested to be honest. The only ones who I think have that presence are all probably either too old or too famous (Elba, Fassbender, etc). There isn't really a rising star type I can think of that I can really picture nailing it.
    That's true. A lot of the up and comers haven't made much of an impression. Jack Lowden is one I remember from Dunkirk (he was more memorable than Styles at least).
    A lot of the names mentioned sort of blend into one for me. Baby faced HBO/BBC actors with long wavey indie hair. The only younger guy so far who I think stands out as interesting is Jack O Connell. Lots of presence and charisma, can do dangerous and vulnerable equally well. Did think he'd be too young but at the pace they're making these films now he might look the part by the time they get around to casting.
    As mentioned on the other thread, I haven't seen too much of him so can't really comment. He does come across a bit blue collar like The Major suggests. More Eggsy than Bond. He's 5 ft 8 though, so perhaps a few inches below regulation height although I realize the standards have been slipping on that front lately.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Trial balloons are used by almost every conceivable organization, or individual to test how an idea will be received. In this modern day of filmmaking would, does, EON send out candidate trial balloons?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 14,882
    talos7 wrote: »
    Trial balloons are used by almost every conceivable organization, or individual to test how an idea will be received. In this modern day of filmmaking would, does, EON send out candidate trial balloons?

You'd have to imagine that they do. We're talking the most successful film franchise of all time.
    I'd like to think they don't do things on a whim.
    As for Harry Styles, I would imagine its and innocent comment, that's been taken up by the press. He wasn't terrible in Dunkirk. As @NicNac said above his followers and general appeal could be good for the series. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice. But I would give him a chance to prove himself.
    All to often people write an actor off in a role before they see them. Craig was classic example of this.

Lol, that's certainly true. Honestly though I think it's important because a Bond actor has to hold his own with charismatic actresses. Craig was able to spar very well with Green (who is a serial scene chewer) and that's one of the reasons CR worked so well.

Regarding FF6, I enjoyed that film quite a lot but Evans didn't make too much of an impression on me in it. I recommend High Rise to see a pretty decent performance from him, but I must caution you that the film is quite strange.

Have to check out High Rise at some point. Looks like an interesting film. Regarding the Craig/Green chemistry, you're totally right. The guy who gets the role after Craig, must be able to not become overshadowed by the rest of the cast. Some big names in the last few movies too, so it will not be an easy task.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I've said it befire and I'll say it again; Domhnall Gleeson. Put him in the gym for 6 months and BAM! He'll deliver as an excellent Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I've said it befire and I'll say it again; Domhnall Gleeson. Put him in the gym for 6 months and BAM! He'll deliver as an excellent Bond.

He’s too “Irish” looking, brosnan was Irish but it didn’t impede on his physical portrayal as the character. However Gleeson looks straight out of Dublin, with the skin tone and all the orange hair. No good.
    I don’t see it in him at all.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He’s too “Irish” looking, brosnan was Irish but it didn’t impede on his physical portrayal as the character. However Gleeson looks straight out of Dublin, with the skin tone and all the orange hair. No good.
    +1
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Sorry @doubleoego that's a no from me.
    I don't see him as a Bomd. Decent enough actor though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Fair enough guys. I think he can pull it off.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gleeson would make a great henchman.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Gleeson has the height but I'm not sure if he has that 'it factor charisma'. He was easily overshadowed by the much cooler Oscar Isaac in Ex Machina. I am sure he could clean up and hair can be dyed but I think it's a question of screen presence.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I imagine him to be like Carter from CR. The useless mi6 field agent. So he could play one of those I guess
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Not a fan of Domhnall Gleeson as an actor I find him a bit slimey which has suited some of his roles I guess, his father is a far better actor.
    Not a fan of Domhnall Gleeson as an actor I find him a bit slimey which has suited some of his roles I guess, his father is a far better actor.

His father is great and could have played Blofeld.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Ludovico wrote: »

His father is great and could have played Blofeld.

Has great screen presence for sure.
  • Gleeson was painful to watch in The Force Awakens.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Now I am in no way comparing Harry Styles to Sean Connery but Sean didn't have an innate suaveness, he was groomed by Terence Young

But he could act the part. Styles isn't an actor. He's a teen bopper pop star with a wet image!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    NicNac wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb and suggest that I've read a lot worse suggestions than Harry Styles on here, and he has both the charisma and the fan following to maybe bring something to the role? May be wrong, but you never know.
    You're right @NicNac. You're wrong. ;)

/ Insane.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Now I am in no way comparing Harry Styles to Sean Connery but Sean didn't have an innate suaveness, he was groomed by Terence Young

But he could act the part. Styles isn't an actor. He's a teen bopper pop star with a wet image!

true, at this point he is but obviously is smart, and ambitious enough to know that he wants to expand his horizons. He also was talented enough to be hired by Christopher Nolan to be in Dunkirk.
    I'm not saying he's right for Bond, but it would be a mistake to lock an performer into a box based on their earlier careers.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If I'm not mistaken Connery was a weightlifter before Bond and Lazenby a model? They both won over Bond fans in their own way. I think it's completely balmy to right off Styles based on his prior career. The fact is that Christopher Nolan will most likely be in charge of the next reboot, and he likes to reuse the same actors for his movies. He knows Styles and likes him, or he wouldn't take the risk to hire him for a serious war movie. No studio would deny a movie that would bring in the young female demographic to a franchise that does not appeal to them usually. I could see it happening.
    I thought Craig was supposed to be bringing in the women? That's what Babs has been touting in interviews over the years.

Styles would be quite different no doubt. I can't even remember him in Dunkirk to be honest so hopefully he's not challenged charismatically on screen.
    I still cant believe members are talking about this wet fart becoming Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I still cant believe members are talking about this wet fart becoming Bond.
    Some people like being way too "reasonable". ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I think it's time for a cheeky younger Bond after the middle aged Craig of the last few films (including Bond 25). I hate how Bond is constantly characterized as being over the hill.