Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd rather they hire someone who looks like a dashing killer. Not an effeminate male model type.
    I think it's time for a cheeky younger Bond after the middle aged Craig of the last few films (including Bond 25). I hate how Bond is constantly characterized as being over the hill.

There are a lot of better young,cheeky actors out there compared to that long streak of piss.

It's a fine line between looking youthful enough to potentially play the part for a decade, and looking experienced enough to be a believable Bond who is not a novice. IMO, all the actors had that quality regardless of the age they were when they started. So far I haven't seen any name mentioned that I believe has that quality. I'd have to seriously be won over by most of the candidates named in the media.
    If I'm not mistaken Connery was a weightlifter before Bond and Lazenby a model? They both won over Bond fans in their own way. I think it's completely balmy to right off Styles based on his prior career. The fact is that Christopher Nolan will most likely be in charge of the next reboot, and he likes to reuse the same actors for his movies. He knows Styles and likes him, or he wouldn't take the risk to hire him for a serious war movie. No studio would deny a movie that would bring in the young female demographic to a franchise that does not appeal to them usually. I could see it happening.

Sean Connery was also a milkman at some point that doesn't mean that's something they should be looking for when casting the next Bond. Connery was already a veteran actor when he was cast. Styles did what? Dunkirk and that's it? And why would the Lolita market be of any importance for Bond now? Robbie Williams would have brought his female fanbase with him too that doesn't mean he would have made a good Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I still cant believe members are talking about this wet fart becoming Bond.
    Some people like being way too "reasonable". ;)

My overriding point is not specific to him but to any contender.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Is there any Asian British actors that you guys think have the "Bond" look?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    While not British, that chap from FF is pretty cool imho. I've always thought he could go places.
    bondjames wrote: »
    While not British, that chap from FF is pretty cool imho. I've always thought he could go places.
    Sung Kang?
    Sung Kang?
    Yep, that's him. Sorry, I didn't know his name but just looked him up. Pretty smooth looking guy. He's got style.
    I haven't seen him in FF, but Kang was good in Bullet to the Head alongside Sly.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Connery was already a veteran actor when he was cast. Styles did what? Dunkirk and that's it?

Correct--Connery had already played Macbeth and Hotspur (both convincingly) before Bond. And unlike Styles, he looked dangerous and moved like a panther. Finding an actor in his 30s who has promising talent but hasn't yet become a household name is easy--finding one who has the right look, manner, and physique for Bond is more difficult but can be done.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Sung Kang?
    Yep, that's him. Sorry, I didn't know his name but just looked him up. Pretty smooth looking guy. He's got style.
    While I do like him in F&F (haven't seen him outside the series, unfortunately), I don't think he has that "Bond" look.

However, if we're talking actors of Asian descent with the "Bond look", there's one that easily caught my interest ever since I started watching the Hawaii Five-0 remake series. He's not British, but he has that look...

salvation-finale-ian-anthony-dale.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop=1

His name is Ian Anthony Dale. He can play the good-hearted hero type, or be completely evil you'd love to hate (as seen in Tekken). If they make a spy thriller film starring him in the vein of Bond, I'd definitely watch it.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Sung Kang?
    While I do like him in F&F (haven't seen him outside the series, unfortunately), I don't think he has that "Bond" look.

However, if we're talking actors of Asian descent with the "Bond look", there's one that easily caught my interest ever since I started watching the Hawaii Five-0 remake series. He's not British, but he has that look...

His name is Ian Anthony Dale. He can play the good-hearted hero type, or be completely evil you'd love to hate (as seen in Tekken). If they make a spy thriller film starring him in the vein of Bond, I'd definitely watch it.

He looks more like Bond than a lot of names thrown around here, to be honest.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Connery was already a veteran actor when he was cast. Styles did what? Dunkirk and that's it?

Correct--Connery had already played Macbeth and Hotspur (both convincingly) before Bond. And unlike Styles, he looked dangerous and moved like a panther. Finding an actor in his 30s who has promising talent but hasn't yet become a household name is easy--finding one who has the right look, manner, and physique for Bond is more difficult but can be done.

Yes that's the true challenge.

@dominicgreene @ClarkDevlin He doesn't look very Asian either. in fact he could easily pass as white. If only he was British. But he could easily play Steve Carella.
    Sung Kang?

Think he'd be great in a spy thriller. He's the sort of actor you would probably have seen at some point, as he's played in a lot of tv shows – often as a detective or an FBI type character. According to Imdb, he's of Japanese, French and English(!) descent.
    I'll say it again: Steve Carella from the 87th Precinct series by Ed McBain.

And if a British actor looked like him and had the acting skills I would be the first to defend him as Bond in spite of his vaguely Asian look.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sung Kang?

Think he'd be great in a spy thriller. He's the sort of actor you would probably have seen at some point, as he's played in a lot of tv shows – often as a detective or an FBI type character. According to Imdb, he's of Japanese, French and English(!) descent.

He could play Kissy and James Bond’s son with that kind of heritage!
    peter wrote: »

I smell a spin-off...

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    James Bond Jr? :D

I'll take my beating now. :))
  • peterpeter Toronto

I smell a spin-off...

you, me, and @Murdock will start mapping an outline tomorrow-- very simpatico!
    Some 2-3 years ago, I’ve been toying with an idea of a “Son of Bond” story with a friend of mine (basically his concept, but the storyline was mine) in which he properly follows in his supposedly deceased father’s footsteps and gradually becomes 007. But, it didn’t go beyond fan fiction. People aren’t ready to see these kind of things with the Bond franchise yet. Maybe in 30-35 years.

I smell a spin-off...

Please, no! Don't give anyone ideas!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We don t want to see that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    C'mon! Can't you see it? The pre-title sequence could be like an 80s montage starting with a mysterious figure leaving a Japanese village. We cut to Kissy and her swelling belly. The birth of the child. As this boy grows up, he's showing great skill at kicking ass, and when he gets older, bedding all the women in the village. It ends with him finding a photograph in his mother's room. It's of a man-- an anglo man, something he'd only seen on his internet dial-up. He eventually breaks down his mother, who finally admits that the man in the photo is his father.

We run a Sam Smith melody for the title credits.

And the rest of the film is this boy's quest to find his father. He starts in Russia where he's captured and taken to the Vampire State Building. Putin Thunderfinger's waiting for him, and brainwashes the young man to hunt down and kill his father, who happens to be retired secret agent, James Bond...

I smell Oscar.
    Hahaha, I needed that, @peter. :))
    C'mon! Can't you see it? The pre-title sequence could be like an 80s montage starting with a mysterious figure leaving a Japanese village. We cut to Kissy and her swelling belly. The birth of the child. As this boy grows up, he's showing great skill at kicking ass, and when he gets older, bedding all the women in the village. It ends with him finding a photograph in his mother's room. It's of a man-- an anglo man, something he'd only seen on his internet dial-up. He eventually breaks down his mother, who finally admits that the man in the photo is his father.

We run a Sam Smith melody for the title credits.

And the rest of the film is this boy's quest to find his father. He starts in Russia where he's captured and taken to the Vampire State Building. Putin Thunderfinger's waiting for him, and brainwashes the young man to hunt down and kill his father, who happens to be retired secret agent, James Bond...

I smell Oscar.

I am on board. This could be Bond 25. Bond banged Kissy in June 1967, so his son would be born in March 1968.
    image.jpg
    Now get Sean Connery on board.
    He looks great.

581106_636x357.jpg
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Sung Kang?

From that photo he certainly looks the part. Perhaps one day the calls for an Asian Bond will be as rampant as they are today for a black one. For the time being, I'm personally relieved that it's something we don't have to constantly debate and contemplate.
    Sung Kang?

@ClarkDevlin How is the remake series going these days? Remember watching the first season, but didn't continue watching after that (don't remember why, really). Worth giving another go?