Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Yes, age 51 is no problem if Bond becomes a comic book character like he was during the Moore era, however a 51 year old Craig Bond is laughable.

It was getting a problem with Moore and would have become a problem with Brosnan or indeed any Bond. Everyone starts looking his age some point.
    While I'm not a big fan of him as Bond, Brosnan could have gone on for another two at least. He's aged very well.
  • RC7RC7
    Yes, age 51 is no problem if Bond becomes a comic book character like he was during the Moore era, however a 51 year old Craig Bond is laughable.

I'd say it's the opposite of laughable. The Craig era is the only one which actually addresses Bond's age directly. He's not a 57 year old masquerading as a younger man, he's an older man. That's why, for me, it's far from being a problem.
    bondjames wrote: »

It was getting a problem with Moore and would have become a problem with Brosnan or indeed any Bond. Everyone starts looking his age some point.
    While I'm not a big fan of him as Bond, Brosnan could have gone on for another two at least. He's aged very well.

He started looking his age with TWINE. In DAD he looked good for a middle aged man with a beer gut.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Brozzer put his heart into it, and I always want to like him more than I do since I find him such a genuine man.

He tries and gives effort in anything I've seen him do.

That's also the problem: I can see his effort.

And physically, although very handsome, I found him to be unthreatening. He was a movie actor throwing light weight punches, through and through.

Saying all of that, I always feel guilty going negative about the man since he was always classy and genuine. It appeared as if he truly loved the character of Bond. And to date, he is, like Roger before him, a great ambassador for the franchise (even after his knee-capping).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Craig may be pushing 50, but that doesn't mean his character is.
  • RC7RC7
    TripAces wrote: »

He's supposed to be about three years younger than DC, which is fine. I don't mind an older Bond as long as they recognise that, which to this point they have.

True. But still it's stretching credibility if he stays in the role for too long. I want him to do Bond 25 for many reasons, providing it is his last. One of them is the apparent lack of a credible successor.

And no offense to anyone but I often find reading this thread depressing.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think you lead too big a crusade against actors who push 50 you think they're no longer credible for their roles, mate. Like I said ages ago, the 50 year old of today isn't the 50 year old of the 1970s.

Today, people even at the age of 60 can achieve wonders. Just look at Liam Neeson or Sylvester Stallone. They surely don't look their age to me... Compared to what we're used to with the look of the age that's fixated from our believed image that dates back to thirty/forty years ago.
    Yes of course older people looks younger nowadays. But let's not forget that Bond was depicted as a man in his mid 30s and that he's an operative. And he's reckless, arrogant, lacks to a degree the wisdom that should come with age. Yes Moore got away with it for a while because Moore. Not sure it would work with Craig.

And I find it strange that you talk of a crusade I'm apparently leading and a big one no less: I said time and again here and elsewhere on the forum that in spite of my reservations concerning his age I prefer that Craig returns for one more.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Again, mate, that was 50 years ago. His date of birth constantly changed as Fleming himself didn't provide a correct birth year. It's sometimes 1919, sometimes 1920 and other times 1921. All pointed out by extreme Bond scholars alike. But, the Fleming Bond earned his experience rather quickly as Britain was on the brink of a World War when he was in the spy business, even in his early career in military espionage among the Naval Intelligence. His brain was also wired in the theme of the times he lived in. The Bond of today would be vastly advanced with knowledge than the Bond of the books.

I'm not saying Bond should be a 50 year old aging spy, by all means. Bond should remain somewhere around 37-47. These things can easily be pulled off by actors who are older than that age by look the part convincingly. Moore was ages ago. It's a whole new and different game, today. Casting a certain 30 year old with a baby face or a male model template really doesn't match the persona of Bond who's a rugged and rough around the edges despite his sophistication (more so in certain portrayals than the others). He has to look like a veteran 00-agent who, prior to that prefix, had some time and extreme experience in the field as a normal agent. And he 00-prefix has to provide him that wisdom and knowledge, so he'd be familiar with the wear and tear that goes on out there in the field like the back of his hand.

That said, I agree with you that Craig is starting to show his age. That was covered to an extent in Spectre, but a certain make-up didn't do him justice in Skyfall. He looked like someone who legitimately hit the age of 55 or something (by today's average standards). I wouldn't mind if Craig returns, but I also don't mind a change of an actor who definitely looks the part and has the acting chops, too. Can you imagine, for example, someone like Eddie Redmayne in the role of Bond? I certainly couldn't.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I really don't have a problem with age. However, when someone takes out a knee and that in turn has a significant impact on the kind of action we see in a multi-$m production which we waited 3 long years for, then it's unacceptable.

Train, get in shape and be careful next time.

Ultimately this is a younger man's game, if you want the physicality. I am not interested in seeing Bond ageing. It was done once in SF (and also in NSNA) and that should be where it's left.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    True. The actor should also be agile when playing Bond. You can't have a super-spy running around in films today and have him display inferior skills and fake blows (sadly, as wholeheartedly as I love Brosnan, he failed to deliver the goods in his last three when it came to Close Quarters/Hand-to-Hand combat, and even in The November Man. It's noticeable).

However, as long as the actor both looks the part and convincingly delivers the acting performance quite well, I don't mind if he's 50, so to speak. I also happen to love NSNA, so no issues there with me. That Bond was no different than the Bond of the John Pearson, John Gardner and Raymond Benson books.
    @ClarkDevlin I never said that I want a babyface as Bond. Or a male model.I think ideally the future Bond actors should be cast in his mid to late 30s and has the right mature look to play a man in his line of work. And still in his physical prime and thus capable to play the role for a while. I know it's a very fine line: one has to be young enough but a veteran actor.
    Any English actor with recognized experience on stage can pull it off irrespective of youthful looks imho. They have the gravitas. It comes with the territory.
    Any English actor with recognized experience on stage can pull it off irrespective of youthful looks imho. They have the gravitas. It comes with the territory.

Maybe the pool is wider than one would think. You know on this thread I've been so far unconvinced. I've been desperately every English melodrama miniseries and series my wife watches looking for a potential future Bond. I should go back and watch what's on the stage but with a young child it's difficult.
    Certainly, @Ludovico. I'll be all for that. But, most of the 30-somethings nowadays look extremely young it's going to be hard to find what the both of us are looking for. Many are eligible to play the Scarlet Pimpernel and some other young and charming swashbucklers. But, Bond is not that, I'm afraid. It's going to be hard to find the type who's young enough and looks mature enough to play a man in the line of work Bond is in. The "candidates" in 2005 were all great, but not the ones suggested in this decade.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

Maybe the pool is wider than one would think. You know on this thread I've been so far unconvinced. I've been desperately every English melodrama miniseries and series my wife watches looking for a potential future Bond. I should go back and watch what's on the stage but with a young child it's difficult.
    They're definitely out there as long as someone is constantly on the look out for them. They always are. There is an immeasurable amount of talent coming out of the British acting pool ever year. That is the one certainty I have. The trick (imho) is to ensure they can deliver that suave confidence on screen as well. That's about all there is to it imho. Not too complicated.
    If Craig's swansong is BOND26 then it would need,at most,a maximum of a 2 year gap,anything more than that would be a problem.

I think we can definitely get 2 more CraigBond's.

Just a shame they couldn't bring BOND25 to the end of 2018,then it would definitely work.
    I don't think he can/should do 26. 25 yes, sure but by 26 I hope there will be a credible successor then!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    RC7 wrote: »

He's supposed to be about three years younger than DC, which is fine. I don't mind an older Bond as long as they recognise that, which to this point they have.

Agreed.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Some of you guys are missing the point. Bond is supposed to be in his thirties. Forties for the actor is fine, but I really don't think a 50+ year old should be playing the character. Unless ofcoarse its a story about his retirment, which im fine with but some of you arnt
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Late 30s (he had a career in the Royal Navy before joining MI6) to mid-40s.
    Late 30s (he had a career in the Royal Navy before joining MI6) to mid-40s.

True around 42 I beleive was the oldest he was in the novels
    And Bond continued to age in the continuation novels reaching his mid-50s and still be a super effective agent. So, are we still living by the standards of the 1950s?
    And Bond continued to age in the continuation novels reaching his mid-50s and still be a super effective agent. So, are we still living by the standards of the 1950s?

Ihmo, if it wasnt under fleming it doesnt count but okay.

A matter of perspective.

The continuation novels are not canon, surely. I consider them glorified fanfics but they're not Fleming in any case so not references.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

A matter of perspective.

This. I mean, it's not as if Fleming never dropped the ball. I rate some of the Gardner and Benson books higher than at least TSWLM. DAF and GF too.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm not keen on an aging Bond as a part of the story. It timeline fixes the character, which I object too. It worked for NSNA because that was a one-off. They got away with it for SF because of the gap between it and QoS & because of the old dog theme, but retrospectively I wish they hadn't gone there.

I'm not too keen on a Bond actor in his 50s either. I would have objected to Moore in his later years (despite being a big fan) if I was old enough and if we had the internet then too.

It's different for Cruise and the like because they embody the series they star in.

In contrast and because I've grown up with it, I've always seen 'Bond' as the character, and not the 'actor as Bond', who I see as temporary and transient. So ideally I'd like them to be in their early 30s to late 40's, unless they age especially well and can hide it, which few do. Brosnan, for example, could have possibly done a few more.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    By this older Bond logic we should just get Connery back.