Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Kuzco wrote: »
    Listen !! Alex O'Loughlin Is the best !! See him on Hawaii 5-0 when he is in tuxedo and he saves the world , he is perfect for that. He is from australia and he has been considered in 2006 but he was to young , now he is 41 so why not .

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg
    d33c74557a373202ee2ae194ded0cd20.jpg
    I tried to envision him as Bond. Can't see him in the role at all I'm afraid. He's not suited.

Chris Vance, his Season 7 episode co-star on the other hand...

No O'Loughlin is perfect , he is charming , athletic, elegant , he is more charismatic than cavill , Turner , Hiddleston or others; In hawaii 5-0 he plays a navy seal, so yeah he moves like a american soldier and not like a english spy. But that not a problem because he can change that and be an english sky to my mind. ( very sorry for my english , im french )
    I've seen his other work. Afraid can't see him as Bond.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    Listen !! Alex O'Loughlin Is the best !! See him on Hawaii 5-0 when he is in tuxedo and he saves the world , he is perfect for that. He is from australia and he has been considered in 2006 but he was to young , now he is 41 so why not .

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg
    I tried to envision him as Bond. Can't see him in the role at all I'm afraid. He's not suited.

No O'Loughlin is perfect , he is charming , athletic, elegant , he is more charismatic than cavill , Turner , Hiddleston or others; In hawaii 5-0 he plays a navy seal, so yeah he moves like a american soldier and not like a english spy. But that not a problem because he can change that and be an english sky to my mind. ( very sorry for my english , im french )

Why ? He is not a good actor ?

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

He isn't a bad actor. But, just because someone is a good actor doesn't mean one's automatically suitable for any kind of a role. Tom Hardy, for example, as great an actor as he is, is far from being suitable for Bond.
  • KuzcoKuzco france

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

He isn't a bad actor. But, just because someone is a good actor doesn't mean one's automatically suitable for any kind of a role. Tom Hardy, for example, as great an actor as he is, is far from being suitable for Bond.

Tom hardy ? No he will be good as a vilain but he isn't charming and elegant enough to be bond. he is to "bad boy" for that for me

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Tom hardy ? No he will be good as a vilain but he isn't charming and elegant enough to be bond. he is to "bad boy" for that for me
    Agreed. That's what I've been saying. I don't know what some people here see in him. At best he can be a villainous henchman or some SAS operative in a Bond film helping Bond launch a raid on the main villain's base. I can't see him being anything beyond that in a Bond film.
  • KuzcoKuzco france

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Agreed. That's what I've been saying. I don't know what some people here see in him. At best he can be a villainous henchman or some SAS operative in a Bond film helping Bond launch a raid on the main villain's base. I can't see him being anything beyond that in a Bond film.

Yes , you're right ! But me i'afraid when i see people who wants Hiddleston , Turner , Hardy , ElBa to be Bond ... They are to famous and sometime not charismatic enough , the next actor is more unknow

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Yes , you're right ! But me i'afraid when i see people who wants Hiddleston , Turner , Hardy , ElBa to be Bond ... They are to famous and sometime not charismatic enough , the next actor is more unknow
    Oh, I agree. I don't see anybody I know (especially the names listed in this thread) that are suitable for the role. I also agree that the next Bond actor would be an unknown who hasn't been showcasing himself too much wearing tuxedos in public and getting media attention.
  • KuzcoKuzco france

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Oh, I agree. I don't see anybody I know (especially the names listed in this thread) that are suitable for the role. I also agree that the next Bond actor would be an unknown who hasn't been showcasing himself too much wearing tuxedos in public and getting media attention.

Yeah ! an actor like O'Loughlin ( i know , you don't want him to 007 ) is not famous and not in the media article so he can't be. But actor who are in article are sure to never be bond... And for you Craig will return ? Because i don't understand why he is not confirmed if NYTimes says that it's a "done deal"

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Yeah ! an actor like O'Loughlin ( i know , you don't want him to 007 ) is not famous and not in the media article so he can't be. But actor who are in article are sure to never be bond... And for you Craig will return ? Because i don't understand why he is not confirmed if NYTimes says that it's a "done deal"
    O'Loughlin isn't the worst choice, he's somewhere in the middle, between the less favourables and the bad ones. I like him as Steve McGarrett, however.

I've suggested a couple of names before, but they still don't tick as perfect for Bond. I did endorse for Clive Owen once (quite a lot, in fact) but he's too old now. I also suggested Chris Vance who appeared in the second episode of Season 7 of Hawaii Five-0 as a Bond-like secret agent character as well as starring in his own TV Series, Transporter: The Series but he still comes off as too soft for Bond.

I'm not too fond of Craig's return. I won't be disappointed if he returns, but I won't care if he doesn't. As long as they deliver us a great Bond film with right and intact tools that doesn't spark controversy and distaste, I'll be satisfied with whoever plays Bond as long as he's greatly suitable for the role.
  • KuzcoKuzco france

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

O'Loughlin isn't the worst choice, he's somewhere in the middle, between the less favourables and the bad ones. I like him as Steve McGarrett, however.

I've suggested a couple of names before, but they still don't tick as perfect for Bond. I did endorse for Clive Owen once (quite a lot, in fact) but he's too old now. I also suggested Chris Vance who appeared in the second episode of Season 7 of Hawaii Five-0 as a Bond-like secret agent character as well as starring in his own TV Series, Transporter: The Series but he still comes off as too soft for Bond.

I'm not too fond of Craig's return. I won't be disappointed if he returns, but I won't care if he doesn't. As long as they deliver us a great Bond film with right and intact tools that doesn't spark controversy and distaste, I'll be satisfied with whoever plays Bond as long as he's greatly suitable for the role.

You don't think it's strange that Craig is not confirmed yet ?

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what to think. They played the public too much for over two years I don't know what to assume or to believe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what to think. They played the public too much for over two years I don't know what to assume or to believe.
    Precisely. It's like the boy who cried wolf. One can only tease people for so long. At this point I'm like "who really gives a 'f'". Just get on with it why don't you. This dog and pony show is beyond tedious.
    Agreed. Just want confirmation if Craig returns or not. If he does, fine. Then we know we have one more film with him to look forward too. If not, we can be excited about what the next guy can bring to the role.
  • KuzcoKuzco france

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

I tired of that ,
    I hope to have a confirmation soon and that is the end of this mistery.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    Agreed. Just want confirmation if Craig returns or not. If he does, fine. Then we know we have one more film with him to look forward too. If not, we can be excited about what the next guy can bring to the role.

yes , if craig's return is a "done deal" we must have the confirmation , Tired of not knowing
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I personally cant see any of the so called favourites such as Hiddlestone, Elba or Hardy for various reasons.

My own personal short list all seem unlikely too.

Henry Cavill, because he already portrays a major franchise character.

Michael Fassbender, because he is perhaps a little too old to get multiple films from.

Richard Madden because of his relatively small physical stature.
    I still don't want to go on. The world of acting really sucks these days.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Madden was completely outclassed by Elba in Bastille Day/The Take. He doesn't have screen presence imho.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 15,840

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Exactly!!! Excellent point. For instance, I think Frank Langella is an excellent actor, but I wouldn't consider him for Bond. This is pretty much how I feel about most of the names tossed around this thread. Everyone mentioned here or in the press including Hardy, Turner, Elba, Jamie Bell, etc, etc I'd REALLY have to be won over by to prove that man was 007.
    Some, like Turner I can kind of see more than others, but NONE immediately seem remotely like Bond to me.
    Funny enough, Craig actually did seem like a good candidate to me the moment I heard his name bandied about in '05. In spite of his blond hair etc.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Keep that Madden guy far away from Bond.

He was only serviceable in Bastille Day for the purposes of Idris Elba constantly insulting him and teaching him the facts of life. Especially that "pinky promise" scene... Elba effortlessly wins that scene! :))
    bondjames wrote: »
    Madden was completely outclassed by Elba in Bastille Day/The Take. He doesn't have screen presence imho.

He was great as Robb Stark. Give him a sword, a beard and a character that has to avenge someone's death and he's more than capable. But yes as James Bond I'm not sure.

I much preferred 2005 so far, although it's maybe confirmation bias. I was skeptical about Craig but there were other names (mainly rumoured) that were very interesting: James Purefoy, Dominic West, Jason Isaacs. Heck even Henry Caville had not made his name as a beige actor yet! So he looked like he could have potential in the future. Now the names brought forward are either too old, too youthful looking or too incapable of acting.
    Jason Isaacs, Dominic West and Clive Owen all three would've been spectacular, in my honest opinion. Although, Isaacs would've been the best choice.
    Ludovico wrote: »

He was great as Robb Stark. Give him a sword, a beard and a character that has to avenge someone's death and he's more than capable. But yes as James Bond I'm not sure.

I much preferred 2005 so far, although it's maybe confirmation bias. I was skeptical about Craig but there were other names (mainly rumoured) that were very interesting: James Purefoy, Dominic West, Jason Isaacs. Heck even Henry Caville had not made his name as a beige actor yet! So he looked like he could have potential in the future. Now the names brought forward are either too old, too youthful looking or too incapable of acting.
    I'm a bit more optimistic because I've never fully bought into Craig. I appreciate what he's done with the role, but could always see his limitations. I thought youth and intensity worked in his favour initially, but as he's losing that his interpretation is becoming less interesting to me. So I'm perhaps more open to some of the candidates out there for a different spin on the character.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I'm a bit more optimistic because I've never fully bought into Craig. I appreciate what he's done with the role, but could always see his limitations. I thought youth and intensity worked in his favour initially, but as he's losing that his interpretation is becoming less interesting to me. So I'm perhaps more open to some of the candidates out there for a different spin on the character.

Woah!

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg

Precisely. It's like the boy who cried wolf. One can only tease people for so long. At this point I'm like "who really gives a 'f'". Just get on with it why don't you. This dog and pony show is beyond tedious.
    I hear you, sir. I hear you.

Like I saif it's maybe confirmation bias. I was skeptical about Craig. But even when he was cast I remembered that he'd been in Elizabeth and the whole casting had been fantastic. That doesn't make for a good James Bond mind you but at least he was a solid actor and of the right age. In any case there were lots of interesting names brought forward.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Yeah that Jack O'Connell guy looks tiny. I don't know if any "movie magic" is going to change that, unless they just cast a bunch of actual midgets for all the other roles. He's not just short, but thin framed.

Look at him standing beside this kid. I don't see Bond there.

jack-oconnell-jeremy-irvine-mingle-with-the-best-of-the-brits.jpg

I don't think he looks particularly Bondian anyways.

I see Willow the Dwarf.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I really wanted Idris Elba but that's never going to happen so Jack O Connell would be my first choice. He's got a lot of presence and charisma and could do really well as a young, dangerous, roguish Bond imo.

He does look young though. It's tricky. Back in the 60s they could cast a 28 year old and he'd be credible as a seasoned agent. Now? If they want someone who looks like Craig or Connery they'd have to go older, and it's difficult to do that and find an actor who isn't too famous/already attached to a franchise. Longetivity also becomes an issue. It was alright when they did them every two years but if they cast a 40 something actor now we'd get two or three films out of him at best before he got too old.

Still though, I think Jack O'Connell would work as a younger Bond. A lot of the current crop of candidates just seem like skinny indie looking teenagers. But with him, he's young but still has masculinity in spades.

jack-oconnell-met-ball-2015-02.jpg

This was taken a couple of years ago. Shave the bum fluff, weather him a bit ala Brosnan in GE and I think he could easily pull it off. He's worked with Yann Demange before so if he does have the directing gig and Craig is out, hopefully he'll keep O'Connell in mind.

I assume this is a joke, most amusing, ha ha. In this incarnation would 007 have a genetic growth deficiency disorder? Jack O'Connell is 5 ft 7 in - i.e. a midget.

Well google is telling me 5 ft 8, but to be homest I don't put that much importance on height. Movie magic and all that. Sylvester Stallone is apparently 5ft 8 at best in real life and still managed to convincingly play a heavyweight boxer. Craig is the shortest Bond so far and it didn't stop women fawning over him when he came out the sea in CR. Tom Cruise is 5ft 7 at most and they manage to hide it fairly well in all his films.

Height isn't an important part of Bond for me, yeah Fleming described him as tall but none of the Bond actors really fit his description. Bond's height isn't important. He isn't Jack Reacher. In terms of appearance, for me he just needs to come across as manly, good looking and having genuine sex appeal and I don't think height has much impact on that, at least not in films. Height (as long as he's not distractingly short), hair colour, I'd even go as far to argue in this day and age skin colour are just arbitary details that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I've never seen any posts from the women on here saying an actor is too short for example.

Height is an absolute must with me for 007 (at least the average UK of 5 ft 10 in). Height was important to Fleming and Cubby (the founders of the vision). Agreed, In terms of appearance, for me he needs to come across as manly, good looking and having genuine sex appeal. I've never heard a woman say that being short is a sexy trait in a man or a Bond! Bond is also a white character as created by Fleming.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Yeah that Jack O'Connell guy looks tiny. I don't know if any "movie magic" is going to change that, unless they just cast a bunch of actual midgets for all the other roles. He's not just short, but thin framed.

Look at him standing beside this kid. I don't see Bond there.

jack-oconnell-jeremy-irvine-mingle-with-the-best-of-the-brits.jpg

I don't think he looks particularly Bondian anyways.

I see Willow the Dwarf.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sj0dUFC60Bs/hqdefault.jpg
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Friday August 4th 2017

Idris Elba's agent phones Idris.

"Hey, Id, you still interested in playing James Bond?"

"No, not interested anymore. Don't you remember? I'm in a new sci-fi epic franchise called The Dark Tower! Lots of sequels to make. I won't have time to play James Bond."

"Fair enough. Bye."

Monday August 7th 2017:
    The Dark Tower has a low first place take of $19.5M. Dark Tower is the third major studio long-labored misfire of the summer next to Universal’s The Mummy and Warner Bros.’ King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

Idris Elba's agent receives a phone call. It's from his client, Idris.

"Don't suppose there's any chance I can still play Bond? I got a feeling I might have time after all!"

:P