Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    These are extremely interesting times, concerning the development stage we're in. Who will it be? Craig, Turner, someone else? I'm dying to find out. Truly.
    Agreed. Interesting times indeed. I'm sincerely hoping for someone else (anyone really), but we'll see.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,087
    bondjames wrote: »
    @gideoneldude, I agree that there is a bit of Dalton in Turner, looks wise at least. I definitely see it. However Turner is much more playful and 'relaxed' (for lack of a better word). Less intense and wound up.

@Mendes4Lyfe, Turner has a bit of natural Bondian rogueishness and charm to him, which has sadly been missing since CR. I don't think he will need precise script doctoring in order to pull off that element of Bond. It naturally emanates from him, unlike with the incumbent.

Yes, Rogueish is perfect description. There is an episode of Poldark where he gathers a group and they sail to France to rescue a friend who is in imprisoned during the french revolution. Turner captures that swashbuckling spirit brilliantly, which is why I think he would bring a lot to Bond for a short cost.
    Turner wasn't a problem though. He was, from what I've seen, one of the highlights.

Glad to hear it.
    @gideoneldude, I agree that there is a bit of Dalton in Turner, looks wise at least. I definitely see it. However Turner is much more playful and 'relaxed' (for lack of a better word). Less intense and wound up.

Dalton was also a bit more stiff than Turner, I'd say. Turner seems to be a mix of some former Bonds. Perhaps the right recipe. We'll have to wait and see if Babs gives him the chance.

These are extremely interesting times, concerning the development stage we're in. Who will it be? Craig, Turner, someone else? I'm dying to find out. Truly.

Agreed, very exciting. Setting the date of Nov 8th could mean that Craig is back, or it could mean he had decided to quit. There's no telling which way it could go!
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    I've been warning to the idea of James Norton recently. I'd say he's my personal front-runner post-Craig. He's not your archetypal Bond in terms of looks, but he's visually distinctive and is a fantastic actor. He can do suave and ruthless with equal aplomb. Anyone who's seen him in Happy Valley will know the intensity he brings, and despite playing a psycho he has bags of charisma. He also looks like he could seriously fuck people up.

Turner is certainly a lot more classical in terms of looks, but I'm sorry he's just too much of a pretty boy for me and no amount of bulking up will change that. Shave his stubble and he could easily play someone in their early twenties. He's more Whishaw than Craig for me. On top of that I don't think he has the acting chops - and I've seen him in pretty much everything he's been in.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I've been warning to the idea of James Norton recently. I'd say he's my personal front-runner post-Craig. He's not your archetypal Bond in terms of looks, but he's visually distinctive and is a fantastic actor. He can do suave and ruthless with equal aplomb. Anyone who's seen him in Happy Valley will know the intensity he brings, and despite playing a psycho he has bags of charisma. He also looks like he could seriously fuck people up.

Turner is certainly a lot more classical in terms of looks, but I'm sorry he's just too much of a pretty boy for me and no amount of bulking up will change that. Shave his stubble and he could easily play someone in their early twenties. He's more Whishaw than Craig for me. On top of that I don't think he has the acting chops - and I've seen him in pretty much everything he's been in.

Shave Craig's hair short and he could play someone in his early sixties, yet you're fine with him playing Bond again. Why is it a problem to be (slightly) too young, but not too old?

I don't think Turner in 2019 will look younger than Connery in Dr No anyway.
    Norton's not bad. It's just the voice which knocks him down a few pegs in my book.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512

Shave Craig's hair short and he could play someone in his early sixties, yet you're fine with him playing Bond again. Why is it a problem to be (slightly) too young, but not too old?

I don't think Turner in 2019 will look younger than Connery in Dr No anyway.

Bond is a man, not a boy. Old man Bond, fine with me. Hipster, millennial Bond. Forget it.

You're on shaky ground comparing Turner to Connery. Connery had the sort of machismo Aiden could only dream of. There's a ruggedness to Connery in DN that simply isn't there with Turner. Nor is there the danger that Dalton brings. This is a guy with youthful looks, which is fine, but I'm in no way convinced that's going to change all of sudden. He's hardly aged in the last decade.
    Norton's not bad. It's just the voice which knocks him down a few pegs in my book.

Fair enough. Given his work thus far, I'm not actually sure what he'd do as Bond. But he's certainly versatile.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Really? I could understand it from a millennial teenager, the kind of annoying little turd that has no idea that the world existed before they were born, but not a grown ass woman.

Post of the week.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I really wanted Idris Elba but that's never going to happen so Jack O Connell would be my first choice. He's got a lot of presence and charisma and could do really well as a young, dangerous, roguish Bond imo.

He does look young though. It's tricky. Back in the 60s they could cast a 28 year old and he'd be credible as a seasoned agent. Now? If they want someone who looks like Craig or Connery they'd have to go older, and it's difficult to do that and find an actor who isn't too famous/already attached to a franchise. Longetivity also becomes an issue. It was alright when they did them every two years but if they cast a 40 something actor now we'd get two or three films out of him at best before he got too old.

Still though, I think Jack O'Connell would work as a younger Bond. A lot of the current crop of candidates just seem like skinny indie looking teenagers. But with him, he's young but still has masculinity in spades.

jack-oconnell-met-ball-2015-02.jpg

This was taken a couple of years ago. Shave the bum fluff, weather him a bit ala Brosnan in GE and I think he could easily pull it off. He's worked with Yann Demange before so if he does have the directing gig and Craig is out, hopefully he'll keep O'Connell in mind.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, I too think Norton could potentially make a great Bond. I also think He has a more traditional handsome look at least notes than Craig.
    Not against Norton based on the few roles I've seen him in - Grantchester being the one that comes to mind first. Like mentioned by @bondjames, his voice is a bit soft, maybe? Can be the roles that called for a softer touch, but I guess this isn't the case. Look-wise Norton is almost like a mix of traditional Bond-look and Craig-Bond, which isn't bad necessarily.

Do still believe Luke Evans would be one of the better candidates. As good an actor as Norton, and the voice for the part. Can't really have Bond saying «Bond... James Bond» with an overly soft voice, can we?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Can't really have Bond saying «Bond... James Bond» with an overly soft voice, can we?

Brosnan has enough fans.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Can't really have Bond saying «Bond... James Bond» with an overly soft voice, can we?

Brosnan has enough fans.
    And that's the only reason you hate his movies, because you think he's a "pretty boy". ;)
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Not against Norton based on the few roles I've seen him in - Grantchester being the one that comes to mind first. Like mentioned by @bondjames, his voice is a bit soft, maybe? Can be the roles that called for a softer touch, but I guess this isn't the case. Look-wise Norton is almost like a mix of traditional Bond-look and Craig-Bond, which isn't bad necessarily.
    Yes, totally agree, Norton's voice is far too soft for Bond. Strange when you consider that he looks like a rugged, lantern-jawed chap but, as soon as he opens his mouth, he sounds like a pre-pubescent schoolboy. Aiden Turner is still my preferred choice after Craig.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I really wanted Idris Elba but that's never going to happen so Jack O Connell would be my first choice. He's got a lot of presence and charisma and could do really well as a young, dangerous, roguish Bond imo.

He does look young though. It's tricky. Back in the 60s they could cast a 28 year old and he'd be credible as a seasoned agent. Now? If they want someone who looks like Craig or Connery they'd have to go older, and it's difficult to do that and find an actor who isn't too famous/already attached to a franchise. Longetivity also becomes an issue. It was alright when they did them every two years but if they cast a 40 something actor now we'd get two or three films out of him at best before he got too old.

Still though, I think Jack O'Connell would work as a younger Bond. A lot of the current crop of candidates just seem like skinny indie looking teenagers. But with him, he's young but still has masculinity in spades.

This was taken a couple of years ago. Shave the bum fluff, weather him a bit ala Brosnan in GE and I think he could easily pull it off. He's worked with Yann Demange before so if he does have the directing gig and Craig is out, hopefully he'll keep O'Connell in mind.

I assume this is a joke, most amusing, ha ha. In this incarnation would 007 have a genetic growth deficiency disorder? Jack O'Connell is 5 ft 7 in - i.e. a midget.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Jack O'Connell is 5 ft 7 in - i.e. a midget.
    If this is true then I wouldn't want him as Bond.

I've only seen him in Money Monster where he had a meaty part. Sadly George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Catriona Balfe and Dominic West were far more memorable and charismatic than he was. Perhaps it was just an off performance (hopefully).

PS: Balfe should be considered for a role in a Bond film imho.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

I assume this is a joke, most amusing, ha ha. In this incarnation would 007 have a genetic growth deficiency disorder? Jack O'Connell is 5 ft 7 in - i.e. a midget.

Well google is telling me 5 ft 8, but to be homest I don't put that much importance on height. Movie magic and all that. Sylvester Stallone is apparently 5ft 8 at best in real life and still managed to convincingly play a heavyweight boxer. Craig is the shortest Bond so far and it didn't stop women fawning over him when he came out the sea in CR. Tom Cruise is 5ft 7 at most and they manage to hide it fairly well in all his films.

Height isn't an important part of Bond for me, yeah Fleming described him as tall but none of the Bond actors really fit his description. Bond's height isn't important. He isn't Jack Reacher. In terms of appearance, for me he just needs to come across as manly, good looking and having genuine sex appeal and I don't think height has much impact on that, at least not in films. Height (as long as he's not distractingly short), hair colour, I'd even go as far to argue in this day and age skin colour are just arbitary details that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I've never seen any posts from the women on here saying an actor is too short for example.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 175
    Yeah that Jack O'Connell guy looks tiny. I don't know if any "movie magic" is going to change that, unless they just cast a bunch of actual midgets for all the other roles. He's not just short, but thin framed.

Look at him standing beside this kid. I don't see Bond there.

jack-oconnell-jeremy-irvine-mingle-with-the-best-of-the-brits.jpg

I don't think he looks particularly Bondian anyways.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I watched an episode of Black Mirror yesterday with Toby Kebbell, for a moment I considered him as Bond I did not realise he was English.
    Why do I lose my will to live watching the pictures and reading the names on this thread?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Why do I lose my will to live watching the pictures and reading the names on this thread?

You and me both.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    :))
    Murdock wrote: »

You and me both.
    Make that three.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    edited August 2017 Posts: 26
    Listen !! Alex O'Loughlin Is the best !! See him on Hawaii 5-0 when he is in tuxedo and he saves the world , he is perfect for that. He is from australia and he has been considered in 2006 but he was to young , now he is 41 so why not .

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg
    d33c74557a373202ee2ae194ded0cd20.jpg
    Kuzco wrote: »
    Listen !! Alex O'Loughlin Is the best !! See him on Hawaii 5-0 when he is in tuxedo and he saves the world , he is perfect for that. He is from australia and he has been considered in 2006 but he was to young , now he is 41 so why not .

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg
    I tried to envision him as Bond. Can't see him in the role at all I'm afraid. He's not suited.

Chris Vance, his Season 7 episode co-star on the other hand...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Prepare your have your minds blown:

1333574762_ryan-gosling-article.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    original?width=480&version=911875
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Murdock wrote: »

You and me both.
    Make that three.

Fours a crowd
    And it's getting worse and worse.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    edited August 2017 Posts: 26
    Kuzco wrote: »

XmclBuqI_400x400.jpg
    I tried to envision him as Bond. Can't see him in the role at all I'm afraid. He's not suited.

Chris Vance, his Season 7 episode co-star on the other hand...

No O'Loughlin is perfect , he is charming , athletic, elegant , he is more charismatic than cavill , Turner , Hiddleston or others; In hawaii 5-0 he plays a navy seal, so yeah he moves like a american soldier and not like a english spy. But that not a problem because he can change that and be an english spy to my mind. ( very sorry for my english , im french )