Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited March 28 Posts: 2,598
    talos7 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    No script.
    No director.
    No coronations (I keep asking: when was the last time Batman was given to someone with zero tests?

Again, nobody is claiming that there will be a coronation. ATJ has been rumoured to be a contender for well over a year. It's entirely possible that there IS a script and that there IS a director and that they HAVE screentested ATJ.

We THINK that there is no script and there is no director because they usually announce the screenwriters and the director as soon as they sign the contract. What if it's different this time? What if the director is particulary secretive? What if the director and the writer are the same person? *cough* Nolan *cough*

No, I am not saying that everything in the article is correct. Articles containing rumours often mix stuff that's true with stuff that isn't. What I do believe is true is that ATJ is a major contender, and probably the frontrunner right now.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Tell that to Clive Owen.

Yes, who was the member here who was confident that Owen was being cast and even gave a date; he was so sure. Was it “ Luds” ? Or was that another group?

Yes, it was 'Luds' on these forums. He was convinced Clive Owen was the new Bond.

I think Campbell said he didn't even audition.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Back in the day, by media reports, I thought that Owen was going to be a bond.

I sighed with relief when it looked to be all BS (he is one of the most monotone, one note actors I’ve ever watched…)
    Bounine wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    No script.
    No director.
    No coronations (I keep asking: when was the last time Batman was given to someone with zero tests?

Again, nobody is claiming that there will be a coronation. ATJ has been rumoured to be a contender for well over a year. It's entirely possible that there IS a script and that there IS a director and that they HAVE screentested ATJ.

We THINK that there is no script and there is no director because they usually announce the screenwriters and the director as soon as they sign the contract. What if it's different this time? What if the director is particulary secretive? What if the director and the writer are the same person? *cough* Nolan *cough*

No, I am not saying that everything in the article is correct. Articles containing rumours often mix stuff that's true with stuff that isn't. What I do believe is true is that ATJ is a major contender, and probably the frontrunner right now.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Tell that to Clive Owen.

Yes, who was the member here who was confident that Owen was being cast and even gave a date; he was so sure. Was it “ Luds” ? Or was that another group?

Yes, it was 'Luds' on these forums. He was convinced Clive Owen was the new Bond.

I think Campbell said he didn't even audition.

I don't understand for the life of me what people saw in Clive Owen to be Bond. I understand he was in a BMW advert but seriously?

Oh and apparently, there's some antisemitic backlash against ATJ being Bond: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1881899/Aaron-Taylor-Johnson-next-James-Bond-Brosnan-Lazenby-jewish/amp
    I didn't know he was Jewish. You'd think it would stir less of a controversy than being a Black candidate. Apparently not.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The world has turned vile.

An actor who happens to be Jewish has no control over the tragedies happening in Gaza.

Just more hatred being vomited onto the pages of our present-day story. I hope the next generations look back at things like this with disgust.

Bloody sad.

As far as I know, ATJ has never said anything about Gaza, so why would he be dragged into the conversation.

Just nauseating.
    Clive Owen was the Theo James or the Aidan Turner of the time.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 28 Posts: 8,087

People say this and just insert whatever actor they have a distaste for and don't want to see become bond. Its a time honoured tradition at this point.
  • edited March 28 Posts: 703

People say this and just insert whatever actor they have a distaste for and don't want to see become bond. Its a time honoured tradition at this point.

No, I like Theo James and Clive Owen, but they are too old.

An actor who happens to be Jewish has no control over the tragedies happening in Gaza.

Just more hatred being vomited onto the pages of our present-day story. I hope the next generations look back at things like this with disgust.

Bloody sad.

As far as I know, ATJ has never said anything about Gaza, so why would he be dragged into the conversation.

Just nauseating.
    I don't even think ATJ ever made such a fuss about being Jewish. Or even mentioned it at all.

I'm still skeptical about him as Bond, mostly because of his voice. But I'd be happy if a Jewish actor was cast as Bond, as long as he's British. In 2005 I thought Jason Isaacs would be great.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Another reason I find the media, particularly tabloids so repugnant, just how widespread is this antisemitic backlash against him? Too often very small numbers of people are given way too much attention. It’s sensationalism for views.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 28 Posts: 8,501
    Ludovico wrote: »

Bloody sad.

Just nauseating.
    I don't even think ATJ ever made such a fuss about being Jewish. Or even mentioned it at all.

I'm still skeptical about him as Bond, mostly because of his voice. But I'd be happy if a Jewish actor was cast as Bond, as long as he's British. In 2005 I thought Jason Isaacs would be great.

Agreed. I mean, I’ve been open in getting Sope in the role (I don’t think that’s going to happen). So long as the man is from the UK and has the physicality, alpha presence and can be suave and seductive and dangerous and can play an assassin for his country, I don’t care about anything else.

And for these anonymous thugs to take issue with ATJ and tie him to the tragedy in Gaza is sickening.

In the end, the guy is an actor. Just an actor. Leave his ethnicity/religion/personal life-family-wife and children out of it. If you don’t like him as an actor— fine. Everything else is nobodies business.

Edit: very good point @talos7 … most likely the twits behind this movement are a handful of a$$****s. And now, to stir up the sh*t, this rag gives these dinks a larger platform then they’d ever have had, if the Daily Mail didn’t given them the stage.
    Unfortunately that's the way of the internet. Very few of those people would dare say those things publicly, and certainly not to anyone's faces. Awful really.

But ultimately it seems to amount to very few people, and it's something these tabloids have chosen to write about.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Bloody sad.

Just nauseating.

I've also noticed in the comments on articles / social posts about ATJ being Jewish, that bots keep posting comments about Daniel Craig being Jewish or married to a Jewess.

Social media, especially Twitter really has gone to the dogs.
  • All of this is why I’m glad I’ve never had a Twitter (or ‘X’ whatever the hell it’s called), and I’m not about to start one either!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Bigotry is just insanity no matter what social media platform.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Bloody sad.

Just nauseating.

I've also noticed in the comments on articles / social posts about ATJ being Jewish, that bots keep posting comments about Daniel Craig being Jewish or married to a Jewess.

Social media, especially Twitter really has gone to the dogs.

That's scary. And ATJ hasn't been cast yet. For all we know it's just as much a rumour as the Shatterhand one.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/sam-taylor-johnson-aaron-james-bond-b2520291.html

I shall put this here and say that isnt it obvious

Michael Fasbender is the next 007

i mean it says so right there i mean you have to move letters around and such but come on you all see it right
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    As for Dalton, I'm sure the studio told Cubby that they wanted a different Bond and EON gave Dalton the opportunity to step down from the role, rather than be seen to be fired.

It's entirely possible that Dalton simply and genuinely just didn't want to do a third Bond film rather than be urged to jump before being pushed.

Whilst he indicated he'd be up for a third film he nevertheless had a vibe when interviewed by the Bondage fanzine during the filming of LTK that it might be the last ever Bond film.

“My Feeling is this will be the last one. I don’t mean my last one, I mean the end of the whole lot. I don’t speak with any real authority, but it’s a sort of feeling I have. Sorry!”

We may have got him back if the hiatus had been shorter but if he already felt that the Bond series itself might be winding up then after six years out it's likely he mentally moved on and was decent and pragmatic enough to think EON would benefit from the reboot of a new lead.

Of course Cubby would have been happy to retain him as Cubby bless him never liked to shake things up, prepared to have Guy Hamilton back yet again for TSWLM and such like, so may have wanted to be loyal and give Dalton first refusal but I've personally never had a reason not to believe the 'official' version of events given.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Here's why the persistent ATJ rumors are a good thing, actually, from two perspectives:

one: if you like him, sounds like he might be james bond soon! good for you. or he's the next "what was that about" years down the road, but no harm done.

two: you hate him, find his ego and mannerisms a little off-putting, then maybe the producers don't want everyone thinking he's Bond and they'll hurry and decide on someone themselves?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 29 Posts: 2,928
    No doubt another forum of a similar kind will be born when the next actor to play Bond is chosen.
    www.sopedirisuisnotbond.com. Sorry, jetset, couldn't resist. ;)
    Without any kind of dissing, I'd say that Aidan Turner is the Adrian Paul of this period - someone who, on the surface, seems a natural fit for Bond, who's got the look, is easy to imagine in the role, is popular with a general audience, etc, but who a lot of hardcore fans weren't sold on and who didn't align with EON's thinking when the time came.
  • edited March 29 Posts: 2,598
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Here's why the persistent ATJ rumors are a good thing, actually, from two perspectives:

one: if you like him, sounds like he might be james bond soon! good for you. or he's the next "what was that about" years down the road, but no harm done.

two: you hate him, find his ego and mannerisms a little off-putting, then maybe the producers don't want everyone thinking he's Bond and they'll hurry and decide on someone themselves?

I don't think Eon are ever in any kind of hurry when it comes to Bond, except when production on the movie actually begins ten years after the last film. :)
    edited March 29 Posts: 8,087
    This is one of the few ironclad laws of the bond fan community:

If an actor is getting a lot of buzz that you don't particularly like, you say they're the next Clive Owen, and If someone else has a dislike of an actor that you think is right you say they'll join the next actornotbond.com site after he's cast. >:)
    Posted on the Daily Mail message section which is known for its raw comments.
    Sam Taylor-Johnson addresses rumours that her husband Aaron is set to become the next James Bond as speculation continues to swirl
    By Kirsten Murray For Mailonline
    20:05, 28 Mar 2024 , updated 20:14, 28 Mar 2024

MehMeh8800
    Dublin, Ireland
    8h ago
    That guy is no James bond. He looks like a dweeb.

hereswhatitis
    Ballygobackwards, United Kingdom
    9h ago
    I don't get the handsome thing .. he does nothing for me, in fact I think he's creepy-looking

Judie
    London, United Kingdom
    9h ago
    He needs to do something with his greasy hair

BlakkJohnnyAlpha
    Mega-City One, United Kingdom
    7h ago
    it's a NO from me...if he becomes James Bond I will not be watching it...and anyway, what kind of story is it going to be? a reboot?...James Bond is dead...is this pee-rick going to be his illegitimate son? let's face it, Bond must have created enough children to populate a small island!!!

Jules Stafford
    Solihull, United Kingdom
    2h ago
    Big mistake. He does absolutely zero for me.

Stuart
    Bradford
    12h ago
    He is about as charismatic as a plate of cold beans

;))

To be fair, there were positive comments. I'd say 50:50 for and against. My guess is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will get a mixed reaction if cast as Bond. A decent teaser trailer may up his approval rating. 😉

Cowley wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    As for Dalton, I'm sure the studio told Cubby that they wanted a different Bond and EON gave Dalton the opportunity to step down from the role, rather than be seen to be fired.

It's entirely possible that Dalton simply and genuinely just didn't want to do a third Bond film rather than be urged to jump before being pushed.

Whilst he indicated he'd be up for a third film he nevertheless had a vibe when interviewed by the Bondage fanzine during the filming of LTK that it might be the last ever Bond film.

“My Feeling is this will be the last one. I don’t mean my last one, I mean the end of the whole lot. I don’t speak with any real authority, but it’s a sort of feeling I have. Sorry!”

We may have got him back if the hiatus had been shorter but if he already felt that the Bond series itself might be winding up then after six years out it's likely he mentally moved on and was decent and pragmatic enough to think EON would benefit from the reboot of a new lead.

Of course Cubby would have been happy to retain him as Cubby bless him never liked to shake things up, prepared to have Guy Hamilton back yet again for TSWLM and such like, so may have wanted to be loyal and give Dalton first refusal but I've personally never had a reason not to believe the 'official' version of events given.

It was pretty obvious there was mutual respect between Cubby and Dalton. Cubby after all, was eager to cast him for a long time, and when he finally did, he obviously wanted to keep him in the role. The studio, obviously, were looking at the numbers, and the critcal/public reaction and wanted to recast. But I was relieved to hear thst Cubby didn't bow to pressure and would have happily continued with Dalton in the role, ( Cubby quite rightly lambasted some rag newspaper thst declared Dalton was fired!) but the real story finally emerged, that Tim was only willing to fulfill his contract, and do one more, which Cubby quite rightfully said that wouldn't work for the series, and allowed him out his contract. There was no animosity, and no awkwardness like the way Brossa was shown the door, and Dalton remained close to the Broccolis and was even one of the pallbearers at Cubbys funeral!
    I can easily see ATJ in a Edgar Wright directed bond film playing the Simon pegg role.
  • edited March 29 Posts: 2,598
    Who knows whether there is any truth to these rumours but this is why directors and casting directors are used and not the general public unlike on some of these stupid reality TV shows.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 29 Posts: 565
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Posted on the Daily Mail message section which is known for its raw comments.
    Sam Taylor-Johnson addresses rumours that her husband Aaron is set to become the next James Bond as speculation continues to swirl
    By Kirsten Murray For Mailonline
    20:05, 28 Mar 2024 , updated 20:14, 28 Mar 2024

MehMeh8800
    Dublin, Ireland
    8h ago
    That guy is no James bond. He looks like a dweeb.

hereswhatitis
    Ballygobackwards, United Kingdom
    9h ago
    I don't get the handsome thing .. he does nothing for me, in fact I think he's creepy-looking

Judie
    London, United Kingdom
    9h ago
    He needs to do something with his greasy hair

BlakkJohnnyAlpha
    Mega-City One, United Kingdom
    7h ago
    it's a NO from me...if he becomes James Bond I will not be watching it...and anyway, what kind of story is it going to be? a reboot?...James Bond is dead...is this pee-rick going to be his illegitimate son? let's face it, Bond must have created enough children to populate a small island!!!

Jules Stafford
    Solihull, United Kingdom
    2h ago
    Big mistake. He does absolutely zero for me.

Stuart
    Bradford
    12h ago
    He is about as charismatic as a plate of cold beans

;))

To be fair, there were positive comments. I'd say 50:50 for and against. My guess is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will get a mixed reaction if cast as Bond. A decent teaser trailer may up his approval rating. 😉

That sort of reaction is inevitable no matter who gets the role. And really, comment sections are a cesspit of negativity and nonsense, and this one is no different.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 29 Posts: 8,501

@DEKE_RIVERS , surely you're trolling by now?

Bruce Haring wrote that piece which is a "filler", repeating what someone said on a talk show.

I gave you a list of columnists who "break news" on Deadline.

I said hit the link to their names and see that they write "exclusives" and "breaking news" pieces (and Bond's casting would fall under this).

And Haring isn't one of these columnists. He's a reporter. And he reported what ATJ's wife said on a talk show.

And please note how she's having fun, and says, "keep speculating"?

You're surely trolling by now, no?
    Deadline don't let it go.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Deadline don't let it go.

Yep, trolling … 🙄