Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @peter
    Confucius say:
    It’s easy for one to deny being a troll.
    It’s better to rise above and not feed the troll.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Benny wrote: »
    @peter
    Confucius say:
    It’s easy for one to deny being a troll.
    It’s better to rise above and not feed the troll.

Agreed, I’m taking steps back. I think it’s a virus and I don’t want to catch it….
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Deadline don't let it go.

Ok Deke.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Huh? I'm out of the loop clearly, aren't deadline reputable?
  • peterpeter Toronto

@Mendes4Lyfe , I know you don’t like reading anything that may go against your ideas. And you like black or white, but, if you are interested, one of the following, if not more, will comment and likely be one of the first contacted by EoN when they’re ready to announce the real James Bond casting:

the below are examples of breaking news that happens daily, and the journalists that cover the breaking news stories and report on them first (when these types of names start writing about who the new James Bond is, I’m going to shut up and listen)

And tap their names and look at what they were writing about on the day of The Sun’s “breaking new”, and the stories they were writing in the days after…:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/timothee-chalamet-warner-bros-1235868583/

https://deadline.com/2024/03/darren-star-overall-deal-universal-television-1235868119/
    (Peruse all the “exclusives” Nellie breaks, or co-breaks…)

https://deadline.com/2024/03/bruce-springsteen-jeremy-allen-white-movie-scott-stuber-nebraska-scott-cooper-directing-a24-ellen-goldsmith-vein-1235868961/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/bob-iger-disney-nelson-peltz-shareholder-meeting-1235860938/

If you care to take the effort to look at these writers, especially the DL journos , and see their role is to provide their readership with EXCLUSIVE news, BREAKING news.

There was nothing not reputable with what was reported on DL. But the author is not one of their columnists that break news. He's reporting on what ATJ’s wife said on a talk show. That’s not breaking news, an exclusive, just a report.

It doesn’t move the narrative forward, nor does it prove that ATJ has been cast.

In fact, the entire ATJ casting is softening with lines like:

“… when it comes to rumours (that ATJ)… could be Bond”…. No more he’s days away from signing, no more it’s his job, no more EoN is waiting, no more signing by the end of the week, no more he shot the gun barrel, no sign of him being measured up, or three or four film negotiations….

But, moving along…

• buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    peter wrote: »

@Mendes4Lyfe , I know you don’t like reading anything that may go against your ideas. And you like black or white, but, if you are interested, one of the following, if not more, will comment and likely be one of the first contacted by EoN when they’re ready to announce the real James Bond casting:

the below are examples of breaking news that happens daily, and the journalists that cover the breaking news stories and report on them first (when these types of names start writing about who the new James Bond is, I’m going to shut up and listen)

And tap their names and look at what they were writing about on the day of The Sun’s “breaking new”, and the stories they were writing in the days after…:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/darren-star-overall-deal-universal-television-1235868119/

https://deadline.com/2024/03/bruce-springsteen-jeremy-allen-white-movie-scott-stuber-nebraska-scott-cooper-directing-a24-ellen-goldsmith-vein-1235868961/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/bob-iger-disney-nelson-peltz-shareholder-meeting-1235860938/

If you care to take the effort to look at these writers, especially the DL journos , and see their role is to provide their readership with EXCLUSIVE news, BREAKING news.

There was nothing not reputable with what was reported on DL. But the author is not one of their columnists that break news. He's reporting on what ATJ’s wife said on a talk show. That’s not breaking news, an exclusive, just a report.

It doesn’t move the narrative forward, nor does it prove that ATJ has been cast.

“… when it comes to rumours (that ATJ)… could be Bond”…. No more he’s days away from signing, no more it’s his job, no more EoN is waiting, no more signing by the end of the week, no more he shot the gun barrel, no sign of him being measured up, or three or four film negotiations….

But, moving along…

It'd be jolly fun if we could prosecute those rags for their fake bs 'news'. Sick of it.
  • peterpeter Toronto

But, moving along…

It'd be jolly fun if we could prosecute those rags for their fake bs 'news'. Sick of it.

💯… and if ATJ is in the running (no reason not to believe he’s on EoN’s list), does this negatively mark him— nothing against him at all, but two rags have blasted a bright spotlight on the guy. Not his fault. But too much unnecessary attention— so
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 29 Posts: 5,869
    If EON want him, they'll hire him, and if they don't, they won't. No matter what any tabloid (or forum 👀) says.
    I love you guys.

Apart from all the fannying about doing contemporary dance poses, he seems like a nice lad. His voice, is smoother/different.
    After Craig we NEED a Bond with flair, ATJ fits that mould.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    After Craig we NEED a Bond with flair, ATJ fits that mould.

The Gospel according to @Mendes4Lyfe , amen, 😂…

Please tell us more of what “we need”…. 😂

Apart from all the fannying about doing contemporary dance poses, he seems like a nice lad. His voice, is smoother/different.

Say what you want about ATJ, but that hand stand on the chair was impressive.
    I like him. I don’t like his voice, that’s all. But I can overcome it as I did Craig’s very blonde hair :) He seems to have his head in its right place about what matters in a thespian life.

If he were to be Bond, I’d be happy. Extatic? No. But happy. He could very well pull it of and be one of the best, depending of course on the script and overall direction of the piece.
    007HallY wrote: »

I'm finding myself more impressed by him as time goes by. Definitely has the swagger. Aging nicely into the role too.
  • peterpeter Toronto

No doubt about it that he’s a specimen.

He just hasta work a little on the likability factor.
  • edited March 29 Posts: 6,677

Exactly, send him to the pr/hr team for training ;)
    To a Voice coach as well ;)
    Univex wrote: »

Exactly, send him to the pr/hr team for training ;)
    To a Voice coach as well ;)

Or just cast someone who doesn't need any of that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I personally don't really get the smugness. He's no more "smug" than anyone else we've spoken about. As someone whose been following his career for quite a while, since 2007 I think which is crazy, I feel like he's just come out of his shell, he seems a lot more comfortable in himself and with where he stands in the industry and is just enjoying himself. If you compare his interviews now to when he started to become more famous, you can see how uncomfortable, nervous and shy he was. He kinda reminds me of Pattinson in that way, who I think had the same kind of attitude early on which has now developed and his confidence has grown which is natural for everyone as we grow etc.

So I think just overall that's why I struggle to see smugness, maybe if you don't really know of him or his work, it's easier for him to come across as smug but isn't that the case for most people? The only thing I'll agree with is that sometimes he makes some pouty faces in a photoshoot, but if that's enough on its own to stop you from getting Bond, then bloody hell, I need to see EON's checklist.

I've also heard nice things from people who have worked with him, but that's just professionalism, and I'm sure if he was an smug something something they'd have told me.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I personally don't really get the smugness. He's no more "smug" than anyone else we've spoken about. As someone whose been following his career for quite a while, since 2007 I think which is crazy, I feel like he's just come out of his shell, he's a lot more comfortable with where he stands in the industry and is just enjoying himself. If you compare his interviews now to when he started to become more famous, you can see how uncomfortable, nervous and shy he was. He kinda reminds me of Pattinson in that way, who I think had the same kind of attitude early on which has now developed and his confidence has grown which is natural for everyone. So I think just overall that's why I struggle to see smugness, maybe if you don't really know him, it's easier to come across as smug but isn't that the case for most people? The only thing I'll agree with is that sometimes he makes some pouty faces in a photoshoot, but if that's enough on its own to stop you from getting Bond, then bloody hell, I need to see EON's checklist.

I know right? God forbid an actor carries himself with confidence and swagger. Maybe some fans just forgot what that's like after 15 years with Craig in the role. ;))
    I'm on board with him. Cut his hair, give him a wash, he's ready to go. He's all we have!
    I'm on board with him. Cut his hair, give him a wash, he's ready to go. He's all we have!

Agreed, a cut is needed, and a shave.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He's all we have!
    I wouldn't go that far, we have gathered quite a few good candidates imo, but ATJ definitely deserves a screentest when they start the casting process.
    I don't like him at all and he has quite the punchable face. Also I just can't get over his voice. It sounds like he went female to male and it got stuck in the middle. Happens a lot.

From what I have read online in general is that by far most comments are negative towards him. Both men and women find him too soft looking and a far cry from the spirit of Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    From what I have read online in general is that by far most comments are negative towards him. Both men and women find him too soft looking and a far cry from the spirit of Bond.
    I'm not gonna go into the voice thing cause I already have and I respect that's your opinion, but I deffo disagree your latter statement. I mean it kinda depends where you're looking and what you're looking for, but from what I've seen from James Bond specific videos, Twitter responses on DiscussingFilm and FilmUpdates from the last year and last week when these rumours were doing the rounds, I think besides or two people saying nah or a couple others just repeating the name "Henry Cavill" over and over till my brain explodes, I think a lot of people from fans to general movie goers were being quite positive.

But also the internet in 2024... positivity can be quite a rare find sometimes so I don't make this point lightly.
    I'm not gonna go into the voice thing cause I already have and I respect that's your opinion, but I deffo disagree your latter statement. I mean it kinda depends where you're looking and what you're looking for, but from I've seen from James Bond specific videos, Twitter response on DiscussingFilm and FilmUpdates, I think besides or two people saying nah or a couple others just repeating the name "Henry Cavill" over and over till my brain explodes, I think a lot of people from fans to general movie goers could see him do it.

You can disagree with it all you want, but that is a hard fact. In fact, I was a little shocked the general audience doesn't find him suitable at all. Indeed, the general audience would for example prefer Cavill, but ATJ isn't widely liked whatsoever. When the news broke nothing would be 'signed' within a few days there was mostly relief galore.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If he WAS cast @buddyoldchap would you at least give ATJ a chance?

Whilst he’s not my preferred choice, should EON go with Johnson, I’d give in the benefit of the doubt.
    Same as I did with Craig .
    Wasn’t sure when he was cast, gave him a go. Saw CR, he knocked it out of the park.
    Didn’t really like QOS, but it is growing on me. SF is middle of the road for me, but not as great as it thinks it is. SP was actually more fun surpringly, and NTTD is a mixed bag.
    I like a lot of it, but not the whole package.
    There’s a lot I love and a lot I dislike about the Craig era. But I do like that it’s its own timeline.
    I still find it weird that people can’t get over that.
    Bond isn’t dead. He died in NTTD, but a new timeline begins in Bond 26.
    Same as a new timeline with Bond started with CR or Bond 21.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm not gonna go into the voice thing cause I already have and I respect that's your opinion, but I deffo disagree your latter statement. I mean it kinda depends where you're looking and what you're looking for, but from I've seen from James Bond specific videos, Twitter response on DiscussingFilm and FilmUpdates, I think besides or two people saying nah or a couple others just repeating the name "Henry Cavill" over and over till my brain explodes, I think a lot of people from fans to general movie goers could see him do it.

You can disagree with it all you want, but that is a hard fact. In fact, I was a little shocked the general audience doesn't find him suitable at all. Indeed, the general audience would for example prefer Cavill, but ATJ isn't widely liked whatsoever. When the news broke nothing would be 'signed' within a few days there was mostly relief galore.

And how exactly do you figure that isn’t what the General Audience wants? I’m not backing ATJ at all but where’s your source on the General Audience bit?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    but that is a hard fact. In fact, I was a little shocked the general audience doesn't find him suitable at all. Indeed, the general audience would for example prefer Cavill, but ATJ isn't widely liked whatsoever. When the news broke nothing would be 'signed' within a few days there was mostly relief galore.
    Then my eyes must be deceiving me? Look, I'm not trying to say there's no negative response to this rumour, of course there is, but I refuse to pretend it's overwhelmingly negative because even after searching just now, by just typing his name and the role into Twitter, I'm finding more positive tweets and the only negativity I can find mostly is from those who want to boycott him for being Jewish, which is insane.
    but that is a hard fact. In fact, I was a little shocked the general audience doesn't find him suitable at all. Indeed, the general audience would for example prefer Cavill, but ATJ isn't widely liked whatsoever. When the news broke nothing would be 'signed' within a few days there was mostly relief galore.
    Then my eyes must be deceiving me? Look, I'm not trying to say there's no negative response to this rumour, of course there is, but I refuse to pretend it's overwhelmingly negative because even after searching just now, the only negativity I can find mostly is from those who want to boycott him for being Jewish, which is insane.

In my experience of the wider net, reception is generally favourable. Alot of youtube commentators seem to think he is a good choice, even if some would prefer Cavill. There's certainly no outrage or backlash to the idea of him being cast as bond. Even if there was, what would that tell us? EON have to go with their gut, not listen to random folks from the interwebs.