Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 29 Posts: 5,869
    [...] not listen to random folks from the interwebs.
    If they did, Craig would've spent most of 2006/7 washing dye out of his hair.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As far as giving him a chance, as disappointed as I would be if he were to be cast, I would go see the first film and hope to be proven wrong.

With that said, I cannot fathom how anyone can hear him speak and think that he would be a suitable Bond .
    Yes actors can modulate, modify and change their voices, but that would come of as contrived. Having watched several of his performances, as well as many interviews, I have never seen / heard him attempt to deepen, only a generic American accent for Godzilla.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 29 Posts: 155
    Benny wrote: »
    If he WAS cast @buddyoldchap would you at least give ATJ a chance?

Whilst he’s not my preferred choice, should EON go with Johnson, I’d give in the benefit of the doubt.
    Same as I did with Craig .
    Wasn’t sure when he was cast, gave him a go. Saw CR, he knocked it out of the park.
    Didn’t really like QOS, but it is growing on me. SF is middle of the road for me, but not as great as it thinks it is. SP was actually more fun surpringly, and NTTD is a mixed bag.
    I like a lot of it, but not the whole package.
    There’s a lot I love and a lot I dislike about the Craig era. But I do like that it’s its own timeline.
    I still find it weird that people can’t get over that.
    Bond isn’t dead. He died in NTTD, but a new timeline begins in Bond 26.
    Same as a new timeline with Bond started with CR or Bond 21.

Look, in the end I would probably check it out. It would be dependent on quality reviews first and let members from mi6community take a stab in the dark, see what they have to say about it.

You may have read I was never keen on Craig, for my own reasons and in a way I would be offended if they'd go with ATJ and perhaps even his mrs as a 1-2. I go with my gut feeling and I wasn't keen on Craig beforehand, which got confirmed after watching his version of Bond. Also, the choices that were made during his tenure; the whole brofeld thing, Bond dying. So far removed from how I picture Bond and the franchise in general. I never liked ATJ in anything he was in, Kick Ass being the first. Nothing alpha about him, kind of a dweeb.

@007ClassicBondFan Please read back a few replies
  • edited March 29 Posts: 2,065
    @buddyoldchap Okay I did, and you still don’t have any source for your info beyond what you’ve read online for that general audience bit. Look I’m not endorsing ATJ for Bond, but I’m also not excluding any candidates purely on the basis that they’re “voice is soft” and they have a “punchable” face; that seems excessive.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    All I'll say @talos7 is that depth of voices doesn't really bother in any shape or form, in any walk of life. I understand the importance of tone and depth to an extent in the world of acting and performance but I just don't think a performance lives or dies on a those qualities, especially if its own your own voice and it's just higher pitched. I feel a bit differently when it comes to accents, that's way harder to get passed imo.

I don't think you're implying this but I just wanna say that I don't think a higher pitched voice makes you "less of a man" or less "alpha" (hate that term) because... obviously not. Specifically to James Bond, I just think there are more important things than the voice. If he's got a deep voice like Callum or whoever, cool, if he hasn't like ATJ (even if I think we exaggerate how high it is quite often) then so be it. They're both great actors with a lot of potential.
    @buddyoldchap Okay I did, and you still don’t have any source for your info beyond on this general audience bit. Look I’m not endorsing ATJ for Bond, but I’m also not excluding any candidates purely on the basis that they’re “voice is soft” and they have a “punchable” face; that seems excessive.

To each their own. I don't owe you proof, I am just reflecting what I have observed. There are vast amounts of proof out there, go and check it out, perhaps? There are more factors to ATJ why I don't like him as an actor, let alone Bond. Those two merely stand out the most.

@Denbigh We also disagree on skin colour, so I'm not surprised in the slightest we also differ on the count of deepness of voice and its importance, regarding Bond. You've never heard about the term 'commanding voice'? I doubt ATJ would even make an impression on a puppy.
  • edited March 29 Posts: 486
    talos7 wrote: »
    As far as giving him a chance, as disappointed as I would be if he were to be cast, I would go see the first film and hope to be proven wrong.

With that said, I cannot fathom how anyone can hear him speak and think that he would be a suitable Bond .
    Yes actors can modulate, modify and change their voices, but that would come of as contrived. Having watched several of his performances, as well as many interviews, I have never seen / heard him attempt to deepen, only a generic American accent for Godzilla.
    Is his voice noticeably higher than let's say Brosnan's?
    Nothing alpha about him, kind of a dweeb.
    I think even with the higher voice, he is significantly more alpha than Craig. I mean compare and contrast any ATJ interview with any Craig interview. ATJ always seems confident and comfortable in his skin. Craig is pretty much the complete opposite.
    talos7 wrote: »

Is his voice noticeably higher than let's say Brosnan's?

Honestly, you serious?

Edit: Craig is definitely more Alpha than ATJ - LOL. Craig just hates doing interviews, whereas ATJ kraves the attention. Also, I do give Craig's Bond he exudes a modern type of Alpha-ness, showing empathy as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 29 Posts: 8,501
    EoN will go with more than just their gut-feeling.

This will be an exciting time at EoN HQ. A small and intimate group will see history being made in real time.

During auditions, it will bring an air of all the possibilities that could transpire.

And the fate is in the hands of the actors.

There will be a small crew.

There will be the director.

There will be the producers and partners at MGM/Amazon.

And to think that ATJ won't be auditioning, wouldn't be wise. I think a smart bet is to assume he will be there.

But he has to win it during this process-- that's the only absolute I believe is carved in stone (and why I'm a broken record about this most important process)...

I've made a bet that he won't, in the end, get the role, but that's just me and my gut talking. But COULD he win the role? Absolutely.

But they will be calling in x number of other men who have as much as a shot as he does.

And once the first round of auditions is done, the big brains will hash it out. They'll compare all the positives and all of the weaknesses of each candidate.

The ones with more weaknesses than strengths will be eliminated (and we will never see them again, 😂...)

Then comes the harder part: when the list dwindles and each actor has more strengths, and weaknesses are becoming less and less... That's when the real fun begins-- and the knots in the stomach will grow...

Then the big brains will hash it out at the table. They will watch, and re-watch the tapes. They will argue, some conversations may even get heated.

And then, one will take the prize after what is sure to be lengthy discussions (and a bunch of recalls, I'm sure).

More than gut, this will be a committee debate, and then, of course, the final say will go to the two head bosses.

Can ATJ be victorious at the very end? I say I don't think so, but I can also see the scenario where he is the last man standing, and I will have to pay my dues to @bondywondy .

But what I am absolutely certain of is: the rags reporting this nonsense since 2022, are full of the smelly stuff; EON and Amazon aren't just going to give the role to one actor, no matter who, without a competitive process. That's a certainty.

We need:

A script.

The Director (I do believe Villeneuve is the front runner, but, he has said that whatever this secret project is (that he's "not at liberty to speak about"), it "has to see the light of day quickly").

Auditions.

One man stands.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @buddyoldchap Okay I did, and you still don’t have any source for your info beyond on this general audience bit. Look I’m not endorsing ATJ for Bond, but I’m also not excluding any candidates purely on the basis that they’re “voice is soft” and they have a “punchable” face; that seems excessive.
    You've never heard about the term 'commanding voice'?
    I have heard of that term, I just refuse to accept that that only means deep.
  • edited March 29 Posts: 2,065

To each their own. I don't owe you proof, I am just reflecting what I have observed. There are vast amounts of proof out there, go and check it out, perhaps?

I literally asked for your sources and you still haven’t shown me any. Don’t be snarky with me because I’m trying to inquire as to where you get your information when it’s obvious you don’t have any beyond “what you’ve seen.”

There are more factors to ATJ why I don't like him as an actor, let alone Bond. Those two merely stand out the most.

If that’s your prerogative that’s fine; but that kind of rhetoric is no better than the folks who ran the “Craig Is Not Bond” Fansite.
    Denbigh wrote: »

Knock yourself out:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/unlock-your-inner-authority-how-develop-commanding-viki-voice-coach

@007ClassicBondFan We're done buddy. I've been clear.

• @007ClassicBondFan We're done buddy. I've been clear.

No you haven’t but fine. I’m not going to waste my time arguing over “troll” like comments.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    But in my opinion @buddyoldchap, I don't think "manly" and "commanding" always have to go hand-in-hand because, by that logic, men with higher pitch voices can never be commanding and women with a higher pitch can't have commanding voices either, when they obviously can.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I believe a deeper voice is innately more commanding and that isn’t exclusively a masculine trait; a woman with a strong voice is also more commanding . Acting talent aside, compare the voices of say Eva Green and Denise Richards.

No you haven’t but fine. I’m not going to waste my time arguing over “troll” like comments.

@Benny Here we go again, if you disagree with 007CBF you're a troll, apparently

@Denbigh You can bend your views whichever way you see fit. Do you by any chance have a high pitched voice? It would explain a thing or two.

@talos7 and I are on the same page regarding voice and its importance. Facts cannot be meddled with.
  • @buddyoldchap if you want to take this to PM then by all means. I‘ve never once insinuated that, and that’s quite low of you to think otherwise. I’m done discussing this with you here; you can send me a message if you really have something you’d like to say.

@buddyoldchap if you want to take this to PM then by all means. I‘ve never once insinuated that, and that’s quite low of you to think otherwise. I’m done discussing this with you here; you can send me a message if you really have something you’d like to say.

Seriously?

"I’m not going to waste my time arguing over “troll” like comments."

Gaslighting isn't cool, just saying.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Do you by any chance have a high pitched voice? It would explain a thing or two.
    Well I think we're done now @buddyoldchap. We're not doing that.

@Denbigh You can bend your views whichever way you see fit. Do you by any chance have a high pitched voice? It would explain a thing or two.
    Well I think we're done now @buddyoldchap. We're not doing that.

We will never get along, which is fine.
  • @buddyoldchap if you want to take this to PM then by all means. I‘ve never once insinuated that, and that’s quite low of you to think otherwise. I’m done discussing this with you here; you can send me a message if you really have something you’d like to say.

Seriously?

You’re literally acting like an Internet troll. First you throw around absurd/broad statements with no definitive proof to back those claims up. I ask you for some; you start to get defensive and snarky with me, which I called out. Plus you’re generally being quite rude and vicious to other members here on this forum. If you seriously want to continue this discussion further, then you can send me a PM. If not, I’m done here.
    @buddyoldchap if you want to take this to PM then by all means. I‘ve never once insinuated that, and that’s quite low of you to think otherwise. I’m done discussing this with you here; you can send me a message if you really have something you’d like to say.

Seriously?

You’re literally acting like an Internet troll. First you throw around absurd/broad statements with no definitive proof to back those claims up. I ask you for some; you start to get defensive and snarky with me, which I called out. Plus you’re generally being quite rude and vicious to other members here on this forum. If you seriously want to continue this discussion further, then you can send me a PM. If not, I’m done here.

No, I called you out for gaslighting, rightfully so. I was trolling according to you, then you denied it and now you're calling me a troll again. Make up your mind already. Anyway, my time is more precious than arguing with people like yourself. I have been more than clear. Have a good one!

Seriously?

No, I called you out for gaslighting, rightfully so. I was trolling according to you, then you denied it and now you're calling me a troll again. Make up your mind already. Anyway, my time is more precious than arguing with people like yourself. I have been more than clear. Have a good one!

For the last time, you can message me if you want to continue this. Otherwise I’m done with your behavior.

Seriously?

For the last time, you can message me if you want to continue this. Otherwise I’m done with your behavior.

You really do want the last word, don't you? Let me clarify again, one last time: I will not PM you, as I've made myself clear. I am shutting your toxic way of communicating down. Now. I will no longer reply to any of your posts. Please be done with my 'behaviour'. Hilarious.
    I am Bond. Argue that.
    I am Bond. Argue that.

Can't argue with that. You get my vote.
    I am Bond. Argue that.

Can't argue with that. You get my vote.

Haha thanks mate. Always embrace your inner Bond.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I don't mean to come across as harsh to ATJ, but he just strikes me as someone who is young and a bit of a try hard. He doesn't seem cool, calm collected like the other actors cast as Bond.
    Could this be an age thing?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Even if we were to go as far as to call ATJ a brat, which I don't think is a fair characterisation at all, we put up with grumpy old man bond for years "I'd rather slash my..." and the rest, why is bratty young kid bond any worse?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Even if we were to go as far as to call ATJ a brat, which I don't think is a fair characterisation at all, we put up with grumpy old man bond for years "I'd rather slash my..." and the rest, why is bratty young kid bond any worse?

Who’s calling ATJ a brat, 😂?

No one. OMG….😆