Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 29 Posts: 5,869
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I don't mean to come across as harsh to ATJ, but he just strikes me as someone who is young and a bit of a try hard. He doesn't seem cool, calm collected like the other actors cast as Bond.
    Could this be an age thing?
    I wouldn’t say you’re being harsh @Jordo007. I mean it’s no surprise that I wouldn’t call him a try hard. I couldn’t really tell anything about him that comes across as try hard personally, but I do agree he’s a different vibe to others but maybe that would be quite refreshing in general and for those who didn’t like some of Craig’s attitude? and I say that as someone who completely understood where he was coming from.

I also think you have a point about age, less specifically about him, but generationally, the actors EON will be looking at now, were likely kids when Brosnan was born and are very different kinds of actors and people and have their own way of approaching the industry.

But I also think we have to remember that we’re not looking for Bond, we’re looking for someone to become Bond.

I’m gonna stop now cause I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore haha :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Denbigh wrote: »
    But I also think we have to remember that we’re not looking for Bond, we’re looking for someone to become Bond.

Indeed.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Denbigh great point as always mate.

I just see other candidates, Callum Turner in particular, and they seem more relaxed and likeable than ATJ. But you're right my friend it's about them becoming Bond, rather looking for Bond, I'm just nitpicking.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 29 Posts: 5,869
    @Denbigh great point as always mate.
    I just see other candidates, Callum Turner in particular, and they seem more relaxed and likeable than ATJ.
    As we know, I'll take either ;)
    I'm just nitpicking.
    Honestly nitpick away, we've got a lot of time to :D
    I have a nice hat if ATJ is cast this month as 007 i will film myself eating it….

I wonder how many of you atj holder oners will put real money on this
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone else think ATJ looks like Toby Stephens?
    All the complaining about ATJ feels exactly like all the complaining about Craig back in 2005 felt like. And back in 2005, I 100% supported Craig starting from the first rumours of his casting and I 100% support ATJ now.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    All the complaining about ATJ feels exactly like all the complaining about Craig back in 2005 felt like. And back in 2005, I 100% supported Craig starting from the first rumours of his casting and I 100% support ATJ now.

=D>
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 30 Posts: 5,869
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I have a nice hat if ATJ is cast this month as 007 i will film myself eating it….

I wonder how many of you atj holder oners will put real money on this
    We weren’t discussing the rumour anymore, we were discussing ATJ as a potential candidate…
    talos7 wrote: »

Hey dont give us your wooden actors we have plenty of our own (see george clooney and ezra miller)

No it's like criticizing Clive Owen.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 30 Posts: 5,869
    M_Blaise wrote: »

No it's like criticizing Clive Owen.
    The thing about Owen though is that he refused to even audition:

“Playing James Bond would have been like entering a golden prison, and I doubt that would have suited me. I may be the only actor who consistently said, 'No, no and no'”

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=3315

So if ATJ refuses, history could repeat itself, but if not, he still has just as much of a chance.
  • edited March 30 Posts: 2,901
    Random point, but despite having seen a fair few of Clive Owen's films (Children of Men is a great film), my main point of reference for him is legitimately that segment of the Ricky Gervais Show where Karl Pilkington pitches a film idea starring him and Rebecca De Mornay and involves Owen getting hit by a bus in the first scene. I still sometimes mistakenly refer to him as Clive Warren in regular conversation...

Shows you just how much of an impression he's made on me, haha.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

The difference being that Daniel Craig was cast as Bond.
    ATJ is merely an actor the press speculates as becoming James Bond.
    There’s a difference.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited March 30 Posts: 726
    007HallY wrote: »
    Random point, but despite having seen a fair few of Clive Owen's films (Children of Men is a great film), my main point of reference for him is legitimately that segment of the Ricky Gervais Show where Karl Pilkington pitches a film idea starring him and Rebecca De Mornay and involves Owen getting hit by a bus in the first scene. I still sometimes mistakenly refer to him as Clive Warren in regular conversation...

Shows you just how much of an impression he's made on me, haha.

He became famous in the UK for Chancer, which was a big hit back when we only had four channels. I'd argue that it was his best role.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    Do you think this will happen??

01 - George Lazenby
    02 - Timothy Dalton
    03 - XXXXXXX
    04 - Pierce Brosnan
    05 - Daniel Craig
    06 - Sean Connery
    07 - Roger Moore

The next actor will only make three films.

;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 31 Posts: 5,869
    Has anyone tried to include credits where they've played the role outside just the films, like video games etc? Be interesting to see what happens to the numbers then.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Do you think this will happen??

01 - George Lazenby
    02 - Timothy Dalton
    03 - XXXXXXX
    04 - Pierce Brosnan
    05 - Daniel Craig
    06 - Sean Connery
    07 - Roger Moore

The next actor will only make three films.

;)
    Eon actually started the Craig era very optimistically. CR, then seeking to release the next film May 2008. QOS, seeking to release the next 2010. And so on.

That ethos could have lent to films in 2006 then 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 (and Bond killed off ten years ago?).

Considering the real world disruptions experienced, the next Bond actor could plausibly do 3 missions to fill out the historical slate. And I wonder if the filmmakers will plan for that up front, with a story arc or other intent.

As Bond history, it would be interesting to happen.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Has anyone tried to include credits where they've played the role outside just the films, like video games etc? Be interesting to see what happens to the numbers then.
    So, I may have got this wrong, but I've worked out that if you include just the video games that these actors actually were involved in (i.e. they voiced the game), Craig has "officially" played the role more times than anyone, with 8 times, although he ties with Connery if you include NSNA, which I don't personally... but again this doesn't include anything else that counts as them "officially" playing the role under the EON umbrella because to be honest, couldn't be bothered to look :D

1 - Daniel Craig (8)
    2 - Sean Connery/Roger Moore (7)
    3 - Pierce Brosnan (5)
    4 - Timothy Dalton (2)
    5 - George Lazenby (1)
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    So, I may have got this wrong, but I've worked out that if you include just the video games that these actors actually were involved in (i.e. they voiced the game), Craig has "officially" played the role more times than anyone, with 8 times, although he ties with Connery if you include NSNA, which I don't personally... but again this doesn't include anything else that counts as them "officially" playing the role under the EON umbrella because to be honest, couldn't be bothered to look :D

1 - Daniel Craig (8)
    3 - Pierce Brosnan (5)
    4 - Timothy Dalton (2)
    5 - George Lazenby (1)

9 for Craig if you include “Happy and Glorious.”
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

1 - Daniel Craig (8)
    3 - Pierce Brosnan (5)
    4 - Timothy Dalton (2)
    5 - George Lazenby (1)
    Ooo good shout, it's interesting when you look at it this way and take into account these things, especially the video games, cause I know EON and Craig get a lot of flack for how much they did during Craig's long tenure.
  • Denbigh wrote: »

1 - Daniel Craig (8)
    3 - Pierce Brosnan (5)
    4 - Timothy Dalton (2)
    5 - George Lazenby (1)
    Ooo good shout, it's interesting when you look at it this way and take into account these things, especially the video games, cause I know EON and Craig get a lot of flack for how much they did during Craig's long tenure.

Agreed; though I’ll also mention that if you include the times they’ve used the likeness of a Bond actor but not the voice both Craig and Brosnan are actually tied.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 1 Posts: 14,961
    Ed Speelers did an enjoyable turn as a sort of 1930s take on a Bondish character in the second Famous Five film on BBC One today.
    I don’t think he should be Bond or anything but I just mention in passing for folks who like that sort of thing.

1 - Daniel Craig (8)
    3 - Pierce Brosnan (5)
    4 - Timothy Dalton (2)
    5 - George Lazenby (1)

Sean did the FRWL game, so 8 for him too. Craig only voiced two games though didn’t he? So 8 including Happy & Glorious..?

Adverts make it complex: Craig played Bond in official ads for his first four films maybe? I think two Sony ads and two Heineken ones, might be wrong. Brosnan did a few too, I remember a Visa one.
    Craig also did stuff like the Comic Relief skit explicitly in character as Bond: not exactly ‘canon’ or anything, but they seemed to be officially sanctioned by Eon in the same way Happy & Glorious was, and a bit more official than stuff like the SNL skits to me, but maybe that’s just my take.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 1 Posts: 5,869
    mtm wrote: »
    Sean did the FRWL game, so 8 for him too. Craig only voiced two games though didn’t he? So 8 including Happy & Glorious..?
    @mtm I already included the FRWL game. It’s 7 because I haven’t included NSNA, and according to Craig’s IMDb, he voiced three; QOS, Bloodstone and Goldeneye so it’s 9 if we also include Happy and Glorious. But yeah, adverts are a tricky one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yes I forgot about GoldenEye; I was thinking of 007 Legends where someone else did a (really good) impersonation of his voice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Oh yes I forgot about GoldenEye; I was thinking of 007 Legends where someone else did a (really good) impersonation of his voice.
    Yeah that was a really good impersonation. I’m still shocked that Brosnan only voiced EON, given how culturally iconic video games were for his era as James Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I guess they hadn’t put it in his contract then as games developed to that point during his tenure. I thought his performance in EoN was really lacklustre though, he didn’t seem to care. I thought Craig was much better and put more effort into his. Dame Judi was always good; she’s probably the actor to have done the most appearances as her character in Eon stuff. She even did the theme park ride.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    007 The Duel
    Yes I guess they hadn’t put it in his contract then as games developed to that point during his tenure. I thought his performance in EoN was really lacklustre though, he didn’t seem to care. I thought Craig was much better and put more effort into his. Dame Judi was always good; she’s probably the actor to have done the most appearances as her character in Eon stuff. She even did the theme park ride.

The only nitpick I have with his (vocal) performance in EON, was outside the Kiss Kiss Club. Bond comments about 'Southern Hospitality', but it sounds like Brosnan tries to stifle a yawn halfway through the line.
    Tom hardy has officially been cast as 007 for a trilogy of films directed by Chris nolan