Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited February 2023 Posts: 21
    New Rege Jean Page interview:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/02/rege-jean-page-hollywood-issue-2023/
    There are rumors that you’re in the running to be the next James Bond.

It’s a conversation people are having, and it’s terribly flattering that they’re having it. I leave them to it.

Would you do it?

I have no idea. It’s not a thing that is fully occupying my thoughts. I’ve got enough on my plate at the moment. I worry about the work I have, not other people’s jobs.
    Things are getting interesting.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Last night I watched 'The Guest' film for the first time.
    If Barbara Broccoli has watched this and wants to continue with a dangerous/slightly damaged 007 then Dan Stevens is the next Bond. Wow .
    Just my opinion.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Dan Stevens was my potential pick after Spectre when it looked as if the incumbent Dan might not come back.

That being said he may be out of the running now as I think he may be 40 or early 40s.

On a potential black Bond and all the pictures posted a few posts ago... Sope is the right combination of ingredients. And other than that he's seriously yummy! Idris is also great, but age is definitely against him now.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Screentest wrote: »
    New Rege Jean Page interview:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/02/rege-jean-page-hollywood-issue-2023/
    There are rumors that you’re in the running to be the next James Bond.

It’s a conversation people are having, and it’s terribly flattering that they’re having it. I leave them to it.

Would you do it?

I have no idea. It’s not a thing that is fully occupying my thoughts. I’ve got enough on my plate at the moment. I worry about the work I have, not other people’s jobs.
    Things are getting interesting.

God I hope it's not Page, nothing against him but there's far better candidates.

Things are getting interesting, I wonder how far along they are with the process of casting Bond #7 now?
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,954
    Interesting that ATJ and Jean-Page both used a form of the word ‘flattered’ when answering that question. Like their publicists have told them to be as humble as possible answering anything Bond related.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 6,677
    It'll be...none of them :P

But I'm now sure they have good publicists.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Univex wrote: »
    It'll be...none of them :P

But I'm now sure they have good publicists.

Hopefully…
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RGP hasn't got all the attributes to become the next Bond. It takes more than being good looking, and being popular in a TV show.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 784
    Benny wrote: »
    RGP hasn't got all the attributes to become the next Bond. It takes more than being good looking, and being popular in a TV show.

He's in the same ballpark as Aidan. Looks the part better than most but needs to be micromanaged to give a deeply convincing performance.

People keep mentioning Nocturnal Animals for ATJ. I can see a young Bond in this scene but not a psycho serial killer/rapist. Tighter editing would have been to his benefit here.

He's in the same ballpark as Aidan. Looks the part better than most but needs to be micromanaged to give a deeply convincing performance.

People keep mentioning Nocturnal Animals for ATJ. I can see a young Bond in this scene but not a psycho serial killer/rapist. Tighter editing would have been to his benefit.

His voice sounds a bit deeper here, which shows he could turn this on for Bond.

I've recently seen him in The Gray Man. Enjoyed the movie and him enough, but neither him nor the film were outstanding. He comes off as a bit too soft as well. I'm saying this carefully as both roles are very different, but nothing I have seen of him screams Bond so far.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Y'know, i'd rather wait till they announce the next Bond than speculate about who it will be, mostly because i want to see those CraignotBond whiners reaction when the next Bond is not Henry Cavill. :D
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,934
    I agree with Ludovico - Reggie does seem too soft for it. Twenty years ago, I'd've described him as 'metrosexual' - not sure what the kids call that now. Ok, that's him not any role he's playing, but I really wasn't convinced when he tried to play it a bit harder in parts of The Gray Man. I'm more convinced by ATJ , who appears to be a damn good actor, although the most Bondian I've seen him isn't in a film but in those photos that someone posted a few weeks back. As others have said, the voice is a big questionmark - although one thing about ATJ is that he's had such a wide variety of roles, that chameleon quality could serve him well in transforming his performance for particular characters. So I don't think it rules him out. I've never been able to see Idris as Bond at all, though, and I'm actually glad that ship's sailed tbh. In contrast, I could easily see Sope doing it and I think he'd be great, far better than the majority of suggested candidates. Still don't think that EON are ready to make the leap, though.
  • RJP and ATJ side by side on a new magazine cover:
    FpAVD_CWYAgv7IR?format=jpg&name=large
    Will be a cool piece of history one day.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ludovico wrote: »

I've recently seen him in The Gray Man. Enjoyed the movie and him enough, but neither him nor the film were outstanding. He comes off as a bit too soft as well. I'm saying this carefully as both roles are very different, but nothing I have seen of him screams Bond so far.

He was cringeworthy in that. I liked the film well enough, but found his performance more than subpar.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Venutius wrote: »
    I agree with Ludovico - Reggie does seem too soft for it. Twenty years ago, I'd've described him as 'metrosexual' - not sure what the kids call that now. Ok, that's him not any role he's playing, but I really wasn't convinced when he tried to play it a bit harder in parts of The Gray Man.

+1
    I'm more convinced by ATJ , who appears to be a damn good actor, although the most Bondian I've seen him isn't in a film but in those photos that someone posted a few weeks back. As others have said, the voice is a big questionmark - although one thing about ATJ is that he's had such a wide variety of roles, that chameleon quality could serve him well in transforming his performance for particular characters. So I don't think it rules him out.

+1
    I've never been able to see Idris as Bond at all, though, and I'm actually glad that ship's sailed tbh. In contrast, I could easily see Sope doing it and I think he'd be great, far better than the majority of suggested candidates. Still don't think that EON are ready to make the leap, though.

All excellent points, and I'm afraid you might be right about that last point.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2023 Posts: 40,492
    RJP was easily the least threatening character in The Gray Man. That film was pretty awful across the board though so not sure how much of it came down to the script and how much was due to his own acting abilities. It's the only thing I've seen him in.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 14,840

He was cringeworthy in that. I liked the film well enough, but found his performance more than subpar.

I think he was good, not great, as a sexually ambiguous villain. That's how I saw his character anyway. @Venutius mentioned metrosexual and that's pretty much how he comes off. Good enough for the movie, but hardly Bondian. And not sure he's got what it takes beyond good looks.
    @Creasy47 I didn't find The Gray Man awful, just very derivative and predictable.
    I found The Gray Man watchable, but not very good. It had a pretty good cast.
    Part of watching it was to see RGP, as he'd been mentioned as a possible Bond candidate.
    And all I got was this bland character. Most actors relish the chance to play a villain, and really let loose. A chance to be menacing and evil. Think Hans Gruber or Franz Sanchez.
    But RGP did nothing with it. A few leers, some shouting and little else.
    I'd say he comes from the same lumber yard as Henry Cavill.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2023 Posts: 1,318
    RJP was downright horrible in TGM. In fact the worst thing about it, totally out of place. The man shouldn't even be named as a possible Bond candidate.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RJP was downright horrible in TGM. In fact the worst thing about it, totally out of place. The man shouldn't even be named as a possible Bond candidate.

We cannot dismiss an actor on the basis of one film. Sometimes, an actor is only as good as the material he was given.

That said, I've never thought of RJP as a potential Bond. Having seen him in a few other things besides The Gray Man, I find myself unconvinced. Yes, he's handsome. And that's it. Where's the charm, the stamina, the "power"? Where's that extra "spark" that cries Bond? I find him flat in his line delivery and uninteresting otherwise. If we want someone who just looks good, let's pick a male model and hope for the best. But if we want an actor who does extraordinarily well and brings that extra something-something, we're going to have to try harder. In fact, the charm and energy that come from inside the Bond actor are more important to me than their looks. Looks matter to me, but they are not above everything else.

And so... RJP has a look (though still not the look if you ask me), but his inner batteries aren't up for the task, in my humble opinion, of course.
    Part of watching it was to see RGP, as he'd been mentioned as a possible Bond candidate.
    And all I got was this bland character. Most actors relish the chance to play a villain, and really let loose. A chance to be menacing and evil. Think Hans Gruber or Franz Sanchez.

I think the Chris Evans character was meant to be the main antagonist and RJP the evil scheming bureaucrat. Nothing wrong with a sober villain, they can be quite creepy and genuinely menacing, but this was not the case there. Internal affairs would have made mince meat of this guy.

I think the Chris Evans character was meant to be the main antagonist and RJP the evil scheming bureaucrat. Nothing wrong with a sober villain, they can be quite creepy and genuinely menacing, but this was not the case there. Internal affairs would have made mince meat of this guy.

Of course you're right in RGP not being the main villain, but he wasn't in the same league as Anthony Zerbe or any of the secondary Bond villains.

Of course you're right in RGP not being the main villain, but he wasn't in the same league as Anthony Zerbe or any of the secondary Bond villains.

I never found Anthony Zerbe particularly threatening or interesting as Krest, but yeah, we've had better secondary villains than RJP. He also looked a bit youthful to play a man of his rank. I generally don't like youthful looking villains either, except when they are Caligula types. Anyway, he seems to be a nice guy, but I'm not convinced he'll be a good Bond. And I know for sure I don't want him to pull a Toby Stephen and get cast as a Bond villain.

I never found Anthony Zerbe particularly threatening or interesting as Krest, but yeah, we've had better secondary villains than RJP. He also looked a bit youthful to play a man of his rank. I generally don't like youthful looking villains either, except when they are Caligula types. Anyway, he seems to be a nice guy, but I'm not convinced he'll be a good Bond. And I know for sure I don't want him to pull a Toby Stephen and get cast as a Bond villain.

I think I'm one of the few people who likes Toby Stephens Bond villain.
    He's not a classic Bond villain, but he fits the film perfectily.
    As too, the next Bond, no change for me.
    Sope
    Hoult or
    Turner...Aidan

;)

Throw in Tom Hughes too.
    Aidan would be my first choice if I could direct the film (or Campbell/Ritchie/Nolan was available and nitpicks his performance). If not I’d go with Cillian Murphy, Fassbender or even Pattinson.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Aidan would be my first choice if I could direct the film. Otherwise I’d go with Cillian Murphy, Fassbender or even Pattinson.

If Daniel had have stopped after Skyfall, Fassbender would have been perfect.
    If Daniel quit after Spectre, Turner would have been my choice. Both would make brilliant Bond's
    If I was the producer I would have gone with Idris Elba. Hands down the best business decision.
    If I was the producer i would have gone with Idris Elba. Hands down the best business decision.

I think Idris Elba's appeal and popularity is way overrated. Great actor, yes, absolutely, but I don't think he's that popular outside his own fanbase, Bond or no Bond.

I think I'm one of the few people who likes Toby Stephens Bond villain.
    He's not a classic Bond villain, but he fits the film perfectily.
    As too, the next Bond, no change for me.
    Sope
    Hoult or
    Turner...Aidan

;)

Throw in Tom Hughes too.

I always tend to come back to Hughes when thinking about the next Bond. Just feel he'd be different but probably in a good way after Craig.
    Y'know, i'd rather wait till they announce the next Bond than speculate about who it will be, mostly because i want to see those CraignotBond whiners reaction when the next Bond is not Henry Cavill. :D

I feel we're gonna get a version of craignotbond regardless of whoever's chosen.