Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    Let's get back to the question on everyone's lips: Johnson in or Johnson out?

I'd have Johnson in. There are worse choices out there.

And better ones as well…

Oh, for sure. Johnson isn’t on my preferred list of actors.
    But I’d give him a chance to prove himself in the role.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I have always found Johnson to be annoying and a try hard, so initially a hard pass. I would however watch the film, give him one last try to watch a film with him in it. I didn't like him at all in Bullet Train.
    I think that was the point to a certain extent @JeremyBondon
  • At least the Fassbender train had passed. Good actor but not Bond for me.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    As for Jacob Collins-Levy... I would like a Bond with lips, but that's subjective. Haven't seen him act. Seems a bit of a boring choice in the end.

Perhaps we've just been spoiled in this department after Craig's pouty, but rather cruel (or Bondian) looking mouth.

He might well be a boring choice (again, not familiar enough with him), but I must admit it's one I'd never heard suggested before.
    I've seen him in that Jodie Comer war of the roses series, but I thought he lacked charisma.
    Sorry @LucknFate how have the mods made this thread uncomfortable?

Concerning the next Bond, there's little to go on, other that the brief citeria outline by EON to the press, that we all know.

I'm sure I read something here or somewhere else that an announcement will be made in March.

Is this a rumour, or is it something more concrete, or did I dream that?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Concerning the next Bond, there's little to go on, other that the brief citeria outline by EON to the press, that we all know.

I'm sure I read something here or somewhere else that an announcement will be made in March.

It was rumoured in any case. I have read it too, @jetsetwilly! But the rumour didn't come from EON, so I'm not yet willing to bet my life on it happening. ;-)
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 3,279
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It was rumoured in any case. I have read it too, @jetsetwilly! But the rumour didn't come from EON, so I'm not yet willing to bet my life on it happening. ;-)

Damn!
    giphy.gif

007HallY wrote: »
    Moving swiftly on...

Not my suggestion, but a friend of mine seems to like the idea of Jacob Collins-Levy as a possible contender. 30 years old, Australian, been in stuff like The White Princess and The Witcher: Blood Origin. Not seen him in anything off the top of my head but if anyone else has what do they think?

Shutterstock_10559035cb.jpg

actor-jacob-collins-levy-221373_large.jpg?1622340829

I have a bit of Dorian Gray vibe watching these pics. But yeah, he'd be worth an audition, based on looks alone.
  • Univex wrote: »
    When several longtime members exit the forums because of ONE particular member that has amounted thousands of posts in his 120000 post count in just a couple of years, and no one wants to talk about it, let alone intervene, one has to feel a bit happy when a good diplomatic like you @Benny feels it in the proverbial flesh. I, for one, am just a passing ghost here, and I make no secret of that fact. The sheer amount of PM’s from good old folk that have left in these last few years should be justaposed to said member’s number and frequency of posts.

And hey, feel free to delete this post and carry on. As we all have, one way or another.

On the flip side of that, I’m a longtime member who always enjoys @mtm’s posts, but I’ve found myself shifting back to lurking again because I found myself arguing a lot with another member. And I could also name members who’ve done the same or even left because of their own arguments with other people. I’ve also pissed a fair few people off on here over the years myself, and there’s probably even more I’m unaware of who can’t stand me, because I know I can be a right argumentative knobhead at times.

At the end of the day we’re all different people from different walks of life, bonded by one shared interest (that we disagree over constantly), who don’t really know eachother or what we’ve got going on in our lives that well at all, talking entirely over text (hard to read sometimes). We’re bound to end up arguing sometimes and getting on eachother’s nerves, and members are always going to come and go. It’s not fair at all to single out one person and blame them for that.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,928
    giphy.gif
    One look at this meme and you just know that guy's James Bond. It leaps out of the screen at you. That's him. None of the prospective/suggested candidates this time around has anything like that effect when you see their photos. I thought Aidan Turner was the nearest but after Darth Dimi said he could only picture Turner as the model for a Bond doll, I haven't been able to unsee that! :))
    But we must move forward @Venutius
    We cannot go back!
    Venutius wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    One look at this meme and you just know that guy's James Bond. It leaps out of the screen at you. That's him. None of the prospective/suggested candidates this time around has anything like that effect when you see their photos. I thought Aidan Turner was the nearest but after Darth Dimi said he could only picture Turner as the model for a Bond doll, I haven't been able to unsee that! :))

In all fairness you have the context that he was actually playing James Bond.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I kind of feel the same, but then, I felt like that when I compared Brosnan to Dalton back when he was announced, and I ended up liking him almost as much. Whoever they cast might not look like Bond to me at first, but I’m sure he will eventually. EON have made their fair share of duds, but I don’t think they’ve ever misfired with casting the lead.
    Indeed, Benny. Thing is, with the recently suggested candidates I've usually had to imagine this way and that if I can possibly see them as Bond, maybe - whereas there was an immediate bullseye when I first saw Dalton and knew unquestionably that 'That's James Bond!' It's hard not to wish there was a current candidate who embodied Bond the way that Tim did. On the other hand, I couldn't see Dan as Bond in 2005 but he absolutely made it his own immediately with CR, so I'm not writing anybody off until I've seen the next film!
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,896
    giphy.gif

I kind of feel the same, but then, I felt like that when I compared Brosnan to Dalton back when he was announced, and I ended up liking him almost as much. Whoever they cast might not look like Bond to me at first, but I’m sure he will eventually. EON have made their fair share of duds, but I don’t think they’ve ever misfired with casting the lead.

It's an interesting question to ask - how many of us can actually see that James Bond potential without the hindsight of that person actually playing Bond? I'm sure there were people who wouldn't have been able to see Dalton as the character simply based off his previous roles when he was announced. I do agree though, when he played Bond there was something about him that nailed that subtle cruelty very well.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Moving swiftly on...

Not my suggestion, but a friend of mine seems to like the idea of Jacob Collins-Levy as a possible contender. 30 years old, Australian, been in stuff like The White Princess and The Witcher: Blood Origin. Not seen him in anything off the top of my head but if anyone else has what do they think?

I have a bit of Dorian Gray vibe watching these pics. But yeah, he'd be worth an audition, based on looks alone.

Reminds me a bit of Michael Fassbender in terms of looks. But yes, I completely get what you mean about Dorian Gray.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I think I'm quitting the forum. Goodbye.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah I don't like how your feedback was handled.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I think I'm quitting the forum. Goodbye.

A bit dramatic, no?
    Yeah I don't like how your feedback was handled.

How so? @Benny asked @LucknFate to be more specific. Then @Univex made a kind gesture towards Benny, who never wants to have the final saying in something, except this once (and with good reason.) And that was it.

If you dig a little deeper inside this thread, you'll discover that members clashed over the silliest things, with a bitterness that you will scarcely find anywhere else on the forum. Terms like "racist" have been used. We had to close it down once because some hotheads had to cool off first. What makes this even more surreal is that this thread is 100% conjecture/dreaming and 0% confirmed stuff, which means that it's just not worth all the bickering. When @Benny typed, "Or maybe I was just messing with you. ;)," he was saying goodbye to an argument he wasn't going to pursue any further. It's a discussion forum so you can start, join and leave a debate as you see fit. Benny's wink was an innocent way of leaving a debate he had lost all interest in. Yet all hell broke loose over a remark I see nothing wrong with. Then the drama built up. The "mods" apparently weren't handling things well. But what was supposed to happen? Did Benny have to apologize for suggesting that he was perhaps messing with someone for fun? Of course not.

I get it. Egos were bruised. That's healthy sometimes. But it's over now. So let this be the end of it.

Thank you.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,928
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Thing is, I vividly remember thinking 'That's James Bond!' when I saw the first photo of Dalton in the paper when he was announced in summer '86. Not even kidding. I remember saying it to my then-girlfriend and she went 'What? Timothy Dalton from Wuthering Heights?!' She'd fancied him since she was a kid! :D
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Thing is, I vividly remember thinking 'That's James Bond!' when I saw the first photo of Dalton in the paper when he was announced in summer '86. Not even kidding.

Funny, I had the same experience in '94 with an image of Brosnan. I hadn't even read the headline yet. ;-) Some looks just give it way, no?
    Yes, indeed. Pierce was born to be Bond. Sometimes you can just see it, eh?

The first picture of Craig as Bond also convinced me that he was the right guy for the job, at least in the looks department.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    DarthDimi wrote: »

The first picture of Craig as Bond also convinced me that he was the right guy for the job, at least in the looks department.

Absolutely. Me too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think the next actor will have have a moderate profile, not a star but not an unknown.

For some reason I think that it will be someone not mentioned to any degree on this board, but when revealed many of us will say,’ why didn’t I think of him, the choice makes so much sense’.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think the next actor will have have a moderate profile, not a star but not an unknown.

For some reason I think that it will be someone not mentioned to any degree on this board, but when revealed many of us will say,’ why didn’t I think of him, the choice makes so much sense’.

That is my hope.
    giphy.gif

It's an interesting question to ask - how many of us can actually see that James Bond potential without the hindsight of that person actually playing Bond? I'm sure there were people who wouldn't have been able to see Dalton as the character simply based off his previous roles when he was announced. I do agree though, when he played Bond there was something about him that nailed that subtle cruelty very well.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Moving swiftly on...

Reminds me a bit of Michael Fassbender in terms of looks. But yes, I completely get what you mean about Dorian Gray.
    Off topic, but we need a new, good, faithful adaptation of the novel.
    Sort of back on topic: such adaptation of 19th century classics would be an interesting pool to find a future Bond actor.
    Have to admit, it was actually seeing CR that convinced me that Dan was the man for the job. But it did - immediately. And so convincingly that I can't even imagine where the series would be now without Dan's run.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Have to admit, it was actually seeing CR that convinced me that Dan was the man for the job. But it did - immediately. And so convincingly that I can't even imagine where the series would be now without Dan's run.

As with every new Bond dating back to Moore, I had no interest in the new guy Craig and just figured my days were done, not my Bond (with the exception of Dalton; I was excited about his selection). Then, on every account, I greatly and surprisingly enjoyed their debut performance, but it still took a couple of outings to accept them as "Bond" (actually, Roger sold me right away, but I was 11).

I had seen most of the Connery films at a very young age, all at the drive-in, and I do remember my mother mentioning the "New Guy" (Lazenby), but we didn't bother going to check him out.