Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    Oddly lengthy piece about how James Norton should be Bond- spoilers for Happy Valley finale in there:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2023/02/06/happy-valley-james-norton-why-should-play-james-bond/

Having seen him act in Happy Valley (particularly the last episode) I am now more convinced he could play Bond. There are far worse suggested candidates out there at the moment.
    My wife's been watching Happy Valley so I will ask her. Personally, every time I see him I think he's going to tell Lord Sugar why he should be hired as his apprentice.
    If you look up the word 'dull' in the dictionary you see a photo of James Norton.

He won't be Bond, I'm certain.

Nothing is certain yet.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I generally find Norton lacking, though he was rather good as the smarmy, morally dubious Hugo Swan in The Nevers. I’ve not seen Happy Valley.
    Not sure if Norton interests me as a candidate personally but that’s not necessarily a criticism of him. He’s very good in Happy Valley.
    redherring wrote: »

Sean Connery was a one trick pony in my opinion, not really an excellent actor..
    The only Bond actor to win an Oscar. The only Bond actor which constantly is the number 1 favourite, the only actor seen as the benchmark to beat.

Have you ever seen The Offence? That performance alone was Oscar worthy.

Elsewhere on this thread someone posted that Connery's version of Bond was more cartoonish and lightweight than Moore's.

The original Bond remains the best Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CrabKey wrote: »

Sean Connery was a one trick pony in my opinion, not really an excellent actor..
    The only Bond actor to win an Oscar. The only Bond actor which constantly is the number 1 favourite, the only actor seen as the benchmark to beat.

Elsewhere on this thread someone posted that Connery's version of Bond was more cartoonish and lightweight than Moore's.

It is, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't incredibly well-played.
    Like I said before - probably during that conversation mentioned - Connery's portrayal of Bond was a consciously rather ironic and even tongue in cheek interpretation. As he said himself, he went into it with the intention of making fun of the concept. I don't fully recognise him as Fleming's Bond (perhaps certain traits are exaggerated aspects from the source material), but his early performances were vital to the cinematic version of the character. It's not as much that his portrayal is the benchmark to beat (I mean, one could argue he put in a couple of very lacklustre performances in YOLT and TB) but it's such an important one that any future Bond actor will go into the role with an element of that irony. Moore certainly did, and I'd say it's there with Craig too. At the same time both those actors - as well as the others - had their own way of playing Bond.

Can't deny the strength of Connery's career as well as his acting abilities though. Whether he's your favourite Bond or not is a completely different argument.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,956
    Yes, his isn't a man with an inner life or a history (did that guy swanning through Thunderball ever have parents? Was he ever a child? Did he have a first kiss? Ever read a book? Ever cry? I don't think so: he's a cartoon) but Connery makes it exciting and sexy and fun and he lets you into the joke. He judges it incredibly well (although I think less so in Dr No, where I would argue he's a bit too much of a dick) and it's a totally masterful performance. Just because the character is paper thin very much does not mean it's not a fantastic bit of acting: it's almost proof that it is fantastic acting because there's so little on the page.

The last half of your sentence--well-played--our opinions agree.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    it's almost proof that it is fantastic acting because there's so little on the page.
    Actually, when you put it like that...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

We all love Bond here, but that is not a deep character with any sort of inner life. He's a kiss-kiss bang-banging robot, really. Making that compelling shows real talent and skill.

The late 70s onwards is where they try to flesh the character out marginally more (and it obviously is only very slight), and he acquires some flashes of vulnerability, some human kindness, and he even gains a past.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Norton's OK but I don't think it'll be him.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Not sure if Norton interests me as a candidate personally but that’s not necessarily a criticism of him. He’s very good in Happy Valley.

I guess I'll have to watch it, but I was not impressed with him in McMafia.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

We all love Bond here, but that is not a deep character with any sort of inner life. He's a kiss-kiss bang-banging robot, really. Making that compelling shows real talent and skill.

The late 70s onwards is where they try to flesh the character out marginally more (and it obviously is only very slight), and he acquires some flashes of vulnerability, some human kindness, and he even gains a past.
    I would argue FRWL and OHMSS are exceptions in terms of the inner life or lack thereof.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I would argue FRWL and OHMSS are exceptions in terms of the inner life or lack thereof.

It's true about OHMSS, that is the first glimmer and then it's extinguished as soon as Connery returns. What are you thinking of with regards to FRWL though? His anger over Kerim? That probably is as dramatic as it got for ConneryBond.

I disagree when it comes to Dr. No and FRWL. There was nothing cartoonish or lightweight in those performances. Likewise, the laser beam scene in GF.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I agree, which is why FRWL and DN are Connery’s strongest films (by far in my opinion).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I disagree when it comes to Dr. No and FRWL. There was nothing cartoonish or lightweight in those performances. Likewise, the laser beam scene in GF.

The performances aren't, but the character is. I would say his anger at Kerim's death is probably the most human ConneryBond ever gets; maybe his throwing up after the tarantula.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

The performances aren't, but the character is. I would say his anger at Kerim's death is probably the most human ConneryBond ever gets; maybe his throwing up after the tarantula.

Incorrect, it's suggested but never shot. We merely see him go in the bathroom and shut the door. So I don't think it counts. ;)
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Benny wrote: »

Incorrect, it's suggested but never shot. We merely see him go in the bathroom and shut the door. So I don't think it counts. ;)

It happens in the novel and he clutches his stomach so I think it's a pretty fair assumption.

It happens in the novel and he clutches his stomach so I think it's a pretty fair assumption.

As I said, suggested. But didn’t actually happen.
    It does as you correctly said, happen in the novel.
    I always thought Bond pukes in that scene. It's pretty obvious to me.
    Unless of course his dinner went thru him...........and the tarantula just made it worse.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

Exactly, the implication is there, it happens. Just because something is offscreen it doesn’t mean it’s not intended to happen.

Exactly, the implication is there, it happens. Just because something is offscreen it doesn’t mean it’s not intended to happen.

When entering the bathroom, he touches his stomach. But it's not implied that he's going to vomit. You can make your own assumptions, possibly because this is what happens in the novel.
    But you made the point earlier that it was part of Connery's Bond character that makes him more human. But in this case it's only implied.
    One could argue that someone vomiting is hardly a strong indicator of character or making them more human.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well everyone else seems to think it was implied and took the meaning of it: when someone giving a performance touches their stomach, looks uneasy and goes to the bathroom, I would suggest that they're trying to tell something to the audience rather than putting those actions together randomly, and you did say it was suggested. But that's fine, we all have our own interpretations of things, none are correct or incorrect.

And I'm not sure if you even think it's implied or not:

But it's not implied that he's going to vomit..... But in this case it's only implied.

When we see Bond step out of his car it is also suggested that he's driven somewhere, even if they didn't shoot him driving. But we accept that that's what the filmmakers are telling us.

One could argue that someone vomiting is hardly a strong indicator of character or making them more human.

If one wanted to argue. I would say it shows a vulnerability that ConneryBond almost never displays otherwise: he actually experiences some shock from an event he's been put through, whereas otherwise he's unflappable. He even gets shot in Thunderball but seems to experience no pain, carries on killing people and is fine by the next day.
    Well you must be right of course.
    Or maybe I was just messing with you. For fun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well you must be right of course.
    Or maybe I was just messing with you. For fun.

That would be an odd thing to do for fun. Just having civil chats would be more fun, I'd suggest.
    Well, everyone needs a hobby. ;)
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 3,279

I think the genuine look of fear on Connery's face during the laser scene in GF is the most human Connery Bond gets. Admittedly the rest of the film he is ultra cool cinematic Bond in his absolute mojo prime.

After that it has to be the confrontation with Grant in the train before the fight scene.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    So, has anyone mentioned Aidan Turner lately?