Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited February 2023 Posts: 295
    There's an actor in Emmerdale with a reasonable Bond look. Lawrence Robb. Age 30. Scottish.

bbj6m6FO_400x400.jpg

Obviously you have to imagine him playing a tough secret agent. You can't tell from that clip of any potential. I dunno!

Margo Robbie was in Australian soap Neighbours and she went to Hollywood so soap acting isn't a barrier to film success.

• CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    TDIdogP.jpg

Well the image on his imdb profile is encouraging. Obviously EON wouldn't have him smoking but he's got the comma of hair, and looks sufficiently masculine clean-shaven. I think soap acting gets unfairly maligned but he'd probably get ruled out because he's only got 3 credits to his name, unless he blew them away at an audition I can't see him getting it.
    TDIdogP.jpg

Well the image on his imdb profile is encouraging. Obviously EON wouldn't have him smoking but he's got the comma of hair, and looks sufficiently masculine clean-shaven. I think soap acting gets unfairly maligned but he'd probably get ruled out because he's only got 3 credits to his name, unless he blew them away at an audition I can't see him getting it.

He looks like a young Tom Hardy and honestly I would just prefer Tom Hardy
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Has Daryl McCormack been mentioned? I expect he has, but he’s a big handsome fella, around the right age and getting plaudits for the Leo Grande film.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgUOsSgyCvE1ENqZTn--jlSoTEPS_aTnF1MQ&usqp=CAU
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    tumbleweed-silence.gif
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 784
    Lawrence looks like Cavill in half the pictures and James Dean in the other half. Good voice.

(I haven’t seen any modern actor smoke a cigarette convincingly. Even if they smoke in real life. Third world citizen are on a whole different level)

I think McCormack looks very good cleaned up and without the fade. He has a sparkle in his eye, that many others couldn’t achieve even if they tried.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    They all look a bit too much like babies to me. Maybe I'm just getting older and my taste is changing, which it is, but yeah! Too nice. Too pretty. Nothing that says they saw some sh-....
  • Even Luke Skywalker was too old.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t think killing people gives you wrinkles; it’s the acting which counts.
    McCormack has also played a tough guy in Peaky Blinders, I imagine he’s on the radar.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    mtm wrote: »
    I don’t think killing people gives you wrinkles; it’s the acting which counts.

You misunderstand. It's not about "wrinkles". They just don't look the part to me. It's subjective and that's why you don't get it. Which is fine, BTW. If you guys are happy, that's fine with me. Just calling it as I see it :).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s not about not ‘getting’ anything: for me it’s interesting to look at what Bond could be and use my imagination a bit. And candid photos of actors looking happy aren’t likely to make them look like they’ve seen bad things, because they aren’t acting. A photo of Connery smiling with his wife in ‘61 doesn’t exactly make him look like a killer either, but he turned out to be quite good at pretending.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    mtm wrote: »
    It’s not about not ‘getting’ anything: for me it’s interesting to look at what Bond could be and use my imagination a bit. And candid photos of actors looking happy aren’t likely to make them look like seen bad things, because they aren’t acting. A photo of Connery smiling with his wife in ‘61 doesn’t exactly make him look like a killer either, but he turned out to be quite good at pretending.

Yes. But I still don't see it. That's the only thing you need to 'get'. It's subjective. No need to get upset.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    *Sigh* No-one’s getting upset, nothing about my post suggested I was upset. You don’t have to use that silly tactic to try and reduce anyone. We just look at things differently, that’s all.
    The point of the thread is to make suggestions. I’m not even totally convinced by someone like McCormack because I haven’t seen enough of him, but someone else might be a big fan of his and say he’s great for it.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I think we will never know who's suitable for Bond, until he shoots his first scene and it's shown to the world.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I think we will never know who's suitable for Bond, until he shoots his first scene and it's shown to the world.

It's a great point and true :)!
  • I think wrinkles usually make for more saturated facial textures which are much needed on the clean pictures digital cameras produce. They can also be indicative of actors being able to make facial expressions.

With that said Al Pacino didn’t have any wrinkles when filming the Godfather, and he still achieved the cold gravitas needed for the role. It would also contrast Craig to have a baby faced actor.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I think wrinkles usually make for more saturated facial textures which are much needed on the clean pictures digital cameras produce. They can also be indicative of actors being able to make facial expressions.

With that said Al Pacino didn’t have any wrinkles when filming the Godfather, and he still achieved the cold gravitas needed for the role. It would also contrast Craig to have a baby faced actor.

I agree definitely re: wrinkles. I'm just not sure we need the baby face so much. It's like Pierce... He isn't baby faced but he's clean cut, traditionally handsome and it works in terms of actually looking the part (though acting may be a completely different story). As much as I hate to say it... Aidan Turner is similar (though I think that boat sailed and I don't see it regardless).

Some of the recent suggestions, particularly Oliver Dench, which is mostly what I was referring to just is a no to me. Sorry, not sorry! Didn't mean to cause such a ruckus over this but yeah lol.
    There is more too it than wrinkles as well. Certain faces just look more unique, memorable or appropriate than others (structure, symmetry etc.)

Some look look naturally evil and sinister Willem Defoes smile, Aidan Turners Eyebrows, Cillian Murphy’s Eyes, Judie Dench's whole face.

And some naturally look kinder, e.g Aaron Taylor, Cavill, Oliver Dench.

But as someone said we need to see them at least somewhat act the part before you really can tell (smirk, combed hair or whatever).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    There is more too it than wrinkles as well. Certain faces just look more unique, memorable or appropriate than others (structure, symmetry etc.)

Some look look naturally evil and sinister Willem Defoes smile, Aidan Turners Eyebrows, Cillian Murphy’s Eyes.

And some naturally look kinder, e.g Aaron Taylor, Cavill, Oliver Dench.

But as someone said we need to see them at least somewhat act the part before you really can tell (smirk or whatever).

The right actor for Bond should be able to effortlessly go from charming to ruthless . Few can do it well. Hugh is a master of it; I’m not seeing it in many younger actors. In another timeline he would have been awesome.

bLXHNsI.jpg

OqInZXb.jpg

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2023 Posts: 5,834
    While I'm aware of your feelings towards his voice @talos7, I have to say that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is that perfect blend of charming and ruthless to me. His best roles are great examples of it. Bullet Train, Nocturnal Animals, and even Nowhere Boy to be honest to name just a few.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    While I'm aware of your feelings towards his voice @talos7, I have to say that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is that perfect blend of charming and ruthless to me. His best roles are great examples of it. Bullet Train, Nocturnal Animals, and even Nowhere Boy to be honest to name just a few.

Voice aside, I just don’t find him very charismatic; obviously many do.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

Voice aside, I just don’t find him very charismatic; obviously many do.

He is not my first choice or even my 5th but so many are enamored with him I am more intrigued
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    As long as he's got a cruel mouth. Like Elon Musk.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Hugh Jackman would have been great, actually.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Hugh Jackman would've been an excellent James Bond.

Por-que-Hugh-Jackman-dijo-no-a-la-franquicia-James-Bond.jpg?crop=0.859375xw:1xh;center,top&resize=1200:*
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a show called Hotel Portofino? I wonder if Judi Dench's nephew Oliver Dench could end up being a candidate?

lucian-ainsworth-oliver-dench.jpg

A tad youthful looking. When was this picture taken?

I believe he probably would have been 29 when that was taken (he's 30 now). Here is a picture of him from the sci-fi show Pandora. He was probably 26 in it:

tv-8things-pandora-dench-1a.jpg

He probably is too young right now, though I don't think he looks too boyish for his age. But I figured if people can mention Harris Dickinson and Harry Styles, then why not throw his name out, especially when he's a part of such a great acting family.

On the long run that might be an advantage.
    He looks less youthful, by which I mean more rugged and Bond-esque, than some of the contenders that are older than him in these pics. Based on these I wouldn't mind him being given an audition.

I agree @CharmianBond , he definitely deserves an audition.
    Stuart Martin is a bit of a Hugh Jackman clone. He appears to be quite bad at picking films though.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Hugh Jackman obviously didn't want the role. He would have been good in it. Maybe it's just me, but he sounds almost like Dalton when he talks.
    In the days dinosaurs roamed the earth, when DN was released I knew nothing of James Bond and certainly nothing about the casting. I had never heard of SC before, so all was amazingly new, something denied younger Bond fans who come to the series knowing there are previous Bonds.

Much is written about RM on this site. A few recent comments about RM vs SC got my attention, so I went back to FYEO last night to give it a fresh look. My opinion has not changed. Serious opening ruined by cheap comedy. A beautiful leading lady with zero facial expression. Action without thrills. And a long submarine sequence with almost no dialogue. Music that has not aged well. Those things speak to the filming and other factors, not RM's acting.

As for RM, I still see him as I did in 1973. New actor with sky high expectations playing the role of Bond, but never owning the role of Bond. For me, never making the sale. Always something self-conscious about his performances. Probably a much nicer guy to meet than SC in real life and working hard to be Bond, but not as convincing as others who took over the role. I certainly won't argue with his success. I recognize for many he is Bond. I think a lot of that is a factor of age and when one first came into the series. That certainly applies to me.

Who could have been a Bond doesn't interest me. They weren't. Imagining a new Bond based on glamour stills also doesn't interest me. Finding a new Bond is like shopping for something you're not quite sure of. But you'll know it when you see it. The new Bond won't please everyone. That's a given. Possibly I'll be in that camp as well.

Owning the role will be the challenge moving forward. As I have mentioned previously, NTTD finished filming in October 2019. Producers knew long before then Bond was dead and DC wasn't returning. They've had plenty of time to think this through. I would like to see them do two things. Return to less epic, longer films. Keep them shorter and tighter. And surprise everyone by announcing a complete unknown as the next Bond.