Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited February 2023 Posts: 784
    Ludovico wrote: »
    If I was the producer i would have gone with Idris Elba. Hands down the best business decision.

I think Idris Elba's appeal and popularity is way overrated. Great actor, yes, absolutely, but I don't think he's that popular outside his own fanbase, Bond or no Bond.

Does any actor today? None of the young ones have universal or even wide appeal in their age groups and its slowly killing the industry.

Every second generation immigrant in europe/america would have watched it in cinemas, in addition to the entire African continent, and most of the Middle East. Anyone who ever has liked black or Urban culture. Unlike the smallest sliver of racist fans, most white ones would have watched and enjoyed it.

Bond is already a global brand but he would have suddenly been more relevant than the Kardashians and the Fast and Furious franchise combined.

Idris Elba as Bond would have arguably sold more tickets than Avatar and Spiderman.

The whole woke/anti-woke spectacle would have been free advertising and since he is such a good actor it wouldnt have hurt the brand, the film or the cause for equal representation.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s interesting to see members mentioning Tom Hughes; he does come to mind when thinking of my , at the moment, top choices, but when I see his name and watch his work, including interviews, I think he would be a good choice.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,954
    talos7 wrote: »
    It’s interesting to see members mentioning Tom Hughes; he does come to mind when thinking of my , at the moment, top choices, but when I see his name and watch his work, including interviews, I think he would be a good choice.

I find it genuinely surprising that neither him nor Jack O'Connell are mentioned for the role in the press. Usually you see various names on these '50 actors who could be the next Bond' type lists. Most of them are obvious and implausible - the Henry Cavill or Idris Elbas - but you do get names like Jack Lowden, and even as of late Sope Dirisu, thrown in there. Hughes I don't think I've ever seen. I suppose he's not all that well known in the grand scheme of things.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 784
    Tom Hughes has a really good look, it would have been interesting too see him bulked up (with more gravitas). But so far I haven’t really found his performances captivating.

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Idris Elba would have been a blockbuster James Bond no doubt, in the right time and place. Craig took up that time and place, which I wouldn't change, but I think Elba would have been great, if a little cocky. Who the hell is Tom Hughes and why do I not want to watch a single thing he's been in? That's a problem.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,954
    Tom Hughes has a good look, would have been interesting too see him bulked up. But I dont really find his performances captivating.

I thought he was very good in The Game. It's not a show I liked - a sort of cheaper, second rate Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - but I thought he carried it and the way he played his character felt very Bondian. I think he's a very effective character actor but one who hasn't fully hit his stride. Still, whatever I've watched him in (even in something like Cemetery Junction) I've seen little flickers of potential in there, something that might make a great Bond. Again, it'd be different from Craig's Bond (less brutish, more flawed perhaps) and I don't think could be approached in quite the same way, but it might be interesting and could work with the right Bond film.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Idris Elba would have been a blockbuster James Bond no doubt, in the right time and place. Craig took up that time and place, which I wouldn't change, but I think Elba would have been great, if a little cocky. Who the hell is Tom Hughes and why do I not want to watch a single thing he's been in? That's a problem.

But have you actually seen him in anything? Apart from this rather infuriatingly edited video that is.
    If I was the producer i would have gone with Idris Elba. Hands down the best business decision.

I think Idris Elba's appeal and popularity is way overrated. Great actor, yes, absolutely, but I don't think he's that popular outside his own fanbase, Bond or no Bond.

Does any actor today? None of the young ones have universal appeal and its slowly killing the industry.

Every second generation immigrant in europe/america would have watched it in cinemas, in addition to the entire African continent, and most of the Middle East. Anyone who ever has liked black or Urban culture.

Bond is already a global brand but he would have suddenly been more relevant than the Kardashians and the Fast and Furious franchise combined.

Idris Elba as Bond would have arguably sold more tickets than Avatar and Spiderman.

The whole woke spectacle would have been free advertising and since he is such a good actor it wouldnt have hurt the brand, the film or the cause for equal representation.

I'm no fan of Turner of Cavill, but I'd say at the moment their fanbase is wider than Elba, particularly Cavill. I think Elba is by far the best actor, but he's too old for Bond now. Ten years ago I think the debate about him succeeding Craig made little sense, given his age. Now it's downright absurd.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The fact that some of these actors are not being mentioned in the press, is only good for me. Sometimes being under the radar, but on the list is better than being in the attention of the press.
    I'd say there are plenty of actors who we haven't thought of, who could be scoped by EON.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    ATJ was hardly ever mentioned in the press until it got out EON had met with him.

And it comes at no surprise cause we've been hearing the same names from the press for over ten years. I think for them a story about who the next James Bond is just piss easy journalism that requires hardly any effort than looking at every other list. Idris Elba, Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, Richard Madden, and even James Norton to a certain extent. It just felt reductive which unfortunately, I think, did none of those actors any favours as well as the obvious aging out that some of them have done.

And I would like to just say that while I know some here may think ATJ's meeting being in the press is a sign he won't get the role like Rory Kinnear mentioned in response to the news coming out, but his meeting is based on a fact as opposed to what every other name in the press has been up until that point. For sure, he could not get it 100% but I don't think the attention he's received for being the first name out hurts his chances.

I also think we have to consider where we are in terms of film and television journalism in that it's much easier for us to find out about these castings and these meetings. It's very rare we get a surprise casting announcement, especially when it comes to franchise films.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    ATJ was hardly ever mentioned in the press until it got out EON had met with him.

And it comes at no surprise cause we've been hearing the same names from the press for over ten years. I think for them a story about who the next James Bond is just piss easy journalism that requires hardly any effort than looking at every other list. Idris Elba, Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, Richard Madden, and even James Norton to a certain extent. It just felt reductive which unfortunately, I think, did none of those actors any favours as well as the obvious aging out that some of them have done.

And I would like to just say that while I know some here may think ATJ's meeting being in the press is a sign he won't get the role like Rory Kinnear mentioned in response to the news coming out, but his meeting is based on a fact as opposed to what every other name in the press has been up until that point. For sure, he could not get it 100% but I don't think the attention he's received for being the first name out hurts his chances.

I also think we have to consider where we are in terms of film and television journalism in that it's much easier for us to find out about these castings and these meetings. It's very rare we get a surprise casting announcement, especially when it comes to franchise films.

It's also worth saying ATJ is a bit more high profile as an actor compared to other names. Not saying he's a well known A-Lister, but he's been in some pretty big films and would get more attention when it came out he had this meeting.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited February 2023 Posts: 554
    IMG_1419.jpg
    Sope_Dirisu_Portrait.jpg
    desktop-wallpaper-rege-jean-page.jpg
    john-boyega-personality-gwp-4-819x1024.jpg
    In another world where Craig packed it in after Skyfall I could 100% see Elba killing it as Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Aidan would be my first choice if I could direct the film (or Campbell/Ritchie/Nolan was available and nitpicks his performance). If not I’d go with Cillian Murphy, Fassbender or even Pattinson.

Good post. You have a point. Fassbender would have been superb indeed, one just knows it. Again, I'd given my left nut for Fassie in stead of Craig.
    Benny wrote: »
    The fact that some of these actors are not being mentioned in the press, is only good for me. Sometimes being under the radar, but on the list is better than being in the attention of the press.
    I'd say there are plenty of actors who we haven't thought of, who could be scoped by EON.

I think the most serious contenders are either not mentioned in the press or barely mentioned. When did Daniel Craig started appearing on the media radar in 2005?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2023 Posts: 5,869

I think the most serious contenders are either not mentioned in the press or barely mentioned. When did Daniel Craig started appearing on the media radar in 2005?
    But as I said in my previous post, we're more likely these days to hear about these things before they're officially announced.
    I still posit the possibility of someone at one of the production companies intentionally leaking some names to test the waters. Wouldnt be surprised with some of the names in the press!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I still posit the possibility of someone at one of the production companies intentionally leaking some names to test the waters. Wouldnt be surprised with some of the names in the press!

More likely publicists for various actors.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 1,434
    talos7 wrote: »

More likely publicists for various actors.

To me, the ATJ proximity over the years makes me think they COULD float the idea before any parties have to commit, maybe they learned from CraigsNotBond etc. I'm not even saying this is Eon, but some other meddling party. Whereas the Bridgerton man certainly has an excited publicist. I agree that this time will certainly play out differently to Craig's introduction. Eon has been making more and more of a production out of the BTS so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a grander rollout this time around. Especially if someone like Nolan is helming. I bet the actor rumors heat up then go mysteriously quiet, then a big mag like Empire breaks the story with official input from Eon and full spread on the production team. REINVENTING BOND. That'd be cool.

Does any actor today? None of the young ones have universal or even wide appeal in their age groups and its slowly killing the industry.

Every second generation immigrant in europe/america would have watched it in cinemas, in addition to the entire African continent, and most of the Middle East. Anyone who ever has liked black or Urban culture. Unlike the smallest sliver of racist fans, most white ones would have watched and enjoyed it.

The whole woke/anti-woke spectacle would have been free advertising and since he is such a good actor it wouldnt have hurt the brand, the film or the cause for equal representation.

Casting Elba would definitely have stirred a hornets nest, that's for sure. Publicity would have gone through the roof too.

But it would have divided the fanbase like no other (forget the craignotbond debacle). Fleming purists like me would never be happy with the decision, because he doesn't tally up to the literary description of Bond, and for me that's where any silly racism slur begins and ends. He doesn't match the Fleming description, and for me that is the most important factor I look for in who is chosen as Bond, before we get into charisma, charm, voice, acting ability, etc. which are also just as important.

Having said all that, I'm a huge Elba fan, and he does remind me of a black Sean Connery. Tough, oozes charisma, badass. But I would rather have seen him in a different kind of action franchise rather than be chosen for one which would cause too much controversy among the fanbase.

I'm really looking forward to the new Luther movie coming out, which in a way is its own kind of Bond franchise.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Just watched Bullet Train, ATJ voice makes Brosnan sound like James Earl Jones.

ATJ's voice is just too high pitched, doesn't sound confident at all.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Jordo007 wrote: »

:))
    Jordo007 wrote: »

That's the concern of many people here. But maybe it's like hair for Connery: it can be arranged. David Suchet has a much lower voice than Poirot, but you wouldn't know hearing him in character.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I can't be objective about Idris - I've never liked him in anything I've seen him in. Sorry, all!
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I’m watching The Haunting of Bly Manor at the moment, and I get why Oliver Jackson-Cohen’s name has come up occasionally in relation to 007. His CV is lacking in serious ‘award-bait’ roles, but he’s not bad at all. Perhaps not in my top 5 actors I’d like to see do a Bond scene, but I like him better now than when I first heard him suggested.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I can't be objective about Idris - I've never liked him in anything I've seen him in. Sorry, all!

I don't think you need to apologize @Venutius
    There are many actors suggested for the role that we don't agree on.
    Don’t understand why we are still discussing non-runners, like Elba. The guy is too old.
  • Yeah, boring! Everyone's in denial. All I need is a facelift and I'll look like a million quid,
    Yeah, boring! Everyone's in denial. All I need is a facelift and I'll look like a million quid,

The question on everyone’s lips of course is how tall are you?
    And do you have a high pitched voice ala ATJ?
  • Benny wrote: »

That explains my claireaudience! We'll find out in a full body shot.
    I can mimic a high-pitched voice. I haven't settled on my Bond voice yet but it's good so far.

That explains my claireaudience! We'll find out in a full body shot.
    I can mimic a high-pitched voice. I haven't settled on my Bond voice yet but it's good so far.

I’m sure EON will be the judge of that, in due course.
    One wonders what the full body shot will reveal height wise.
    If you’re taller than 5’10” you could be in.
  • Benny wrote: »
    I’m sure EON will be the judge of that, in due course.
    One wonders what the full body shot will reveal height wise.
    If you’re taller than 5’10” you could be in.

We're in luck... 5'11.5/182cm. Hitting the goldenheight with footwear.