Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Mark my words. CR won't be coming out until 28 May 2018. ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Maybe so... (:
    In 36 hours on the other hand, we'll be getting Eidolon's closing issue.
    In 36 hours on the other hand, we'll be getting Eidolon's closing issue.

Yes, and I'm excited.

Why do you think that?

Also I still don't know about this:
    And does Eidolon reads as a continuation to VARGR or?
    Is Hammerhead before or after VARGR? I am confused with comic book storylines...
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,423
    dragonsky wrote: »

Why do you think that?
    They already delayed it, there's still no announcement, and the Bond schedules are crowded in 2017 there's no way they're going to drown CR among those. Because... Well, it's CR... The Bond bible... The first book... So, there's no way they'll miss out on the chance to release it during the anniversary to honour it. Anniversary. Writer's first book. That's the connection.
    Is Hammerhead before or after VARGR? I am confused with comic book storylines...
    It's unsaid. But, from what I understand, Dynamite has ended the James Bond series with only two storylines which is stupid, to be honest. They could have just released VARGR and Eidolon individually. From now, we'll only get a series of miniseries.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Hammerhead I believe is after Vargr and Eidolon. Eidolon reads like the events happened not too long after Vargr.

Having said that I am at least pretty sure Hammerhead is after Vargr since the M character introduced in Vargr returns in Hammerhead.

Unless he's like Dench's M whom seems to transverse time and space.
    Not to mention, Bond's persona being different...
    True @ClarkDevlin ~O) *sips... and thinks*
    Less than 12 hours, @mcdonbb. :)
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Less than 12 hours, @mcdonbb. :)

:!! ~O) ...I'm trying not to be anxious. :D
    Whoa. A good conclusion. Funny too.
    Gettler wrote: »
    Whoa. A good conclusion. Funny too.

Good!! I won't be able to purchase until Saturday.

Why do you think that?
    They already delayed it, there's still no announcement, and the Bond schedules are crowded in 2017 there's no way they're going to drown CR among those. Because... Well, it's CR... The Bond bible... The first book... So, there's no way they'll miss out on the chance to release it during the anniversary to honour it. Anniversary. Writer's first book. That's the connection.
    It's unsaid. But, from what I understand, Dynamite has ended the James Bond series with only two storylines which is stupid, to be honest. They could have just released VARGR and Eidolon individually. From now, we'll only get a series of miniseries.

Wait the James Bond series ends after Eidolon? WTF? That sounds really stupid..I'd rather have continuation than few miniseries...
    What's different in Eidolon from VARGR?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    That was quite an interesting conclusion... :))

Really not the way i imagined it to be.
    But it was very satisfying, and yes Bloody as hell.
    Also Masters outdid himself with this last issue imho
    It appears I'm the only one who wasn't satisfied with the ending. It was just one sequence. One. Sorry but after that much build-up, I found the conclusion very weak.
    What's different in Eidolon from VARGR?
    Not VARGR and Eidolon. VARGR/Eidolon in comparison to Hammerhead have two different Bonds in terms of persona. Hammerhead is the traditional cinematic Bond. VARGR/Eidolon is the Warren Ellis Bond, someone who's brutal, sarcastic, but like any other ordinary protagonist using the James Bond name. The man doesn't even drop quips properly. He could very well be a character from Spooks.
    The latest issue was a very entertaining chapter, but an unsatisfying conclusion.

It still feels as if there is one more issue to come in this storyline but since we all know there isn't, this just ends up feeling like a rushed and sloppy jump to a finish line.

It's a shame but Ellis seems to have lost his love for this series over the course of part 1 to 6 of Eidolon.
    TR007 wrote: »
    The latest issue was a very entertaining chapter, but an unsatisfying conclusion.

It still feels as if there is one more issue to come in this storyline but since we all know there isn't, this just ends up feeling like a rushed and sloppy jump to a finish line.

It's a shame but Ellis seems to have lost his love for this series over the course of part 1 to 6 of Eidolon.
    Yep! And even though I loved his other works, he just didn't seem to "get" Bond. After Planetary, one would've thought it'd be brilliant to have him on board, but Ellis just didn't do Bond. He did some messed up trigger-happy MI6 man who doesn't take anything seriously. I hope he doesn't come back.
    @clarkdevlin I agree with you completely. Looking forward to finishing Hammerhead and seeing what other writers will bring to the table in 2017.
    Definitely, @TR007! :D
    :-< ..well I'm still looking forward to reading Eidolon's conclusion.

I agree @ClarkDevlin that Ellis's Bond was not quite there but I still enjoyed immensely.

I'm anxious to see how I take the last issue.
    @mcdonbb, I'm afraid you will have the experience of SP that was to the previous three from your point of view, mate. It's not satisfying, and it definitely is rushed out. Regardless, my friend, looking forward to your review.
    Eidolon should have been more of what we got in SP. Hawkwood is a better Hinx.
    It was shorter than a short story.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 5,185
    I can understand the controvery about Ellis Bond, and It will probably always be one, but myself i can appreciate a different take on a character, an alternate reality Bond if you will.
    Don't get me wrong, this will never be my favorite take on Bond and Ellis stories have some key Elements missing that are dear to me, but i still enjoyed his stories a lot. I don't See any harm in trying something new. We will have many writers in the foreseable Future, giving us their own Interpretation of Bond, some will be great, some will be not everybody's cup of tea... Its what it is.

I have just re read Eidolon in its entirety and I stand by what i said, the ending to me was great.
    This Bond is so vicious it's hysterical :D
    It's always refreshing to see a new and alternate take on anything. But, his Bond went a bit too far that it alienated itself from its origins. Sure, the traits and preferences are there, but he's way too cynical for his own good, and not in a sophisticated way, which is anti-Bond if the character "does not enlarge [the viewer/reader/companion] with his vocabulary". It's okay, I guess. VARGR has way more satisfying and climactic ending than Eidolon did. It most definitely did not live up to its promise. There was no suspense in the last issue. It built itself up and up and up, only to close the case with a five minute lengthy of an average action scene. The way Hawkwood was sent off was lame, uninspired and most unclimactic of the Bond villains to ever been put to sleep. People complained about Greene at the time, yes? Well, this one, if seen in a movie, would have made too many Bond fans upset. Like Spectre, the final act was weak and ill-fated. It didn't have an it factor and felt like a scene that takes place merely in the middle of a story or a film. Sorry but no. Ellis lost it at the end.
    Vargr had a big Action movie Type ending, which would seem more appropriate for a Bond story. Eidolons final issue was more of a spy Thriller. If people were expecting another big Action climax, as i did too, then they might have been dissapinted. What i liked about the ending was that when Bond realizes he can't take Hawkwood on by himself, he Tricks him into killing himself by promising to make him a hero, and in his final breath tells him he just Lied, lol. that the ultimate humiliation and to me alot more brutal than just putting a bullet in someones head. This Bond has done enough of that anyways.
    That's exactly why I didn't like it, @00Agent. The Hawkwood character was never the type to commit suicide over a fake promise. It was out of character at its fullest. That's why I disliked it big time. He wasn't a tragic character and as such did all the bad things for the hell of it. And to get paid. Not because he wanted revenge. Sorry but I don't buy the ending. It's like watching a horror movie until Bugs Bunny shows up in the end and finishes the story in a comedic cartoony manner. A trick completely unrelated if you know what I mean.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 5,185
    Yes i see, there wasn't any proper build up to that, everyone was talking about Hawkwood being a war hero but we never got into his character that deep and how he feels about it. It would have been more satisfying if they established beforehad that He actually cares about his legacy... Which judging by his actiins he Clearly did not as you said...

Oh well, lets See how we feel about Eidolon in a year.
    Now we should Focus all our attention on Hammerhead :)
    And Felix Leiter as well...
    00Agent wrote: »
    Yes i see, there wasn't any proper build up to that, everyone was talking about Hawkwood being a war hero but we never got into his character that deep and how he feels about it. It would have been more satisfying if they established beforehad that He actually cares about his legacy... Which judging by his actiins he Clearly did not as you said...

Oh well, lets See how we feel about Eidolon in a year.
    Now we should Focus all our attention on Hammerhead :)
    And Felix Leiter as well...
    True true. And Black Box.