Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

@BAIN123

it is awful, no doubt about it.

I didn't say it's not awful. I just put it into perspective to other such moments in other Bond movies.
    By the way, I guess you cannot watch movies like Harry Potter 1-2 and Spider-Man 1 anymore too because they have the same horrible CGI in it and much more longer scenes and many of them too!!

There is a huge difference though: Spider-Man is science-fiction, Harry Potter fantasy, both have at the core of their universe tropes and elements that would require heavy special effects which would require CGI. Bond movies are spy fantasies, but they are not pure sci-fi, neither do they have magic. The stunts have to be somewhat believable.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ludovico wrote: »

Spider-Man is science-fiction, Harry Potter fantasy, both have at the core of their universe tropes and elements that would require heavy special effects which would require CGI.
    CGI is the cheap & easy way out for replacing stuntmen whatever the film.
    If I had to do the DAD scene as written & directed, I'd have filmed it on a real glacier on the water, done as much as possible practically (with actual STUNT PEOPLE), and 'enhanced' it later with 'supportive' CGI.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The Brosnan era was mediocre....oh wait...that's not controversial!
    Better than the Dalton era.
    Drops-Mic.jpg

I'm a big fan of Brosnan's Bond and I'll defend him on here til the day I die but I think the Dalton era was better in pretty much every single way. Plots (TLD is a great spy story/cold war thriller, LTK is a great revenge story/crime thriller), action/stuntwork (the Brosnan era had some decent stunts but nothing as good as the land rover sequence, cargo net fight, plane water skiing, plane fishing, tanker truck chase, normally Bond films have one big memorable stunt but the Dalton films both had a couple in each, it's the pinnacle of stuntwork in the series imo), tone (the tone in the Dalton era was less muddled, more consistent), scores (nobody can top John Barry and Micheal Kamen's great score was perfect for the 80s action movie vibe of LTK), villains (I like Trevelayn and Elektra but Sanchez is the best villain of the series, and Necros and Dario both towered over any Brosnan henchman imo), general acting quality (the acting was consistently good in the Dalton films, while Terry Hatcher and Halle Berry drag down the Brosnan era), and finally the Bond actors themselves. I love Brosnan as Bond but in my opinion, Dalton just was James Bond. Can't be beaten. It's an amazing performance and a fresh brave move. Dalton played Bond as a tortured man nearing the end of his career. A burnt out world weary assassin. I love those sorts of characters, hardened experienced badasses, and Dalton played it to perfection. You could really see the psychological damage that years of being a secret agent had done to him. He took inspiration from the source material (he was pretty much the Bond from the TLD short story bought perfectly to life), and the scripts of his era gave Bond a moral conscience he didn't have before, which meant that despite being a darker character than before, he was really easy to root for. Dalton's Bond was more than just a blunt instrument, he didn't just blindly follow orders. He was cool, suave, etc, but also jaded and bitter. And Dalton's commitment to this vision showed. Even when he does the one liners, he spits them out sort of begrudgingly in a way that shows how tired of the job he is. I also really liked how when he does the "Bond, James Bond" bit, it's not a cheesey catchphrase. It's just a casual statement. It's almost as if he was determined to show that he didn't need the camera to linger as he cockily delivered the line, because he knew he was James Bond, and the audience soon would too.

Dalton always has been and always will be my favourite James Bond. He was the first one I saw. When I was younger I liked him best because he was the most badass (like I said, best stunts and more than before), and as I've got older I've come to appreciate more and more just how revolutionary and great his performance is.

Brosnan was a great James Bond don't get me wrong. But Dalton just was James Bond, he owned the role in a way not even Connery could imho. Brosnan wasn't bad at all, he's probably my second favourite, but Dalton had left such a tough act to follow that poor Pierce never stood a chance of bettering him ;)
    I'm a big fan of Brosnan's Bond and I'll defend him on here til the day I die
    Me too.
    but in my opinion, Dalton just was James Bond. Can't be beaten. It's an amazing performance and a fresh brave move. Dalton played Bond as a tortured man nearing the end of his career. A burnt out world weary assassin. I love those sorts of characters, hardened experienced badasses, and Dalton played it to perfection. You could really see the psychological damage that years of being a secret agent had done to him. He took inspiration from the source material (he was pretty much the Bond from the TLD short story bought perfectly to life), and the scripts of his era gave Bond a moral conscience he didn't have before, which meant that despite being a darker character than before, he was really easy to root for. Dalton's Bond was more than just a blunt instrument, he didn't just blindly follow orders. He was cool, suave, etc, but also jaded and bitter. And Dalton's commitment to this vision showed. Even when he does the one liners, he spits them out sort of begrudgingly in a way that shows how tired of the job he is. I also really liked how when he does the "Bond, James Bond" bit, it's not a cheesey catchphrase. It's just a casual statement. It's almost as if he was determined to show that he didn't need the camera to linger as he cockily delivered the line, because he knew he was James Bond, and the audience soon would too.
    Very nicely put, my friend!
    Dalton always has been and always will be my favourite James Bond.

Connery: the perfect cinematic Bond
    Brosnan: the perfect action Bond.

Dalton: the perfect FLEMING Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I disagree. TLD had good scenes. The stuff they lifted from Fleming is perfect and the scenes between Dalton and Davies are also good but the rest of the film is ruined by the Moore leftovers. Koskov is a total clown and a terrible villain. Along with Whittaker. They show no menace at all as Dalton looks like he can smash them like bugs. The assassin from the PTS was the best bad guy in the movie. Necros is okay but just another typical Red Grant clone. Whittaker's plot was nothing special. Diamond Smuggling? done already once before. Kara's a block a wood and nothing special. The car chase was the best scene in the movie until it was ruined by that stupid Cello sled scene that followed. TLD is a really big missed opportunity. Once Pushin's death is faked, the movie nosedives from there. Dalton's delivery of Bond, James Bond after he lands on the yacht is the weakest delivery I've ever heard. Dalton is mostly good in it, but can't handle the light stuff at all.

Licence to Kill was a very big step up from The Living Daylights and I have no real problems with that film except for when Dalton tries the humorous bits and the stupid bar fight. I just don't see Dalton as Fleming's Bond. He may have a widow's peak but after my recent viewing of his films, I found his era weak.

Dalton may be a better actor, but Brosnan owned the role and never choked. He could handle drama and quips smoothly.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @thelivingroyale

Nice to see someone who also has Dalton as his favourite and Brosnan as second.

You are right DALTON WAS BOND. No one else comes close, but CONNERY MADE BOND and we have to be grateful forever for that.

BROSNAN had the most difficult job of them all. He had to make Bond a success after the long 6 year gap when most had thought the franchise might be dead.
    Thanks to him we still get Bond movies. He did 4 incredibly successful movies and was the perfect man to get Bond through the nineties and into the 00's.
    Sometimes I wonder how ignorant some people can be who bash Brosnan and his movies just because they now love the "serious, realistic" Bond that CRAIG provides us with.

In 10 years max Brosnan will be amongst the "old" ones and Craig will be in the uncomfortable position to be the predecessor of the current Bond. I'm sure Craig will get quite a bashing then from the new fans of Bond that will love the next actor's take on the role.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Brosnan owned the role and never choked. He could handle drama and quips smoothly.
    Which he is among my top three (second by a nose).
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    (the tone in the Dalton era was less muddled, more consistent)

I actually found LTK one of the most inconsistent, tonewise. Is it a tough revenge thriller or a light Mooresque romp?
    Sark wrote: »
    I actually found LTK one of the most inconsistent, tonewise. Is it a tough revenge thriller or a light Mooresque romp?
    A bit of both, and I love it for the fact.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

Spider-Man is science-fiction, Harry Potter fantasy, both have at the core of their universe tropes and elements that would require heavy special effects which would require CGI.
    CGI is the cheap & easy way out for replacing stuntmen whatever the film.
    If I had to do the DAD scene as written & directed, I'd have filmed it on a real glacier on the water, done as much as possible practically (with actual STUNT PEOPLE), and 'enhanced' it later with 'supportive' CGI.

Maybe it wasn't needed to begin with.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I dont care for FYEO.

It's More the former than the latter, but it still tries to give us the crowd pleasing stuff.
    Here's something controversial: Koskov was poorly written but brilliantly cast. TLD I agree with the person above who said was inconsistent in tone due to remnants of the Moore era. And Dalton was as uncomfortable as Brosnan playing Bond (but for different reasons).
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I think that cutting out some of the gags in LTK would have been a big improvement.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I think that cutting out some of the gags in LTK would have been a big improvement.

I agree. There's quite a bit of stuff in both of the Dalton films that seem dated now and drag the films down.
    @Sark
    @BAIN123

I disagree (highly)

One thing (of a great many) they did right with the Dalton Bonds, especially LTK is to balance the "realism", the brutality, and the humour. I wouldn't want to pass on even one quip or witty remark in LTK (or TLD for that matter).
    Without it LTK would be a depressing drag like Skyfall is in too many places.

Just thinking about it what chances the producer's/writer's have thrown away to make QOS or Skyfall truly great masterpieces...thank God back in 1987-1989 they still knew better.
    I think SF is genuinely funny in quite a few places. Much funnier than a lot of the humour in the Dalton films.

I've never been a big fan of the last 60 seconds of the PTS in TLD for example. It's dated and unconvincing.

Dalton could be good with humour, provided it suited him:

"sorry old man, section 26 Paragraph 5, need to know...sure you understand"
    "I know a great restaurant in Karachi...we could just make dinner"

Those are my two favourite lighter moments from Dalton himself.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    chrisisall wrote: »
    A bit of both, and I love it for the fact.

Me too.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think SF is genuinely funny in quite a few places. Much funnier than a lot of the humour in the Dalton films.

I've never been a big fan of the last 60 seconds of the PTS in TLD for example. It's dated and unconvincing.

now you made me cry :((

when he lands on the boat and gets invited by that lovely lady "make that two hours"
    that is one of my favourite scenes of the whole franchise!!
    I think SF is genuinely funny in quite a few places.

The funniest moment in Skyfall is when M is swinging that flashlight like forever so Silva can come and get her.

that was sarcasm, I couldn't help it >:)

The only scene in Skyfall that was written really perfectly (humour-wise) is in the museum when Bond meets Q for the first time. That is an instant classic.

The only scene in Skyfall that was written really perfectly (humour-wise) is in the museum when Bond meets Q for the first time. That is an instant classic.

Agreed. Very funny scene.

As was M's line "Oh I suppose that's completely inconspicuous". Makes me smile every time.

I also like the the whole scene with the psychoanalyst as well as the line "the whole office goes up in smoke and that bloody thing survives"
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I like "open the dooooor".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like "Welcome to Scotland."
    I like "open the dooooor".

Me too.

Also, the look on Kinkade's face when Bond easily takes out the targets in the field is fantastic.

"What did you say you did for a living?"

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And "you jumped up little shit"
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    "He's keen to get home" was a lighter moment that worked.
  • RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »
    "He's keen to get home" was a lighter moment that worked.

Too wooden for me.
    I also felt that SF is genuinely funny at several times, which some people don't seem to agree with. Not sure how controversial this is, but does anyone agree (regardless of the movie's quality) that Connery gave his best Bond performance in TB?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Dalton could be good with humour, provided it suited him:

"sorry old man, section 26 Paragraph 5, need to know...sure you understand"
    "I know a great restaurant in Karachi...we could just make dinner"

Those are my two favourite lighter moments from Dalton himself.

I agree with this.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I think George Lazenby would have been the better choice for Bond in OHMSS had Connery decided to do it young or old.