Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »

This beats both Laz and Dalton in terms of sheer brutality.

And snuff films beat CR for sheer brutality, doesn't make them good though.

Haha! Smythe me, mighty Smythor!
    Naomie Harris is horribly miscast as Moneypenny. It just seems off.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @BAIN123

let's say I'd rather get blown up than fed to a shark, set on fire or get chopped up ;)
    Dalton was off the hook in LTK.
    Not sure if it is controversial, but I always thought it made so much sense that Guy Haines was (presumably) special adviser to Tony Blair at a time (then Gordon Brown when QOS takes place of course).
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I find Bond kind of bratty in LTK. I found myself thinking Dalton was really immature and not cold enough towards Felix's injuries and his wife's death. He went way too far for someone who is supposed to be cold and detached. I never found his revenge reasonable. Kind of ironic as in Goldeneye the opposite happens.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I find Bond kind of bratty in LTK. I found myself thinking Dalton was really immature and not cold enough towards Felix's injuries and his wife's death. He went way too far for someone who is supposed to be cold and detached. I never found his revenge reasonable. Kind of ironic as in Goldeneye the opposite happens.

The setup isn't as good as it could have been either. Della has "sacrificial lamb" written all over her and "end up going fishing on my honeymoon?" Yuck.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    JW Pepper is an awesome character!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Watching Octopussy, I find myself really liking Vijay's performance and character. Wish he had survived.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Watching Octopussy, I find myself really liking Vijay's performance and character. Wish he had survived.

It's not controversial though.
    It is with me, wish they cut him up much sooner.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    I think Roger Moore is a tennis fan. He once suggested John McEnroe as his predecessor.
    Damn, I didn't realise Vijay was so thoroughly disliked.
    Quantum Of Solace (which I just watched yesterday on DVD & today on Blu Ray) is a top ten (or even five) Bond movie.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Quantum Of Solace (which I just watched yesterday on DVD & today on Blu Ray) is a top ten (or even five) Bond movie.

Same quote with one word less and it's true!

Quantum Of Solace (which I just watched yesterday on DVD & today on Blu Ray) is a top ten (or even five) movie.

It is one of my three favourite movies of 2008. As a fast paced action flick it is highly entertaining and the production quality is top-notch.

It is just not a "good" Bond movie. It is almost no Bond movie at all.
    I'm still convinced if you would simply re-name all the characters in the movie and re-cast them but the rest is identical (except the title sequence of course), nobody would even think it is a Bond flick. If you would sell it as a Jason Bourne spin-off people would believe it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I look forward to seeing where I rank QoS when I finish up this Bondathon. I'm convinced it'll land in my Top 5 alongside GE, CR, FYEO, and DN.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing where I rank QoS when I finish up this Bondathon. I'm convinced it'll land in my Top 5 alongside GE, CR, FYEO, and DN.
    Dan was just amazing in it. And it was well directed, no matter what anyone says. No fluff or waste. And Arnold's best score.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,470
    @chrisisall, and that amped up brutality from CR was great. Compare it to Bourne all you want, but Bond has followed in the footsteps of other popular films/series many times before, and this isn't any different. People defend SF until the end of time, but what about the villain eerily reminiscent of a villain from 'The Dark Knight,' or a finale also eerily reminiscent of a 'Home Alone' movie? Same thing. And no, I'm not taking another opportunity to bash SF, I'm just comparing them because QoS seems to get a lot of flak for copying the Bourne series when SF is just as guilty of doing the same thing, yet it's critically hailed. Movies take and borrow from other movies, and whether they're also popular Hollywood entries at the time or not is irrelevant, because it still happens.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like Bond turning Japanese, and I'm fine with the Blofeld in drag scene.
    And you went mad when-?
    :))
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Daniel Craig > Sean Connery

There. I said it. Let the criticism begin. LOL
  • Get rid of Jaws and add the knife throwing twins from OP as henchmen and Moonraker will shoot up most peoples rankings
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    TripAces wrote: »
    Daniel Craig > Sean Connery

There. I said it. Let the criticism begin. LOL

Last time I checked Sean Connery was much taller than Daniel Craig
    :))
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @chrisisall, and that amped up brutality from CR was great. Compare it to Bourne all you want, but Bond has followed in the footsteps of other popular films/series many times before, and this isn't any different. People defend SF until the end of time, but what about the villain eerily reminiscent of a villain from 'The Dark Knight,' or a finale also eerily reminiscent of a 'Home Alone' movie? Same thing. And no, I'm not taking another opportunity to bash SF, I'm just comparing them because QoS seems to get a lot of flak for copying the Bourne series when SF is just as guilty of doing the same thing, yet it's critically hailed. Movies take and borrow from other movies, and whether they're also popular Hollywood entries at the time or not is irrelevant, because it still happens.

I will add my controversial opinion here: QOS does not borrow much from Bourne, if anything at all.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like Bond turning Japanese, and I'm fine with the Blofeld in drag scene.

Obviously by 21st century standards the idea is ludicrous and lacks taste. I can see how in 1967 it might have been more acceptable, BUT even then, the whole plot doesn't event work. THe very first night after his 'transformation' there is an assassination attempt on his life. Good grief what a waste!

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Let's just say it looks pretty silly when you look at it today.
    The whole Bond faking his death thing in YOLT did not work at all: it had close to zero impact on the plot. Turning Japanese in the novel was a great idea, very poorly executed in the movie.
    The idea may not amount to a lot in the film, but we do at least get an impressive showdown in one of the greatest sets in the series.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Chang wrote: »
    Naomie Harris is horribly miscast as Moneypenny. It just seems off.

Agreed. Harris wasn't sexy in Skyfall and you can tell Craig was faking the attraction. She looks better in Spectre though.
    Another QUANTUM minority viewpoint. In addition to basically liking MOST of it (which is more than I can say for any of the others post-LTK), I have no problem whatsoever with Mathis being put in the dumpster. It just seemed efficient to me, and we're talking about a DEAD BODY here. In pop culture terms, I guess this is a klingon perspective, that we're talking about an empty husk, but I've just always felt that way, even as a child in the late 60s. I saw my uncle's dead body at a funeral when I was 9, and there was a total 'he ain't there' going off when I was in the room.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    They could have dumped Mathis' body in the desert for vultures to eat at his corpse for all I care; my annoyance stems from the fact they killed him off in the first place.
    I prefer Pierce Brosnan's GE performance to his DAD performance.