Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Bold statement. But we'll never know anyhow. Connery is the best Bond but Lazenby did well in OHMSS.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think SF is genuinely funny in quite a few places. Much funnier than a lot of the humour in the Dalton films.

I've never been a big fan of the last 60 seconds of the PTS in TLD for example. It's dated and unconvincing.

now you made me cry :((

when he lands on the boat and gets invited by that lovely lady "make that two hours"
    that is one of my favourite scenes of the whole franchise!!

The best part of that minute is the cool way he flips from the roof of the boat to the deck. The rest is too cheesy (for me).
    I think it's all classic 007 delivered well by Tim.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A bored Connery would have ruined OHMSS, sorry but I have to say it that clearly.
  • RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »

It's classic 'Moore' 007. It's one of the hangovers that they couldn't quite shake. It's a brilliant PTS, but that is a moment written for the icon, rather than Dalts. It's the same reason some of the quips fall flat in SF. They're crafted with the wider icon in mind, rather than the actor and his specific take.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Connery was not bored in DN, FRWL, GF or TB.....he played a pretty decent Flemingesque Bond. Watch him when Jill Masterson dies, he holds back the emotion. If he had appeared in OHMSS he would have been paid a fee he was happy with, thus he wouldn't have been bored. He would have been just fine in OHMSS. Lazenby did well, but the fake English accent (holding back the aussie) was his biggest weakness. Without Hunt, Lazenby may have 'bombed'?
    A bored Connery would have ruined OHMSS, sorry but I have to say it that clearly.

For some reason it's never say too well with me. The action up until then is excellent but it feels too contrived.

Calvin Dyson made a good point in his video, why would Dalton's Bond do that after knowing his colleagues had been MURDERED.
    *sorry, quoted the wrong comment.
    RC7 wrote: »

It's classic 'Moore' 007. It's one of the hangovers that they couldn't quite shake. It's a brilliant PTS, but that is a moment written for the icon, rather than Dalts. It's the same reason some of the quips fall flat in SF. They're crafted with the wider icon in mind, rather than the actor and his specific take.

I don't agree re TLD, it's just Bond and not too cheese. I do agree with the SF comment though....Mendes trying to 'force feed' the iconography.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Connery would have been a terrible choice for OHMSS. Bear in mind we are talking about Connery between YOLT and DAF- he is no longer at his heights like he was from DN to GF. The flame had started to go out with YOLT (arguably even earlier with TB).
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

I don't agree re TLD, it's just Bond and not too cheese. I do agree with the SF comment though....Mendes trying to 'force feed' the iconography.

Perhaps you're right. Thinking about it, it's the girl on the boat that totally destroys the scene, although Dalts seems awkward to me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Connery would have been a terrible choice for OHMSS. Bear in mind we are talking about Connery between YOLT and DAF- he is no longer at his heights like he was from DN to GF. The flame had started to go out with YOLT (arguably even earlier with TB).

But OHMSS was the sort of film Connery was longing to get back to making. He was tired of the far fetched stuff having a larger presence in the movies. It's somewhat ironic because when he does come back, he makes tge mother of all cheesy Bond movies where he out Moores Roger Moore in the silly hijinx department. But I suppose when his sole reason for coming back was purely for financial reasons it didn't matter how the film was going to turn out.
    When I talk about Connery post YOLT, I don't just mean acting wise, but also in terms of fitness and form. I just can't see him doing a lot of the things that Laz does so well.

Diana Rigg is a highlight of the film, and if you were to have Connery, I can't see there being Rigg. Lazenby's youth and vitality is one of the reasons as to why he has such onscreen chemistry with Rigg, even despite his relative lack of experience in the acting department.

Can you imagine post-YOLT Connery in place of Laz in the wedding scenes, the skiing scenes, the proposal scene in the barn, the PTS, the bobsled scene etc etc...

We were lucky to have Laz for OHMSS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not to mention the fight scenes. Lazyboy was the most brutal Bond ever.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189

I'd say that honour now belongs to Daniel Craig. Laz was tough but Dan is the first Bond since Connery that we've seen slowly choke someone to death with only his hands.

I'd say that honour now belongs to Daniel Craig. Laz was tough but Dan is the first Bond since Connery that we've seen slowly choke someone to death with only his hands.

Don't buy it.

The most brutal Bond was Dalton. He set Sanchez on fire! He fed Killifer to the shark!
    He let Dario get chopped up.

Don't buy it.

The most brutal Bond was Dalton. He set Sanchez on fire! He fed Killifer to the shark!

Craig smirked when he saw someone get blown up right infront of him. He didn't even turn his head ;)
    @BAIN123

let's say I'd rather get blown up than fed to a shark, set on fire or get chopped up ;)
    @BAIN123

let's say I'd rather get blown up than fed to a shark, set on fire or get chopped up ;)

It can all be arranged.
    @BAIN123

It can all be arranged.

wishful thinking matey.

• RC7RC7

Don't buy it.

I agree with you on 'setting fire to Sanchez'. Truly grisly.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Maybe Brosnan was the toughest Bond? He killed two women, allowed TWO villains to be chopped up blades and electrocuted one of them beforehand :p
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    True, I was thinking about all the grisly stuff Brosnan did to his enemies, but it was played out mosty with humour or black humour.
    I absolutely love the deaths of Stamper and Carver!
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,080
    A brutal Lazenby moment that I think a lot of people overlook is when he is strangling one of Blofeld's goons with his ski. Then he proceeds to through him of the ridge. But the moment when the goon is struggling to throw Bond off is quite uncomfortable to watch.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I think George Lazenby would have been the better choice for Bond in OHMSS had Connery decided to do it young or old.
    As far as I'm concerned, OHMSS is perfect the way it is. Thus, I agree with this statement.
    A brutal Lazenby moment that I think a lot of people overlook is when he is strangling one of Blofeld's goons with his ski. Then he proceeds to through him of the ridge. But the moment when the goon is struggling to throw Bond off is quite uncomfortable to watch.

Terrible and yet so fantastic a scene.

This beats both Laz and Dalton in terms of sheer brutality.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I thought stabbing Slate in the neck with a pair of scissors (he sunk it in quite deep) and then in his leg only for Bond to hold Slate's wrist and feel his pulse, waiting for him to die was wonderfully grim.
    Let us just say Craig is the best since Lazenby. One is fish, the other is candy. I love both.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

This beats both Laz and Dalton in terms of sheer brutality.

And snuff films beat CR for sheer brutality, doesn't make them good though.