Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    w2bond wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I absolutely disagree that M should have been recast in CR. As I have brought up before, the one consistent piece of continuity throughout the EON Bond films has not been through plot or logic. It has been that at least one actor has continued playing the same character in the following film. I would have hate dot see that link broken. CR is obviously in a different universe than DAD, no harm done. But it carries on the one great tradition.

Mostly true, except LTK to GE? Joe Don Baker is the closest link

Desmond Llewelyn ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited July 2015 Posts: 5,080
    I think besides From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, maybe Thunderball (not amazing imo), OHMSS, and TSWLM, Maurice Binder's titles were garbage.

So that leaves you with just Thunderball, OHMSS and TSWLM, as the titles for Goldfinger and FRWL were by Robert Brownjohn.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 832
    Sark wrote: »
    I definitely don't see Goldfinger having the stomach to watch a man get fed to sharks or torture a girl.

But the stomach to use gas and a nuclear bomb

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I definitely don't see Goldfinger having the stomach to watch a man get fed to sharks or torture a girl.

Indeed, a potential mass murderer.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Lazenby made a perfect Bond film.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

There is a certain clinical distance to both.
    Dench should have been replaced for CR with a more traditional casting choice.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2015 Posts: 5,962
    I think besides From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, maybe Thunderball (not amazing imo), OHMSS, and TSWLM, Maurice Binder's titles were garbage.

So that leaves you with just Thunderball, OHMSS and TSWLM, as the titles for Goldfinger and FRWL were by Robert Brownjohn.

Lest you forget...the gunbarrel!

I also think DAF and LALD are pretty great title sequences. But TSWLM is his best IMHO; something about the song and the languid acrobatics mesh perfectly.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Denise Richards>Michelle Yaoh.
    Do you know the term 'bitch slap'?

:))
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    echo wrote: »

Lest you forget...the gunbarrel!

I also think DAF and LALD are pretty great title sequences. But TSWLM is his best IMHO; something about the song and the languid acrobatics mesh perfectly.

TSWLM is the only time I remember the audience laughing along with all of the site gags during the Title Sequence. Like when Riger pushes the row of naked female soldiers down. It was well and loudly appreciated.

That makes me even less appreciative of Maurice. LALD titles were just stupid, it felt like filming those background elements was awkward. FRWL never felt awkward like most Maurice titles do.
    I think all Maurice Binders titles are iconic and capture the mood of the film. LALD captured the voodoo element perfectly and added to the song.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love Binder's titles but I'm even more of a fan of Kleinman's. I am very much impressed with his GE titles. They beautifully follow the rhythm of the music, they are full of symbolism and somehow they seem to be telling us, "what 6 year gap? Bond never went away!"

Then we have CR. All I can say is wow!

That strange psychedelic thing they put us through in QOS is perhaps my least favourite of all the OT sequences, including CR 67!
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 1,310
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I love Binder's titles but I'm even more of a fan of Kleinman's. I am very much impressed with his GE titles. They beautifully follow the rhythm of the music, they are full of symbolism and somehow they seem to be telling us, "what 6 year gap? Bond never went away!"

Then we have CR. All I can say is wow!

That strange psychedelic thing they put us through in QOS is perhaps my least favourite of all the OT sequences, including CR 67!
    Danny Kleinman's titles are great. They pay homage to Binder but at the same time feel very fresh and new. Even at 20 years old, GoldenEye's title sequence still holds up.

His absence from Quantum of Solace was painfully felt.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I like the QOS Title Sequence, but I know I'm almost alone in that.

Yes. Yes you are!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I believe that by removing JW, Goodnight and Hip from the script, TMWTGG could be in the top 5 all time bond films. These three characters don't service the story accept to fill the comic relief, sex, and ally roles. It is way to formulaic and the story should have focused on Bond, Scaramanga and Anders. Two rivals and the women caught between them just hoping to get out alive, doomed. Her death should have been Bonds motivation to fly to the island at the end, not the stupid solex.
  • RC7RC7

Yes. Yes you are!

He's certainly not. It gets a lot of irrational hate, but I find it to be a great bit of work that serves the aesthetic of the film perfectly. The song and titles work beautifully together. Totally underrated.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    As much as I love Barry's "Capsule in Space", I prefer "Night at the Opera".
    I don't mind it, at least they made something fresh. The theme song, on the other hand, I can't listen to it without earmuffs.
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes. Yes you are!

He's certainly not. It gets a lot of irrational hate, but I find it to be a great bit of work that serves the aesthetic of the film perfectly. The song and titles work beautifully together. Totally underrated.

I hate the song. Not as much as DAD but it's down there. Without the song the title sequence however I like.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes. Yes you are!

I am also a member of that elitist club. I wouldn t mind MK12 returning in the future.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I think a lot of the hate stems from the name of the team responsible.

MK12 sounds very cold and clinical.
    Has anyone played BloodStone? They used the MK12 style quite directly for that game.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    MK12 sounds like an automatic rifle. I found the main titles to QoS very bland. Though Craig looks good.
    royale65 wrote: »
    MK12 sounds like an automatic rifle.

Didn't Samuel L. Jackson once describe the MK-12 as "the very best there is?" ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I like the QOS main titles as well. Not as good as Kleinman's work, but it suits the film just fine. I even like Another Way to Die. Maybe not a good Bond song, but certainly catchy.
    I like the title sequence, but hate the song
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I quite like 'All Time High' when it's incorporated in the score, but the credit sequence version of it awful IMO.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 832
    I really don't understand why people dislike all time high and the living daylights. I think that they are some of the best title songs, and also love how both are incorporated in their film's scores.
    Both decent songs and fit well into the scores.
    Is that even controversial? I don't even know tbh.
    @Birdleson

I rather like the NSNA title song to be honest, but not the singer. The voice is terrible. Other than that though, the composition of the song reminds me of a small era in the 80s when these pop ballads were in vogue. Maybe a stronger voice could have gotten us to like the song a lot better. ;-) Call me crazy.