Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I thought it would be the only one to complain about "anyone" being used twice in that scene. I'm wondering if it'll be altered or edited in the final film, perhaps more will be said and it was cut to punch it up for the trailer's length.

I hope you're right. Very odd writing. No one actually speaks like that, at least not in the movies!

And Harris looks so self conscious
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The funny thing is, they reshot that whole scene and bizarrely didn't think to make the wording flow better. I like Harris and although I think it's too early to assess her as MP because the closest thing to her actually being MP was at the end of SF; I do have qualms with the way Mendes directs her as if she's delivering her lines like she's reading from a script.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The funny thing is, they reshot that whole scene and bizarrely didn't think to make the wording flow better. I like Harris and although I think it's too early to assess her as MP because the closest thing to her actually being MP was at the end of SF; I do have qualms with the way Mendes directs her as if she's delivering her lines like she's reading from a script.

It's really odd direction. It's Bond and MP, presumably very well acquainted colleagues by now, yet the direction and delivery of the dialogue is unnecessarily flowery. It could've probably done with someone like Fiennes delivering it very 'matter of fact', rather than the overt 'oooooooh he's got a secret' tone of the trailer. I say this firmly in the knowledge it's likely out of context and could work perfectly in the moment. I still find it very 'theatrical', as I did some of SF. The Severine-Bond scene is perfect tonally, with the overt theatricality of it, but Bond to MP in his house, I'm not so sure.
    Yes, it's all rather strange. I sincerely hope things play out better contextually because honestly, these sorts of oddities are quite obvious and would expect someone as acclaimed as Mendes to identify such things and make the necessary changes or better yet not use such takes to make up scenes.
  • I really like Wishaw as Q, and I say that as someone who thought the new Q sounded like a really crap idea (young hacker type). He's great, he's funny, has made the role his own while keeping the spirit of the character and has really good chemistry with Craig. The only issue with the character, imo, was that there was too much hacking and not enough gadgets, which was hardly Wishaw's fault. And they've fixed that with SPECTRE now anyway.

I really don't like Naomi Harris as Moneypenny, which is a shame because I was really excited to see her. I think she's stunning and a good actress, I fully expected her to be the better Bond girl in SF (since Berenice hadn't done much acting before at all) and while I didn't like the field agent background I was still happy with her being MP once I found out that's who the character was. Then I watched SF and I was really disappointed, I thought she was wooden and her chemistry with Craig was non existent. Meanwhile Berenice did a great job, stealing every scene she was in, and if she had a bit more screentime Severine would probably be my favourite Bond girl.

Honestly I preferred Samantha Bond as Moneypenny. Yeah Naomi is a lot fitter but MP doesn't necessarily need to be fit imo (Maxwell and Bliss weren't hot either so I don't get why fans complain about Bond not being attractive enough for the role), what's important is her chemistry with Bond, without that the whole character doesn't work. I think with Craig and Harris it just seems forced, and while I think Naomi was wooden in SF I don't think this is the fault of either of the actors, chemistry is something you either have or you don't. They don't have it imo which is why I don't think Harris as MP works. But Brosnan and Bond had loads of chemistry, it always felt natural even with the dodgy lines they were sometimes given, which is why I think Samantha Bond was a much better Moneypenny than Naomi Harris so far.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    One of many flaws in SF. They just wasted the Severine character. She was completely useless and just a means to get the "story" forward.
    Severine had the potential to be one of the great Bond girls.
    Sam Bond and Brosnan was one of the best bits of casting of his era. They definitely had chemistry.

I think Lois Maxwell and Samantha Bond were both pretty attractive women in their prime. They're not 'hot' like some of the main Bond girls but perhaps more attrarctive in some respects.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    Sam Bond and Brosnan was one of the best bits of casting of his era. They definitely had chemistry.

Damn right. I thought they were superb together, particularly in GE and TND.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    My controversial opinion

i enjoyedbPierce's Bond as much as Sean's.
    Szonana wrote: »
    My controversial opinion

i think Pierce Brosnan was as Good as Sean Connery playing James Bond

That's not controversial, just silly.
    Well let's have some supporting evidence then. The statement on its own doesn't count for much.
    I'm not really a big fan of Raoul Silva. He's the least interesting villain of the Craig era.
    Not only is he the least interesting but the most ridiculous too. A caricature of The Joker.
    If only he had been eerily menacing and hauntingly creepy but after his great introductory speech he just sort of fizzled out. Dominic Greene and LeChiffre we're more engaging characters.
    I agree about Silva.

My controversial view is that Mathieu Amelric is actually really rather good as Dominic Greene. I like his understated take on the traditional Bond psychopath. The more you watch QoS the more you realise it's quite a traditional Bond movie in many respects. And it has a really good cast. I still find it very odd how much criticism it gets. Given the production problems, it's really very good and the villain is one of the best parts.
    It's even more interesting that Greene has the best main villain showdown with Craig's Bond. Had the movie been edited better (which is my hihhest issue with the film) QoS would rate exponentially higher.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Amelric is a wonderful actor. I thought he handled the role of a greedy psychopath quite well, especially with his eyes.
    Yes. I remember being really pleased when I heard he'd been cast. I thought he was a great choice. I thoroughly enjoyed QOS when I saw it in the cinema. The first time is had that experience with a Bond movie since TLD and to a lesser extent TND.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Amelric is a wonderful actor. I thought he handled the role of a greedy psychopath quite well, especially with his eyes.
    I enjoyed his performance more than most as a villain.
    Imagine what QOS would have been like if Forster & Craig hadn't had to burn so much energy writing the damn thing...

@-)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    My controversial opinion

Maybe but thats my opinion. Never said it was a fact

Actually yeah I also have the opinion that Dominic Greene is one of the series' most underrated villains. Still not one of the best, but far from the worst.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,690
    My controversial opinion
    I'll say that I enjoyed Pierce's Bond as much as Sean's.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    chrisisall wrote: »
    My controversial opinion
    I'll say that I enjoyed Pierce's Bond as much as Sean's.

I guess its the right way.
    Thanks

doubleoego wrote: »
    It's even more interesting that Greene has the best main villain showdown with Craig's Bond. Had the movie been edited better (which is my hihhest issue with the film) QoS would rate exponentially higher.

I fully agree, the showdown is great and the way Bond disposes of Greene at the end is brutal and satisfying.
    I agree about Silva.

My controversial view is that Mathieu Amelric is actually really rather good as Dominic Greene. I like his understated take on the traditional Bond psychopath. The more you watch QoS the more you realise it's quite a traditional Bond movie in many respects. And it has a really good cast. I still find it very odd how much criticism it gets. Given the production problems, it's really very good and the villain is one of the best parts.

I agree about Amalric and QOS cast.

My controversial opinion: however inept, Elvis has his use as a character.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I've always found Green a bit underwhelming. For one thing he feels like he's one character amongst several other potential adversaries for Bond (on the good side or bad side: Mr White, that General, Felix, M and Beam).

He also seems a bit inconsequential in relation to the wider organisation of Quantum.

Almaric is good with the stuff they have him, but I would have rather seen a bit more of Mr White and perhaps have him as a wiesely number 2 alongside.
    No way. Amalric deserved more screen time if anything!

I like QoS but there are many ways in which it could have been improved.

It's a great looking movie as well. I personally find it visually more satisfying than SF.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    It looks good but I don't think it compares to Royale or SF. They are probably two of the best looking films since MR.
    I'd agree that Mr White had to be featured more... but so should have Greene.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    QoS is getting some love...perhaps it's taken seven years for fans to start to appreciate it. After seeing WWZ, I went back to QoS and enjoyed it more. I don't mind the film's pacing...it is what it is. The only moment that doesn't work for me is the scene between Bond and Camille in the plane: the dialogue was good but cut way too short. I thought there was an opportunity there for the two characters to bare their souls a little more and connect, on some level. Instead, as soon as their conversation is getting interesting....bam bam bam, here come the fighter jets. Ugh.