Michael Fassbender plays it cool with 007 rumors

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited May 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
With Bond 23 slated for a 2012 release, [tabloid] rumors are starting to swirl over who might step into 007's shoes once Daniel Craig departs. One name that keeps coming up is Michael Fassbender, reports <a href="http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/05/25/michael-fassbender-plays-it-cool-with-007-rumors/"; target="_blank">BBC America</a>.

The Irish-bred actor, who we'll see as Magneto in this summer's X-Men: First Class, hasn't been asked... that we know of. However, his First Class director Matthew Vaughn is apparently all for it. But Fassbender isn't entertaining the idea just yet, as he has plenty of other films in the pipeline, including this year's Haywire and A Dangerous Method. And besides, he has a massive blockbuster coming up in just over a week.

"Listen – I grew up with James Bond, it would be an amazing experience," the former Hex star told The Metro. "At the moment, as I say, those kind of things... I try sort of and deal with one film at a time."

He added: "I think Daniel [Craig] is doing a fantastic job, he would have been my choice for Bond when they were looking for a new one. I think he's a brilliant actor, I saw him in Love Is The Devil many years ago and I was blown away by him. So, you know, we'll see – I'll take everything as it comes."

Comments

Fassbender is a moron. How could DC have been anybody's "choice" for Bond other than Babs because she went goo gah over his naked bum in Layer Cake and then decided she would dress him up as mini-hulk in baby-blue beach-speedo.
    DC has done an admirable job as Bond despite having to cough out pithy Haggfish dialogue for two films. He's proved himself in the role so good for him, but that's real rich that he would have been Fassbender's "choice" . Right.

Anyway Magneto boy. I'm glad that you grew up with James Bond. Didn't virtually every breathing humanoid under age 65. Join the club.
    But no thanks, unless you want to get naked in X-Men and maybe Babs will like your bum too.
    Since he appeared onscreen as a young Erroll Flynn in Inglorious Basterds and completed that first impression by a first class performance, I don´t see how his name could not come up in the Bond context.
    I´m curious wether his role in X-Men is really as Bond-like as Vaughn said it would be.

Anyway, it would make much sense to have Craig do five Bond films in all, and by then Fassbender will be much too famous to be cast as Bond or to let himself be cast as Bond.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 14
    An enthusiastic YES! To Fassy being a potential Bond. I've learned to accept Craig but, I'd trade-up in a heartbeat after giving Craig one last entry.
    I wouldn't mind this man as a possible next 007.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    No thanks. I think there's little to no chance that Bond #23 won't be a Craig film, so give hin his 3rd and final Bond and throw out the casting net again, leaving Fassbenders name off the list.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    I do not understand why anybody is talking about who will be Bond after Craig - there is nothing to indicate that Craig is even close to finishing his era.
    I do not understand why anybody is talking about who will be Bond after Craig - there is nothing to indicate that Craig is even close to finishing his era.
    I sure hope Craig will continue for some more films.
    But since Vaughn is no idiot he relatively early claimed that First Class will have some resemblance to Bond films, thus making the film a topic for us nerds ;-) .
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I'm intrigued to see X-Men: First Class for three reasons - Vaughn's an exciting filmmaker and I want to check out both how Bondian it and Fassbender is (the clips and images I've seen thus far suggests both it and he is).

We shall see...
    From what I have been reading about X-Men, Fassbender steals the film and the number of references to Bond is substantial.

Thought the same when I saw Inglorious Bastards.
    I don't want Craig to leave the role anytime soon, as I think he's got several more Bond films left in him, but if he were to leave the role prematurely for whatever reason, Fassbender would be my top choice to replace him.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Fassbender is a moron. How could DC have been anybody's "choice" for Bond other than Babs because she went goo gah over his naked bum in Layer Cake and then decided she would dress him up as mini-hulk in baby-blue beach-speedo.
    DC has done an admirable job as Bond despite having to cough out pithy Haggfish dialogue for two films. He's proved himself in the role so good for him, but that's real rich that he would have been Fassbender's "choice" . Right.

Anyway Magneto boy. I'm glad that you grew up with James Bond. Didn't virtually every breathing humanoid under age 65. Join the club.
    But no thanks, unless you want to get naked in X-Men and maybe Babs will like your bum too.
    Your entitled to your opinion but Fassbender is no moron, just because he thought Craig would be a good Bond, as soon as I saw Craig frame the door with the luger in LC I knew he was my choice for the next Bond and I started to tell all my friends who just looked at me gone mad. Then it was only a month or so later that I heard Johnathan Ross remark to Rhys Ifan ( who appeared with DC in Enduring Love) that Craig was been considered for Bond, so BB wasn't the only one who saw him as Bond and I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed this.

So I don't find it hard to believe that another actor would think this, so Wrong!

Do you happen to know anything about Fassbender and his diverse C.V he's been making wiser choices than Craig outside of Bond, it's only recently DC's choices looked more interesting, Fass has been building up one hell of a filmography with few duds, so he's far from a Moron.
    I too saw the Bond parallels with Craig' s character in Layer Cake. You could hardly miss them. Craig was practically auditioning for the part, whether he intended it that way or not. The character had obvious Bond traits.
    However none of this changes the fact that Craig didn't and still doesn't have the right look, although there is no doubt Babs sure liked his look. She hasn't exactly been coy about her girly giddiness for Craig's bod.
    Fassbender as Bond is moot. He's too old. Craig got the job. The window is closed.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As much as i would like to see him as the next Bond won't likely happen, as far as looking the part where Craig is concerned this an argument that will go on for infinitum and will no doubt include DC being a potato head, not like Flemming's Bond etc etc blah blah!

Many believe he's right but I can't get so precious about the literary character as they are 2 different entities, no QOS did Bond no favours and I'm cautious about Mendes Bond, I certainly won't go in expecting the 2nd coming like I foolishly did with the last one. The Millenium Trilogy (Tattoo) has me more excited about Craig at this moment especially with that cracking teaser trailer doing the rounds that's polarising people.
    The following is part of the Hollywoodreporter review of the new X-men film:

"The cast is almost absurdly easy on the eyes and is most powerful at the top, thanks to the intense Fassbender, who will now need no audition if Daniel Craig decides to give up Bond after another picture or two."

You can read the full review here http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/x-men-first-class-movie-192965

A lot of Bond influence it seems.
    intense Fassbender, who will now need no audition if Daniel Craig decides to give up Bond after another picture or two."
    That´s nice but doesn´t make sense. After another picture or two Fassbender will be too established to become Bond. A pity in way, or would be if Craig wasn´t so good.

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I saw him in Prometheus. He's cool. Would make a good Bond but lets wait until Craig is done.
    Jazz007 wrote:

Well he's not getting any younger, and he's smart enough too stop when he's too old (which is 50-55 for every Bond actor imo). I think he'll do Bond 23 and maybe Bond 24, depends how fast they can get the film out.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I really think he'll stick around longer than we expect, and with the shape he's in, why not?
  • love assbender to be bond but then we have a great actor who is bond. wrong time and wrong actor to come up against.

then again for the fanboys I'd love assbender to do a Thunderball remake with Vaughn, now that would make a 'stiffness coming on'.
    Stroke it baby stroke it for assbender.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I don't get it. I just don't see this actor as Bond. So many people seem to get so excited about him possibly being Bond, but by the time DC vacates the position, surely he'd be too old for a three/four picture deal? Maybe see this X-Men film and see if that changes my opinion. Definitely didn't get the Bond vibe watching him in Prometheus.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    No thanks. I think there's little to no chance that Bond #23 won't be a Craig film, so give hin his 3rd and final Bond and throw out the casting net again, leaving Fassbenders name off the list.

Errr... Never a truer word said... seeing they've just wrapped that one!

Any way, if you meant give DC his 4th and final film (Bond 24), then I think you're probably right. Although I wouldn't rule out DC doing 5 if he wants it and EON are happy for him to carry on. If that happens, Fassbender will be too old.

• Getafix wrote:

Errr... Never a truer word said... seeing they've just wrapped that one!

Any way, if you meant give DC his 4th and final film (Bond 24), then I think you're probably right. Although I wouldn't rule out DC doing 5 if he wants it and EON are happy for him to carry on. If that happens, Fassbender will be too old.

You may wanna check the date on @MajorDSmythe's post there.....

Ah... yes. I see now.

Only three outings for DC? Bit harsh. The best Bond since 1989 deserves a fair crack at the whip. I'd be disappointed if he didn't do 4 or 5. He's rapidly ageing though and arguably not that well, so Babs may be looking for new hot totty before long.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Ah... yes. I see now.

Only three outings for DC? Bit harsh. The best Bond since 1989 deserves a fair crack at the whip. I'd be disappointed if he didn't do 4 or 5. He's rapidly ageing though and arguably not that well, so Babs may be looking for new hot totty before long.

It's always hard to predict how someone will age...I think that Craig may have another two films in him but who knows? Who could have guessed how much Connery would have aged when he took the role - he looked great from DN to TB but then look at the difference in just the 6 years from TB to DAF!

Need to see a few more movies with him in to offer an opinion? But he certainly has a presence about him.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 7,653
    At the end of the day it is DC that decides if Bond24 will have him in it. And I think a lot depends on how Bond23 will be received and how the general reaction towards him will be in the critism.
    If Bond23 will do less business than QoB the studio (& perhaps EON) will most certainly look at the possibilities for another DC vehicle. These movies cost 150 milion plus so should be seen as business at the end of the day.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    @SaintMark

Skyfall is Bond 23, and QoS is Bond 22. Just so you know ;)
    MrBond wrote:
    @SaintMark

Skyfall is Bond 23, and QoS is Bond 22. Just so you know ;)

Thanks I corrected my oversight.

I can definetly see him doing Bond 24, but I think it depends on how well he's aged (hasn't aged that well imo), and how fast they can get for the films out for Bond 25.