Michael Fassbender plays it cool with 007 rumors

Comments

I could see Hardy as Bond, and since he said he'd like to do it not too long ago I don't think he'll be too big.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I could see Hardy as Bond, and since he said he'd like to do it not too long ago I don't think he'll be too big.

But, there's a difference between him wanting to do it and him being too big by then. If Craig has another two or three films in him, I see Hardy as being nothing but huge after this, considering 'The Dark Knight Rises' is his next-released film, and we all know how that will be.
    Creasy47 wrote:

But, there's a difference between him wanting to do it and him being too big by then. If Craig has another two or three films in him, I see Hardy as being nothing but huge after this, considering 'The Dark Knight Rises' is his next-released film, and we all know how that will be.

That's true (what you said about TDKR). But if he wants to do it, and still wants to once Craig leaves, I don't see why he can't do it.
    Because there's still the difference in what he wants and what they want. I want to be James Bond, but an American like myself isn't going to have that kind of luxury. They wouldn't even have to pay me for the role!
  • He'll certainly have the biggest Ego of all the pretenders. :-*
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Seriously when have you seen an actor at the stage of their career like Fassbender or Hardy that became Bond? the answer is never!

EON will continue to cast relative unknowns in the role, RM & PB had the most recognisable profiles before Bond but they weren't critically acclaimed near mega stars, Fass & Hardy are fast approaching that now, Fassbender will not be Bond and neither will Hardy and some rather naff cut trailers by someone with a serious wet dream is going to change that.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Because there's still the difference in what he wants and what they want. I want to be James Bond, but an American like myself isn't going to have that kind of luxury. They wouldn't even have to pay me for the role!

I don't see why they wouldn't want him though.
    Because he will be too big by then. EON wants unknowns, and neither he nor Fassbender will be one by that point. Fassbender is already pretty big, and Hardy will definitely be known worldwide come next month, if he already isn't.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Because he will be too big by then. EON wants unknowns, and neither he nor Fassbender will be one by that point. Fassbender is already pretty big, and Hardy will definitely be known worldwide come next month, if he already isn't.

I don't think they always want unknowns. Moore and Brosnan were pretty well known by the time they became Bond, and Dalton had some fame because of Flash Gordan. And we have bigger actors in Bond films recently, look at Bardem (but not as Bond I suppose).

To be honest I'm just making excuses because I really, really want to see Hardy in a Bond film.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Seriously when have you seen an actor at the stage of their career like Fassbender or Hardy that became Bond? the answer is never!
    This time it might take one of those guys to follow someone as huge & successfully received as Daniel Craig has been. neither has headlined a film yet but if they do and do so frequently then yes, I agree it’s less likely. But if anyone looks like the Hoagy Carmichael Bond it must be The Fass!

@grunther, both of them have headlined films before:

Fassbender in 'Hunger' and 'Shame.'
    Hardy in 'Bronson.'
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote:

I don't think they always want unknowns. Moore and Brosnan were pretty well known by the time they became Bond, and Dalton had some fame because of Flash Gordan. And we have bigger actors in Bond films recently, look at Bardem (but not as Bond I suppose).

To be honest I'm just making excuses because I really, really want to see Hardy in a Bond film.

Seriously you are comparing Flash Gordon to blockbusters like First Class & Prometheus?When was Moore or Pierce ever connected to talk of Oscar Nomination? Fassbender & Hardy are in a completely different class to Rog or Brozzer.

Neither will want the job, until Tattoo it didn't actually give Dan the roles he deserved just a handful of misfires, both have done much better than him outside of Bond, why would they want to shackle themselves with the role?

The next Bond will be an unknown, that's the way EON likes it, they'll never stick a mega star in the role, look at Nicholson in Batman, he's never the Joker he's just Jack with make up, the reason why Ledger made his take on the character seem utterly redundant. By the time Craig is done these two will be associated with roles they'll likely have reprised, Bond needs an actor who has no baggage or history with other characters.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Shardlake wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Seriously you are comparing Flash Gordon to blockbusters like First Class & Prometheus?When was Moore or Pierce ever connected to talk of Oscar Nomination? Fassbender & Hardy are in a completely different class to Rog or Brozzer.

Neither will want the job, until Tattoo it didn't actually give Dan the roles he deserved just a handful of misfires, both have done much better than him outside of Bond, why would they want to shackle themselves with the role?

The next Bond will be an unknown, that's the way EON likes it, they'll never stick a mega star in the role, look at Nicholson in Batman, he's never the Joker he's just Jack with make up, the reason why Ledger made his take on the character seem utterly redundant. By the time Craig is done these two will be associated with roles they'll likely have reprised, Bond needs an actor who has no baggage or history with other characters.

I was talking about Tom Hardy, who wasn't in First Class or Prometheus, and there was never talk of an oscar nom for him as far as I know. I hate the idea of Fassbender as Bond.

"Bond needs an actor who has no baggage or history with other characters"

Well The Saint was apparently pretty big, and Remmington Steele seemed popular in America. They're not movie icons but they were popular characters. And Brosnan was wanted as Bond by the public for the while and he eventually got it, who's to say another actor couldn't do the same.

And also, look at the SF cast. It's huge. This makes me think that EON would be more willing to accept a bigger star as Bond.
    While not an Oscar, Hardy has been nominated for 'Bronson,' 'Inception,' 'Warrior,' and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.'
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Damn, if Cavil wasn't doing superman, he'd be my choice to succeed Craig, seeing as how close he came to being cast.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    While not an Oscar, Hardy has been nominated for 'Bronson,' 'Inception,' 'Warrior,' and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.'

But he still said he'd like to do it, and EON have been casting bigger actors in Bond films lately.
    @doubleogo, just like someone else pointed out, Brandon Routh is still an unknown, and he played Superman a few years back. It could happen. He's still an unknown, it seems, even after 'Immortals.'

@thelivingroyale, yes, but not as James Bond. That's the big picture here.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am pretty certain that Hardy is not that well known to Americans.

Anyway, I think for sure Craig will be doing the 4th Bond movie and I hope (and think probably ) a fifth for him. I have a good feeling about this; keep the quality of the films up and he will continue to do a cracking good job.

After that, it may well be someone not on our radar right now. Personally, I do not see Fassbender as Bond. But in 5 to 6 years? We just don't know yet who would be the real contenders.

I think it could be a very well known actor or an unknown (producers have gone with both in the past). But he would be at least in some ways be different from Craig, since the Bond actors do not try copy exactly the last one (style, looks, approach, attitude, etc.).
    Somewhat well known, then yes, that has happened in the past. But, as I've already stated, 'The Dark Knight Rises' - the finale in the Nolan trilogy of Batman films - will be out next month, and he plays the main villain. He will be incredibly well-known worldwide.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,694
    If Craig makes 5 films, that means Bond #7 won't be chosen until 2017/2018 or so. That's 6 years away. To put things in perspective, that would mean Daniel Craig had to be a 'main' candidate in 1999. Name me one person who said in 1999 that Daniel Craig would be Brosnan's successor... so who knows who will be chosen as Bond in 6 years from now ?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @doubleogo, just like someone else pointed out, Brandon Routh is still an unknown, and he played Superman a few years back. It could happen. He's still an unknown, it seems, even after 'Immortals.'

Brandon Routh is still an unknown because superman returns killed his chance at having a career. Superman Returns was a flop film. Man of Steel is going to be a big movie. Zimmer's doing the score, Nolan's producing, excellent cast, when it's all said and done, Cavill will be a household name. Immortals was a good film but it wasn't a film of any significant popculture status for the general audience to really care or know who Cavill is.

If Craig makes 5 films, that means Bond #7 won't be chosen until 2017/2018 or so. That's 6 years away. To put things in perspective, that would mean Daniel Craig had to be a 'main' candidate in 1999. Name me one person who said in 1999 that Daniel Craig would be Brosnan's successor... so who knows who will be chosen as Bond in 6 years from now ?

What are you talking about? Craig wasn't considered until at least 2004/5.

@doubleogo, fair enough, which doesn't alter the fact that 'The Dark Knight Rises' will be as big, if not bigger, than 'Man of Steel,' and if Hardy isn't already considered a household name, he most certainly will be come the end of July.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote:

Use your head. It's a simple post.

If it's obvious for some that Fassbender will be the next Bond, when EON will not chose the next Bond until another 6 years, then it had to be obvious that Craig would be the next Bond in 1999. As it WASN'T THE CASE, and he was not considered until 2004/2005, no-one can know who will be the 'natural' candidate as Bond in 2015/2016.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote:

It's flawed logic. Doesn't add up.

doubleoego wrote:

It's flawed logic. Doesn't add up.

It's simple. EON won't cast the next Bond until another 6 years. Meaning the 'natural' candidates in 2012 won't be the same 'natural' candidates people will discuss in 2015/2016.

My point was : was Daniel Craig a 'natural' candidate in 1999, 6 years before his casting ? NO. So obviously there are actors working in the movie business in 2012 that won't be considered by Bond fans and EON until another 4/5 years, thus all these talks about Hardy and Fassbender are futile, as who knows who will be the main candidates when the decision will take place in 5 years from now.

No-one talked about Craig in 1999, so it's perfectly possible that the next Bond will be an actor no one talked about in 2012.

edited June 2012 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote:

If it's obvious for some that Fassbender will be the next Bond, when EON will not chose the next Bond until another 6 years, then it had to be obvious that Craig would be the next Bond in 1999. As it WASN'T THE CASE, and he was not considered until 2004/2005, no-one can know who will be the 'natural' candidate as Bond in 2015/2016.

No need to be a penis and ironically enough you're the one not using your head because no one is saying it's obvious any specific actor will take over Craig. People are free to submit who they wish to take over, whether it be Fassbender or Hardy. Given the history of the series casting their leading actors, most of us if not all are fully aware that anyone can be cast even at the 11th hour.

@doubleoego - calm down, relax. :))
    I am. The question is are you?
    That's what is great about it: there could be some low budget film out there starring the next James Bond, and we are none the wiser.