Q & Miss Moneypenny have returned

Comments

• edited May 2011 Posts: 2,782
    http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tina-fey1.jpg

I think we should have a rebooted Moneypenny - a bit of an oddball from me but she certainly would add a lightness of touch in the office.

And of course I find her hot in a dirty pervy geeky way.

Edited by mod - Altered the post's wording a little. It was over the line in one place. Please respect the forum's T's & C's when it comes to family-friendly language, forgotmyusername. Thanks.
    May I Mention BOOTH Craig and Dench want them back
    I'd like to see Kelly Reilly as Moneypenny and James Fleet as Major Boothroyd.
    I'm always surprised when I see people put forward young, attractive actresses for the role of Moneypenny. Maybe I'm alone in this but I always saw Moneypenny as a "handsome" woman - not "hot", but certainly not unattractive. But I thought of the flirting that her and Bond do as more of a fun, friendly thing. If you put a hot young actress in the role then there's a subconcious desire amongst the general movie-going public to see them get together.

As for Q, I think that David Tennant has too much of a "star" presence or personality to be Q. Oddly enough, when I first saw Matt Smith playing The Doctor I thought it was a shame that he couldn't have used that characterization for a modern Q. But I might have been put into that frame of mind because I think he physically resembles a young Desmond Llewellyn a bit...
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Steven Fry as Q and I could care less as Moneypenny.
    I'd actually be OK if the characters didn't return to the series. I didn't miss either of them in the last two entries, so I can't say I'd be bothered at all if they left them out of Bond 23 as well.
    I don't think the characters should come back simply for the sake of it. They should come back because they're needed. I also think they should be introduced one at a time rather than in the same film.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 3,494
    Ahhh... ! At first I thought that was a photo of Hugh Laurie.

:-)) =D> Me too Kitty, that was really funny!

I like Romola Garai's look quite a bit. She's pretty without makeup and has the ordinary girl next door, government worker air about her. But she's not "hot" like the two models that have been mentioned of late. If she were chosen to be Moneypenny in the next film, she'd only about 5 years younger than Lois Maxwell when she started filming Dr.No. I could see her and Craig flirting with the other.

For Q, I think they need someone older than Craig. Desmond Llewellyn was 15-16 years older than Connery. I wouldn't find a young, geeky Q too appealing but that's just me. Of course if they did go the "whiz kid" route, it could bring about an opposite dynamic where you could have Craig being skeptical and a little condescending about this younger guy rather than the other way around. But honestly, if they did bring the character back, I'd rather they call him Major Boothroyd of Q Branch and not "Q". To me, "Q" IS Desmond Llewellyn and I think they should build towards how Bond came to call Major Boothroyd "Q" before referring to Llewellyn's replacement with this iconic moniker.

• In relation to bringing back characters, one of the reasons that "Q" and "Moneypenny" were seen as likeable characters was the familiarity they brought, mainly because both were mainly performed by one main actor. Whilst it is not inconceivable that an actor may be happy to play a bit part for years on end, I would have thought it rather unlikely. Currently the only MI6 actor who has provided continuity between Brosnan and Craig has been Judy Dench's M.

In relation to Moneypenny, when we discuss Miss Moneypenny, we're usually thinking of Lois Maxwell's portrayal of that character. The other characters who played the part (Caroline Bliss and Samantha Bond) didn't really bring anything further to the part and I reckon unless one of the main aspects of a future Bond film is to create or define the relationship between Bond and Moneypenny, there really isn't much which can be done to the character (PA to M, likes Bond, but Bond (or M) will control the scene and (if Bond) will usually leave with innuendo). There has been a push over the last two decades with Bond films to make the female characters stronger. The prospect of a character swooning every time 007 pops in to see his boss seems dated. Although previously a lot of the enjoyment of Moneypenny/Bond scenes would be the playful banter between Bond and Moneypenny, nowerdays it could be seen as sexist.

In relation to Q, I have been enjoying the return to a more basic Bond, whereby Bond has few gadgets at his disposal - no explanations of jackets with emergency parachutes built into them, which luckily are called upon 30 minutes further into the film, etc. Again, I would think to bring either Moneypenny or Q back into the story, unless they play a major role in the film and will have equally major parts in future films, I really can't see the need for them, especially as there is too much of a likelihood of their presence detracting from other aspects of plot.
  • I understand where you're coming from Sheriously. I've been fine without them these last two films. But they are a part of the legacy and they are part of what gives Bond movies a unique character. My 10 year old son wants to see the characters come back. He loves Q's gadgets. He also says that they should not call the replacement "Q' right away.

To the mods- he wants to join the board. Is he too young or could I moderate his account?

Thanks,

Sir Henry
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The minimum age used to be 13. Not sure if that still stands. I will refer it on ;-)
    Ideal Q's for me:

Alexander Armstrong

James Callis

Romola Garai would no doubt make a splendid Moneypenny, but I have a feeling she'd hold out for more interesting parts.
    Ideal Q's for me:

Alexander Armstrong

Good call blakester. I could see that working
    I'm always surprised when I see people put forward young, attractive actresses for the role of Moneypenny. Maybe I'm alone in this but I always saw Moneypenny as a "handsome" woman - not "hot", but certainly not unattractive. But I thought of the flirting that her and Bond do as more of a fun, friendly thing. If you put a hot young actress in the role then there's a subconcious desire amongst the general movie-going public to see them get together.

I couldn't agree more. I think this has been the problem with all of the Moneypenny's post Lois Maxwell. They have all been hot-little-young things. Moneypenny always came across as a bit older. There never was any serious sexual tension there. It had that playful quality of Bond simply being charming and flirting with an older woman in a non-sexual way.
  • We need Miss Money-penny and Q James Bond is not the same with out them.
    We need Miss Money-penny and Q James Bond is not the same with out them.
    What you wrote is correct & true. I agree with you but tell some of people in this post.

• I think they should come back. I want to see Gary Oldman as Q.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think they should come back. I want to see Gary Oldman as Q.
    But then you'd say "that's Gary Oldman!", instead of "that's Q!". If Boothroyd returns we need an unknown.
  • I think they should come back. I want to see Gary Oldman as Q.
    But then you'd say "that's Gary Oldman!", instead of "that's Q!". If Boothroyd returns we need an unknown.
    Agreed completely. And these type of "tech op" positions seem to be younger tech-savvy engineers rather than the avuncular "inventor" types we used to see in older films.
    Agreed completely. And these type of "tech op" positions seem to be younger tech-savvy engineers rather than the avuncular "inventor" types we used to see in older films.
    Indeed. Casting someone in their thirties I think is the best idea and either keep them on through the years who recast them with each Bond actor, as the Felix role sometimes is.
    A few casting suggestions from me:

Q:

James Fleet
    Photobucket

Ben Cross
    Photobucket

Moneypenny:

Kelly Reilly
    Photobucket

Kelly MacDonald
    Photobucket
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    the problem with MoneyPenny, there will never be another Lois Maxwell.

Did you know Lois was originally going to play Sylvia Trench and Eunice Gayson was supposed to play Moneypenny?
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    And you could say the same about Q.

Yet if these characters are to be brought back into the films new actors must come on board. It's a double-edged sword really - and that's the main problem.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Did you know Lois was originally going to play Sylvia Trench and Eunice Gayson was supposed to play Moneypenny?
    Yes, I know. She simply didn't like the prospect of wearing so little on screen.

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I cannot imagine how awkward it would look to see Daniel Craig's Bond flirt around with Moneypenny..haha.. He just doesn't look the sort that would flirt around much with girls like the other Bonds have...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I cannot imagine how awkward it would look to see Daniel Craig's Bond flirt around with Moneypenny..haha.. He just doesn't look the sort that would flirt around much with girls like the other Bonds have...
    I'm not sure why you'd think that @imranbecks, I've not seen anything in the Craig Bonds to suggest that he wouldn't flirt with a Moneypenny character.
    I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but maybe a sex reversal for the characters of Q and Moneypenny could work?
    I wondered if the character of Villiers in CR was thinking along the same lines. I liked Tobias Menzies in the role, and would've liked to see him continue. Certainly better than Tanner in QOS. As far as a female Q I'm stuck for a good casting choice. But if they do have to return (and I'm not against it), then the only way I can see it working is to change the way the characters are played.
    Why try and copy the irreplaceable Llewellyn and Maxwell. It simply wont work.
    Indeed. Casting someone in their thirties I think is the best idea and either keep them on through the years who recast them with each Bond actor, as the Felix role sometimes is.
    I'd go younger than that even. I would like a 20 something who is brilliant but socially awkward, unable to even hold eye contact with Bond and practically incapable of explaining his gadgets properly. Bordering on the autistic spectrum.
    I'd go younger than that even. I would like a 20 something who is brilliant but socially awkward, unable to even hold eye contact with Bond and practically incapable of explaining his gadgets properly. Bordering on the autistic spectrum.
    Sounds just like me. Where can I sign? ;)
    edited June 2011 Posts: 7,570
    I need to see a picture of you @BAIN123 complete with over-size specs and uncombed hair :)
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Well I don't have over-sized specs but I do have curly "uncombed" hair. Plus I spend waaayy too much time in front of my computer.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150100316597837&set=a.494180632836.271106.509922836&type=1&theater

(the pic is me all scrubbed up lol)