*General Actor/Actress Discussion*

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited January 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 28,694
I thought this would be a good thread to start. The premise is simple. Each week I will post the name and photo of a famous actor or actress, and each week we will discuss our own individual favorite work. In addition, we can include what our favorite film of theirs is, and/or their magnum opus. I will alternate every other week between an actor/actress. So, week 1 we'll have an actor, week 2 we'll have an actress, week 3 an actor, week 4 an actress, and so on. So, to kick this thing off, I can think of no better candidate than the man, the quintessential James Bond, the legend himself:

Sir Sean Connery
Sean-Connery-photographed-015.jpg

I'll give my input once things have gotten rolling! B-)

Comments

My favorite film for him specifically? The Last Crusade, 'Junior!'
  • My favorite Connery film? Too many to name. They don't make stars like him anymore.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I really loved his chemistry with Caine in 'The Man Who Would Be King'.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,905
    Excellent idea 0Brady. I think it was SG whom ran a similar thread on the original forum, but that thread died off.

Re: Connery
    I've seen a number of his non-Bond films by chance, but i've never though he was that good of an actor, or felt the need to dive into his career back catalogue.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I really loved his chemistry with Caine in 'The Man Who Would Be King'.
    I agree, but would also add Hitchcock's "Marnie" and the first 2 Bonds, DN and FRWL. Of his later work, I especially like him as the cop in "The Untouchables".
    You beat me too it zebrafish! I loved his cop"Malone" in the Untouchables! Such an engrossing film with a fine cast too!
  • The Hill! Sublime. Oh, Good afternoon by the way!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Connery is great in The Rock. Futher proof you can an 'older' action star in the right role.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Connery is great in The Rock. Futher proof you can an 'older' action star in the right role.

I love that film :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Connery in The Rock is the ultimate bad-ass grumpy grandpa Bond !!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Excellent idea 0Brady. I think it was SG whom ran a similar thread on the original forum, but that thread died off.

Re: Connery
    I've seen a number of his non-Bond films by chance, but i've never though he was that good of an actor, or felt the need to dive into his career back catalogue.

Thank you @MajorDSmythe. I appreciate all the posting all.

Well, for me, obviously Sean is best in Bond, but outside of the realm of espionage is where I feel he did his best work. In 1987's The Untouchables. Sean stole the role and plays an Irish officer by the name of James Malone. Sean is such a badass in this film, I was just sitting with my jaw dropped. I won't spoil anything for anyone who wasn't seen it, but it is a great performance from Sean, that was both sides tough guy and emotional. The film in itself is utterly brilliant, and Sean really leads the charge. What a film, what a man.
    An Irish cop with a Scottish accent. Only Sean can pull that off ;)
    Interesting that many people have gone for Seans Hollywood action blockbuster films. I prefer him in other more gentle stuff.

He was brilliant as an aging Robin Hood with Audrey Hepburn in Robin and Marian and as Sir William Baskerville solving clues in 13th century Italy in The Name of The Rose.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Interesting that many people have gone for Seans Hollywood action blockbuster films. I prefer him in other more gentle stuff.

He was brilliant as an aging Robin Hood with Audrey Hepburn in Robin and Marian and as Sir William Baskerville solving clues in 13th century Italy in The Name of The Rose.

I really liked him in Finding Forester. that was a very good story, great cast and a heart warming tale. One of his last films if I recall...
    Mapybe he is semi retired now and waiting for the right part.

:-/
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    For me, Conners' best flicks are...

Dr No
    From Russia With Love
    Goldfinger
    The Man Who Would Be King
    Robin And Marian
    A Bridge Too Far
    Time Bandits
    The Name Of The Rose
    The Untouchables
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
    The Hunt For Red October

And his best role? Well, that's a toughie, indeed. I'd have to say it's a toss up between Bond in DN/ FRWL, Daniel Dravot in The Man Who Would Be King (perhaps his very best film), William Baskerville in The Name Of The Rose and Jimmy Malone in The Untouchables. And I can't decide between 'em... ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:

What about a Russian Submarine captain with a Scottish accent????
    SaintMark wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

What about a Russian Submarine captain with a Scottish accent????

I haven't seen Hunt for Red October so can't comment ;)
    Excluding bond, marnie, highlander, untouchables, hunt for red october are all great movie's. meteor probably his worst second thoughts its got to be Sword of the valiant, truly terrible film.
    Excluding bond, marnie, highlander, untouchables, hunt for red october are all great movie's. meteor probably his worst second thoughts its got to be Sword of the valiant, truly terrible film.

No, thats got to be The Avengers or "LXG" also known as The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"
    Truth be told, anything with SC in it becomes automatically more amusing/entertaining, and for some reason the movie can be uttre sh*te but SC isn't touched by this.

And I do have LXG on my list of guilty pleasures, and SC is lighting up the screen every time he is on it. HE is Alan Quartermain.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    SaintMark wrote:
    Truth be told, anything with SC in it becomes automatically more amusing/entertaining, and for some reason the movie can be uttre sh*te but SC isn't touched by this.

And I do have LXG on my list of guilty pleasures, and SC is lighting up the screen every time he is on it. HE is Alan Quartermain.

I wish Sean went out on a better film. You know...like SKYFALL! :-\"
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    If it was not for ill health if i remember correctly, sean was set to be in Star Trek V: The final frontier they even named a planet after sean in the film (sha ka ree), would love to have seen him playing off shatner Lol
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,694
    BAIN123 wrote:

No, thats got to be The Avengers or "LXG" also known as The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

Atleast LXG is entertaining and quite fun... 'Meteor' was just horrible. The acting, the special effects... I hope Connery is ashamed of this movie.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's true Connery doesn't have great range as an actor, but he has the x factor and I'd rather watch him than any other actor in history other than Brando or a young Robert de Niro.

It's a long time since I saw The Anderson Tapes, The Molly Maguires or The Name of the Rose but I'm sure I remember Connery being great in all of them.

I have a guilty pleasure - First Knight with Richard Gere. Silly of course but great fun, entertaining and romantic.

He was never better than as Bond - my favourite performaces being Goldfinger and Thunderball. Outside of Bond he was great in The Hill, Marnie, The Man Who Would Be King among others.

Terrible Connery films? Oh yes, non more so than his farewell film LXG.
    Watched Darby O'Gill and the Little People recently, it has its charm, you can clearly see what the bond producers saw in connery after watching him in this movie.
    Alright folks, say what you wish for Sir Sean Connery. Before the night is over we will have an actress to discuss.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Ok ladies and gents, we now move on from Sir Sean to our next star. She is the smile, the laugh, the Pretty Woman, none other than...

Julia Roberts
    el0910-wljuliepray-002.jpg
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    ^ No. She'd be just as bad as all other American Bond girls.. and I'm American. She's not the best we have. Nowhere near.

*Maybe in a Dalton flick, mmaayybbee.
    Although i like her and she is very watchable? I cannot see a role in a Bond film that she would suit? Besides? I don't want big recognisable actor and actresses taking over the franchise for guest appearances?
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    ^ No. She'd be just as bad as all other American Bond girls.. and I'm American. She's not the best we have. Nowhere near.

*Maybe in a Dalton flick, mmaayybbee.

Well the thread is not about who should be in a Bond film... but about the chosen actor/actress in general... what's your favorite film that he/she played in ? what's her/his best performance ? what do you think about him/her?.....