*General Actor/Actress Discussion*

Comments

I wanted to avoid this but in any event sometimes we need to face our demons

Bottom line is, do I think Jolie is attractive ?, No. Do I think Jolie can act ?, No. Do I think she's worth any amount of attention ?, No. I'll be honest and say I can't see beyond some leather faced theatrical charlatan with regards to this individual. What others feel is up to them but I'm not going to lie about it. That's all I have to say on the issue
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I put Angelina up for discussion here knowing this would be the result, but I agree with the majority. I don't see what some see (most beautiful woman ever and all that), and her films while they are entertaining usually aren't because of her or her acting. Her best for me is Mr. and Mrs. Smith, for example, yet I more enjoy the comedic spy tale and the entertaining story over her part in the film. She holds her own and is alluring, but the movie succeeded because it turned the spy drama into a comedy and parodied a lot of themes successfully without going over the top or being weak with presentation. Brad and Angelina had great chemistry, and that sold it big time. Unfortunately the movie was what brought them together, and we all know that story. Outside of acting she is very weird, and seems to market herself just because she thinks she's sexy. Like at the Oscars where she let her thigh hang out ON PURPOSE. In interviews it seems like she comes off as fake and just pretends to be weird for attention, but we'll never know. That's just my opinion on her from what I've seen.
    Who did not like Wanted? There is an enjoyable pulpmovie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:

Enjoyable, but tore the source material to shreds.
    SaintMark wrote:

Enjoyable, but tore the source material to shreds.

Source material is just that, I find this Russian director gives us nice visual actionmovies that reek of sensasionalism but are quite enjoyable. And Jilie played her part very well imho.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I know she has done some good work, but the only film I have seen where she is required to act is Changeling (dir: Clint Eastwood) and she is more than competant. Whether that is Eastwood's skills at bringing performances out of certain actors I don't know, but Jolie gave a suitably well balanced and thoughtful performance.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    One thing's for certain, she's the only female name you could put on a poster that would sell tickets. That's quite something in itself. She's not a bad actor by any means, if often just depends on the film.
    NicNac wrote:
    I know she has done some good work, but the only film I have seen where she is required to act is Changeling (dir: Clint Eastwood) and she is more than competant. Whether that is Eastwood's skills at bringing performances out of certain actors I don't know, but Jolie gave a suitably well balanced and thoughtful performance.

I've not seen it yet but another example is Girl Interrupted where she plays a patient in a psychiatric hospital. I suspect that she's a better actress than a lot of people give her credit for.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,925
    The films i've seen that she's been in:

The Bone Colletor
    Girl Interrupted*
    Gone In 60 Seconds
    Tomb Raider
    Tomb Raider: Cradle Of Life
    The Tourist

And I still don't think she's up to much in the acting stakes.

*Thank god for Bettis & DuVall, as I wouldn't have got through that.
    The films i've seen that she's been in:

The Bone Colletor
    Girl Interrupted*
    Gone In 60 Seconds
    Tomb Raider
    Tomb Raider: Cradle Of Life
    The Tourist

And I still don't think she's up to much in the acting stakes.

*Thank god for Bettis & DuVall, as I wouldn't have got through that.

There was also Mr and Mrs Smith as well.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    RogueAgent wrote:
    There was also Mr and Mrs Smith as well.

those where the filmes HE watched.

Both tomb raider movies were good, but i never played the game so i can't know if it fits at the gaming or not.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2012 Posts: 4,476
    The films i've seen/Own:

Tomb Raider 1&2
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    Beyond Borders
    The Bone Collector

The films i've seen/not own:

Gone In 60 Seconds

Already own, but not take the time yet to watch be Shark Tale (Voice), The Good Shepherd, Kung Fu Panda (Voice) and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

The Tourist, Salt and Wanted are on my wishlist to see/buy.

Tomb Raider and The Bone Collector both be 2 movies with her who i rent in 2001. In 2002 i buy Tomb Raider on dvd. The Bone Collector last month.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    She is okay, I think; has some talent. However, for me her weird personal life (not so much at present as she has become "super mom" and caring UN helper - and I am not knocking that, by the way) colors how I react to her. I mean her previous stuff, wearing a vial of blood, cutting her body, and goodness knows how many tattoos.
    Having said that, I did like her in Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Tourist. I really did not like Wanted.
    I do not write a film off because she is in it; just a big grain of salt there.
    Last call for opinions on Mrs. Cooky.
    I feel I need to divorce myself from Skyfall for a bit, which may easier than done so maybe there are other areas we can explore

When can we have a new actor/actress, they seem to go in genders, so next up should be an actor then. I like these rounds sometimes, I would of made some suggestions but it's up to the originator to come up with names, let's keep this busy if it's all well and good. New 'film star' coming up soon maybe
    I feel I need to divorce myself from Skyfall for a bit, which may easier than done so maybe there are other areas we can explore

When can we have a new actor/actress, they seem to go in genders, so next up should be an actor then. I like these rounds sometimes, I would of made some suggestions but it's up to the originator to come up with names, let's keep this busy if it's all well and good. New 'film star' coming up soon maybe

Yes, I switch between actor and actress weekly. I usually decide myself, but I am open to input on the next actor/actress.
    I know it was months ago, but my favourite connery films are the last crusade, thunderball and the rock.

I'm not a fan of jolie. I don't think she's as good looking as some people say and I don't think she's a great actress. I liked gone in 60 seconds and wanted though.
    Might I suggest we leave the plastic faced Jolie behind and look in the direction of other actors/actresses with more recognized acting capabilities?

Brady said himself there is room for suggestions so why spurn such an opportunity

Men

Kevin Bacon
    Steven Seagal (seriously)
    Gene Hackman
    Jean Claude Van Damme
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Orson Welles
    James Stewart
    Gregory Peck

Women

Julie Walters
    Debra Winger
    Sigourney Weaver
    Michelle Pfeiffer
    Sharon Stone
    Jane Fonda
    Sandra Bullock
    Bridget Fonda

Some good examples there I think

I'm happy to take input, so without further ado, our next subject is:

Arnold Schwarzenegger
    1320225840_arnold_schwarzenegger.jpg

Thanks to @Baltimore_007 for the suggestion.

For Arnold, my favorite of his that I have seen is True Lies. It was a great spy film, with action, drama, and comedy all in a great balance. The Bondian influences are visible, and Arnold handled the romantic side of his married life exceptionally well. Tom Arnold gives his greatest film performance as well, and surprised me with what he brought to the table. A great Cameron film, and here's hoping he has an inkling to do more instead of being a 3D sellout.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Arnold is awesome. Say what you will about his personal life, but no denying he's a badass.

My fave arny film is probably commando, great actioner. But true lies, the terminator films, the last action hero and the expendables are also great. Then of cause, there's total recall and predator.
    If you haven't seen Schwarzenegger in Collateral Damage, it's well worth a watch

End of Days is not bad, but Gabriel Byrne took the honors in that one

Schwarzenegger did some awful releases too like Kindergarten Cop, Last Action Hero and Twins

Total Recall is another fine, if messy adventure although a little too violent for some

Predator was fun

Raw Deal is worth a watch too, it has Robert Davi in it also

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Would arnold be a good Bond, earlier, if he were quoted to the films?
    edited March 2012 Posts: 28,694
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Would arnold be a good Bond, earlier, if he were quoted to the films?

No. He lacked the look and linguistics.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger as James Bond!

8-X
    First film i saw Arnold in was Predator! Great film and my own personal favourite of his films!
    Alright, I'll move on. Hopefully this thread can stay above water as the next actor is:

Tom Hanks
    tom-hanks-pose-c35e5.jpg

You all know the drill.

I'm late with this, but had to say: forrest gump and saving private ryan are awesome. And my sister AND her kid cried at the end of toy story 3, I never saw it, but it must've been good. Tarantino liked it.
    Arnie got lucky. He was a terrible actor who made some terrible pictures. Then along comes the slow burner 'The Terminator' which was a terrific film and he cleverly launches his brand on the unsuspecting public. He made one or two good films (good in spite of his presence) but never really bettered Terminator (unless we count T2).

I don't agree with @Baltimore_007, Twins was a film I found quite charming and for once Arnie gave a half decent performance, paired cleverly with Danny deVito. These kind of warm fuzzy films are a staple of Hollywood these days but at least deVito gave that one an edge.
    We're all here to agree to disagree, it's the very essence of what makes these forum things

One serious bone of contention I have with Schwarzenegger is why the hell was he made into a 'good terminator' for Judgment Day, if you watch the 1984 original he seemed almost perfect as the hunter from the future out to kill Connor, and lo and behold for the sequel, the same identical machine almost, is now all good natured and helpful and aids in the quest, what a load of Sandra Bullocks..... and don't get me started on that horrible whiney kid in T2 either :-L

I don't think Schwarzenegger should of done a 3rd installent either, or it just shouldn't have been done for that matter. Series should of ended in 1991 I truly feel

I think Arnold should of come back for Predator II also, It failed miserably being set in an urban environment and is one of the worst sequels ever, all they had to do was keep it jungle themed and keep Schwarz' in the lead role and get rid of the other actors in P2 and find some other cast members and it woud of been so much better.. :-<
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,658
    Conan was a pretty good movie imo....the atmosphere/mood was wonderful in that one.

Why T2 was more kid friendly......I'd say the reason was $$$ (just like TMNT 2 was toned down after parents complaining bout the first one being too intense)

I thought Twins and KC were good.....Junior wasn't all that but the concept of male birth was interesting.
    We're all here to agree to disagree, it's the very essence of what makes these forum things

One serious bone of contention I have with Schwarzenegger is why the hell was he made into a 'good terminator' for Judgment Day, if you watch the 1984 original he seemed almost perfect as the hunter from the future out to kill Connor, and lo and behold for the sequel, the same identical machine almost, is now all good natured and helpful and aids in the quest, what a load of Sandra Bullocks..... and don't get me started on that horrible whiney kid in T2 either :-L

I can answer that Baltimore because I remember why. By the time of T2 Arnie was a huge star (which he wasn't at the time of T1) and he now had to be the good guy. Simple studio politics.