SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans-(NO SPOILERS) Now A Fresh Look at DR. NO (trivia galore!)

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well I knew most of it, but 'Warhead' and TSWLM having so much in common was new to me. I wonder what happened there. I share SirHenry's disdain for McClory, allthough he did bring quite a bit of ideas to Bond. It's a pity he was so greedy. He could've been famous for collaborting, instead of a destructive force.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    edited May 22 Posts: 11,349
    Aha! I just discovered the perfect lead up Bondathon path for me, in prep for Bond 25.
    Thanks to reading this website's write up of the new updated edition of Some Kind Of Hero, I realized that is perfect! I will watch the films with that book as my companion piece. I do LOVE this book. It's been more than a year since I looked through it. Each film is dealt with separately, with great detail and background stories, very informative. So I'll be going in the order of that book - read that chapter first, then watch the film. That is perfect for me, and I can take my time with it. @royale65 thank you again for giving me this outstanding book as a gift a few years ago.

The newly updated version includes Spectre. I don't feel I need to get that ... now if they had waited till it included Bond25, that one I would probably buy.

I know some of you have this book. What do you think of my idea? It certainly will be a fresh approach for me for viewing the films and a great lead up to Bond 25. B-)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    If you love the book that much, that seems the way to go.
    Yes, I really do. I also have some other ways to see the films and will have time to do other approaches as well.
    edited May 23 Posts: 26,260
    I don't know if I've already suggested this order, but it was another fun way that I've approached the series:

DN, OHMSS, LALD, TLD, GE, CR, FRWL, TMWTGG, LTK, TND, QOS, GF, TSWLM, TWINE, SF, TB, MR, DAD, SP, YOLT, FYEO, DAF, OP, NSNA, AVTAK
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    That's a good way to do it @Birdleson - I believe one of the Bond podcasts I listen to reviewed the films in that order.

I haven't watched a Bond film in a couple of months...I had a look over the Bond movie meter and I've watched only seven this year. Plan to get through all of them this calendar year.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Anybody already did one in the novel order? I can't do any for a lack of time, would love to do one again.
    I have done it that way. It's interesting. Especially if you're reading the books along in tandem.
  • I have also watched the films in novel order (while reading the novels at the same time.) I think @Birdleson and I both gave reviews of the novels as well -- it may have even been in this thread a few years back.
    cool. would love to catch up on that. Probably in a year or two things will slow down a bit.
    edited May 29 Posts: 11,349
    Ok, so here is what I am going to do on this thread. B-)
    All the James Bond films so far ... another look as we head to Bond 25 ~

I'm going to write up my personal look at each Bond film and post my main observations here (and I will try to be relatively brief; this will not be a full review).

However, what makes this different - and not just my own take on the films - are the following two additions I will include with my look at every Bond film:

1) A few salient points on the film from the excellent Bond book, Some Kind of Hero. I'll be reading the chapter about the film during the same week I watch the film. I'll include quotes from it - what I feel are interesting back stories and other info.

2) I will also include some observations made by Sir Henry in the past about the film, and I'll include a link to the exact page on this thread to find his review in full. That makes it easy for you to access it. Those were done a few years ago but also contain tons of interesting info on the films and make for very worthwhile reading.

We welcome all your participation as we go through each Bond film. Your thoughts, facts you can share, personal stories are great! (Your 1st experience seeing the film, etc.) Keep in mind, though, that this time, on this thread, is not a place for a full review of the film (I'll have to keep reminding us of that). Other threads have full reviews.

We especially welcome our "Originals" - the older Bond fans, who saw their first Bond film starring Sean Connery, in a theater during its initial release. There are still a handful of us here. This thread is the home for older fans ... I like to say "vintage" or "seasoned" Bond fans. We can share so much from our experiences (and if our opinions have changed over the years, etc.)

ALL members are welcome to comment here, even if not an "Original" or older fan. Please do chime in - just keep with the spirit and tone of this thread. No spam, no nasty snark or sniping at others' opinions; humor and personal stories are very much enjoyed; thoughtful appraisals and comments are appreciated.

I will begin this Bondathon journey this coming weekend. I hope that this 3-tiered, layered approach will bring a lot of enjoyable reading to our members here.

To be clear, this will not be a full review, nor just a comparison of films.

This Bondathon look at the films from me aims to be:

~ a fresh look at each film, with my own main points and observations (not a review, just my take and what I found interesting)

~ quotes from the book Some Kind of Hero, giving background stories; interesting info

~ quotes from Sir Henry's past excellent write-ups of each film, including the link to the page on this thread so you can read all the trivia, background info, facts he included (as well as his review). From there you can read other members' reviews and comments as well.

Approximately 3 Bond films a month; I am flexible, though.

NOTE: As we get genuine, confirmed news about Bond 25 ... this thread still stays 100% SPOILER-FREE. No mentioning of anything except the title. ;) Title is fine. When news breaks we will be on other threads reading and discussing Bond 25 news - or not. Personal choice. But we won't chat about Bond 25 on here, except I think a brief discussion of the title; that's quite all right.

So here we go ... today is Thursday morning as I type this. I'll be posting on Sunday, June 2nd and I hope you'll join us here. And yes, we will go chronologically, beginning with the fabulous debut of this remarkable film series: DR. NO B-)

That timing word for me. I happen to be heaiodng over to @Some_Kind_Of_Hero 's house to watch DN on Sat. Night. @Revelator is suppose to be there too.
    Ah excellent. :) I'm looking forward to doing this series, just chucking lots of info here. Dr. No is such a splendid intro to Bond. And it's almost my personal favorite of the novels (Live and Let Die 2nd favorite).
    Excellent, looking foreward to this!
    I look forward to this as well. I enjoy hearing others' stories about seeing these films and how they felt at the time and would like to share mine as well. It's really like looking back at our lives, so there's that as well.
    Thanks, @BT3366 and @CommanderRoss. I'm looking forward to doing this, as it will give you all plenty of reading options, not just my take on the films.
    edited June 2 Posts: 11,349
    Sorry to announce a slight delay, as I have a worrisome personal situation.
    I will get this series started soon, I think within a week. Thanks for understanding. I do want to put the right effort into it, to enjoy it fully for myself and choose the most apt info to share from the book and SirHenry. I cannot do that just now. I am personally okay, but my dog is not. He is elderly, now suddenly hit with 2nd bout of vertigo. Not as severe as months ago, but still very concerning because he may injure himself.
    B25 is a long ways off, so we've got the time. Hope your dog gets better. One of mine was ill recently and that was tough on my family.
    Indeed! Wishing your dog a speedy recovery! Take all the time you need.
  • Give your dog a pat on the head from me. Hope he's feeling better soon.
    edited June 5 Posts: 11,349
    Thanks to all of you. He is a bit better, so I am hoping that every day he improves a little. He's happy; that matters a lot, of course.

I hope to get to Dr. No within a week; thanks for your patience. Please chat away on here in the meantime - any decent Bond subject welcome. B-)
    How is your dog doing @4EverBonded? I hope better?
    Thanks. Fortunately, both dogs - mine and his elderly mum - are recovering well from the vertigo. Still old, still hearts not in good shape, but the stumbling and falling has stopped.

My other stresses are up and down, but I plan to start my Bondathon thread on Sunday. I hope so. Just restarting working on Saturday (which is a good thing, my only source of extra income). So life is on the upswing, and I hope to be able to put my energy and fun into Dr. No this weekend, which I'll write about here. B-)
    edited June 22 Posts: 26,260
    The King and I a couple of days back listening to McCARTNEY (1970). I think that one of us is high.

What a cute dog! Sorry he is a bit under the influence at the moment, but you are clear-eyed and looking out for him. ;) My dog's health is much improved. I will be playing with all 3 elderly dogs soon. They still wear me out and bring me much joy every single day.

Good news is I will give my Bondathon a start today. Dr. No it is! Films in chronological order, with excerpts from fab Bond book Some Kind Of Hero, along with snippets of trivia, background info, and reviews from this thread's founder, SirHenry. All start after breakfast. I'll be posting some probably this afternoon.
    I now begin this Bondathon journey .
    To keep in mind, as stated above: This will not be a full review, nor just a comparison of films.
    This Bondathon look at the films from me aims to be:

~ a fresh look at each film, with my own main points and observations (not a review, just my take and what I found interesting)

~ quotes from the book Some Kind of Hero, giving background stories; interesting info

~ quotes from Sir Henry's past excellent write-ups of each film, including the link to the page on this thread so you can read all the trivia, background info, facts he included (as well as his review). From there you can read other members' reviews and comments as well.

DR. NO B-)
    I had first read the novel and it remains one of my favorite books. I didn't see this in the theater as a child but older when it was shown on TV. I'm very fond of this first Bond film, for a variety of reasons.

Let me give you this link to start us off:
    It's an original documentary about the making of Dr. No. Some of you have probably seen this before. I have not and will watch it later.

• Look forward to it, @4Ever! The look back at Sir Henry's comments should be especially enjoyable...
    edited June 23 Posts: 11,349

Dr. No gave us the template for James Bond on film. If it flopped, there most likely would not have been a second film. Broccoli and Saltzman loved the material and wanted to make the best film they could. It was to be different from other spy/detective/thrillers, and they cared about getting the world of Bond (and of course Bond himself) portrayed as vibrant and compelling as possible. Of course they wanted a hit, but to everybody who was involved's credit, it seems to be they really tried to bring Fleming to the screen. The attention to detail was there. They had much labor over the script. They knew casting was critical.
    I'll only touch on a few things ... (exact wording from Some Kind of Hero is in italics below) ~

The opening credits are fun - wow! First ones ever, so well worth noting. Comparing them to the opening shots and music that followed in the next Bond films, Dr. No gives us a pared down experience. But the essence of Bond is right there: That genius first gun barrel shot (done by Bob Simmons), the blast of Bond music that we know so well now; startling intro! Then what immediately follows is a succinct, stripped down, colorful, Jamaican flavored opening. Pulsing dots of colors and silhouettes of women dancing, leading to the three blind mice killers. It really is the perfect opening as it gives us the flavor, sense of danger, locale, and brutal, murderous action within moments. So quick and compact compared to all the Bond films that will follow. Everything essential in what we love about opening montage is right there at the beginning of this first film.

Some Kind Of Hero notes re gun barrel sequence: It was a Colt 45, a British service revolver, short-barrelled. We couldn't focus down to get the rifle in. The actual lens just couldn't cope with it. I had an idea ... I had heard about pinhole cameras. So we got a piece of black paper and stuck a pin through it and cog the iris to shut right down and we got a perfect picture of the gun barrel. We had to have a policeman standing by - a British bobby because of the gun laws in England.

Ursula as Honey Ryder ~ One of my favorite Bond girls because she was in the book essentially a wild child (Honeychile) - self sufficient and not worldly, a Tomboy who had a lot of self-educated knowledge about animals and nature. With Ursula in the role, she simply looks like a force of nature. Stunning. So Cubby first glimpsed her in a photo her husband had taken of her, in a wet shirt. Hmmm. Some Kind of Hero quotes Cubby as saying "She looked very attractive - wet - like a sea lion." Broccoli followed this up with a call to Casting Director Max Arnow, who informed him "No photograph can catch the beauty of this girl." (a bit more elegant way of putting it, in my opinion) However, Arnow went on to say "She has a voice like a Dutch comic." Ursula ended up being dubbed for the film.
    Since the moment Ursula came on screen, walking out of the ocean, what an impact she had. She deserves her iconic status. Some Kind of Hero quotes Ursula about her famous bikini: "I wanted something very simple. I had a very special idea about how I wanted the bikini. We designed it together. I chose the material, I didn't sew it, but I helped to cut it!" (She helped costumer designer Tessa Prendergast.) ...
    The bikini was sold years later in 2001 at auction for 41,125 (British pounds) - more than twenty-seven times her 1,500 (British pound) salary for appearing in Dr. No. "It was a rag. Who wanted it? I was going to throw it away and then a friend of mine said 'Oh keep it!' I had it in a box in Los Angeles for years."

Terence Young + Sean Connery coming up soon ... ;) then possibly one more particular tidbit about this film that started it all, and I'll wrap up with SirHenry's review and other links.

Meanwhile, feel free to comment from the few things I've noted above about Dr. No. After I finish, if there is any topic in particular concerning Dr. No that you'd like me to check in the book Some Kind Of Hero, I'm happy to do that. Cheers!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Very much enjoying everything you're presenting here, @4EverBonded.

Regarding this.
    Some Kind Of Hero notes re gun barrel sequence: It was a Colt 45, a British service revolver, short-barrelled. We couldn't focus down to get the rifle in. The actual lens just couldn't cope with it. I had an idea ... I had heard about pinhole cameras. So we got a piece of black paper and stuck a pin through it and cog the iris to shut right down and we got a perfect picture of the gun barrel. We had to have a policeman standing by - a British bobby because of the gun laws in England.
    Surely that was intended as "rifling", the grooves inside a gunbarrel that give the bullet a spin assisting a true path.

Thanks, @RichardTheBruce . I just got back home and will be adding more in a bit.
    I wondered for a brief moment about "rifle" but just copied it as is from the book.