The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Bond just pulled what Agent Smith always used to do in The Matrix. After all, he is a government agent. ;)

giphy.gif

Neo did the same.
    tumblr_oljq8axSO51v85w7qo3_r1_400.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gerard wrote: »
    All prepared in advance : fake blood, fake bullet holes (either done with small explosives like they do it in the movies, or the bed was bulletproof).

Exactly. MI6 hired John Stears.
    Had Connery done OHMSS would United Artist have gotten him to do DAF with the same deal they gave him for that film? Or without the break in between YOLT & DAF he wouldn't have done DAF?
    edited May 2019 Posts: 45,489
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Had Connery done OHMSS would United Artist have gotten him to do DAF with the same deal they gave him for that film? Or without the break in between YOLT & DAF he wouldn't have done DAF?

Who can say?

As an aside, EON were specifically looking for an American Bond for DAF, in order to reclaim that market. Hamilton wanted Burt Reynolds, but Cubby had his eyes fixed on John Gavin. Until Picker lured Connery back with said deal, that is.

Clint Eastwood was also apparently approached.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Gerard wrote: »
    All prepared in advance : fake blood, fake bullet holes (either done with small explosives like they do it in the movies, or the bed was bulletproof).

@Gerard There wasn't fake blood before and bullet holes in the wall till after got shot blood and bullet holes don't randomly appear for an effect or if it was how?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Squibs.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Squibs.

Ok
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,126
    How do they fix the whole Blofeld thing in Spectre I'm rewatching Spectre hadn't seen it in a while and confused if this is the same Blofeld from the old movies and his real name was Franz Oberhauser or this is entirely new Blofeld or what I'm confused.
    My pet theory is that the Blofeld from Spectre is a fake Blofeld. He might not even be Franz Oberhauser. And maybe the whole movie was a bad dream endured during one of Bond's hangovers.
    Just listening to the latest James Bond & Friends episode and it’s mentioned that Craig’s Bond was born in Berlin.
    Is this true? If so, when/ why did this happen?
    His CR passport says he was born in Berlin, yet Beech passport says York. Go figure.
    As for why it did happen, if it happened, remember that there were British troops in Berlin (and part of West Germany) from 1945 to the 1990s. And also French and American troops as well. I know, my father was stationed there for a while (Freiburg, Baden Oos, Rastatt and West Berlin), and my sisters were born in Germany. So, a Birtish citizen can have been born in Germany, and still be British.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    According to that "Authorised Biography" (which I have not read), the original (literary) James Bond was born in Wattenscheid, now part of Bochum.
    Deutsche Welle Report
    Since this was basically due to his father being stationed there after WWI, maybe updating it to Berlin for the younger Bond generation does make sense?
    So, we have CR Bond born in Berlin, and SF Bond born in Glencoe! The Craig era continuity is most odd. At least the Dalton and Broz passports have some consistency with Bond born in London.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    So, we have CR Bond born in Berlin, and SF Bond born in Glencoe! The Craig era continuity is most odd. At least the Dalton and Broz passports have some consistency with Bond born in London.

Not that I care particularly, but did it say in SF that JB was *born* at Skyfall? Couldn't it just have been his parents' (or make that father's) ancestral home, used like a sort of holiday flat whenever the occasion arose? And couldn't they just have moved there after Bond sr.'s stint at Berlin? With James being a toddler? Or something...
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Isn't if you were born on a military base you are a citizen and technically born on the country of the base so if he was born on a British military base so is Bond technically a British citizen or here is wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law it says in the 007 fandom app under Craig's Bond he was Born in Glencoe Scotland UK
    So, we have CR Bond born in Berlin, and SF Bond born in Glencoe! The Craig era continuity is most odd.

Maybe Bond is a born again Christian.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    He did say it was his second life. You're onto something there.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    At the end of DAF Bond and Tiffany are laying on the settee and Tiffany says "I know in a relationship like ours the girl isn't supposed to be the one to ask. But I can't help it. And please think before answering." Bond says "I promise".

They then have the fight with Kidd and Wint. Bond then asks "What was that question you wanted to ask me?" Tiffany replies "How do we get the diamonds down from there?"

It seems to me to be a little bit too cute by far. They are almost teasing a marriage again and then swerve it to a totally different response. Is this the producers giving another wink to the audience on we will never repeat the OHMSS experience? Or is there another explanation for it?
    Maybe just a reference to the books, where his relationship to Tiffany was a serious one.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited May 2019 Posts: 6,716
    mattjoes wrote: »
    John Barry said in a 1979 interview that an African country had wanted his "Born Free" as their national anthem. Does anyone know what country, and the full story?

Born Free came out in 1966, and several countries were decolonized in the 60s and 70s. In Zimbabwe, and probably other countries as well, a "born free" is a term used on those born after independence was established.

Fascinating. Do you have a source for this?

The Big Book about James Bond by Sagen and Steingrimsen. They have an extensive list of sources, but don t know where they had that from.

@Thunderfinger, this is the source:

https://www.johnbarry.org.uk/index.php/the-essential-videos/item/171-martin-crosthwaite-interviews-john-barry
    Martin Crosthwaite: Which of you own compositions are million sellers?

John Barry: Goldfinger, Midnight Cowboy were. The musical, Billy was a silver disc as was Deep Down Inside from The Deep. Born Free was a gold record - it was recorded by thousands of people and was a phenomenon. BMI, who monitors a songs activity, informed me it was one of their most performed songs in history. They said it was topped by one or two others. A certain country in Africa even wanted to use the song as their national anthem.

This story is also mentioned in the book John Barry: A Sixties Theme, by Eddi Fiegel, but there's no further information on the matter. I don't know if he ever discussed this elsewhere.

Edit: In a 1970 episode of the Belgian music TV show Tienerklanken, Barry talks about this as well, but the facts are slightly different:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vj9OZsfz5D0&t=33m10s
    John Barry wrote:
    Even certain islands in the Caribbean wanted to adopt it as their national anthem.

So is it Africa or the Caribbean? Whatever the place, we're talking about something that happened between 1966 and 1970.

African countries that attained independence in that timespan: Botswana, Lesotho, Mauritius, Swaziland, Equatorial Guinea.

Caribbean countries: Barbados.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Isn't if you were born on a military base you are a citizen and technically born on the country of the base so if he was born on a British military base so is Bond technically a British citizen or here is wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law it says in the 007 fandom app under Craig's Bond he was Born in Glencoe Scotland UK

Citizenship is subject to the laws of the country in question. A number of countries, mostly in the Americas, have ius soli (law of the soil), meaning you become a citizen by being born there. Most countries follow ius sanguinis (law of the blood), which means you become a citizen because one or both of your parents are citizens. A number of countries have a mixture of both, with additional preconditions. It is safe to say that Bond would not be a German citizen just by having been born in Berlin or Wattenscheid, whereas it is also safe to say that he would be a British citizen because his father was one, regardless of his birthplace.
    John Barry said in a 1979 interview that an African country had wanted his "Born Free" as their national anthem. Does anyone know what country, and the full story?

Born Free came out in 1966, and several countries were decolonized in the 60s and 70s. In Zimbabwe, and probably other countries as well, a "born free" is a term used on those born after independence was established.

Fascinating. Do you have a source for this?

The Big Book about James Bond by Sagen and Steingrimsen. They have an extensive list of sources, but don t know where they had that from.

@Thunderfinger, this is the source:

https://www.johnbarry.org.uk/index.php/the-essential-videos/item/171-martin-crosthwaite-interviews-john-barry
    Martin Crosthwaite: Which of you own compositions are million sellers?

John Barry: Goldfinger, Midnight Cowboy were. The musical, Billy was a silver disc as was Deep Down Inside from The Deep. Born Free was a gold record - it was recorded by thousands of people and was a phenomenon. BMI, who monitors a songs activity, informed me it was one of their most performed songs in history. They said it was topped by one or two others. A certain country in Africa even wanted to use the song as their national anthem.

This story is also mentioned in the book John Barry: A Sixties Theme, by Eddi Fiegel, but there's no further information on the matter. I don't know if he ever discussed this elsewhere.

Edit: In a 1970 episode of the Belgian music TV show Tienerklanken, Barry talks about this as well, but the facts are slightly different:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vj9OZsfz5D0&t=33m10s
    John Barry wrote:
    Even certain islands in the Caribbean wanted to adopt it as their national anthem.

So is it Africa or the Caribbean? Whatever the place, we're talking about something that happened between 1966 and 1970.

African countries that attained independence in that timespan: Botswana, Lesotho, Mauritius, Swaziland, Equatorial Guinea.

Caribbean countries: Barbados.

Thanks, very interesting.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    This can be VERY interesting.

We all know the history: in 1977 TSWLM credits said "James Bond will return in For Your Eyes Only". After Star Wars boom, Moonraker was filmed instead.

BUT, this was published in a well known Spanish newspaper the 7th of March 1976:

LVG19760307-037.jpg

http://hemeroteca.lavanguardia.com/preview/1976/03/07/pagina-37/33804688/pdf.html

It says: "Cubby Broccoli has announced the start of the filming of The Spy Who Loved Me, with Roger Moore once again as Agent 007. Next year it is scheduled the filming of Moonraker and in 1978 For Your Eyes Only." :-/

No doubt this can not be an invention of an Spanish reporter. Was Moonraker ever planned to be filmed before FYEO already in 1976???
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    This is fascinating.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Citizenship is subject to the laws of the country in question. A number of countries, mostly in the Americas, have ius soli (law of the soil), meaning you become a citizen by being born there. Most countries follow ius sanguinis (law of the blood), which means you become a citizen because one or both of your parents are citizens. A number of countries have a mixture of both, with additional preconditions. It is safe to say that Bond would not be a German citizen just by having been born in Berlin or Wattenscheid, whereas it is also safe to say that he would be a British citizen because his father was one, regardless of his birthplace.

@JWPepper ok that makes sense that's why its different that's really interesting
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    ggl007 wrote: »
    This can be VERY interesting.

We all know the history: in 1977 TSWLM credits said "James Bond will return in For Your Eyes Only". After Star Wars boom, Moonraker was filmed instead.

BUT, this was published in a well known Spanish newspaper the 7th of March 1976:

LVG19760307-037.jpg

http://hemeroteca.lavanguardia.com/preview/1976/03/07/pagina-37/33804688/pdf.html

It says: "Cubby Broccoli has announced the start of the filming of The Spy Who Loved Me, with Roger Moore once again as Agent 007. Next year it is scheduled the filming of Moonraker and in 1978 For Your Eyes Only." :-/

No doubt this can not be an invention of an Spanish reporter. Was Moonraker ever planned to be filmed before FYEO already in 1976???

Never heard of this before. It seems if you were to based it on this article that they were planning something like LALD and TMWTGG and to have just a one year break. Then film 2 movies within a year of each other. Actually based on that you'd have Spy in 77, Moonraker in 77 and FYEO in 78. Seems a bit ambitious to me.

I think either the reporter is taking some licence with the order or the dates. Or perhaps mistakenly heard something. The story that I have heard numerous times is that FYEO was scheduled to go after TSWLM but then SW broke the Box Office and someone. (Broccoli? UA?) decided MR was a better choice.

I find it interesting that Spy is released on July 7 1977. Then sometime between the release of Spy and the shooting of the next film they changed course. I wonder how much work got put into FYEO during this time period. Or did they quickly shelve FYEO and begin working on MR before major work could be done?

From TWINE

"The report Sir Robert bought was stolen from an MI6 agent who was killed for it. I want to know who killed him?"

Who killed the mi6 agent? Was it Renard? Was it one of Elektra men? Who?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    From TWINE

"The report Sir Robert bought was stolen from an MI6 agent who was killed for it. I want to know who killed him?"

Who killed the mi6 agent? Was it Renard? Was it one of Elektra men? Who?

Why did he steal it?