No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Zekidk wrote: »
    All the action set pieces have been more or less inscribed in stone, as they have to do some planning about the locations, the approvals by the authorities, the tax grants, storyboarding, etc.
    So far we only know of one: the car chase in Matera. Every Bond movie has at least three.

It also looks like whatever was happening in Norway was somewhat action oriented
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    But no exterior action setpiece. We now know that for a fact. Shame...

I thought I saw Craig carrying a pistol in one of those street photos a few weeks back? Am I imagining things?

We could be in for a set-piece in Jamaica, but maybe it's not of the high-octane, boom boom, vehicular destruction kind. It might be something smaller - fist fight, gun play, foot chase etc.

I love those colors - hope it’s in the movie.

As for all the doom and gloom lately, I’m unbothered. We knew the film wouldn’t shoot with a finished script. The media is just hating on Craig and the film at this point more than anything else.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 3,167

I thought I saw Craig carrying a pistol in one of those street photos a few weeks back? Am I imagining things?

We could be in for a set-piece in Jamaica, but maybe it's not of the high-octane, boom boom, vehicular destruction kind. It might be something smaller - fist fight, gun play, foot chase etc.

The foot chase in the beginning of QoS counts as an action setpiece, IMO. An action scene would be the fight on the stairs in CR or the fistfight in the train in SP.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

The foot chase in the beginning of QoS counts as an action setpiece, IMO. An action scene would be the fight on the stairs in CR or the fistfight in the train in SP.

All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs. Fair enough.

I don't see much distinction between the two when it comes to definition, personally. But I digress...

Either way, I'm happy with something smaller and more tension based, especially in Jamaica. Bond outwitting a mark or an assassin after his meeting with Felix, for example. That kind of thing.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    FoxRox wrote: »

As for all the doom and gloom lately, I’m unbothered. We knew the film wouldn’t shoot with a finished script. The media is just hating on Craig and the film at this point more than anything else.

Maybe that's the role Rami Malek is playing the angry media with social media =))
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Maybe that's the role Rami Malek is playing the angry media with social media =))

Hahaha; we’ll have to wait and see. Hopefully he’s more of a threat than just that!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited May 2019 Posts: 2,495

Cary posted that yesterday, then announced they had wrapped in Jamaica today.

Could that been a bit of a wrap party for the cast and crew, and not part of the film?

Univex wrote: »
    What a thankless bastard he turned out to be. Anyone who writes for the likes of these tabloids can't be trusted, not one bit. They sell their souls, they do. And turn their coats at an ease.

Steady on - journalism is a brutal business these days and beggars, frankly, can't often be choosers.
    Let's remember that the very first Bond film shot in Jamaica had a script by Richard Maibaum and Mankowitz that was rejected, followed by a rewrite from Maibaum that was doctored by Berkely Mather and then re-doctored by Johanna Harwood. So "writing a re-write of a re-write" is nothing new.

"They have an outline of plot, but dialogue is all last-minute. It’s not the way to make a movie." Bull. It's far more important to have the plot nailed down than the dialogue, which can be far more easily changed without impacting the budget or locations. If the crew want to rewrite lines at the last minute, that's nothing to worry about. Rewriting the plot is what you have to worry about.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Revelator wrote: »
    Let's remember that the very first Bond film shot in Jamaica had a script by Richard Maibaum and Mankowitz that was rejected, followed by a rewrite from Maibaum that was doctored by Berkely Mather and then re-doctored by Johanna Harwood. So "writing a re-write of a re-write" is nothing new.

"They have an outline of plot, but dialogue is all last-minute. It’s not the way to make a movie." Bull. It's far more important to have the plot nailed down than the dialogue, which can be far more easily changed without impacting the budget or locations. If the crew want to rewrite lines at the last minute, that's nothing to worry about. Rewriting the plot is what you have to worry about.

Agreed, that's probably why QoS ended up being a better movie than SP. The former's rewrites pretty much only included the dialogue but the plot was set in the stone, with SP they had no idea what story they wanted to tell.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

If anyone should listen to the show tomorrow? Let us know if anything is said?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    RogueAgent wrote: »

If anyone should listen to the show tomorrow? Let us know if anything is said?

Will do!

Listeners can also send in questions for Rory to answer, if anyone has anything to ask.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,126
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    Naomie Harris talks Bond 25 at GQ Heroes

Speaking at British GQ Heroes, Naomie Harris said that she does not have any details on Bond 25 and that the cast will likely only receive their own part of the script to read, something that did not happen on previous films.
    "Not an issue." (It is.)
    "This is completely normal." (It isn't.)

It isn't unheard of either.

According to this, only Robert Downey Jr. got to see the full script during the production of Avengers: Endgame, which is a massive success. Members of the cast are only given scripts that are important to their storyline, which seems like what Naomie Harris is dealing with here. It wasn't an issue there, why is it now?
    This is normal practice in case of mega franchises with millions of obsessed fans around the globe who are addicted to leaks. Bond is different. Most Bond fans are casual fans, nothing more. There are very few of us, hardcore fans. Compare the size of Game of Thrones, or Marvel or Star Wars subreddits to the Bond subreddit.

@PanchitoPistoles You can't base a fanbase size on fan reddit alone alot of people are die hard Bond fans just because your a casual fan or what have you doesn't mean we are all like you not trying get personal or anything.

You're delusional if you think Bond has a hardcore fan base at this point comparable to what Marvel has.

@QuantumArt did I say I was comparing I just said we don't know how many people are fans there are alot of Bond fans alot of Marvel fans and Star Wars fans to say we know how many is foolish could there be more these fans then these fans we don't know we can try to guess but we don't know for sure I'm not delusional you were missing the point. I mean yeah you can look at Box office numbers but that just for the fans who show up to theaters some people are just fans of the old films and some were apart of the franchise and are waiting for DC to leave. The end of the day who really gives a rip as long as everyone is happy and keep making good content for the movie public. No one is delusional it's all opinion based. And not a really fair comparison its multiple properties into one big one vs big single properties its apples and oranges.
    octofinger wrote: »
    What a thankless bastard he turned out to be. Anyone who writes for the likes of these tabloids can't be trusted, not one bit. They sell their souls, they do. And turn their coats at an ease.

Steady on - journalism is a brutal business these days and beggars, frankly, can't often be choosers.

That is not journalism. That article - if I can even call it an article - is not journalism. It's a speculative piece of drama, poorly written, on a poor platform, on a tabloid. Journalism is not a brutal business these days, journalism mostly doesn't exist these days. These days, as you say, all you get is the likes of fake news, click bait innuendos and trash/destruction pieces. The language these so called journos, with degrees from the thousands of journalism degrees out there, use, is frankly appalling. And their sense of morality is as steady as a windsock. Same can be said for many other liberal professions. I get that the new gen working on these new platforms brings a new vision on the matter, a myopic one IMO, but to see the likes of Baz giving in to the new order of things is frankly embarrassing. The guy is old enough to know better. If he was good enough we wouldn't have to beg, as you say.

That being said. I trust the writers and their comments on the script. No good writer would talk up a bad script if his or her name was directly linked to it.

I'm in good spirits about Bond25, no washed up journalist with a trash piece is going to change that.

• edited May 2019 Posts: 2,436

From Russia with Love (a Bond classic) also wasn't without its problems and needed some skillful editing from Peter Hunt in post to make it work. And Dr. No's villain was originally going to be a monkey!
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,126

From Russia with Love (a Bond classic) also wasn't without its problems and needed some skillful editing from Peter Hunt in post to make it work. And Dr. No's villain was originally going to be a monkey!

@BonSimonLeBon_1 didn't Director Terrence Young crash into the lake in a helicopter filming the end of From Russia With Love too and he kept working like 30 minutes after the incident?

@BonSimonLeBon_1 didn't Director Terrence Young crash into the lake in a helicopter filming the end of From Russia With Love too and he kept working like 30 minutes after the incident?

Yes he did indeed. And whilst scouting for locations for YOLT, Broccoli, Saltzman, Gilbert and Ken Adam missed their flight to check out another potential location. Their original plane crashed, I think with no survivors.

Yes he did indeed. And whilst scouting for locations for YOLT, Broccoli, Saltzman, Gilbert and Ken Adam missed their flight to check out another potential location. Their original plane crashed, I think with no survivors.

Yeah I remember that from the documentary.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    octofinger wrote: »

That is not journalism. That article - if I can even call it an article - is not journalism. It's a speculative piece of drama, poorly written, on a poor platform, on a tabloid. Journalism is not a brutal business these days, journalism mostly doesn't exist these days. These days, as you say, all you get is the likes of fake news, click bait innuendos and trash/destruction pieces. The language these so called journos, with degrees from the thousands of journalism degrees out there, use, is frankly appalling. And their sense of morality is as steady as a windsock. Same can be said for many other liberal professions. I get that the new gen working on these new platforms brings a new vision on the matter, a myopic one IMO, but to see the likes of Baz giving in to the new order of things is frankly embarrassing. The guy is old enough to know better. If he was good enough we wouldn't have to beg, as you say.

That being said. I trust the writers and their comments on the script. No good writer would talk up a bad script if his or her name was directly linked to it.

I'm in good spirits about Bond25, no washed up journalist with a trash piece is going to change that.

That's true
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,619
    The reaction to Baz were so utterly predictable and sad. He has an excellent track record but now that he wrote a negative story about Bond 25, he is suddenly not trustworthy, has an inflated ego, and is a thankless bastard?? Have you guys heard of the term "don't shoot the messenger"? Don't you think your anger should be perhaps directed at EON for not learning their lesson after the messy script writing process of Spectre?
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Almost all productions have re-writes of various degrees through out production, it is completely standard.
    Here we go again... "This is completely normal, nothing to see here! Disperse!"

For the umpteenth time, there is a huge difference between starting filming with a more or less finished script, and then doing small rewrites during filming AND starting filming with a completely unfinished script and having to write a significant portion of the script after filming has begun.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    The reaction to Baz were so utterly predictable and sad. He has an excellent track record but now that he wrote a negative story about Bond 25, he is suddenly not trustworthy, has an inflated ego, and is a thankless bastard?? Have you guys heard of the term "don't shoot the messenger"? Don't you think your anger should be perhaps directed at EON for not learning their lesson after the messy script writing process of Spectre?
    Almost all productions have re-writes of various degrees through out production, it is completely standard.

For the umpteenth time, there is a huge difference between starting filming with a more or less finished script, and then doing small rewrites during filming AND starting filming with a completely unfinished script and having to write a significant portion of the script after filming has begun.

But it is all speculation and rumors so far. Why directing any anger at all? There will be a new Bond movie out next year (no speculation) and that should make us as fans happy! We all should judge after we‘ve seen the final movie.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,497

None of TEH DOOME UND GLOOME has been confirmed.

Why some of us here start panic any time a so called "scoop" comes up is beyond my comprehension. That includes the latest, ahem, news from this Baz character.

@JamesCraig Baz has been consistently correct for many many years. He has genuine sources. His sources are now saying they started filming Bond 25 with a messy script. You will never get more confirmation than this. EON isn't going to announce that yes, the script is in a bad shape. Is there a reason to panic? Of coure not, for two reasons: 1. it's just a movie, and 2. as I have said before, they sky already fell many many months ago.

Why is it so hard to say that yes, there is a real possiblity that Bond 25 will be bad, but it's not the end of the world?

@PanchitoPistoles is right.

There is a sense of confirmation bias here. People will believe the news when it suits what they want to hear.

However, there is reason to be skeptical about Baz this cycle. He missed pretty much every major Bond 25 casting scoop - something he excelled at with both SF and SP. The only news he broke was the re-involvement of Seydoux (which he only got from an interview with Fukunaga). Furthermore, his scoop about Nyong'o was buried so deep in a news article that it hardly registered (perhaps a sign that he knew it wouldn't pan out).

The truth is, Baz is very reliable. However, I suspect his connection with Bond came from SONY. Now things are run by UNIVERSAL his scoops have dried up.

I don't doubt that Bond 25 is being rewritten. I do doubt they only have an outline. I suspect that Waller-Bridge has finished her work and Fukunaga is working overtime in the evenings and weekends getting the scenes into shape.

In Fukunaga I trust
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited May 2019 Posts: 467
    Baz has had zero other real scoop about Bond 25 so far, while he shared, at the same point in production, actual info about Skyfall and Spectre, for instance about casting.
    His last actual scoop is now 4 or 5-year-old. It’s totally fair to consider that he may have lost his insider status since then, and that he’s now out of the loop, something he would then be reluctant to admit.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @JamesCraig Baz has been consistently correct for many many years. He has genuine sources. His sources are now saying they started filming Bond 25 with a messy script. You will never get more confirmation than this. EON isn't going to announce that yes, the script is in a bad shape. Is there a reason to panic? Of coure not, for two reasons: 1. it's just a movie, and 2. as I have said before, they sky already fell many many months ago?

+1.

There's no reason to panic, but at the same time you can't blame Baz for expressing his concerns about EON's modus operandi.
    @JamesCraig Baz has been consistently correct for many many years. He has genuine sources. His sources are now saying they started filming Bond 25 with a messy script. You will never get more confirmation than this. EON isn't going to announce that yes, the script is in a bad shape. Is there a reason to panic? Of coure not, for two reasons: 1. it's just a movie, and 2. as I have said before, they sky already fell many many months ago.

Why is it so hard to say that yes, there is a real possiblity that Bond 25 will be bad, but it's not the end of the world?

What did you expect Pnachito ? The amount of bias here is incredible, as soon as something negative comes out about everyone’s favourite franchise, they all go into denial. I wish these people could look at things from a broader perspective and see how immature they are