Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I preferred Infinity War, Winter Soldier and Avengers Assemble to Endgame on first viewings.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Endgame is far above Infinity War and galaxies above Age of Ultron.

I'd rank them in the following manner:

1. Avengers: Endgame
    2. The Avengers
    3. Avengers: Infinity War
    4. Avengers: Age of Ultron

I'm even tempted to remove 'Age of Ultron' from my Avengers ranking as I only saw it once and I barely remember anything from it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

2. The Avengers

I'm even tempted to remove 'Age of Ultron' from my Avengers ranking as I only saw it once and I barely remember anything from it.
    +1
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is set to start production next year. Marvel will film Black Widow, The Eternals and Shang-Chi this year, in that specific order I listed.

I hope they bring back Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh & Ving Rhames in meatier role this time 'round, as well as a certain character seen in Avengers: Endgame.

James Gunn will surely be a busy man, as The Suicide Squad will go into production in late 2019, so he'll basically be jumping straight back to the Guardians once he wraps up his DCEU film.

http://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-filming-date/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is set to start production next year. Marvel will film Black Widow, The Eternals and Shang-Chi this year, in that specific order I listed.

I hope they bring back Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh & Ving Rhames in meatier role this time 'round, as well as a certain character seen in Avengers: Endgame.

James Gunn will surely be a busy man, as The Suicide Squad will go into production in late 2019, so he'll basically be jumping straight back to the Guardians once he wraps up his DCEU film.

http://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-filming-date/

Of all those only Black Widow is of any interest.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    After Endgame, I wonder if
    Thor will be in Guardians 3.

2. The Avengers

I don't know how I'd rank them in the MCU as a whole, but here is how I would rank them.
    01. Infinity War
    02. Endgame
    03. Civil War
    04. The Avengers
    05. Age of Ultron

As can be seen I think Civil War is a better Avengers movie than Age of Ultron, and flip flops between the first Avengers. I think on multiple rewatches Endgame could jump ahead of Infinity War, but as of right now this is how it is.
    I'm a comik book collector, love the Marvel Universe. I was looking foward to see Endgame. Infinity War was one of the best 5 movies I ever saw.
    Saw Endgame, got out of the theater dissapointed. I agree that there were some awesome scenes; Tony Stark's physical condition (Downey's acting, always perfect) after being rescued, Captain America twirling Mjolnir, Scarlet Witch finally confronting Thanos being another... However, 5 days after viewing, I can't still forgive what they did to Thor. The enormous beer belly is funny for about 2 minutes, however, after 90 minutes of beer belly going into battle with Thanos, wielding 2 hammers with a gigantic beer belly is downright insulting to the character, and remove The God of Thunder as a threat to Thanos.
    Also, they just can't seem to understand the Hulk right. Of all the Marvel movies, only the first Avengers came close. Mark Ruffalo is no Edward Norton, and is pitiful as Bruce Banner, and again, the Hulk sees not action. I got that the Hulk got a trashing from Thanos in Infinty War in order to establish Thanos as a MAJOR, credible threat, but I always thought that Hulk would have a rematch in Endgame in which he would more than hold his own.

No such climatic moment ever came.
    Endgame does not deserve more than a 6.5 out of 10.

@LeonardPine "Boy the first half was incredibly slow"

The perfect example of how art is purely about opinion. The first act was the strongest IMHO. Something that puts this series above so many is that it spends time investigating and illustrating the characters and their relationships within the team. On this basis, when we do see, for example, Spiderman die in Ironman's arms at the end of IW, it actually means something. You have to invest time in building character (Star Trek did this very well). Also, you have to be consistant with the characters but also have an arc that is believable (hence why many fans hated Last Jedi).

If you want the audience to have emotional involvement, then they must be connected with the characters and this is where the writers have done such a great job IMHO.

PS I watched Rocky again last week and it's amazing in that people think of it as a boxing movie but 80% of the movie is about Rocky and his relationship with Adrian. Without learning about our hero and growing to like him, the actual boxing means little. The same applies to all movies including Endgame. The fact that it ias breaking box office records at 3 hours long is very encouraging in that it shows that punters are happy to watch things build up, ready for the big pay offs.
    the girl in front of me was openly weaping at the end, thats what great cinema is all about

Loved Endgame. I'm a Marvel agnostic, but the Russo brothers always make something that marries together the costumed histrionics with more grounded, socio-political and character-driven drama. Never pumped my fist and slapped my thigh in a film.

I mean it didn't make a lick of sense if you really break it down and think of the plot. But it's a film built to be enjoyed in the moment.

Big spoiler below:
    The film continues the theme of giving a character a definitive 'ending'. There is a melancholic edge to the film that is very reminiscent of Logan. Now that both Wolverine and Iron Man have died on film. Is Bond next?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    patb wrote: »
    @LeonardPine "Boy the first half was incredibly slow"

The perfect example of how art is purely about opinion. The first act was the strongest IMHO. Something that puts this series above so many is that it spends time investigating and illustrating the characters and their relationships within the team. On this basis, when we do see, for example, Spiderman die in Ironman's arms at the end of IW, it actually means something. You have to invest time in building character (Star Trek did this very well). Also, you have to be consistant with the characters but also have an arc that is believable (hence why many fans hated Last Jedi).

If you want the audience to have emotional involvement, then they must be connected with the characters and this is where the writers have done such a great job IMHO.

PS I watched Rocky again last week and it's amazing in that people think of it as a boxing movie but 80% of the movie is about Rocky and his relationship with Adrian. Without learning about our hero and growing to like him, the actual boxing means little. The same applies to all movies including Endgame. The fact that it ias breaking box office records at 3 hours long is very encouraging in that it shows that punters are happy to watch things build up, ready for the big pay offs.
    the girl in front of me was openly weaping at the end, thats what great cinema is all about

I understand we need to be invested in the characters but it's not like these characters are new to this film. We've had multiple films to get to know them to the point Tony Stark for me was becoming a tiresome jackass and i really can't stand what they've done with Peter Parker. Just my opinion of course.

What i found tedious about the first half of the film was that it bordered on parody a lot of the time and the business with a slobbish Thor was embarrassingly stupid.

Probably why i much prefer the straight tone of The Winter Soldier.

I will be watching this film again in the next few days as it was a lot to take in on one viewing so my opinion could change. I still enjoyed the film so i hope a second viewing will improve it even more.
    @LeonardPine
    But Stark's story arc moved forward a fair deal in the five years. He was not the same character that we saw in the original Iron Man series. His priorities had changed and he had more to lose. They had to show him at home with the family to show this change. They do change the tone of each movie which is brave and will lead fans to having clear favourites. IW is mine, I agree WS is also very good
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2019 Posts: 15,423
    You know? Now that the second Spider-Man is said to be concluding the third phase, I don't see the logic in it. How is it the conclusion to the third phase when it takes place after Endgame that bears no significance to the infinity stones? Or Thanos' involvement? It clearly screams "new beginnings" to me judging by the premise they gave and the trailer.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You know? Now that the second Spider-Man is said to be concluding the third phase, I don't see the logic in it. How is it the conclusion to the third phase when it takes place after Endgame that bears no significance to the infinity stones? Or Thanos' involvement? It clearly screams "new beginnings" to me judging by the premise they gave and the trailer.

I'm assuming that it deals with the direct aftermath of Endgame, and then sets up the events of Phase 4. I see Far From Home as the two hour post credits scene of Endgame, the epilogue to the whole Infinity Saga.
    2nd trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home is coming later this week.
    After Endgame, I wonder if
    Thor will be in Guardians 3.

I hope so :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,407
    I am wondering if Far From Home teases The Xmen or The Fantastic Four the latter would make more sense. Or perhaps tease the next 22 films big bad, maybe Norrin Radd will appear. Pure speculation obviously.

I don't think the next MCU Saga will be...
    ... Avengers centric though the surviving Marvel Characters who have been in the Avengers will still be around.
    Have purposely ignored all comments on this thread as going to see Endgame on Friday. So will post my thoughts over the weekend? Really looking forward to it!!!
    I am wondering if Far From Home teases The Xmen or The Fantastic Four the latter would make more sense. Or perhaps tease the next 22 films big bad, maybe Norrin Radd will appear. Pure speculation obviously.

Doubtful. It would have been filmed before the finalized Fox deal.

It would not take much to tag on a post credit scene
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Definitely interested in Black Widow film in future, and maybe see a Guardians of the Galaxy; but not really excited, except BW could be good.

I think End Games did what it needed to do, really well told. It seems like a high bar, to try to give us a great follow up to everything that Infinity Wars threw at us.

It would not take much to tag on a post credit scene

While true, it would be very last second, thrown in not to service the plot but to say to fans "Look who we can play with!"
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Saw Endgame last night. Really good movie - didn't feel long although there were times it slowed down, but it was necessary. The ending... it was like watching the series finale of your favorite show. You wish it would continue forever.
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    Saw Endgame last night. Really good movie - didn't feel long although there were times it slowed down, but it was necessary. The ending... it was like watching the series finale of your favorite show. You wish it would continue forever.
    What I find most Incredible About the end of Endgame is that it made me very sad, but depressed. I went out with a good Feeling.

Another very clever thing that the writers have done is to add ellements from other genres so it can go mainstream and far beyond the conventional audience.
    My wife loved the movie and enjoyed the character arc of Capt America. Essentially, this is a story of romance. It's done really well and something I never saw coming. It's just an additional 2 mins but it puts the whole of the Capt America series into perspective whilst, at the same time, finding a way of saying goodbye to the character in a warm and positive vibe
    In France, Avengers : Endgame has managed to attract 3 348 471 viewers in one week, which puts it in first position for said week, and third overall. BTW, that's more than Captain Marvel has managed in eight weeks (3 240 012 seats sold, if you must know).

jpbox-office.com/charts_france.php?filtre=datefr&infla=0&variable=2019
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My second viewing of Endgame has elevated the film in my estimation. Great stuff and it seemed to go quicker second time around. My wife loved it on her first viewing.
    Spider-Man: Far From Home officially clocking in at 2 hours & 15 minutes. This is 2 minutes longer than 2017's Homecoming.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    My second viewing of Endgame has elevated the film in my estimation. Great stuff and it seemed to go quicker second time around. My wife loved it on her first viewing.
    I've heard this from other people as well that it gets better with multiple viewings. I thought it was great the first time so I don't know how it can get better now that I know how it plays out.
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    I've heard this from other people as well that it gets better with multiple viewings. I thought it was great the first time so I don't know how it can get better now that I know how it plays out.

Simple: you know the plot, now you'll be looking for the little details.