Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,131
    Benny wrote: »
    Turner has all the attributes to be a potentially good Bond. Age, looks, acting ability.
    But is he on EON's radar, and will the studio go with him. He has to date carried no major movie. That would be my only concern with him. He's not a box office draw.
    Do any of our American members know much about him?
    This is why, despite many not wanting him, the likes of Chris Hemsworth are more likely options. He's known, and he's got box office draw. This is based on his Marvel appearances, but if he was the next Bond, he'd be easier to sell and promote.
    I do hope that Turner get's a chance to audition though.

Bar Roger Moore, no Bond actor was a proven 'Box Office draw' when they were cast. I personally don't want a big name....the Bond brand is a big enough 'draw'. Daniel Craig certainly wasn't an American household name.

Chris Hemsworth is not likely, he's not a great actor, he's expensive and he's not British.

If your talking of a Marvel star with box office draw, the more suitable Hiddleston is the obvious choice. Hemsworth (apart from being handsome) has none of the attributes of a Bond actor, literally none.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While well known, just how much of a box office draw was Rog? Prior to Bond, I don’t see where his presence alone brought the general public to the theater.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Don't know how much of a name he had in the US prior to Bond, but in Europe he was already known for The Saint and The Persuaders!. Not movies of course, but both series were very popular.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Saint alone was a global sensation and part of the sixties’ pop culture. So, yes. He was quite a box office draw.
  • Chris Hemsworth looks really Bond in Men in black trailer
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Chris Hemsworth looks really Bond in Men in black trailer

He looks like a surfer in a suit

Shrugs to each his or her own but Hemsworth wouldn't be aweful
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

As is maybe. But he looks good in a suit. He’s not buffed like his Marvel alter ego, and is a household name.
    Whilst it is not written, after a more Flemingesque Bond we get a more movie star Bond.
    Dalton
    Brosnan
    Craig
    ???

With Hemsworth saying he’d like to play Bond could be advantageous for EON.
    Isnt he quitting the Thor role as well,or did I mishear that ?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Turner has all the attributes to be a potentially good Bond. Age, looks, acting ability.
    But is he on EON's radar, and will the studio go with him. He has to date carried no major movie. That would be my only concern with him. He's not a box office draw.
    Do any of our American members know much about him?
    This is why, despite many not wanting him, the likes of Chris Hemsworth are more likely options. He's known, and he's got box office draw. This is based on his Marvel appearances, but if he was the next Bond, he'd be easier to sell and promote.
    I do hope that Turner get's a chance to audition though.

Bar Roger Moore, no Bond actor was a proven 'Box Office draw' when they were cast. I personally don't want a big name....the Bond brand is a big enough 'draw'. Daniel Craig certainly wasn't an American household name.

Chris Hemsworth is not likely, he's not a great actor, he's expensive and he's not British.

If your talking of a Marvel star with box office draw, the more suitable Hiddleston is the obvious choice. Hemsworth (apart from being handsome) has none of the attributes of a Bond actor, literally none.

And I'd add to this that even Roger Moore was a tv star, casting him was still a gamble as he has been untested on a movie franchise like Bond. Furthermore, he was cast at a time when Sean Connery was still perceived as potentially irreplaceable.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 7,891
    The Saint alone was a global sensation and part of the sixties’ pop culture. So, yes. He was quite a box office draw.

I understand that he was a worldwide television star,but prior to Bond, in what theatrical films did he star where he was the main draw ?
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 19,339

Looks good :

Men_in_Black_International.jpg

53ff19be-bc24-47fe-a7ec-b93edd8e667d-untitled.png?w=1020&h=574&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQjeYyqE3QUXjn1eiPxCNnUEAooJjo43Od8YlqRzaAyt0H9hkueg

1_GQ-Men-Of-The-Year-Awards-2018-Red-Carpet-Arrivals.jpg
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Not really feeling Hemsworth. He's a decent enough actor but he doesn't scream Bond to me. I know people will take issue, but Henry Cavill is still my number one pick. With Aiden Turner second.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    It will never be Hemsworth, come on people. Babs favours 'under the radar-ish' names and Hemsworth is Hollywood A list. Sure he could do it, but is he Bond...Truly? I think most of us know the answer to that.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Shrugs to each his or her own but Hemsworth wouldn't be aweful

He looks like an Australian surfer in a suit. Not an Etonian Brit.

Hemsworth would be awful.

Again, apart from being Handsome, there is nothing about him that qualifies him for the Bond role. Nothing.

That was my thoughts.

That was my thoughts.

As I asked, what significant success did he have specifically at the Boxoffice in a theatrically released film, particularly one where he was the main draw?

talos7 wrote: »

That was my thoughts.

As I asked, what significant success did he have specifically at the Boxoffice in a theatrically released film, particularly one where he was the main draw?

I’m not sure TBH and your probably right that he wasn’t deemed a ‘movie star’.

As such it strengthens my point, I personally don't want a big name....the Bond brand is a big enough 'draw'. Daniel Craig certainly wasn't an American household name.

Certainly not a slightly wooden Australian Star like Hemsworth! ‘Surfer in a suit’ as perfectly put by @JeremyBondon.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That was my thoughts.

As such it strengthens my point, I personally don't want a big name....the Bond brand is a big enough 'draw'. Daniel Craig certainly wasn't an American household name.

Certainly not a slightly wooden Australian Star like Hemsworth! ‘Surfer in a suit’ as perfectly put by @JeremyBondon.

Like Lazenby?
    edited April 2019 Posts: 7,891
    A flawless accent is a very important quality for @suavejmf . That is not a criticism in any way; it’s completely understandable but maybe not as high on the list for some others.
    Lazenby’s dodgy accent doesn’t bother me at all; he had a good voice.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,882
    I wouldn't be against another Austrailian actor, but not Hemsworth. There, I would have to agree with the 'surfer dude' comments, he does have that look. I meant that in no way as an insult, I have family living in Austrailia.

As for Box Office and Bond actors, none of them were big box office draws when cast. Moore and Brosnan were probably the two most popular when cast... but their popularity stemmed mostly from tv. So I don't see why Turner should be ruled on that front.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,131

That was my thoughts.

Like Lazenby?

Lazenby was ok in a brilliant film. He was very good in the action scenes, in the more vulnerable scenes and he looked the part. But his accent and walk let him down. He certainly wasn’t a surfer in a suit though, no. In general he did a great job in the shadow of Connery.
    A flawless accent is a very important quality for @suavejmf . That is not a criticism in any way; it’s completely understandable but maybe not as high on the list for some others.

That’s true and I respect your opinion.

That’s true and I respect your opinion.

As I yours :D

I kinda like how Lazenby walked/moved in OHMSS. Can't say the same about his accent.

As for Hemsworth, I also see him too "surfer dude"-like. Can totally see him in any Hollywood blockbuster though, but not Bond.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I can't believe Dan Stevens doesn't get more love on here. The Guest screamed Bond audition to me. Saying that, I doubt it's anyone that's on our radar for Bond number (00)7. Ok, I'll say Jack Lowden. Lol. He's currently 28. That makes him young enough for a big delay.
    I can't believe Dan Stevens doesn't get more love on here. The Guest screamed Bond audition to me. Saying that, I doubt it's anyone that's on our radar for Bond number (00)7. Ok, I'll say Jack Lowden. Lol. He's currently 28. That makes him young enough for a big delay.

Wouldn't be against Dan Stevens. Being part of a hit series like Downton Abbey doesn't hurt box office either.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 5,767
    How About Brosnan? I don´t think you call that an Accent, but he didn´t Sound particularly British to me.

@DrClatterhand, I wouldn´t mind Dan Stevens at all. That being said, I´m surprised at how much my opinion of Turner turned around. In the past I didn´t think much of him, now I tend to see some very cool reminiscence of Connery and Dalton in him.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,241

Joanna Lumley prefers Hiddleston:
    “So I think we should keep looking for that. I always thought Tom Hiddleston would be brilliant after The Night Manager. I thought that boy could do it, with his thin, cold face.

“I said that to Tom. But it’s not up to me, it’s up to Barbara Broccoli.”