No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Due to the defining silence about this film I don't even care anymore at this point. There are too many other great things happening in entertainment that has pushed James Bond (sadly) to the sidelines. If, as a hardcore fan, EON has managed to relegate my passions for a film franchise that has been a big part of my life for decades to such a state, imagine how limp general audiences are towards Bond these days.

How are audiences limp to Bond these days? CR was a big commercial hit, so was QOS, SF crossed 1 billion and became the UK's top grossing film, and SP made $800 odd million at the BO. That is not limp.

It's a constantly evolving marketplace.

In the time since SP came out - we have seen nearly the entirety of a new Star Wars trilogy (amongst numerous spin-offs) which have captured internet conversation in a big way. We have seen the Marvel universe go from strength to strength. We have also seen the car crash of DC (which is too fascinating not to watch).

Big-franchise-film audiences have all but forgotten about Bond with so much other big shiny movies to watch.

Then you have the rise (and domination) of Netflix. There's a wealth of entertainment at my fingertips. Plus, everyone is talking about such-and-such show, so naturally you don't want to miss out.

Aside from this forum, no one is speaking about Bond 25. If people are talking about Bond it's only in relation to Craig's replacement.

Momentum for this film with audiences is close to nil. And to be honest, even I'm growing past caring.

+1
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I am somewhat inclined to agree about audience perspectives on Bond. Most people don't even know there's a Bond 25 coming out next year. And I also have to agree that those who are talking about Bond are most likely discussing the replacement for Craig. Again, most people probably aren't even aware Craig is still in the role.

EON needs to wake up and light a fire under their marketing department. It's quite pitiful.
    This bullet catcher joins the new MI6 podcast to chat all things BOND 25 including some thoughts on timings of announcements, press calls and production parameters which *might* put some fan panic at rest... as there ain't much to be fretting over right now when it comes to our man James...

JAMES BOND & FRIENDS - Episode 5

Great job, loved this episode but have to ask...
    Is Bond going to survive B25? It’s hard to read the between lines on what was mentioned there.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Due to the defining silence about this film I don't even care anymore at this point. There are too many other great things happening in entertainment that has pushed James Bond (sadly) to the sidelines. If, as a hardcore fan, EON has managed to relegate my passions for a film franchise that has been a big part of my life for decades to such a state, imagine how limp general audiences are towards Bond these days.

How are audiences limp to Bond these days? CR was a big commercial hit, so was QOS, SF crossed 1 billion and became the UK's top grossing film, and SP made $800 odd million at the BO. That is not limp.

It's actually quite bizarre how much money Bond manages to make. There's no real long term discussion or excitement about Bond outside of fan forums. Perhaps we just all know who James Bond is automatically, much like Rolex doesn't need to advertise. When movie goers go to the cinema, and pick James Bond to watch, they can guarantee to be entertained. That can't be said for other films, even if they are critically acclaimed.

I think the audiences are simply different. Millennial and Gen Z aren't as into Bond as older generations are, like Boomers and Gen X. Go on any forum, and you'll notice this. I think I can count with one hand how many people under 25 there are on this forum itself.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 53
    But, to play devil's advocate, It is rather difficult to market for a movie a year from release, which hasn't even started filming with its principle cast yet, which only recently had its script looked over by a fixer, which may not even have an officially decided title. In fact, as others have mentioned, I believe right now would be the worst possible time to release anything marketable with all the hype going on with regards to other cult icons, it would get lost in the haze. And yes I know its disheartening that it's been so long, but I still fully expect (and I imagine it's the intention of the producers) that on the day of the press conference or publicity announcement or whatever it will be dressed up as, Bond will be making the headlines on the news outlets (after all, the clue is rather in the name - press conference is about capturing the attention of the press, as beneficial as it also seems to be to a lot of the fans) . The biggest marketing ploy with this one after all should rather be playing on the fact its likely to be Daniels Craig's swansong (play on words - would this make a bad title all rumours considered?) And sometimes it's about playing the situation right, rather than going through the motions.

And I agree with regard to different generations creating different audiences. Whereas I will always maintain Dalton was ahead of his time, Brosnan for example was the right Bond for the 90s as Craig was right for the turn of the millennium. I'm sure the producers will deliberate considerably over the next Bond and the direction they'll be taken in. As they have before. And as they've learnt before, they can't please everyone.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Wise words @HalfOfEverything and welcome to the forum.
    There won’t be change from eon unless the box office comes in low. I doubt b25 will hit a billion. They’ll be lucky to hit 700 with the current marketing and delay.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    There won’t be change from eon unless the box office comes in low. I doubt b25 will hit a billion. They’ll be lucky to hit 700 with the current marketing and delay.

DAD did great at the Boxoffice and a change was made.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    The cinematographer said they start in April, so they start in April.
    That was before they moved the release date to April 2020. Now they can afford to start filming a bit later.

@Risico007 What panic? They will have plenty of time to finish the movie if they start filming in June.

Btw, the Caribbean hurricane season ends around early November, so it's safe to say filming in Jamaica will begin only after that. So if you consider that filming will take about 6 months and that it will not end by early November, it seems like a safe bet that filming will NOT begin before June.

Bond goes up against a hurricane now that is something we haven't seen =))
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126

@Tuck91 Bond 25 will hit a billion because of the Easter date and the long gap you look at the history of bond and every long gap the next bond made a ton more. Regardless if it doesn't get to a billion it will be very close
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541
    I just hope title sounds like it's going to be a finale and I hope they use something that this is going to be DC'S last bond film in marketing. And yes I still believe that this film will earn 1 billion.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    The cinematographer said they start in April, so they start in April.
    That was before they moved the release date to April 2020. Now they can afford to start filming a bit later.

@Risico007 What panic? They will have plenty of time to finish the movie if they start filming in June.

Btw, the Caribbean hurricane season ends around early November, so it's safe to say filming in Jamaica will begin only after that. So if you consider that filming will take about 6 months and that it will not end by early November, it seems like a safe bet that filming will NOT begin before June.

Bond goes up against a hurricane now that is something we haven't seen =))

Living in New Orleans, I’m very familiar with Hurricane season. Things don’t really heat up until later in the season. I don’t see it effecting any plans to film there prior to August.

The biggest marketing ploy with this one after all should rather be playing on the fact its likely to be Daniels Craig's swansong (play on words - would this make a bad title all rumours considered?) And sometimes it's about playing the situation right, rather than going through the motions.

As they have before. And as they've learnt before, they can't please everyone.

It's not about pleasing people; it's about adapting to the times. Ironically this is something the cinematic Bond has always done and hence the longevity. However, EON seems complacent, clueless, and unable to get with the program of what modern audiences expect. Again, I'll mention the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), which is the current champ of Hollywood.

Since 2008 the MCU has cranked out 21 films (soon to be 23) and in that same time period Bond has had 3. 3!!! It's a disgrace, honestly, and frustrating that fans like us have been strung along like this with nothing. They delay, they sputter around, switching this, dropping that. They need to get their act together or after Craig leaves it's game over. Seriously, after Bond #7 has his breakthrough and initial hype I predict the series will fall by the wayside. They'll either cast a black or female actor and then fall prey to the same SLW nonsense Star Wars, Dr. Who, and Star Trek have.

The world is a much different place than it was in 1962; hell, even since 2012. Bond's owners have not gotten it into their heads times have changed and that audiences expect more communication.
    I think there selling or babs may stay on as a consultant. I think the reason Craig is back on is because they don’t want to go througg the trouble of a new actor and era.
  • RC7RC7
    The biggest marketing ploy with this one after all should rather be playing on the fact its likely to be Daniels Craig's swansong (play on words - would this make a bad title all rumours considered?) And sometimes it's about playing the situation right, rather than going through the motions.

It's not about pleasing people; it's about adapting to the times. Ironically this is something the cinematic Bond has always done and hence the longevity. However, EON seems complacent, clueless, and unable to get with the program of what modern audiences expect. Again, I'll mention the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), which is the current champ of Hollywood.

Since 2008 the MCU has cranked out 21 films (soon to be 23) and in that same time period Bond has had 3. 3!!! It's a disgrace, honestly, and frustrating that fans like us have been strung along like this with nothing. They delay, they sputter around, switching this, dropping that. They need to get their act together or after Craig leaves it's game over. Seriously, after Bond #7 has his breakthrough and initial hype I predict the series will fall by the wayside. They'll either cast a black or female actor and then fall prey to the same SLW nonsense Star Wars, Dr. Who, and Star Trek have.

The world is a much different place than it was in 1962; hell, even since 2012. Bond's owners have not gotten it into their heads times have changed and that audiences expect more communication.

All of this is wrong. Sorry.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    I think there selling or babs may stay on as a consultant. I think the reason Craig is back on is because they don’t want to go througg the trouble of a new actor and era.

The reason Craig is back is because he and eon realized that spectre was not the best film for Craig to end his tenure on, Craig even said it himself on Colbert that he wanted to go out on a high note! As for eon selling trust me babs isn't going anywhere after B25!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Look at how long it's taken for B25 to get going. Can you imagine how long of a wait it'll be for B26? I'm glad Craig will be done after B25 so I don't have to go through all of this torture again.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Look at how long it's taken for B25 to get going. Can you imagine how long of a wait it'll be for B26? I'm glad Craig will be done after B25 so I don't have to go through all of this torture again.

Exactly.
    Well, hopefully Bond 26 will be produced by more competent people and the making of it will be much smoother than this mess.
    Well, hopefully Bond 26 will be produced by more competent people and the making of it will be much smoother than this mess.

since it will be produced by the same people lets see what happens
    Risico007 wrote: »

since it will be produced by the same people lets see what happens
    if I had to guess b26 isn’t coming until 2024/2025 at the earliest

• edited April 2019 Posts: 53
    @The_Reaper I respect the points you're making truely I do, there is aspects I agree with and I'll fully embrace the idea that it has been a rather long gap comparable to how things used to work . But comparing Eon, a company with one reliant character and a wide history of studio issues (and therefore funding issues) to the MCU that has more properties than people could list and a seemingly unlimited bank account is rather like comparing a kettle to a washing machine. They're both useful kitchen appliances, but one couldn't do what the other could.

Also thanks for the kind words and welcome @Benny :)
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    @The_Reaper I respect the points you're making truely I do, there is aspects I agree with and I'll fully embrace the idea that it has been a rather long gap comparable to how things used to work . But comparing Eon, a company with one reliant character and a wide history of studio issues (and therefore funding issues) to the MCU that has more properties than people could list and a seemingly unlimited bank account is rather like comparing a kettle to a washing machine. They're both useful kitchen appliances, but one couldn't do what the other could.

Absolutely correct. EoN is an entirely different animal.
  • RC7RC7

Correct. Sadly it will fall on deaf ears. The point has been made so many times.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Since 2008 the MCU has cranked out 21 films (soon to be 23) and in that same time period Bond has had 3. 3!!! It's a disgrace, honestly, and frustrating that fans like us have been strung along like this with nothing. They delay, they sputter around, switching this, dropping that. They need to get their act together or after Craig leaves it's game over. Seriously, after Bond #7 has his breakthrough and initial hype I predict the series will fall by the wayside. They'll either cast a black or female actor and then fall prey to the same SJW nonsense Star Wars, Dr. Who, and Star Trek have.

While I agree with some points, you are being very hypocritical. You want the Bond films to change, but not in the way you imagine? Representing the demography is a big modern step to take. The best candidate could come from any background, though I think keeping Bond male is essential and is a deep part of his character.

CR got a TON of free press when EON cast Daniel Craig as Bond. It sparked discussions both good and bad, and made fans passionate. I'm curious what will happen when Daniel is out. EON will need to make some major decisions about how to capture a new, growing audience.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    barryt007 wrote: »
    If Daniel Craig is indeed in London then surely the PC is happening soon,otherwise he would fly back to the US and then have to fly all the way back over again.

TBH, he does that all the time.
    TripAces wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    If Daniel Craig is indeed in London then surely the PC is happening soon,otherwise he would fly back to the US and then have to fly all the way back over again.

TBH, he does that all the time.

He may have come in for the Liverpool game as its a big one!!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Please watch out for cast n crew being flown to Jamaica in about a couple of weeks. That’s when the press conference will happen.
    peter wrote: »
    Please watch out for cast n crew being flown to Jamaica in about a couple of weeks. That’s when the press conference will happen.

Oooh!
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    peter wrote: »

So the press conference won't be taking place at Pinewood Studios?