CLOSED

1159160161162164

Comments

  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Posts: 6,838
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Only in the worst of Bond-films
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    isis is my idea of terrorists I don't know about yours
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Posts: 6,838
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    isis is my idea of terrorists I don't know about yours

    Anyone setting up a coupe of machine guns to mow down people at a concert, anyone who's running into a religious building shooting down anyone in his (most of the time his) path, anyone blowing him/herself up to make a religious or political point against unarmed civillians. The list is endless.



  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    isis is my idea of terrorists I don't know about yours

    It's a very literal statement. To some folks the IRA or JDL were terrorists, to others they were freedom fighters. Yes, Isis are terrorists to me. As I recall, Timothy Dalton as Bond makes the "one man's terrorist..." statement in The Living Daylights which I will have to disagree with @CommanderRoss regarding. I quite like that film, thanks. Again, I'm trying to make light of a serious matter and I hope you'll simply understand that on some topics, I must laugh or else I'll cry.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Posts: 6,838
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    isis is my idea of terrorists I don't know about yours

    It's a very literal statement. To some folks the IRA or JDL were terrorists, to others they were freedom fighters. Yes, Isis are terrorists to me. As I recall, Timothy Dalton as Bond makes the "one man's terrorist..." statement in The Living Daylights which I will have to disagree with @CommanderRoss regarding. I quite like that film, thanks. Again, I'm trying to make light of a serious matter and I hope you'll simply understand that on some topics, I must laugh or else I'll cry.

    I was referring to the homage-fest DAD.... ;-)
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    isis is my idea of terrorists I don't know about yours

    Anyone setting up a coupe of machine guns to mow down people at a concert, anyone who's running into a religious building shooting down anyone in his (most of the time his) path, anyone blowing him/herself up to make a religious or political point against unarmed civillians. The list is endless.



    Dare I add: anyone calling Neo-Nazis "some very fine people" is at the very least aiding & abetting terrorism.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    isis is my idea of terrorists I don't know about yours

    Anyone setting up a coupe of machine guns to mow down people at a concert, anyone who's running into a religious building shooting down anyone in his (most of the time his) path, anyone blowing him/herself up to make a religious or political point against unarmed civillians. The list is endless.



    Dare I add: anyone calling Neo-Nazis "some very fine people" is at the very least aiding & abetting terrorism.

    Yeah they aren't good either
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    drug cartels are probably terrorists too
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm not shooting at anybody (except Trump himself & there only figuratively.) I'm mostly just kidding around to make light of a very serious issue. I honestly do believe that the President of the US is under the thumb of a foreign power (whether for financial reasons or some other nefarious purpose) and that possibility really does worry me tremendously. So I make light banter at times. There was a guy who went & shot up a pizza parlor in --New Jersey, was it?-- because he seriously believed the lunatic theory about Hillary & child prostitution that was making the rounds on the internet awhile back. So I joke -- knowing full well that somebody out there is probably going to misunderstand me. But I'm not going to give up joking about serious stuff, "because that way the terrorists win." When in doubt regarding my postings, please refer to the words of Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in "Goldfinger:" "Some things just aren't done. It would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

    Ok who are the terrorists?

    Depends on your perspective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    isis is my idea of terrorists I don't know about yours

    It's a very literal statement. To some folks the IRA or JDL were terrorists, to others they were freedom fighters. Yes, Isis are terrorists to me. As I recall, Timothy Dalton as Bond makes the "one man's terrorist..." statement in The Living Daylights which I will have to disagree with @CommanderRoss regarding. I quite like that film, thanks. Again, I'm trying to make light of a serious matter and I hope you'll simply understand that on some topics, I must laugh or else I'll cry.

    I was referring to the homage-fest DAD.... ;-)

    Oh. Well in that case we are in complete agreement.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2019 Posts: 16,202
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    drug cartels are probably terrorists too

    That's very pejorative, I think. Some drug cartels are made up of very fine people... like Pfizer & Roche...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    Where is that Quote from the living daylights can't find it
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    drug cartels are probably terrorists too

    Mmm... terrorists usually have a political motive. Drug cartels are simply commercial enterprises using violence as a means of solving their problems. Like Sanchez in LTK. Lead or silver. And a genuine Felix Leiter...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I guess I thought maybe because Sanchez kind of takes over the island of Ismas the army and general and stuff but that's probably fantasy though
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 16,202
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I guess I thought maybe because Sanchez kind of takes over the island of Ismas the army and general and stuff but that's probably fantasy though

    Never tell me Bond is fantasy. Never.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    chrisisall wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I guess I thought maybe because Sanchez kind of takes over the island of Ismas the army and general and stuff but that's probably fantasy though

    Never tell me Bond is fantasy. Never.

    It's just my guess I don't really know what bond is either bond is bond really it's it's own category @chrisisall
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    chrisisall wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    drug cartels are probably terrorists too

    That's very pejorative, I think. Some drug cartels are made up of very fine people... like Pfizer & Roche...

    I'm sure they are (sarcastically)
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    Where is that Quote from the living daylights can't find it

    May have been in DAD as CommanderRoss suggests. I thought it was while Bond was working with the Mujahideen against the Russians. I'm sure I've heard a Bond use that phrase before...
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    I guess I thought maybe because Sanchez kind of takes over the island of Ismas the army and general and stuff but that's probably fantasy though

    That's actually pretty close to reality. A lot of drug cartels pay off the military, the police, and the politicians in a given country... and then they're about as legit as anybody can be.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,776
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Where is that Quote from the living daylights can't find it

    May have been in DAD as CommanderRoss suggests. I thought it was while Bond was working with the Mujahideen against the Russians. I'm sure I've heard a Bond use that phrase before...

    At the very least, the Cuban spy chief in DAD says it when Bond says Zao is a terrorist.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 8,139
    That's correct @Agent007391, the terrorist-freedom fighter quote is from Die Another Day as @CommanderRoss said.

    Here are the mentions of terrorist in the film dialog.


    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Robinson: It's like a terrorist supermarket. Chinese Long March Scud, Panther AS-565 attack helicopter... a pair of Russian mortars, and the crates look like American rifles. Chilean mines, German explosives. Fun for the whole family.
    Robinson: Henry Gupta. American. Practically invented techno-terrorism. Started out as a student radical at Berkeley in the '60s. Now he sells his politics for cash.
    Admiral Roebuck: We'll take the naval option. In one strike, we take out half the world's terrorists.
    The World Is Not Enough
    Bond: What would King want this for?
    M: He was led to believe the document was a secret report... ...identifying the terrorists who'd attacked his new oil pipeline.
    Elektra: This will not stand. We won't be terrorized by cowards who'd murder an innocent man... ...and use us as the tool. We'll find those who committed this atrocity. We'll follow them to the farthest ends of the earth, if needs be. And we will bring them to justice.
    M: After Elektra King was kidnapped... ...her father tried to deal with it on his own... ...with no success. So he came to me. As you are aware, we do not negotiate with terrorists. And against every instinct in my heart... ...every emotion as a mother... I told him not to pay the ransom.
    Bond: The money in King's briefcase was the same amount... ...as the ransom demand for his daughter. It's a message. Your terrorist is back.
    Electra: Please, I want to show you something. I'm trying to build an 800-mile pipeline through Turkey... ...past the terrorists in Iraq... ...Iran and Syria. Up here... ...the Russians have three competing pipelines... ...and they'll do anything to stop me. My father was murdered, the villagers are rioting... ...and you have come all this way... to tell me that I ''might'' be in danger?
    Bond: Look at this. Russian Special Services. Atomic Energy Antiterrorist Unit.
    Where did you find this?
    Jones: Why would she blow up her own pipeline?
    Bond: It makes her look innocent. The explosion covers up the theft of the plutonium. It looks like a terrorist attack.
    Jones: I don't know. But the world's greatest terrorist running around with 6 kilos of plutonium can't be good.
    Die Another Day
    Raoul: I love my country, Mr. Bond.
    Bond: A tourist? A terrorist.
    Raoul: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
    Bond: Zao has no interest in other people's freedom.
    Casino Royale
    M: We're trying to find out how an entire network of terrorist groups is financed... and you give us one bomb-maker. Hardly the big picture, wouldn't you say?
    M: Dimitrios worked as a middleman. Knew where to put his hands on weapons... and people who could use them. He worked with anyone who had money. For years he was involved with a man we knew as Le Chiffre... a private banker to the world's terrorists.
    Skyfall:
    Mallory to M: Three months ago, you lost the computer drive containing the identity of almost every NATO agent embedded in terrorist organizations across the globe.
    News broadcast: Emergency crews are still attempting to assess the damage as investigators hunt for leads in what now appears to be a major terrorist attack in the heart of London.
    News broadcast: No one has yet claimed responsibility for what sources are calling a possible "cyber-terrorist assault" on the British Secret Service.
    Spectre:
    C: Do not let them tell you we need less surveillance. We need more. Much more. I say again, the Nine Eyes committee would have full access to the combined intelligence streams of all member states. More data, more analysis, less likelihood of a terrorist attack. Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the security services of the world to unite. Alone, we are weak. Together, we're a global power.
    M: An unelected one.
    Police team: Sir, this is a terrorist alert.


    And terrorism.

    Dr. No
    Dr. No: I'm a member of SPECTRE.
    Bond: SPECTRE?
    Dr, No: SPECTRE. Special Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, Extortion. The four cornerstones of power, headed by the greatest brains in the world. Correction. "Criminal" brains.
    Never Say Never Again
    Blofeld: I am supreme commander of SPECTRE, the Special Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion.
    GoldenEye
    General: I have an English spy, a programmer and a helicopter...
    Bond: That's how your traitor wants it to look.
    General: Who attacked Severnaya?
    Bond: Who had the codes?
    General: The penalty for terrorism is still death.
    Bond: And for treason?
    Casino Royale
    Vesper: I suppose you've given some thought to the notion that if you lose... our government will have directly financed terrorism. What looks good?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I guess I thought maybe because Sanchez kind of takes over the island of Ismas the army and general and stuff but that's probably fantasy though

    That's actually pretty close to reality. A lot of drug cartels pay off the military, the police, and the politicians in a given country... and then they're about as legit as anybody can be.

    Ok
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Where is that Quote from the living daylights can't find it

    May have been in DAD as CommanderRoss suggests. I thought it was while Bond was working with the Mujahideen against the Russians. I'm sure I've heard a Bond use that phrase before...

    Ok
  • ThrasosThrasos California
    Posts: 1,187
    Dare I add: anyone calling Neo-Nazis "some very fine people" is at the very least aiding & abetting terrorism.
    Most people should know by now that Trump wasn't calling neo-Nazis some very fine people. The fact is that he was referring to the people who didn't want the statue of Robert E. Lee torn down, and you can read Trump's own words about that in the link below. A person can also look on the internet and read quotes from Trump denouncing the KKK, neo-Nazis, and all types of racism. I believe him and many other Americans do too.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/03/21/trump_didnt_call_neo-nazis_fine_people_heres_proof_139815.html
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Dare I add: anyone calling Neo-Nazis "some very fine people" is at the very least aiding & abetting terrorism.
    Most people should know by now that Trump wasn't calling neo-Nazis some very fine people. The fact is that he was referring to the people who didn't want the statue of Robert E. Lee torn down, and you can read Trump's own words about that in the link below. A person can also look on the internet and read quotes from Trump denouncing the KKK, neo-Nazis, and all types of racism. I believe him and many other Americans do too.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/03/21/trump_didnt_call_neo-nazis_fine_people_heres_proof_139815.html

    Yeah I agree
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,128
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Dare I add: anyone calling Neo-Nazis "some very fine people" is at the very least aiding & abetting terrorism.
    Most people should know by now that Trump wasn't calling neo-Nazis some very fine people. The fact is that he was referring to the people who didn't want the statue of Robert E. Lee torn down, and you can read Trump's own words about that in the link below. A person can also look on the internet and read quotes from Trump denouncing the KKK, neo-Nazis, and all types of racism. I believe him and many other Americans do too.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/03/21/trump_didnt_call_neo-nazis_fine_people_heres_proof_139815.html

    One problem with the way Trump uses the media is that he is quite skilled at phrasing things so that they can be heard in an innocent fashion by those inclined in that direction, or understood to be giving tacit approval for unsavory actions by those cued in to hearing the dog whistles. But what cannot be denied is that, under the Trump regime, right wing violence against racial and religious minorities, as well as journalists and left leaning politicians, has seen a substantial increase. Is Trump a cause of the increase in right wing violence... or just another symptom of a greater disease? https://theintercept.com/2018/10/29/deconstructed-episode-special-is-donald-trump-inciting-far-right-terror-in-the-u-s/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 16,202
    Both.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 33,923
    I've made it more than apparent my feelings on Trump, but I have to give credit where credit is due. He chose to override that lifeless husk of a woman, Betsy DeVos, and is opting NOT to defund the Special Olympics. This hyperlink sure is poorly worded:

    http://www.espn.com/specialolympics/story/_/id/26382217/trump-backs-cutting-special-olympics-funding
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,776
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've made it more than apparent my feelings on Trump, but I have to give credit where credit is due. He chose to override that lifeless husk of a woman, Betsy DeVos, and is opting NOT to defund the Special Olympics. This hyperlink sure is poorly worded:

    http://www.espn.com/specialolympics/story/_/id/26382217/trump-backs-cutting-special-olympics-funding

    A smart idea for a change.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've made it more than apparent my feelings on Trump, but I have to give credit where credit is due. He chose to override that lifeless husk of a woman, Betsy DeVos, and is opting NOT to defund the Special Olympics. This hyperlink sure is poorly worded:

    http://www.espn.com/specialolympics/story/_/id/26382217/trump-backs-cutting-special-olympics-funding

    I think she is a fine person but will admit don't know what was going on there everyone makes mistakes but she payed for the mishap.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 33,923
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've made it more than apparent my feelings on Trump, but I have to give credit where credit is due. He chose to override that lifeless husk of a woman, Betsy DeVos, and is opting NOT to defund the Special Olympics. This hyperlink sure is poorly worded:

    http://www.espn.com/specialolympics/story/_/id/26382217/trump-backs-cutting-special-olympics-funding

    I think she is a fine person but will admit don't know what was going on there everyone makes mistakes but she payed for the mishap.

    If you classify someone who wishes to defund the Special Olympics as a "fine person," then sure. Her discretions go far beyond this incident, she's simply another out of touch billionaire.
This discussion has been closed.