No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It is mind boggling that we're still at a stage of arguing about when and how a director, who is now not making Bond 25, was initially hired to direct Bond 25.

Who cares? They didn't like the script. It's over and done with. Boyle has moved on. It's for the history books. It's no longer pertinent to the production of the film. Get over it.
    We don't know whether parts of the Hodge script survived or not. So what happened might still be very much pertinent to the production of the film. It's certainly more pertinent than the dozens of completely off-topic comments that are posted in this thread every day.

That's not what the argument was about though, was it? The exchanges above related to when Boyle was hired ("after the pitch, before the script!" "No, after the script!"), not whether elements of Hodges screenplay survived or not. You can't have it both ways, I'm afraid. Danny Boyle is now about as pertinent as those other off-topic comments, whether you accept that or not. Sorry, old man.

That's the problem these days, isn't it? People think that by dowsing the Internet in corrosive comments, filmmakers will inevitably yield to their demands. It's the producers/director/lead actors who decide how things turn out, not we.

"Things don't happen fast enough!" "I'm not getting the script, director, ... I want." "Barbara Broccoli must go." Yeah, just keep repeating that and one day they're bound to listen and obey the almighty fan--no, not the fan, the opinionated critic with a keyboard.

Yesterday, the question was asked of how much more we must endure before we've had enough. Let me tell you about 'enough'. With a spectacular 24 film titles (plus 2 if you'll have them), spread across 5 decades of filmmaking, several book series, interesting comic book titles, video games, soundtracks, making of books and documentaries, analysis books, anecdotal books, toys, celebratory Internet forums and more, I'd say we have enough, more than enough even. I count every next entry, if and when it comes, as an added bonus, as a reason to be joyful. But in the absence of a new Bond film tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I'm not going to accuse EON of letting Bond fans down.

Remember that we came very close, in a distant past, to losing Bond forever. They could have pulled the plug after OHMSS, or after LTK or especially after the Harry Saltzman fiasco post-TMWTGG. The Broccolis, more than anyone else, have endured. More than that; since the 90s, no Bond film has been without its share of critical and commercial success, securing the franchise's health in an era no-one in the 60s could have predicted would still welcome James Bond. Perhaps you or you or you weren't too happy about some of these films in the GE--SP collection but clearly a lot of folks out there still respect and admire the series enough to cough up a lot of money for every next Bond film. It would be outrageous to even assume that the suits are contemplating Barbara Broccoli's departure from the series. I don't know why people are suddenly targeting her; I think it's intellectual laziness more than anything else. Blame the woman in charge, accuse her of taking Bond to the PC slaughterhouse, render Bond at the mercy of outsiders who only care about earning a quick buck and were never any part of the Bond legacy, and everything will be fine? Perhaps Cannon Films can come back for "007: The Quest For Peace". Sounds like a good plan, this.

If and when it happens, folks, if and when it happens. We owe them all the fun we've had with the cinematic Bond so far and they owe us nothing. Face it, we're not a part of any of it until the product is released and we can choose to watch it or stay away.

One more thing about "not getting a Bond film fast enough", the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. (We used to comment on choices made, but until now, not getting a Bond film soon enough, was never an issue.) In a certain other thread about things we're tired of seeing in movies, several members have said, "superhero films". Superhero fatigue is a well-known phenomenon. We've had it before, you see, even when the Superhero output was, at best, one of them every one or two years. Yet with superhero stuff, you can still go to various places, use different characters, explore different adventures. Something so close to a formula as Bond might, like Solo, overstay its welcome very quickly if not enough time has passed since its previous entry. Granted, Solo was only a few months away from Episode VIII, whereas B25 will be released over four years since SP. We, as die hard Bond fans, may appreciate new material with every lunar cycle, but we alone don't pay the bills. Only when enough people can be lured to movie theatres, can Bond survive. If the Bond films were to deliver a 'Solo', it might be over for good, or at least for a very long time. Besides, it took them four years to get to CR after DAD, a Bond film many of us felt, at the time, had completely destroyed the series; and it took them 6 years to get to GE after LTK, when many people felt that it would be ridiculous for Bond to even try to resurface in the post-Cold War 90s. That Bond did and with success, has a lot to do with us having to sit through six years of patience, and with Barbara Broccoli being a darn good producer. Also, if the quality of a film is somehow proportonal to how fast the film is delivered, I guess we might as well call the likes of Terence Malik, James Cameron and Stanley Kubrick some of the worst directors of all times.

So, to all those negative elements out there, for your own mental health, I beg you to relax. It'll come when it comes, it'll happen when it happens, you'll see it when you get the chance to see it. There's always a multitude of reasons for delays and firing one person, especially one who's been around and involved for so long is not going to speed things up or guarantee a higher quality of films. Let us celebrate the production of the next Bond film. Let us enjoy the fascinating road to get there, even if, like many great films in the past, it is plagued with setbacks and critical predicaments. Let us dream of what it might be, without feeling any anger if it turns out something else entirely. And most of all, let us not do what the rest of the Internet is doing because we're so much better than that. We're all reasonably intelligent people here and we don't want to stoop to the level of trolls and poisonous self-appointed critics. I'm a Bond fan; for me, the Sun is shining right now. Another Bond film is coming. The fun of anticipating it means a lot to me. And I'll keep fighting all that speculative, useless, boring negativity around here with the optimism of a true Bond fan, who is also grateful for what has been given to us in previous decades, and for a future in which a new Bond, even if it's just one more, is guaranteed. I, for one, won't be set off kelter, by the arrongance of some, who come off thinking they can make better films than those who are actually doing it.

So who's with me?

A big +1 on this, @DarthDimi, followed by the clinking glasses of a martini after a hopefully rewarding wait.

12232896_10205512698192991_7821040204129826130_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=b29a2c9063faa7f7b1561cef9ffeaad2&oe=5D043B72
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    What's the likelihood of Eon releasing a clapperboard picture commemorating the start of the shoot?

I was thinking the same thing. It would be very out of character of recent 007 social media activity. I think more likely is crew continue to post about the filming and we find out bits from that.
    I don’t understand why people think the 007 social media is lacking? Why would they be posting pictures and tidbits before filmings even started? We all know it’ll kick off again once production has fully hit the road so I think there’s a perfectly high chance that we could get a clapperboard.

I’m imagining one lodged in a piece of ice with a blurred out lodge cabin in the background but just a guess haha

I would really like to see that clapperboard photo. I just wish they did more posts like the one back in January teasing that Bond would be back in the Caribbean. It was clever and ambiguous. Plus it brought fans in, as they debated and discussed the possible hidden meaning.
    He has already started in norway...

AE67-F7-AA-519-F-4305-B1-E1-9-F43-DAD64720.png

This confirms that second unit work begins this week! Fantastic news!

I imagine the next two weeks will be jam packed with news

Great find. So filming will certainly begin monday the. well done
    im surprised how deep some of you go to find stuff. do you not like surprises.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 416
    @Pierce2Daniel Filming will 100% begin the day after tomorrow. It's mind boggling that they didn't hold the press conference this week.

What do you think their reason is for not holding press confranc.e. Do you think it will certainly be held beginning of next month then ? when shooting begin on 5th april ? .

And just to add, I hope this isnt a flashback scene. Im dont really like it when they do flashbacks. I hope its all shot in present time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Gareth007 wrote: »

So with people thinking he may possibly be a stunt double for Malek? Do we think Malek will be a part of this Norway sequence? Or will he just be playing a random thug?

So with people thinking he may possibly be a stunt double for Malek? Do we think Malek will be a part of this Norway sequence? Or will he just be playing a random thug?

Personally I dont think he looks like a villian,but he a great actor and I think he will be more a henchman kind of guy and the real villain is not revealed yet. ?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

I think he’s just a random baddie. We don’t even 100% know if Malek he’s in the movie.
    matt_u wrote: »

I think he’s just a random baddie. We don’t even 100% know if Malek he’s in the movie.

True. At least we know flming is under way soon. But no press conference ? When will they announce something I wonder
    jake24 wrote: »
    What's the likelihood of Eon releasing a clapperboard picture commemorating the start of the shoot?

I don't think we will get a clipboard shoot pic until the title is revealed. After the press conference, that's when they will show a clipboard pic I assume.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869

I mean the caption for his Instagram post seemed to hint Malek's involvement pretty heavily at it.

Unless it's a coincidence but seems pretty on the nose for that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It is mind boggling that we're still at a stage of arguing about when and how a director, who is now not making Bond 25, was initially hired to direct Bond 25.

Who cares? They didn't like the script. It's over and done with. Boyle has moved on. It's for the history books. It's no longer pertinent to the production of the film. Get over it.
    We don't know whether parts of the Hodge script survived or not. So what happened might still be very much pertinent to the production of the film. It's certainly more pertinent than the dozens of completely off-topic comments that are posted in this thread every day.

That's not what the argument was about though, was it? The exchanges above related to when Boyle was hired ("after the pitch, before the script!" "No, after the script!"), not whether elements of Hodges screenplay survived or not. You can't have it both ways, I'm afraid. Danny Boyle is now about as pertinent as those other off-topic comments, whether you accept that or not. Sorry, old man.

That's the problem these days, isn't it? People think that by dowsing the Internet in corrosive comments, filmmakers will inevitably yield to their demands. It's the producers/director/lead actors who decide how things turn out, not we.

"Things don't happen fast enough!" "I'm not getting the script, director, ... I want." "Barbara Broccoli must go." Yeah, just keep repeating that and one day they're bound to listen and obey the almighty fan--no, not the fan, the opinionated critic with a keyboard.

Yesterday, the question was asked of how much more we must endure before we've had enough. Let me tell you about 'enough'. With a spectacular 24 film titles (plus 2 if you'll have them), spread across 5 decades of filmmaking, several book series, interesting comic book titles, video games, soundtracks, making of books and documentaries, analysis books, anecdotal books, toys, celebratory Internet forums and more, I'd say we have enough, more than enough even. I count every next entry, if and when it comes, as an added bonus, as a reason to be joyful. But in the absence of a new Bond film tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I'm not going to accuse EON of letting Bond fans down.

Remember that we came very close, in a distant past, to losing Bond forever. They could have pulled the plug after OHMSS, or after LTK or especially after the Harry Saltzman fiasco post-TMWTGG. The Broccolis, more than anyone else, have endured. More than that; since the 90s, no Bond film has been without its share of critical and commercial success, securing the franchise's health in an era no-one in the 60s could have predicted would still welcome James Bond. Perhaps you or you or you weren't too happy about some of these films in the GE--SP collection but clearly a lot of folks out there still respect and admire the series enough to cough up a lot of money for every next Bond film. It would be outrageous to even assume that the suits are contemplating Barbara Broccoli's departure from the series. I don't know why people are suddenly targeting her; I think it's intellectual laziness more than anything else. Blame the woman in charge, accuse her of taking Bond to the PC slaughterhouse, render Bond at the mercy of outsiders who only care about earning a quick buck and were never any part of the Bond legacy, and everything will be fine? Perhaps Cannon Films can come back for "007: The Quest For Peace". Sounds like a good plan, this.

If and when it happens, folks, if and when it happens. We owe them all the fun we've had with the cinematic Bond so far and they owe us nothing. Face it, we're not a part of any of it until the product is released and we can choose to watch it or stay away.

One more thing about "not getting a Bond film fast enough", the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. (We used to comment on choices made, but until now, not getting a Bond film soon enough, was never an issue.) In a certain other thread about things we're tired of seeing in movies, several members have said, "superhero films". Superhero fatigue is a well-known phenomenon. We've had it before, you see, even when the Superhero output was, at best, one of them every one or two years. Yet with superhero stuff, you can still go to various places, use different characters, explore different adventures. Something so close to a formula as Bond might, like Solo, overstay its welcome very quickly if not enough time has passed since its previous entry. Granted, Solo was only a few months away from Episode VIII, whereas B25 will be released over four years since SP. We, as die hard Bond fans, may appreciate new material with every lunar cycle, but we alone don't pay the bills. Only when enough people can be lured to movie theatres, can Bond survive. If the Bond films were to deliver a 'Solo', it might be over for good, or at least for a very long time. Besides, it took them four years to get to CR after DAD, a Bond film many of us felt, at the time, had completely destroyed the series; and it took them 6 years to get to GE after LTK, when many people felt that it would be ridiculous for Bond to even try to resurface in the post-Cold War 90s. That Bond did and with success, has a lot to do with us having to sit through six years of patience, and with Barbara Broccoli being a darn good producer. Also, if the quality of a film is somehow proportonal to how fast the film is delivered, I guess we might as well call the likes of Terence Malik, James Cameron and Stanley Kubrick some of the worst directors of all times.

So, to all those negative elements out there, for your own mental health, I beg you to relax. It'll come when it comes, it'll happen when it happens, you'll see it when you get the chance to see it. There's always a multitude of reasons for delays and firing one person, especially one who's been around and involved for so long is not going to speed things up or guarantee a higher quality of films. Let us celebrate the production of the next Bond film. Let us enjoy the fascinating road to get there, even if, like many great films in the past, it is plagued with setbacks and critical predicaments. Let us dream of what it might be, without feeling any anger if it turns out something else entirely. And most of all, let us not do what the rest of the Internet is doing because we're so much better than that. We're all reasonably intelligent people here and we don't want to stoop to the level of trolls and poisonous self-appointed critics. I'm a Bond fan; for me, the Sun is shining right now. Another Bond film is coming. The fun of anticipating it means a lot to me. And I'll keep fighting all that speculative, useless, boring negativity around here with the optimism of a true Bond fan, who is also grateful for what has been given to us in previous decades, and for a future in which a new Bond, even if it's just one more, is guaranteed. I, for one, won't be set off kelter, by the arrongance of some, who come off thinking they can make better films than those who are actually doing it.

So who's with me?

Good god @DarthDimi -- thank you for such a well thought out piece of writing. You hit the nails on the head, many times over. Best piece we've had on the state of our affairs.

Bond 25 really is coming, and I'm bloody excited. Burns handed in his polish well in time. And seeing the pic of Norway above gave me a shot of excited butterflies... There's so many possibilities in that shot-- what's going to happen in this scene? How will it lead to Italy? Jamaica? What is Bond's mission?

All is good in the world of 007.

I mean the caption for his Instagram post seemed to hint Malek's involvement pretty heavily at it.

Well after all the rumors, hints and stories about Malek I would be extremely surprised if he’s not in the movie.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Well after all the rumors, hints and stories about Malek I would be extremely surprised if he’s not in the movie.
    +1
    Slight Update: An amazing woman on the Lipstick Alley forum who are fans of Fukunaga has reached out confirming that Cary Fukunaga and his assistant directer travelled to Norway this morning.

She’s asked me to not reveal the Instagram handle. But it looks like they’re all going.

So this looks to be the main unit.....
    Slight Update: An amazing woman on the Lipstick Alley forum who are fans of Fukunaga has reached out confirming that Cary Fukunaga and his assistant directer travelled to Norway this morning.

She’s asked me to not reveal the Instagram handle. But it looks like they’re all going.

Cool ! But it's odd to not have the press conference beforehand. When should this happen ?
    "Things don't happen fast enough!"
    I can't speak for others but I absolutely have no problem with large gaps between Bond films, as long as those large gaps are utilized well. Having a 4 or 5 gap between films is pointles when things are still rushed in the last minute.
    "I'm not getting the script, director, ... I want." "Barbara Broccoli must go." Yeah, just keep repeating that and one day they're bound to listen and obey the almighty fan--no, not the fan, the opinionated critic with a keyboard.
    Well, the fan can always vote with their wallet. I certainly did in 2015 when I decided not to watch Spectre at the cinema. (It's the first Bond movie I didn't watch at the cinema since I became a Bond fan.)
    It would be outrageous to even assume that the suits are contemplating Barbara Broccoli's departure from the series.
    Reminder: MI6-HQ did confirm that the rumours about Barbara & Michael wanting to sell the franchise were not just baseless speculation.
    Blame the woman in charge, accuse her of taking Bond to the PC slaughterhouse,
    What? I am the guy who wanted Boyle to direct Bond 25 more than anyone else. Boyle's Bond movie would have been very likely the most PC Bond movie of all time.
    and they owe us nothing.
    They owe us everything. And I don't mean us, the fans. I mean us, the audience.
    One more thing about "not getting a Bond film fast enough", the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
    Again, the issue isn't the large gaps. The issue is their inability to utilize these large gaps well. More than three years have passed since the release of the last Bond film. WHy are they rewriting the script now in the last minute AGAIN? (The same thing happened when they were making Spectre.)
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,343
    That’s the confirmation we needed!

The conference could take place the first week of April at this point.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    My two cents is like what was reported that fukunaga and the crew want to film the sequence in Norway with the icy river before it thaws out, Then they will travel back to Pinewood then have the press conference before principal photography begins at pinewood with the main cast. So I'm really not surprised they didn't hold the press conference before they headed out to Norway.

Cool ! But it's odd to not have the press conference beforehand. When should this happen ?

Clearly they’re shooting this week in Norway to get the frozen lake stuff done before it thaws out.

Work at Pinewood must begin the week after. I imagine they’ll either do the press conference that week. Or...they could do something similar like with QOS and wait a few weeks after filming.

So who's with me?

A post for the ages, @DarthDimi. Well done.

I'd encourage everyone, everyone to read it in full. And then have an especially long think about it before the next time their next instinctual reaction is to complain about a film that doesn't exist yet.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541

So who's with me?

+1, Damn that was one long post @DarthDimi . I just hope you won't have to repeat it again. I for one think BB did a brilliant job from where she started to where she is now. Kudos to her and to you for your thoughtful comment and typing skills.lol... things are starting to get better...

Clearly they’re shooting this week in Norway to get the frozen lake stuff done before it thaws out.

Work at Pinewood must begin the week after. I imagine they’ll either do the press conference that week. Or...they could do something similar like with QOS and wait a few weeks after filming.

Indeed.

All's well.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Indeed.

All's well.

I look forward to seeing the first glimpses of this area in the film. Frozen lakes are landscape pornography to me. Gorgeous stuff. Coupled with the general aesthetic of the region, it's going to be a beautiful sequence if it's appropriately utilised.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    "Things don't happen fast enough!"
    I can't speak for others but I absolutely have no problem with large gaps between Bond films, as long as those large gaps are utilized well. Having a 4 or 5 gap between films is pointles when things are still rushed in the last minute.
    If you ask me with all the things they've had to accommodate, they've utilised the time as well as they could.

They had to accommodate Daniel Craig's desire for a break, the changeover from Sony, the departure of Boyle and Hodge, the hiring of Fukunaga and the writing of Burns.

Remember it's only been about 6 months since Fukunaga was hired and we're about to start shooting...

And since when did you think Bond 25 was being rushed? I thought your whole deal was that they weren't doing things quick enough?
    and they owe us nothing.
    They owe us everything. And I don't mean us, the fans. I mean us, the audience.

How so?
    Very positive developments. Surely the press conference should be very soon then? Or maybe there won’t be one this time? Everything is quite secretive.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Very positive developments. Surely the press conference should be very soon then? Or maybe there won’t be one this time? Everything is quite secretive.
    What better way to project strength and confidence than to hold a press conference and answer questions, even question about Boyle?
    Look what ive found. Him filming in norway. Has anyone else seen this. https://www.instagram.com/stories/sebastiensoudai/

Click this link then press right once on the arrow. it will switch to a small video recording of his arrival in norway and what looks like the bond 25 set with a rig.
    No one cares about Boyle anymore. The only thing that matters is Fukunaga’s Bond 25.