ALIEN Franchise

Comments

patb wrote: »
    Despite the series title, IMHO, the key to the series success has been Ripley and her relationship to the Aliens. From the audience perspective, fear will only get you so far. The empathy and emotion that Ripley brought to the series cannot be underestimated (Cameron clearly saw this) and, when you consider how action roles have developed, Ripley was decades ahead of her time.

Without Ripley, Scott has clearly struggled.

I know it's too late but Newt would have been the ideal character to take the series futher. She had a very personal connection with Ripley and obviously a back story that fits in perfectly with the original story. Imagine someone of the calibre of Scarlett Johansson or similar playing Newt in her mid thirties. Great potential IMHO
    The struggle IMO has Nothing to do with the Absence of Ripley, but with the Absence of a continuous and clear Story. You could easily rename Dr Shaw to Newt, and it would basically make sense, with a few tweaks. But that wouldn´t Change the nature of the Story Scott tries to tell with the latest two films.

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I know it's too late but Newt would have been the ideal character to take the series futher. She had a very personal connection with Ripley and obviously a back story that fits in perfectly with the original story. Imagine someone of the calibre of Scarlett Johansson or similar playing Newt in her mid thirties. Great potential IMHO

This I really like. The biggest mistake in the series was killing her off. It completely negated the entirety of Aliens and is the reason I ignore every film except for the first two. I have no desire to watch the series get slowly screwed over with each successive entry.
  • I hope a sequel starring Sigourney.

Halloween 2018 was a hit so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it is.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

This I really like. The biggest mistake in the series was killing her off. It completely negated the entirety of Aliens and is the reason I ignore every film except for the first two. I have no desire to watch the series get slowly screwed over with each successive entry.

That's why the premise for Neill Blomkamp's proposed Alien film is so exciting; it ignores all but the first two films and would be a direct sequel to Aliens but with a different timeline. Newt and Hicks would be alive.

This page has some nice art for the proposed film.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-5/

talos7 wrote: »

That's why the premise for Neill Blomkamp's proposed Alien film is so exciting; it ignores all but the first two films and would be a direct sequel to Aliens but with a different timeline. Newt and Hicks would be alive.

This page has some nice art for the proposed film.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-5/

@talos7 That would be absolutely fantastic! I hope this still happens somehow.
    For what it's worth, this is from a recent interview with James Cameron. Was he serious or was it said tongue in cheek?

"During a recent interview with IGN, Cameron was asked if he could give Neill Blomkamp a call about making a new Alien movie, and this is what Cameron said:

“I’m working on that, yeah.”
    Hmm...that really could go either way.
    Yeah, a lot of sites really ran with it, but I take it with a grain of salt. I guess we’ll see.
    talos7 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, this is from a recent interview with James Cameron. Was he serious or was it said tongue in cheek?

"During a recent interview with IGN, Cameron was asked if he could give Neill Blomkamp a call about making a new Alien movie, and this is what Cameron said:

“I’m working on that, yeah.”
    Hard to say from the written words alone wether he was serious or tongue in cheek. The choice of words could be either.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm still praying to Cthulhu for a chance to see Blomkamp's Alien5. At this point, I'm half done with Scott's vision. Or let's put it differently. I'm fine with Scott finishing his strange "prequel" films as long as we're also going to see Blomkamp or some other superfan pull a 'Halloween 2018' on Alien(s). I crave a no-BS return to the very essence of Alien, to the days before the highly stylized, artsie-fartsie, auteur centred here's-my-gift-to-cinema endeavours. I'm willing to bet Blomklamp can deliver.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,105
    As much as I would like Scott to finish his three Prometheous film arc, part of me knows that if he does the third film its unlikely to surprise me at all.

Regarding Blomkamp initial idea the clock is ticking on the actors, admittedly CGI can deage the actors or use a malfunction in cryo sleep plot point to explain slow ageing.
    As much as I would like Scott to finish his three Prometheous film arc, part of me knows that if he does the third film its unlikely to surprise me at all.
    "finish his three Prometheus film arc" inplies there is already something resembling two thirds of an arc. Where is that?

I'm reading you loud and clear.

Sigourney, in particular, is getting up there in years.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    boldfinger wrote: »
    "finish his three Prometheus film arc" inplies there is already something resembling two thirds of an arc. Where is that?

Hence the reason I wrote 'part of me knows that if he does the third film its unlikely to surprise me at all.'

Scott screws over the Alien franchise part 1. Followed by Scott screws over the Alien franchise part 2.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    April 23rd, 2019 date confirmed for the first film being released in 4K. I can't wait to see what they've done with it, though I really don't care for that artwork at all:

10417_tn.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24710
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    April 23rd, 2019 date confirmed for the first film being released in 4K. I can't wait to see what they've done with it, though I really don't care for that artwork at all:

10417_tn.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24710

I remember being impressed by the Bluray version of Alien when I first saw it, I expect this 4K presentation to be great.

I have this Alien boxset where the art is considerably better IMO....

41fzJdcOcvL._SY445_.jpg

I have been dissapointed by a few 4K films art work in comparison to the Bluray equivalent, The Dark Knight Trilogy being an example.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Seeing it for the first time on the big screen Friday night, can't wait.

This definitely would be one to upgrade once I make the jump to 4K Blu ray.
    I saw all the Alien movies on the big screen and they belong their best.
    I've just picked this one up from Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth, please.

Michael Nordine, writing for Indiewire in October 2017, quoted Ridley Scott stating that Alien: Covenant 2 will focus more on the androids and A.I.s as opposed to the xenomorphs. Scott said, "I think the evolution of the Alien himself is nearly over, but what I was trying to do was transcend and move to another story, which would be taken over by A.I.s. The world that the A.I. might create as a leader if he finds himself on a new planet. We have actually quite a big layout for the next one."

I'm not sure this makes me very happy.
    Hopefully Ridley is calling it a day on the Alien franchise.

The man is not a good judge of good projects anymore. His prime is like Spielberg long behind him, they both did their best work in the 70s and 80s.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Hopefully Ridley is calling it a day on the Alien franchise.

The man is not a good judge of good projects anymore. His prime is like Spielberg long behind him, they both did their best work in the 70s and 80s.

Well, they both made very interesting and indeed great films in the 90s and 2000s. Take Spielberg for example: S's List, J. Park, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can and more. As for Scott; I loved Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and The Martian.

But yeah, Blade Runner and Alien are Scott's very best, in my opinion.
    Spielberg has never topped, Jaws and Raiders, he proved to be the most competent blockbuster film maker of all time with those.

He invented the term and he is yet to be bettered in my view.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Scott screws over the Alien franchise part 1. Followed by Scott screws over the Alien franchise part 2.

I have given up on the 'Alien franchise' and refuse to watch anymore.

I saw Prometheus and thought it was ok. Terrible script with some really stupid moments, but some cool visuals and design.

I like to keep the the Alien origins a mystery. They were always more interesting knowing little about them.

Alien & Aliens is the be all end all for me.

Just like i don't watch Star Wars films anymore. A New Hope and Empire are magnificent films. The rest go from being ok to downright terrible.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The two released Alien 40th anniversary short films have been interesting, though. The second one especially managed to be quite inventive. Hopefully the filmmakers behind these films get a crack at a full feature one day.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If we ever get another installment, I hope it's horror-driven and directed by new blood; no more android-driven tales or prequel stories, please.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,105
    The two released Alien 40th anniversary short films have been interesting, though. The second one especially managed to be quite inventive. Hopefully the filmmakers behind these films get a crack at a full feature one day.

I watched the the second short film I thought it was decent for what it is, I liked the message on the glass door (airlock) to attempt to warn off the other ship.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I watched the the second short film I thought it was decent for what it is, I liked the message on the glass door to attempt to warn off the other ship.

That was the first one, I believe. I preferred the second, personally. The setting was suitably claustrophobic and it was very well shot, and they kept the tension up without showing too much creature. They're all fairly low-budget, so it's nice to see new filmmakers being forced to get creative with old ideas and actually use their heads to make things interesting.