No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited February 2019 Posts: 754
    FourDot wrote: »
    Weirdly I think a lot of the problems with Spectre's action sequences comes back to much of them seemingly existing in a vacuum. There's nobody else about for the Rome (excepting comedy Fiat man) or Austria or London sequences - for Mexico they are set-dressing rather than interactive (compare for instance Moneypenny screaming at civilians repeatedly in Istanbul). To say nothing of the Crater base escape which applies the same methodology as the Silva capture without the actual thought behind it (in SF, Bond is hustling. Here he's just Superman and has no opposition). Again, with the train sequence everyone disappears once the fighting starts. It's why much of the film feels artificial and staged rather than integrated with a larger world.

I agree this is one of the problems with the action. It’s interesting that the PTS which many consider great, I thought was okay, but dragged... anyway the Day of the Dead festival is going on and it’s only a visual to have a helicopter sequence over. Here you have a bunch of people in skeleton costumes and you build no suspense or intrigue out of that at all. Hello. But that’s Mendes.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes this is where it's pointing tbh. I don't think anyone at EON particularly enjoyed the auteur approach that Mendes brought. Fukunaga is a slightly random choice. Bit like Tomahori back in 2002. He's known more as a low key niche artsy director. Little or no experience of films this size.

He's obviously been brought into a troubled existing production to just get it over the line. I am hopeful he is talented enough that he will do a decent job but I am not sure B25 is going to be individual vision some seem to be expecting.
    He’s a better director than we’ve had in a while, but yes the question is what is he working with... we know it’s P&W, sigh, but are there other elements in it... Fleming source material, Boyle/Hodge or Paul Haggis... there’s no doubt this isn’t a Fukunaga original vision. He’s polishing and possibly tweaking some elements but not the whole script. I’m hopeful this isn’t a get it over the line but rather something that’s been worked on and is good. Fukunaga did sign up for it so I doubt he would do it if the material sucked... but we shall see.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Fukunaga at the BAFTAs.Also, rather suspiciously, Rami Malek gave an interview where he spoke f moving to London soon...

How exciting :) that look to the camera after he said it as well haha

That little wink to the camera makes it seem obvious
    edited February 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I just hope we don't see Malek like this in bond25 even though it was hilarious

tumblr_oupfxdHrIK1vc98vyo1_250.gif

@Resurrection Bond seems to like the rub dont get me started I hated that scene totally unnecessary and out of character with bond
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    007Blofeld wrote: »

@Resurrection Bond seems to like the rub dont get me started I hated that scene totally unnecessary and out of character with bond

I’ve always viewed this sequence differently. Even if completely uncomfortable with what Silva is doing, Bond would never let him see that; in fact he knowingly turns the tables by replying ‘what makes you think it’s my first time”. It completely disarms Silva.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Yes this is where it's pointing tbh. I don't think anyone at EON particularly enjoyed the auteur approach that Mendes brought. Fukunaga is a slightly random choice. Bit like Tomahori back in 2002. He's known more as a low key niche artsy director. Little or no experience of films this size.

He's obviously been brought into a troubled existing production to just get it over the line. I am hopeful he is talented enough that he will do a decent job but I am not sure B25 is going to be individual vision some seem to be expecting.
    I’m hopeful this isn’t a get it over the line but rather something that’s been worked on and is good. Fukunaga did sign up for it so I doubt he would do it if the material sucked... but we shall see.

Lets be honest, from the outside looking in thats exactly what it looks like. I see many viewing it as he was hired so that he would be left alone, but if that is the case why not push back the release date further and let him write his own movie from scratch? Or better yet why not move allow Boyle the extra leeway to execute his vision in the first place? Again just based on the information we have it seems like EON were in a hurry to find someone else after Boyle left, and Fukunaga was one of the first to out his hand up which also met with Craigs approval. At this point they probably had investors breathing down theirs necks so pushing things back a full year was out of the question. Whatever Fukunaga is trinkling to the script will be under heavy scrutiny from Babs so those hoping for Fukunaga to be allowed to spread his wings will, I feel, be sadly dissapointed. Afterall how could he be, with only a few months on the project before production starts?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541
    talos7 wrote: »

I’ve always viewed this sequence differently. Even if completely uncomfortable with what Silva is doing, Bond would never let him see that; in fact he knowingly turns the tables by replying ‘what makes you think it’s my first time”. It completely disarms Silva.

My thoughts exactly

My thoughts exactly

Mine too.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Rehearsals have begun!!

• Exciting news! Getting closer...
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Yay
    Awesome!!!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Okay. But SF and SP are the closest we've come to auteur Bond.

I don't see there being much argument with that. They gave Mendes unprecedented latitude.
    Correction. They gave Craig unprecedented latitude. Mendes took the fall.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Ludovico wrote: »

My thoughts exactly

Mine too.

@Ludovico @Resurrection @talos7 @Birdleson Me too after reflecting on the whole bond Silva scene
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    So this should put the delay rumors and hysteria to bed once and for all! So if last week was the script read through rehearsals then is this week for stunt rehearsals?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    So this should put the delay rumors and hysteria to bed once and for all! So if last week was the script read through rehearsals then is this week for stunt rehearsals?

Ah, never underestimate those who will say this is just a stunt. :P
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Rehearsals have begun!!

I wonder if Craig's on the other side of that :D
    This is probably the first photo indicating any type of pre production or rehearsal for b25
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    Rehearsals have begun!!

Before I get massively excited about this - we're sure Yvesstunt is working on Bond25?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Rehearsals have begun!!

Before I get massively excited about this - we're sure Yvesstunt is working on Bond25?

He's listed on iMDB as an assistant stunt coordinator for B25. He was a fight assistant for Spectre.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Rehearsals have begun!!

He's listed on iMDB as an assistant stunt coordinator for B25. He was a fight assistant for Spectre.

He also made an Instgram post a few weeks ago about being in London with the hashtag Bond25.
    Rehearsals have begun!!

He also made an Instgram post a few weeks ago about being in London with the hashtag Bond25.

That too.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    He was a fight assistant for Spectre.

That doesn't fill me with any confidence at all.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    doubleoego wrote: »

Why?

Olivier Schneider was fight coordinator. Yves Girard was one of his assistants.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,756

It actually wasn't Mendes who was pulling the strings behind Spectre, it was the damn fight Assistant.

You thought his position was innocent enough? Wrong. He was an undercover agent for Mendes, sent to sabotage the film.

Now he's at it on Bond 25.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2019 Posts: 11,139
    Denbigh wrote: »

Why?

Olivier Schneider was fight coordinator. Yves Girard was one of his assistants.

I wasn't impressed with the fight stunts/choreography at all. I was massively disappointed.
  • It was a criminal waste of Monica Bellucci. She would have been a better main Bond girl than Seydoux dare I say.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Bellucci can’t act. She’s just gorgeous, period. She can’t even dub. In the Italian version she obviously dubbed herself and was atrocious. I remember people laughing in the theatre during the funeral scene.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    matt_u wrote: »
    Bellucci can’t act. She’s just gorgeous, period. She can’t even dub. In the Italian version she obviously dubbed herself and was atrocious. I remember people laughing in the theatre during the funeral scene.
    I do think she could’ve done more with a better written character, although the film gives off the impression that the character was written for Belluci rather than the other way around. The character should always be created first.