No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I don’t see Fukunaga taking inspiration from McQuarrie.

If it's very much producer led and he's just there for the money, then it could be the dire SP sequel / Fallout rip off some fear.

Don't say I didn't try and warn you guys. I said that Fukunaga was probably only picked because he was available on short notice and met with Daniels approval, but few listened.

I very much believe this to be the case. And this seems to be the situation EON is in most of the time now.

The question is will Fukunaga be the new Lee Tamahori or more of a Marc Forster?

My hope and suspicion is he will be more the latter.

He's also a writer, and he's personally spent time on the script which gives me a lot of hope the writing on this film is going to be above the usual low standard we've come to accept since 1989.

He's talented (as Tamahori seemed to be) but I think has more respect for the series. Anyway, (brothergate to one side) I don't see Craig era Bond straying much further into DAD territory than it has already.

So yes I agree he was probably the guy standing around with his hands in his pockets the day they sacked Boyle, but I don't see history repeating and us going back to the doldrums of the 1990s.

Fukunaga is more like Forster IMO. An artsy talented director. But he's going to get more time and won't be dealing with extensive rewrites throughout the production. He is also respectful and talented enough to keep the essence of Bond but put a fresh spin on it. He can also clearly direct suspenseful drama and gripping action, which frankly puts him ahead of pretty much every director the series has employed since John Glen.

A lot will rest on the story/plot IMO. Is it another serving of Purvis and Wade unleavened bread, or will we finally get a genuinely gripping and weird Flemingesque story?
    I'm 100% convinced its Rami Malek, I think they will keep quiet until after the Oscar's and then once that's over, it come out.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    3 weeks until filming begins...
    Amazing to read that there is an "EON Screenwriters Workshop Ltd".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_G._Wilson

I'm picturing some locked broom cupboard at EON HQ with huge paper files going back to the late 80s and large amounts of dust.
    Tamahori had exposed his failure to deliver genre fare with his three films prior to DAD.

Forster's one thriller (Stay) misfired as well.

Fukunaga is kinda halfway between Mendes and Forster I guess.
    talos7 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    The car chase has to be one of the most uninspired action sequences in the history of the franchise,
    Surely not, @talos7. Have you forgotten DAD’s paragliding tsunami action scene? Or maybe you’re a fan?

Two different animals, with the paragliding sequence being mainly a special effects sequence.
    Also, if you read what I said, the words “ one of” are used. The paragliding sequence is shameful but it doesn’t not change that the car chase in Rome is profoundly uninspired and dull.
    I read what you said. You said: “has to be one of the most uninspired action sequences in the history of the franchise.” Conclusion: you use hyperbole rather than giving examples of why you think this is your own belief. “Two different animals” you say. They’re both action sequences, how are they both different animals? Of course you’re entitled to say that the Rome car chase is uninspired and dull, but you lose your argument when you toss in “the history of the franchise”.

You are far too impressed, more than you should be, with your own words and are coming off as a pseudo intellectual who talks in circles and mistakes it for intellect. I've noticed this in your long winded responses to several post by a number of members and topics.

If you can't see the difference between the paragliding sequence and the car chase in Rome , I recommend taking a basic filmmaking course; you may find it helpful.

Also, stating an opinion need not be presented as an argument; it can exist simply as an opinion. So, I'm not making an argument that the car chase has to be one of the most uninspired action sequences in the history of the franchise, I'm stating an opinion. live with it.
    Yawn! And I too have noticed how you’re up your own backside and lack an inability to express yourself coherently and with style. Touché.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2019 Posts: 11,139
    Personally, I felt no adrenaline or surprise during the Rome car chase or the plane chase.

I just really really hope for much better action this time around.

Agreed. Those action scenes were mod edit and Bond is MORE than capable of better sequences. It's funny to me that the barely can be seen action sequences in QoS, in fact all of QoS' action sequences are better than every so called action sequence in SP. In any case, I trust CJF to come correct.

FourDot wrote: »
    Tamahori had exposed his failure to deliver genre fare with his three films prior to DAD.

Forster's one thriller (Stay) misfired as well.

Fukunaga is kinda halfway between Mendes and Forster I guess.

Fukunaga looks like a very different filmmaker. Mendes is a theatre animal who never wrote a screenplay. Forster is more of a neutral director with basically no poetic. Fukunaga’s attitude to write puts him in a different position and he already proved not to be a mere yes-man.
    Funnily enough Mendes has written his first screenplay now, however I believe he has had the control to shape some of the material he has had to his wants and needs.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Not sure where some are getting the idea that Fukunaga has a deeper respect for the series than Boyle or Mendes, both of whom are British. Is there a source for this?
    Not sure where some are getting the idea that Fukunaga has a deeper respect for the series than Boyle or Mendes, both of whom are British. Is there a source for this?

Greater respect than Tamahori was what I wrote but others may have meant something else
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Being British means nothing. The majority of the series best films were written and adapted by Americans.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Being British means nothing. The majority of the series best films were written and adapted by Americans.

I agree. Maibaum was hands down the best writer the series ever had.
    Funnily enough Mendes has written his first screenplay now, however I believe he has had the control to shape some of the material he has had to his wants and needs.

Definitely. He’s ideas and inputs are at the core of both SF and SP. They gave him a lot of creative freedom, that’s pretty clear. What I’m saying is that he’s just a different kind of filmmaker than Cary. So I don’t see Fukunaga like an in between Mendes and Forster. Having said that Fukunaga is a very versatile filmmaker and if you look at his body of work the common theme has always been a peculiar attention to the psychological aspects of the characters. He also has a brand new (for the saga) background as a director, since he started in the American indie world.
    matt_u wrote: »

Definitely. He’s ideas and inputs are at the core of both SF and SP. They gave him a lot of creative freedom, that’s pretty clear. What I’m saying is that he’s just a different kind of filmmaker than Cary. So I don’t see Fukunaga like an in between Mendes and Forster. Having said that Fukunaga is a very versatile filmmaker and if you look at his body of work the common theme has always been a peculiar attention to the psychological aspects of the characters. He also has a brand new (for the saga) background as a director, since he started in the American indie world.

Agreed on Fukunaga, and the prospect of an entirely new aesthetic again is really something that excites me. I do hope we're back in Whitehall though.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The car chase has to be one of the most uninspired action sequences in the history of the franchise,
    Surely not, @talos7. Have you forgotten DAD’s paragliding tsunami action scene? Or maybe you’re a fan?

Two different animals, with the paragliding sequence being mainly a special effects sequence.
    Also, if you read what I said, the words “ one of” are used. The paragliding sequence is shameful but it doesn’t not change that the car chase in Rome is profoundly uninspired and dull.
    I read what you said. You said: “has to be one of the most uninspired action sequences in the history of the franchise.” Conclusion: you use hyperbole rather than giving examples of why you think this is your own belief. “Two different animals” you say. They’re both action sequences, how are they both different animals? Of course you’re entitled to say that the Rome car chase is uninspired and dull, but you lose your argument when you toss in “the history of the franchise”.

He hasn't lost anything.

Nobody can say the idea of paragliding through a tsunami isn't creative or "thinking outside the box". I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before or since. It doesn't make the scene any less cringe inducing, naff and awfully executed. But it certainly is creative.

The Rome sequence on the other hand is a car chase, which is a set-up we've seen many times, and an extremely lamely put together one at that.

So @talos7 is not wrong at all.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2019 Posts: 8,087

Greater respect than Tamahori was what I wrote but others may have meant something else

Sorry wasn't refering to you directly.

Indeed, but why would anyone assume that Fukunaga has a deeper respect than Boyle or Mendes who both are British. It's one thing to say being American isn't a disadvantage, it's another thing to say that being American is an advantage. Why is it assumed he is more in tune with how Bond should be than either of the other recent (British) choices?

Sorry wasn't refering to you directly.

Indeed, but why would anyone assume that Fukunaga has a deeper respect than Boyle or Mendes who both are British. It's one thing to say being American isn't a disadvantage, it's another thing to say that being American is an advantage. Why is it assumed he is more in tune with how Bond should be than either of the other recent (British) choices?

I don't recall seeing anybody saying this at all. The closest thing to this was @Getafix saying that he could direct suspenseful action better than anyone since Glen.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Glen was indeed a master at it.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541

He hasn't lost anything.

Nobody can say the idea of paragliding through a tsunami isn't creative or "thinking outside the box". I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before or since. It doesn't make the scene any less cringe inducing, naff and awfully executed. But it certainly is creative.

The Rome sequence on the other hand is a car chase, which is a set-up we've seen many times, and an extremely lamely put together one at that.

Not trying to defend that utter nonsensical car chase but I don't think I have seen any car chase racing through a wall near a river which I thought was quite creative and preformed real as well without CGI even though it was dumb.

He hasn't lost anything.

Not trying to defend that utter nonsensical car chase but I don't think I have seen any car chase racing through a wall near a river which I thought was quite creative and preformed real as well without CGI even though it was dumb.

I cam't argue with that, @Resurrection :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2019 Posts: 7,980

You are far too impressed, more than you should be, with your own words and are coming off as a pseudo intellectual who talks in circles and mistakes it for intellect. I've noticed this in your long winded responses to several post by a number of members and topics.

If you can't see the difference between the paragliding sequence and the car chase in Rome , I recommend taking a basic filmmaking course; you may find it helpful.

Also, stating an opinion need not be presented as an argument; it can exist simply as an opinion. So, I'm not making an argument that the car chase has to be one of the most uninspired action sequences in the history of the franchise, I'm stating an opinion. live with it.
    Yawn! And I too have noticed how you’re up your own backside and lack an inability to express yourself coherently and with style. Touché.

Hmmm, so if I lack an “inability” to express myself coherently and with style then you’re saying that I do have both qualities; why thank you.

My final word is that you use the techniques of a carnival worker in that no matter how well the player does they don’t win the prize. Me aside I’ve see numerous members make excellent arguments; you will select a single word, or phrase, twist and contort it and tell that person that they are wrong and haven’t proven their point. It’s no more than a debate version of a carnival con.

Any way , thanks for the compliment. I’m moving on .
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Weirdly I think a lot of the problems with Spectre's action sequences comes back to much of them seemingly existing in a vacuum. There's nobody else about for the Rome (excepting comedy Fiat man) or Austria or London sequences - for Mexico they are set-dressing rather than interactive (compare for instance Moneypenny screaming at civilians repeatedly in Istanbul). To say nothing of the Crater base escape which applies the same methodology as the Silva capture without the actual thought behind it (in SF, Bond is hustling. Here he's just Superman and has no opposition). Again, with the train sequence everyone disappears once the fighting starts. It's why much of the film feels artificial and staged rather than integrated with a larger world.

The core philosophy of Spectre's action scenes are what make them dull. Mendes or whoever was more focused on making it possible, rather than making it exciting. To them, making it possible was enough.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    In an interview with Stellar, Monica Bellucci was asked about Bond 25:

Daniel Craig has said that he would like to work with you again after 2015’s Spectre. And casting has begun for the next Bond movie set for next year ...

[Laughs.] It was great to work with Daniel. He is not just a great actor, but also very giving. When [director] Sam Mendes cast me I couldn’t believe how people were talking about “the older women”, how I was older than James Bond. This created something crazy but it was a good experience. It was also interesting to show that even if a women is not young anymore, she still has femininity and sensuality.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Wow, some of you guys really need to be introduced to this concept of opinion. It’s been quite frustrating to see some of your opinions being passed off as fact, just because you think you’re more right than the next guy and then making it personal by insulting someone’s intelligence because their opinion doesn’t match your own. This discussion can really hit some lows.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Weirdly I think a lot of the problems with Spectre's action sequences comes back to much of them seemingly existing in a vacuum. There's nobody else about for the Rome (excepting comedy Fiat man) or Austria or London sequences - for Mexico they are set-dressing rather than interactive (compare for instance Moneypenny screaming at civilians repeatedly in Istanbul). To say nothing of the Crater base escape which applies the same methodology as the Silva capture without the actual thought behind it (in SF, Bond is hustling. Here he's just Superman and has no opposition). Again, with the train sequence everyone disappears once the fighting starts. It's why much of the film feels artificial and staged rather than integrated with a larger world.

You’re on to something, here, @FourDot. Except for the PTS and Q’s run in with a bunch of tourists, there is an odd absence of people. You call it a vacuum; I think it feels like isolation. If you have seen A Star Is Born with Gaga and Cooper, you’ll notice it in that film as well, to creepy and beneficial results. I need some coffee to ponder the ramifications if this LOL.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Wow, some of you guys really need to be introduced to this concept of opinion. It’s been quite frustrating to see some of your opinions being passed off as fact, just because you think you’re more right than the next guy and then making it personal by insulting someone’s intelligence because their opinion doesn’t match your own. This discussion can really hit some lows.

Exactly, everything need not be an argument or debate.

It's like the houses of parliament in here? Lol!!!
    One of the weirdest sequences in Bond history. Esp when you hear how much it cost.

Opens in Oxfordshire and then ends in a damp squib on the Tiber.

OK, that I laughed out loud at. Well done :)

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Amazing to read that there is an "EON Screenwriters Workshop Ltd".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_G._Wilson

I'm picturing some locked broom cupboard at EON HQ with huge paper files going back to the late 80s and large amounts of dust.

I doubt that the workshop has any sort of input on Bond. They’re probably how “Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool” and “The Rhythm Section” came to be.