"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A United fan page mentioned it though my brother seems to think it's an old incident, glad he was ok as that could have been nasty.

It was on the news yesterday, so it couldn't have been an old incident. You're right though; it could have been nasty! Fell on the ice a few weeks before Christmas myself, and the leg I fell on hurt for over a week.

I can relate several years ago when I was recouping from a torn achiles I slipped bad on ice.

We had ice here the past week I am always uneasy when I walk on it, I prefer any weather to ice.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,241
    A United fan page mentioned it though my brother seems to think it's an old incident, glad he was ok as that could have been nasty.

It was on the news yesterday, so it couldn't have been an old incident. You're right though; it could have been nasty! Fell on the ice a few weeks before Christmas myself, and the leg I fell on hurt for over a week.

I can relate several years ago when I was recouping from a torn achiles I slipped bad on ice.

We had ice here the past week I am always uneasy when I walk on it, I prefer any weather to ice.

That must have been painful!

Same here. Have slipped on ice several times before, so I always walk very carefully on ice. Right now we have cold weather over here, but I'm really not looking forward to when it becomes a bit warmer, and the possibility of rain turning the snow to ice…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Same here. Have slipped on ice several times before, so I always walk very carefully on ice. Right now we have cold weather over here, but I'm really not looking forward to when it becomes a bit warmer, and the possibility of rain turning the snow to ice…

Our weather is pretty tame compared to yours, plus I live on the coast so the sea air tends to shift the snow quicker.

My problem is I tend to buy foot ware that has no grip and useless on ice.

Our weather is pretty tame compared to yours, plus I live on the coast so the sea air tends to shift the snow quicker.

Yeah, that's the beauty of coastal weather!

Can't go wrong with a good pair of winter boots. I have two pairs; one insulated pair for the weather we have now, and another pair with thinner soles for slightly warmer weather. I prefer to use the pair with thinner soles when I'm driving though.

Can't go wrong with a good pair of winter boots. I have two pairs; one insulated pair for the weather we have now, and another pair with thinner soles for slightly warmer weather. I prefer to use the pair with thinner soles when I'm driving though.

I just have walking boots that I only where when it snows or ice, I have had them a few years they look brand new we don't get much snow and ice, some years a couple of days of that.

I just have walking boots that I only where when it snows or ice, I have had them a few years they look brand new we don't get much snow and ice, some years a couple of days of that.

Couple of days with snow and ice each year? That sounds terrific!
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Get in!!! Very important win against Blues tonight! Hopefully Leeds and Sheffield United slip up tomorrow now? OTBC!!!!

That depends; has Bielsa managed to send out another spy after the "Spy Gate" scandal? :-D

Norwich seems to keep their form going. Impressive!

Lol!

Well my friend the results went my way as I had hoped for, with both Leeds and Sheffield Utd losing!! Gonna be really interesting the next couple of weeks.

How about that! The Championship is becoming quite the points thriller! West Brom have yet to play as well, and can close in the gap up to Sheffield Utd.

Which they have and now leap frogged Sheffield Utd into third. Exciting and nervous times ahead!

Shefield Utd next too, I see. Good opportunity to get a gap down!

That is what I am certainly hoping for seeing as we have Leeds Utd the following week! But would need West Brom to slip up too?

With a league as unpredictable as the Championship, anything can happen!

Is RogueAgent a Norwich City fan? If so, it was a great win against Leeds over the weekend. Norwich have gotten themselves into a pretty good position here. There is a long way to go, but they are right where they need to be.
    Get in!!! Very important win against Blues tonight! Hopefully Leeds and Sheffield United slip up tomorrow now? OTBC!!!!

That depends; has Bielsa managed to send out another spy after the "Spy Gate" scandal? :-D

Lol!

Well my friend the results went my way as I had hoped for, with both Leeds and Sheffield Utd losing!! Gonna be really interesting the next couple of weeks.

How about that! The Championship is becoming quite the points thriller! West Brom have yet to play as well, and can close in the gap up to Sheffield Utd.

Which they have and now leap frogged Sheffield Utd into third. Exciting and nervous times ahead!

That is what I am certainly hoping for seeing as we have Leeds Utd the following week! But would need West Brom to slip up too?

Is RogueAgent a Norwich City fan? If so, it was a great win against Leeds over the weekend. Norwich have gotten themselves into a pretty good position here. There is a long way to go, but they are right where they need to be.

He is indeed !
    edited February 2019 Posts: 194
    barryt007 wrote: »

Lol!

He is indeed !

That is great. I like Norwich alot. It would be great to see them garner promotion back to the top flight again this year. Obviously, I wouldn't want that to be at the Baggies expense, though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    City win see's them top the Premier League again. Really thought Liverpool were going to keep a safe distance between them. Still the season is far from over.
    Could all change come the weekend with the Anfield mob playing the cherries, and Chelsea up against Man City.
    Best result Chelsea beat Man City (Obviously ;) ) And Bournemouth over coming Liverpool.

Lol!

He is indeed !

That is great. I like Norwich alot. It would be great to see them garner promotion back to the top flight again this year. Obviously, I wouldn't want that to be at the Baggies expense, though.

Guilty as charged my friend, A big Norwich fan I am. The Baggies will certainly be in the mix that's for sure. Would not like to call how the table will look come the end of the season? Lol!
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 19,339
    The body found in the aircraft crashed in the English Channel is Sala i’m afraid to say .
    The plane can’t be raised because of stormy seas.
    The body found in the aircraft crashed in the English Channel is Sala i’m afraid to say .
    The plane can’t be raised because of stormy seas.

Credit to the rescue services, the family and friends can have closure and grieve, it's a sad loss.

Lol!

He is indeed !

Guilty as charged my friend, A big Norwich fan I am. The Baggies will certainly be in the mix that's for sure. Would not like to call how the table will look come the end of the season? Lol!

That is great. I like West Brom quite alot and I would certainly be content with both West Brom and Norwich finishing in the top two positions. That would work for me. :) Championship is a tough league though. Very competitive. So, it is a grind until the end. West Brom are on parachute payments, as the Baggies were relegated last year, which gives us some advantage over much of the league, but yours must be drying up at this point, as Norwich were relegated in the 2016 season. Furthermore, it is just a tough league, so we are going to have to continue to play well. Alot of things can happen between now and then, as well. I am hopeful and cautiously optimistic about it though.

Lol!

He is indeed !

That is great. I am a West Brom fan. I would certainly be content with the two of us finishing in the top two positions. That would work for me. :) Championship is a tough league though. Very competitive. So, it is a grind until the end. West Brom are on parachute payments, as the Baggies were relegated last year, which gives us some advantage over much of the league, but yours must be drying up at this point, as Norwich were relegated in the 2016 season. Furthermore, it is just a tough league, so we are going to have to continue to play well. Alot of things can happen between now and then, as well. I am hopeful and cautiously optimistic about it though.

I'm impressed with your knowledge of English football,are you an ex-pat ?

Lol!

He is indeed !

That is great. I like West Brom quite alot and I would certainly be content with West Brom and Norwich finishing in the top two positions. That would work for me. :) Championship is a tough league though. Very competitive. So, it is a grind until the end. West Brom are on parachute payments, as the Baggies were relegated last year, which gives us some advantage over much of the league, but yours must be drying up at this point, as Norwich were relegated in the 2016 season. Furthermore, it is just a tough league, so we are going to have to continue to play well. Alot of things can happen between now and then, as well. I am hopeful and cautiously optimistic about it though.

No, I am not an expatriate. I have several personal friends from England, one from East Sussex and another, a very close childhood friend, who, although born just outside of Edinburgh, grew up in a town called Washington in Tyne and Wear, part of the larger Sunderland urban area. I met him in school after his family moved to the United States. We were both eleven at the time. I got into international football through my friendship with him, as he is a Sunderland fan. Furthermore, the overnight Summer camp which I would go to each Summer was staffed by many college kids from Britain, as the camp had some sort of program for staffing exchange students. So, English and Scottish club football were frequent topics.

So, how did I garner an affection for West Brom? Well, I will reveal my age in telling you that my friend moved here in the Summer of 2004. Consequently, the first season of English football that I followed live was the 2004/2005 season. He was pulling for Sunderland in their fight to win League Championship that year, or at least to make it back to Premier League. Of course, Sunderland ended up winning the title and gaining promotion. Meanwhile, while following Premier League, I became immersed in the fight that season to avoid relegation. Well, 2005 was the year of West Brom's famous 'great escape' and I think that that is where my original affection for the team came from, due to the tenacity which they displayed in fighting to survive down the stretch of the season and the passion of the fanbase. It was then over the ensuing years, as I learned about the history of the club and the like, that I developed a real attachment to the team.

Also, it has been awhile since I came on to the site. It is nice to see you on here again.

Lol!

He is indeed !

That is great. I am a West Brom fan. I would certainly be content with the two of us finishing in the top two positions. That would work for me. :) Championship is a tough league though. Very competitive. So, it is a grind until the end. West Brom are on parachute payments, as the Baggies were relegated last year, which gives us some advantage over much of the league, but yours must be drying up at this point, as Norwich were relegated in the 2016 season. Furthermore, it is just a tough league, so we are going to have to continue to play well. Alot of things can happen between now and then, as well. I am hopeful and cautiously optimistic about it though.

No, I am not an expatriate. I have several personal friends from England, one from East Sussex and another, a very close childhood friend, who, although born just outside of Edinburgh, grew up in a town called Washington in Tyne and Wear, part of the larger Sunderland urban area. I met him in school after his family moved to the United States. We were both eleven at the time. I got into international football through my friendship with him, as he is a Sunderland fan. Furthermore, the overnight Summer camp which I would go to each Summer was staffed by many college kids from Britain, as the camp had some sort of program for staffing exchange students. So, English and Scottish club football were frequent topics.

So, how did I become a West Brom supporter then? Well, I will reveal my age in telling you that my friend moved here in the Summer of 2004. Consequently, the first season of English football that I followed live was the 2004/2005 season. He was pulling for Sunderland in their fight to win League Championship that year, or at least to make it back to Premier League. Of course, Sunderland ended up winning the title and gaining promotion. Meanwhile, while following Premier League, I became immersed in the fight that season to avoid relegation. Well, 2005 was the year of West Brom's famous 'great escape' and I became attached to the team due to the tenacity which they displayed in fighting to survive down the stretch of the season and the passion of the fanbase. I became something akin to a casual Baggies fan and over the ensuing several years I just kind of fell in love with the team.

Also, it has been awhile since I came on to the site. It is nice to see you on here again.

Great to have you back and thanks for the explanation !!

Lol!

He is indeed !

So, how did I become a West Brom supporter then? Well, I will reveal my age in telling you that my friend moved here in the Summer of 2004. Consequently, the first season of English football that I followed live was the 2004/2005 season. He was pulling for Sunderland in their fight to win League Championship that year, or at least to make it back to Premier League. Of course, Sunderland ended up winning the title and gaining promotion. Meanwhile, while following Premier League, I became immersed in the fight that season to avoid relegation. Well, 2005 was the year of West Brom's famous 'great escape' and I became attached to the team due to the tenacity which they displayed in fighting to survive down the stretch of the season and the passion of the fanbase. I became something akin to a casual Baggies fan and over the ensuing several years I just kind of fell in love with the team.

Of course. So, you are an Arsenal fan?

Lol!

He is indeed !

Of course. So, you are an Arsenal fan?

Unfortunately I am yep x since I was 7 years old !
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Well looks like Huddersfield is a must win game now that Man Utd are strolling past Fulham.

And hope Leicester get something against the scum and Man City beat Chelski.
    Well looks like Huddersfield is a must win game now that Man Utd are strolling past Fulham.

Not counting on Leicester beating Sp*rs. We can only hope! City should manage to beat Chelsea, but you never know. Would be typical if Arsenal manage to draw or lose against Huddersfield now, wouldn't it…

Not counting on Leicester beating Sp*rs. We can only hope! City should manage to beat Chelsea, but you never know. Would be typical if Arsenal manage to draw or lose against Huddersfield now, wouldn't it…

A point for Leicester will do for now Torg ,but it’s all meaningless unless we win at Huddersfield x lose or draw and top 4 is over I think

A point for Leicester will do for now Torg ,but it’s all meaningless unless we win at Huddersfield x lose or draw and top 4 is over I think

Yes, it's a must win for sure. Think top four is out of reach already, but as long as there's enough points to play for, one can hope Arsenal manage to win enough games. EL getting more important now, by the looks of it.
    W

Yes, it's a must win for sure. Think top four is out of reach already, but as long as there's enough points to play for, one can hope Arsenal manage to win enough games. EL getting more important now, by the looks of it.

Win the EL and we are in the CL !

My God Fulham are really shit , definitely Huddersfield and Fulham down an probably Cardiff joining them ,no loss to the EPL.

Norwich and Leeds should be in-the EPL
    W

Win the EL and we are in the CL !

My God Fulham are really shit , definitely Huddersfield and Fulham down an probably Cardiff joining them ,no loss to the EPL.

Norwich and Leeds should be in-the EPL

Easier said than done, but Unai is a "EL specialist", having won it three times before. Hope he can manage the same this year with Arsenal.

Will be be surprised to see any but these three teams relegated. Looking forward to see who makes the step up from the Championship.
    Iwobi scores! Keep it up, please!
    Come on !!!!!!
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Lacazette made it 0-2 earlier. Hope Arsenal can get a few more goals before the full-time whistle!
    Cardiff win aways against Southampton takes them out of the bottom three, with Burnley and Newcastle yet to play.
    A win is a win Arsenal x phew *wipes brow*