"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    What the hell was Sarri’s tactics ?!

Didn’t bring on Giroud, took off Pedro and Aspilcueta , ,wouldn’t change the formation and brought a defender on as well as the shit Barclay !!

He needs to go x Jorginho was woeful again , the team is shot to shit x a great chance for Arsenal to get past them.

Sarri's stubbornness is comparable to Jose's, I think putting Kante where Jorginho is will improve things immediately

But he is absolutely intent on not doing that. Bizarre.
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    edited February 2019 Posts: 194
    I don't mean to change the subject away from the current season, but I just wanted to post links to several fun quizzes which users may enjoy.

The first simply asks you to enter the clubs which have, in their history, been champions of England and automatically plugs them into every season in which that club won the title when they are entered.

The second is the greater test, requiring you to enter the clubs by year. However, it offers an amount of time, twenty minutes, which does make it substantially easier than it would be if only allotted, say, ten to twelve minutes. This quiz, unlike the first one though, has not yet been updated for the last two seasons; the '17 and '18 seasons, yet. Also, it should be noted that neither quiz includes the shortened 1940 season in which Blackpool proclaimed themselves champions, but were not officially recognized as such.

For some reason, I enjoy these types of quizzes. I find them to be fun exercises for when I have a bit of free time, but not really enough to sit down and read, or do something else which requires more time.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/JakePFC/champs

https://www.sporcle.com/games/PLH/english-football-champions-by-year

The FA Cup winners quiz can be found here. You are only required to enter the club and it will plug them in for all of their championship seasons.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/fa_cup_winners
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't get why we took Sarri in the first place. No trophies or anything to speak of.
    'Sarri ball' , what the heck is that?
    The guy used to be a banker for heavens sake. Too me he's a first class w*nker.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A guy on one of the United fan channels calls Chelsea's current way of playing 'Sorri Ball'. 'Sarri Ball' from what I have seen of it involves not tackling when you don't have the ball.
    I see Chelski's management have been discussing replacing Sarri the Banker with either Zidane or Lampard.

I hope they have the funds because those 2 managers will spend spend.
    I see Chelski's management have been discussing replacing Sarri the Banker with either Zidane or Lampard.

I hope they have the funds because those 2 managers will spend spend.

I am curious to see how much longer Abramovich will remain the owner of Chelsea?
    Might be wrong about this, but hasn't Abramovich had trouble with his UK visa?

Yeah he has after the whole Salisbury nerve agent attack. I believe it is still going on. But money talks as always.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Yeah he has after the whole Salisbury nerve agent attack. I believe it is still going on. But money talks as always.

It always does, doesn't it. Wonder if it affects Chelsea in any way.

I think something will play out sooner or later as Chelsea are no longer the dominant force in the Premier League. Sari needs a win in the cup final this weekend.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,279

I think something will play out sooner or later as Chelsea are no longer the dominant force in the Premier League. Sari needs a win in the cup final this weekend.

Very true. Chelsea would be an attractive club for buyers though, so a sale wouldn't be surprising.

Wonder if Newcastle will get new owners?
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 19,339

He will have done well to keep the score down to 6-0 again,Chelski's confidence is shot to shit and City had a good win in Europe.

EDIT :

I've just been given 2 free tickets for the cup final on Sunday.Its in the City end so I will give them to my sister,as my nephew is a Man City nut !!
    Ooooh Chelski banned ANY transfers for the next TWO transfer windows...what they have now in their squad is all they can have.

This club is in serious decline..while others will strengthen in the Summer,they can only sit and watch.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,325
    Ooooh Chelski banned ANY transfers for the next TWO transfer windows...what they have now in their squad is all they can have.

This club is in serious decline..while others will strengthen in the Summer,they can only sit and watch.

Really for what reason?

Edited: Just read the news the club is in chaos and seems rudderless and Roman's interest appears to have waned

If Chelsea don't win the appeal Hazards contract situation is going to be a nightmare for them, Hazards contract expires June 2020

Really for what reason?

Edited: Just read the news the club is in chaos and seems rudderless and Roman's interest appears to have waned

If Chelsea don't win the appeal Hazards contract situation is going to be a nightmare for them, Hazards contract expires June 2020

They are appealing I assume? But I have to say I think Hazard will force a move come the closed season.

Really for what reason?

They are appealing I assume? But I have to say I think Hazard will force a move come the closed season.

I agree and Chelsea will have to sell or risk getting nothing for him a year later (reading between the lines I think he wants to go to Real), and if the appeal fails it will leave them in a bad position as they will not be able to replace Hazard.

Really for what reason?

I agree and Chelsea will have to sell or risk getting nothing for him a year later (reading between the lines I think he wants to go to Real), and if the appeal fails it will leave them in a bad position as they will not be able to replace Hazard.

Exactly, my gut feeling he will be at Real Madrid too. Especially with the hole Ronaldo left when joining Juventus.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,325

Really for what reason?

Exactly, my gut feeling he will be at Real Madrid too. Especially with the hole Ronaldo left when joining Juventus.

It was amazing what Real achieved in the CL under Zidane though that squad is aging and definitely needs some changes.

But Arsenal have Kroenke as owner. That's about the same as having a transfer ban…

But Arsenal have Kroenke as owner. That's about the same as having a transfer ban…

Lol! Quality!
    I think I am going to invest in medical insurance as my beloved Norwich City are giving me a health condition! Lol! So proud of the boys today coming back twice to eventually beat an in form Bristol City.

OTBC!!!!!!!

Just heard on Sunday Supplement not surprising he appears to have lost the players

Just heard on Sunday Supplement not surprising he appears to have lost the players

It wasn't surprising after last night's result, no. Still feel it was a shame what happened with him at Southampton. Can't say Soton have done well afterwards.

It wasn't surprising after last night's result, no. Still feel it was a shame what happened with him at Southampton. Can't say Soton have done well afterwards.

Managers life span in jobs is getting shorter, player power got him sacked.

Indeed. It's a difficult job being a PL manager.
    Wonder who Leicester can bring in at this point of the season?
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    edited February 2019 Posts: 194
    I think I am going to invest in medical insurance as my beloved Norwich City are giving me a health condition! Lol! So proud of the boys today coming back twice to eventually beat an in form Bristol City.

OTBC!!!!!!!

Great win for you guys.

As for Hazard, it seems pretty clear to me that he will be sold following the end of the season. The transfer ban does not come into effect for Chelsea until January of 2020 and it would make sense that he would be sold after this season, or in January of next year regardless of the transfer ban, in order for the club to get something for him, as his contract expires following the conclusion of the '20 season. Hazard has always said that he dreamed of playing for one of the premier Spanish clubs as a kid and it is well known that he considered leaving Chelsea in order to go to Spain in the past, so it only makes sense.

It is interesting because the way in which transfers work in international football is very different from how it typically works in most American sports leagues. As I am sure that you know, in international football, if a club is interested in a player who is under contract with another team, they will need to contact both that player and the club who they play for. The interested club will put forward contract offers to that player and if they agree to the terms of the offer, the interested club will inform the club that they have been able to reach terms with the player. If the club who the player plays for is interested the club who that player plays for can agree to permit the interested club to sign the player to their team, while the parent club (and the player) agree to terminate their existing contract in exchange for a settlement between the two clubs.

In the United States, in our major sports leagues, the NFL (which is king in the United States), MLB and the NBA, teams simply trade a player(s), along with their existing contract, to one another. In other words, if you play in the NFL and you are traded to another team, the team has simply traded you, along with the contract which you are on, to another team in exchange for compensation in the form of another player(s), along with that players contract, draft picks, e.t.c. So, players have very little power in terms of where they go. It is quite common, in fact, for players to simply be called into the front office and informed by the team that they have just been traded, told where they will be going, assisted with all of the necessary arrangements and then sent on their way. It is not uncommon for a player to simply be called in and informed that they have been traded to another club/franchise and that they will be departing on a flight later that day, or the next day. Now, of course, players, if they have enough leverage and possibly at the expense of taking a lower salary, a lower signing bonus, less guaranteed money, e.t.c. can insist on a no-trade clause being contained within their contract, but even so, in terms of where a player will be traded, the player has very little control over it. Sometimes, high-profile players will attempt to exert control by making it clear that they will not resign with certain teams if they are traded there, meaning that that team will only have them for the remainder of their existing contract, while also specifying what teams they would be willing to resign with, in an attempt to dilute their value with some teams and elevate their value with others, but in terms of the actual trade, it basically is what it is. When you are traded, you are traded. Also, all negotiations must take place directly between the clubs. Any attempt by one team to contact a player, or their agent, while that player is currently under contract with another team, is tampering and is a violation of the principles of comity which are fundamental to the League Constitutions. If caught doing so, a team would face severe penalties from the League, including financial penalties and forfeiture of future draft picks.

A bit of a shock re Claude Puel but tbh after yesterday’s result not a surprise.

I hear Leicester want Rafa so we will see.

Atm my local team Luton are playing crap but are winning so a good start to 3 matches I will be watching today (my wifey is sooo understanding bless her,but I will have cook a chilli con carne tonight as part of the deal......note to self : don’t get too pissed u have to cook din dins)

Bollocks, Coventry have just equalised .

OTBC!!!!!!!

Great win for you guys.

As for Hazard, it seems pretty clear to me that he will be sold following the end of the season. The transfer ban does not come into effect for Chelsea until January of 2020 and it would make sense that he would be sold after this season, or in January of next year regardless of the transfer ban, in order for the club to get something for him, as his contract expires following the conclusion of the '20 season. Hazard has always said that he dreamed of playing for one of the premier Spanish clubs as a kid and it is well known that he considered leaving Chelsea in order to go to Spain in the past, so it only makes sense.

It is interesting because the way in which transfers work in international football is very different from how it typically works in most American sports leagues. As I am sure that you know, in international football, if a club is interested in a player who is under contract with another team, they will need to contact both that player and the club who they play for. The interested club will put forward contract offers to that player and if they agree to the terms of the offer, the interested club will inform the club that they have been able to reach terms with the player. If the club who the player plays for is interested the club who that player plays for can agree to permit the interested club to sign the player to their team, while the parent club (and the player) agree to terminate their existing contract in exchange for a settlement between the two clubs.

In the United States, in our major sports leagues, the NFL (which is king in the United States), MLB and the NBA, teams simply trade a player(s), along with their existing contract, to one another. In other words, if you play in the NFL and you are traded to another team, the team has simply traded you, along with the contract which you are on, to another team in exchange for compensation in the form of another player(s), along with that players contract, draft picks, e.t.c. So, players have very little power in terms of where they go. It is quite common, in fact, for players to simply be called into the front office and informed by the team that they have just been traded, told where they will be going, assisted with all of the necessary arrangements and then sent on their way. It is not uncommon for a player to simply be called in and informed that they have been traded to another club/franchise and that they will be departing on a flight later that day, or the next day. Now, of course, players, if they have enough leverage and possibly at the expense of taking a lower salary, a lower signing bonus, less guaranteed money, e.t.c. can insist on a no-trade clause being contained within their contract, but even so, in terms of where a player will be traded, the player has very little control over it. Sometimes, high-profile players will attempt to exert control by making it clear that they will not resign with certain teams if they are traded there, meaning that that team will only have them for the remainder of their existing contract, while also specifying what teams they would be willing to resign with, in an attempt to dilute their value with some teams and elevate their value with others, but in terms of the actual trade, it basically is what it is. When you are traded, you are traded. Also, all negotiations must take place directly between the clubs. Any attempt by one team to contact a player, or their agent, while that player is currently under contract with another team, is tampering and is a violation of the principles of comity which are fundamental to the League Constitutions. If caught doing so, a team would face severe penalties from the League, including financial penalties and forfeiture of future draft picks.

Interesting read. Seems like NFL players etc. have very little power on their own career in this system. A big contrast to international football.
    A bit of a shock re Claude Puel but tbh after yesterday’s result not a surprise.

I hear Leicester want Rafa so we will see.

Atm my local team Luton are playing crap but are winning so a good start to 3 matches I will be watching today (my wifey is sooo understanding bless her,but I will have cook a chilli con carne tonight as part of the deal......note to self : don’t get too pissed u have to cook din dins)

Bollocks, Coventry have just equalised .

Cooking dinner to be able to watch three matches in one day seems like a good deal, IMO!

Indeed. It's a difficult job being a PL manager.
    Wonder who Leicester can bring in at this point of the season?

Rodgers and Benitez have been linked.

Matic and Martial injured not good, Ole set up with a diamond i see a draw in this game.

I am glad I benched Arnold