No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• manovermanover uk
    Btw I keep reading on this forum that Mendes almost left spectre project...I have never seen evidence of this on any news/ entertainment website..is this just trolling?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,834
    I'll be very surprised if we don't get a single take action scene in Bond 25:

Also, if people want a glimpse of how Fukunaga works, watch this:

• DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    edited January 2019 Posts: 50
    I'm very upset.. the rumor of Cory Fukunaga trying to leave? What a disaster this production must be. But I must have faith. Yes, I have it. I just have to remember to breathe.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,416
    Looks a bit of game feeling that scene and bit of parody. It remember me a bit to VR scene of DAD and court scene of Skyfall also.
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    edited January 2019 Posts: 50
    This video from the set of Maniac may, or may NOT be an accurate portrayal of how Cory works... this is a promotional puff piece full of shots of actors laughing and having a ball with their director.. this is not always how it works.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    manover wrote: »
    Btw I keep reading on this forum that Mendes almost left spectre project...I have never seen evidence of this on any news/ entertainment website..is this just trolling?

No. The Sony leaks conveyed that SP's preproduction was a massive shit show and Mendes wanted to bail on the project.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,834
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Looks a bit of game feeling that scene and bit of parody. It remember me a bit to VR scene of DAD and court scene of Skyfall also.

I think the parody-feel you're getting was done on-purpose. For me, this is just gives us an idea of where he could go. If you wanna see a more drama-based take from Fukunaga's work, just look up the True Detective single take.
    This video from the set of Maniac may, or may NOT be an accurate portrayal of how Cory works... this is a promotional puff piece full of shots of actors laughing and having a ball with their director.. this is not always how it works.

As for these comments, I'd have to disagree. Of course they're going to show clips of them laughing and having a ball because they're talking about the relationship between the three, how they made the film, and how much fun it was. Why would they have clips of them looking glum after a really long day? If that's what they were talking about, I'm sure that's what we'd see, but to see that Fukunaga has gained respect and can make his actors feel comfortable just makes me more excited.

I wish we could be a little bit more positive on this discussion, because at the moment it's just people complaining about news or still acting bitter because of Danny Boyle.
    The facts as I see it:

1) no one knows what the current state of play is

2) SF made excellent bank

3) SP made very good bank

4) People like Daniel Craig as Bond and will happily go to the theatre to see him.

The million dollar question is not how B25’s narrative will serve as a denouement to Craig’s arc. That is a fascinating question, but the wider public doesn’t give a rat’s clacker. They want to be entertained.

Ultimately, producers and distributors also have their eyes on other horizons. Bank.

No, the real question we should be asking is this - was the drop off in bank between SF and SP a function of poor or sub-par perception of SP or was it a function of SF enjoying a rare alignment of planets (olympics, anniversary, great marketing campaign)?

In other words - how *hard* does EON have to work to sell B25 to the hearts and minds of the great unwashed?

Did SP damage the brand? Or is Daniel Craig’s audience ready to saddle up for more bank?
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Good questions @GetCarter. Care to give us your opinion on some valid hypothesis?

I don't think SP damaged the brand. Daniel Craig's audience will always be ready to saddle up because...well...they're Daniel Craig's audience. The others are Bond audience so they don't have a choice, do they? They'll go. Now, the general audience? Who knows if EON can make Bond enticing in 2019, without rebooting with a new actor/direction and after a 5 year gap? I tell you one thing, they'll have to work hard on selling it properly. And they better start doing it somehow. Building some momentum would be a smart thing to do.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Denbigh wrote: »

To be frank, I'd personally rather not see another tracking shot in a Bond film (or any other film for that matter) for a long time. Fukunaga shot his wad with this sort of thing with True Detective (I found the above sequence tiresome), and Mendes of course got a fair amount of press for his apparent single take in the SP PTS. From my perspective at least, this tracking thing is a bit passe.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    I think so too. Tracking shot action scenes do have that feel. PoV films (like Hardcore Henry) also give off this vibe.

What I'd prefer to see is an inventive fight, perhaps combined with a footchase, in an interesting location. Near a ruin or a famous landmark perhaps? At night would be nice (now that we know they are using digital).
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have a question. If the production is offered a certain maximum incentive, does that mean they have to spend up to that amount (i.e. all of it)? Or can they spend far less than the cap? I'm asking because some other efforts were denied funds due to B25 getting an allotment, so presumably they should spend it all. I'd imagine that there is a specific and substantive proposal on the table somewhere in order for these funds to have been earmarked as well. It just hasn't leaked yet.

Interesting question. I guess the incentive granted the production reflects what the producers have in mind for the location. At the same time, if they don't spend all, one would guess that whatever's left will be spent on one of the other productions instead.
    That would seem logical, but the others have presumably been informed of their allotment, and therefore are planning their sequences and filming on this basis and with the budgets locked.

I'd assume there must be some cutoff deadline by which the Bond people need to inform the Norwegian film authorities whether they are moving forward or not. I can't imagine it is an open ended commitment for all of 2019 without some confirmation from EON that they are taking it.
    Yes, @bondjames, but have you seen that drop tracking shot of that mercedes down the Norwegian road, a few pages back? Now that's interesting, and could be an interesting take on a car chase. A bit like that gorgeous tracking shot of Connery in YOLT, on the rooftops.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Bring back David Niven as zombie Bond! Just as Fleming intended.
    @echo, David Niven died in 83.

Oh...as a zombie...right (rolls eyes and slowly, very slowly leaves the thread and the forums...)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,009

To be frank, I'd personally rather not see another tracking shot in a Bond film (or any other film for that matter) for a long time. Fukunaga shot his wad with this sort of thing with True Detective (I found the above sequence tiresome), and Mendes of course got a fair amount of press for his apparent single take in the SP PTS. From my perspective at least, this tracking thing is a bit passe.

Certainly not passe, I would say. They're still very viable, imo. The tracking shot is no more or less useful than any other shot in a film, and they've been around as long as any of them. It's all in the execution. The best tracking shots don't draw attention to themselves. They also don't need to be 5+ minutes. That's usually why, for my money, they work incredibly well with hand-to-hand combat scenes and scenes like the one from True Detective, where you are totally engrossed by the situation and not waiting for a cut to happen. It takes a lot more work than a normal shot, of course, but if it enhances the experience then I'm all for it, because the results can be spectacular.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Univex wrote: »
    Yes, @bondjames, but have you seen that drop tracking shot of that mercedes down the Norwegian road, a few pages back? Now that's interesting, and could be an interesting take on a car chase. A bit like that gorgeous tracking shot of Connery in YOLT, on the rooftops.
    I must have missed that @Univex. I'll take a look at it. Irrespective, I would rather not see one in the next Bond film. I've never been as impressed by this 'single take' technique as others seem to be, and that includes the sequence in YOLT & in True Detective as well. It takes me out of the film rather than keeping me immersed within it.

That doesn't mean I want an over edited film like QoS either mind you.

These techniques, interesting though may seem in the moment, tend to date films in my view (like Tamahori's swipe technique for DAD and Mendes's 'superhero style yellow' filtering for SP).

I'd rather they stick to the classic style of filming and give us something for the ages.

Certainly not passe, I would say. They're still very viable, imo. The tracking shot is no more or less useful than any other shot in a film, and they've been around as long as any of them. It's all in the execution. The best tracking shots don't draw attention to themselves. They also don't need to be 5+ minutes. That's usually why, for my money, they work incredibly well with hand-to-hand combat scenes and scenes like the one from True Detective, where you are totally engrossed by the situation and not waiting for a cut to happen. It takes a lot more work than a normal shot, of course, but if it enhances the experience then I'm all for it, because the results can be spectacular.
    I'm afraid I wasn't engrossed by the sequence in TD at all and would have far preferred a more traditional approach to filming that entire scene. It's just not for me unfortunately, at least when it comes to action scenes.

Mendes's work in SP though, I did like.
    I look forward to the day the film is finally released and we can put this mayhem of a thread to rest...
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 386
    Good questions @GetCarter. Care to give us your opinion on some valid hypothesis?

I don't think SP damaged the brand. Daniel Craig's audience will always be ready to saddle up because...well...they're Daniel Craig's audience. The others are Bond audience so they don't have a choice, do they? They'll go. Now, the general audience? Who knows if EON can make Bond enticing in 2019, without rebooting with a new actor/direction and after a 5 year gap? I tell you one thing, they'll have to work hard on selling it properly. And they better start doing it somehow. Building some momentum would be a smart thing to do.

I think there is much good will out there for DC and that EON have a ready-made foundation for B25. It will do well financially provided the marketing campaign ticks the usual boxes.

For me, EON’s main priority should be to promote a light, adventurous Bond. This is what the market wants I feel.

Hints at Blofeld / Swann intrigue will not carry much impact IMO due to a) the intervening gap of four years and b) lacklustre character impact in SP.

If I was EON, I would push spectacular locations and adrenalised stunts but with the universally recognised Bondian flourishes.

How this fits into the expectations and hopes of hardcore fans is another matter.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    jobo wrote: »
    I look forward to the day the film is finally released and we can put this mayhem of a thread to rest...

In the meantime, I’m on pins & needles.
    I must have missed that @Univex. I'll take a look at it. Irrespective, I would rather not see one in the next Bond film. I've never been as impressed by this 'single take' technique as others seem to be, and that includes the sequence in YOLT & in True Detective as well. It takes me out of the film rather than keeping me immersed within it.

These techniques, interesting though may seem in the moment, tend to date films in my view (like Tamahori's swipe technique for DAD and Mendes's 'superhero style yellow' filtering for SP).

I'd rather they stick to the classic style of filming and give us something for the ages.

I'm afraid I wasn't engrossed by the sequence in TD at all and would have far preferred a more traditional approach to filming that entire scene. It's just not for me unfortunately, at least when it comes to action scenes.

I fear that the True Detective scene would have lost all impact had it not been shot the way it was. I appreciate it's not for you but the oner as a concept isn't exactly new, so it's not really "not traditional" either. Straightforward might be a better summation.

GetCarter wrote: »
    If I was EON, I would push spectacular locations and adrenalised stunts but with the universally recognised Bondian flourishes.

Yes, that's the way to do it, IMO. I know I'd appreciate it.

I fear that the True Detective scene would have lost all impact had it not been shot the way it was. I appreciate it's not for you but the oner as a concept isn't exactly new, so it's not really "not traditional" either. Straightforward might be a better summation.
    Yes, I should have been more clear. Traditional as far as action in Bond films go is what I meant to say.

Let's see if he does one or not. I know what I'd prefer.

Yes, I should have been more clear. Traditional as far as action in Bond films go is what I meant to say.

Let's see if he does one or not. I know what I'd prefer.

Shorter ones would be acceptable to me in this case, 30 seconds maybe. Seems more appropriate for Bond. I highly doubt we'll be getting an extended hand-to-hand combat scene and and as I said above, that's where the oner works really well when it comes to action scenes. Gunplay? Not so much.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Oh...as a zombie...right (rolls eyes and slowly, very slowly leaves the thread and the forums...)

No no wait! It even gives us a good title: ZomBond
    No no wait! It even gives us a good title: ZomBond
    9cd7d9f961edadae420f6485964ed135.jpg

Definitely! I would love to see some groundbreaking stunt work like in the old days. There are talented, fearless people doing crazy things around also today. Scout them and investigate wether what they do could integrated into modern action scenes. Probably the best we have got in modern times is the parkour chase with Sebastian Foucan. More unique scenes like that please!
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 386

If Craig’s last film was most notable for a tight espionage story and memorable action scenes I’d be more than satisfied.

As jobo says, we need a return to physicality.

• edited February 2019 Posts: 6,665
    a tight espionage story

Hope springs eternal.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    jobo wrote: »

Then a few days or weeks after Bond25 comes out, a Bond 26 production thread will be made and the mayhem will continue. =))
    2063 pages, wow, just, wow.
    As jobo says, we need a return to physicality.
    150314-bond-sketch-daniel-craig.jpg
    "Sure, sure, I can do physical..."