Your favourite US President ....and why ?

Comments

I can´t help but laugh whenever Trump and his supporter try to pretend they somehow represent the tough, resourceful alfa males of this world. If there are two things their behaviour speaks of, it is fear and deep sensitivity.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 319
    Trump actually reminds me of Brad Whitaker a fair bit. Except Whitaker actually had some military knowledge.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Is this about your favorite us president and why or your least favorite and why....
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Is this about your favorite us president and why or your least favorite and why....

Thank you

Well of course any statement of preference would draw comparisons.
    Not to mention that some president, who are considered the best ever, are alos considered the worst (and vice versa), depending on who you ask. Try De Gaulle, for exemple : if you ask most frenchman, he's the greatest president France ever had. But ask the "Pieds Noirs", and they have a completely different opinion of him. Or Lincoln, to stay on topic : hero in the North, bastard in the South.

When somebody proclaims that Bond would support Trump because "he is resourceful and no snowflake", it warrants a reaction, don't you think?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

One question naturally leads itself to the other.
    I just thought this was supposed to be like a positive thread about celebrating leadership
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 2,887
    Gerard wrote: »
    Or Lincoln, to stay on topic : hero in the North, bastard in the South.

Lincoln became well-regarded in the south after his assassination, because southerners assumed (probably wrongly) that he would have been mild toward the south during reconstruction. In the decades afterward, when national unity was fostered by ignoring what happened to freed blacks, Lincoln and Lee were valorized as heroic leaders of a tragic war between brothers (the south's "kost cause"), while Grant was demonized as a drunken butcher. But today Lee's statues are being pulled down in the more progressive areas of the south while Lincoln's reputation remains deservedly high and Grant's rises by leaps and bounds.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just thought this was supposed to be like a positive thread about celebrating leadership

This. Let's keep it on topic everyone and not turn it into another Trump bashing thread, regardless of your feelings of him.
    The last decent president was... Obama actually. Who will be the next honest and decent one?
    Does Eisenhower get overlooked as a possible great president. I feel like he did some good things
    Revelator wrote: »
    Or Lincoln, to stay on topic : hero in the North, bastard in the South.

Lincoln became well-regarded in the south after his assassination, because southerners assumed (probably wrongly) that he would have been mild toward the south during reconstruction. In the decades afterward, when national unity was fostered by ignoring what happened to freed blacks, Lincoln and Lee were valorized as heroic leaders of a tragic war between brothers (the south's "kost cause"), while Grant was demonized as a drunken butcher. But today Lee's statues are being pulled down in the more progressive areas of the south while Lincoln's reputation remains deservedly high and Grant's rises by leaps and bounds.

Is Grant considered a great general or a great (or at least good) president? I understand he is regarded as a lousy president overall. I'd say he was at least a great general. And apparently my presidential alter ego.
    @Ludovico That is the general consensus, an okay president but a fantastic general
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Is Grant considered a great general or a great (or at least good) president? I understand he is regarded as a lousy president overall. I'd say he was at least a great general. And apparently my presidential alter ego.

Lincoln certainly considered Grant a great general, and Grant's military leadership paved the way to the White House. But a few decades after Grant's presidency, his reputation in both areas began suffering--influential southern historians began portraying him as a bloodthirsty general who sacrificed too many men and as an incompetent President ruling over a corrupt administration.

Grant was gradually again recognized as a great general in the post WWI period, when his total-war tactics were recognized as familiar and effective. But he was still widely regarded as one of the worst Presidents. Now he is being re-evaluated--two popular and influential revisionist biographies of him have been recently published, and historians are recognizing that Grant tried to make the Reconstruction work and make life easier for freed African Americans. True, some of his cabinet members were corrupt, but he wasn't and plenty of later administrations in the Gilded Age were. So now the historical consensus would probably rank Grant as an above-average President, and undeniably better than anyone between him and Teddy Roosevelt.

Grant also has the additional credit of having written the best Presidential memoirs in American history. The only man who might have done a better job, Lincoln, never got the chance.
  • LeChiffre wrote: »
    The last decent president was... Obama actually. Who will be the next honest and decent one?
    Haha!! Good one. I’ll take more Trump, please.

LeChiffre wrote: »
    Haha!! Good one. I’ll take more Trump, please.

Haha! Good one. You can keep him.
    Does Eisenhower get overlooked as a possible great president. I feel like he did some good things

Like what exactly?
    jobo wrote: »

Like what exactly?

He sent in the army to protect the Little Rock 9, the interstate highway, ending the Korean War, NASA. In general staying out of conflict like in Hungaria because of his military background and not wanting to send troops to die for no reason
    Eisenhower's reputation has in fact risen among historians. The popular negative perception used to be of a golf-playing dullard who had "delusions of competency." But actually Eisenhower was a hands-on competent executive who guided the U.S. through its post-war boom. He can be praised for overseeing a time of prosperity, and--defying the more extreme members of his party--he mostly continued the New Deal's social programs instead of trying to destroy them. In his restraint he represents an almost vanished species of Republican.

One black mark on his record is that his foreign policy interventions in Latin America and the Middle East (aside from Suez) came back to bite America in the ass. But succeeding presidents made equally bad, and sometimes worse, foreign policy mistakes.
  • Does Eisenhower get overlooked as a possible great president? I feel like he did some good things
    Definitely the last good Republican president.

Best Presidents in my Lifetime (1962 -)
    Barack Obama
    Bill Clinton

My Favorite Presidents (listed chronologically)
    Thomas Jefferson
    Abraham Lincoln
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Barack Obama

The Greatest U.S. Presidents of All Time
    Abraham Lincoln
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Does Eisenhower get overlooked as a possible great president. I feel like he did some good things

No. He does not get overlooked. I noted Eisenhower's qualities earlier in this thread.
    Not my favorite president necessarily but Nixon is highly overlooked imho.
    684286_v2.jpg
    684286_v2.jpg

Yes,he always liked a good fiddle.
    When Nixon hosted Duke Ellington at the White House he played "Happy Birthday" on the piano for the great Jazz composer.
    Nixon was one of the most gifted men to ever be president--and of one of the most unscrupulous, bigoted, lawless, devious, etc...
    When Nixon hosted Duke Ellington at the White House he played "Happy Birthday" on the piano for the great Jazz composer. Nixon was one of the most gifted men to ever be president--and of one of the most unscrupulous, bigoted, lawless, devious, etc...

Evil, but not stupid. And educated too.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    When Nixon hosted Duke Ellington at the White House he played "Happy Birthday" on the piano for the great Jazz composer. Nixon was one of the most gifted men to ever be president--and of one of the most unscrupulous, bigoted, lawless, devious, etc...

I think we're using evil a little too liberally. It's Nixon. Not Hitler or Stalin lol.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Remington wrote: »

I think we're using evil a little too liberally. It's Nixon. Not Hitler or Stalin lol.

Hitler was really multitalented and Stalin was at least a successful bank robber in his youth.
This discussion has been closed.