Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    bondjames wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I personally like his look, but I'm not sure if it will be sellable to a mass audience (I have similar concerns about Rupert Friend). From some angles, he looks like Elvis's (Dominic's relative and not The King) brother.

Now that you've said it, I can't stop seeing it. Blast :)
    Also that first B&W pic reminds me of Hank Azaria.
    Sorry to do that. Elvis is best forgotten.

I saw the clip you posted and I do like this guy. He's a bit retro, but distinctive. Kind of reminds me a little of a younger Jean Dujardin too (hairline I think).

Yes, same hairline, straight from the 30s or 40s type of guy. Good for period pieces. I wouldn't mind him as Bond, would have to exorcise Elvis and Hank Azaria from him. Could take a while ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »
    He used to be in 'The Inbetweeners' here,when he was younger,playing a bully called Donovan.

Really funny show that was.

So I cant see him as Bond,i only see Donovan .

Hahaha, what a show! :))
    He used to be in 'The Inbetweeners' here,when he was younger,playing a bully called Donovan.

Shows he can be menacing at least!
    TFC1 wrote: »

Shows he can be menacing at least!

Indeed,no doubt about that !
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    571535-800w.jpg

I don't know. He looks alright in some photos (like the one above). In others, he looks more like a henchman type. Not a big muscly type, but a Kronsteen type. Maybe he'd be better suited for a period set Bond?

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    He actually looks more like Fleming himself than the actors so far.

That could be a glorious Bond tenure. Period or otherwise.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He doesn't cut it for me, I'm afraid. Not as Bond, that is. But, Fleming? That's another story.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Dominic Cooper also looked quite good as Fleming.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Dominic Cooper also looked quite good as Fleming.
    I didn’t like it when they chose him first. But, after watching that miniseries (and I own it, for different reasons ;) ), he grew on me a lot as an actor, he was damn good. Wouldn’t mind seeing him as Bond.
    He is the kind of bond we need especially after all these feminism crap that's going on right now. Damn I really miss Connery films these days. That show kind of reminded me of it.
    He is the kind of bond we need especially after all these feminism crap that's going on right now. Damn I really miss Connery films these days. That show kind of reminded me of it.
    +1. Better make that two, my friend!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    He doesn't cut it for me, I'm afraid. Not as Bond, that is. But, Fleming? That's another story.

Same.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,295
    One of my go-to genres in TV and film is period set crime shows, in the Fleming Bond era of the 50's and the 60's. Sometimes when watching these shows an actor might pop up on screen, with a look that might have been interesting for Bond – if he was to be cast for a period film. I find this interesting, because this happens more often to me than spotting actors suitable for a present day Bond.

Even Jack Laskey, who featured in some series of Endeavour (I'm rewatching the show these days), has on occasion made me go "That was a bit Bondian!" – even though he's playing a character that sure isn't anything near Bondian.

tumblr_n8pvae67yp1qf93l9o3_250.gif

Must be the clothes, the cars you see in the streets in establishing shots, the never-ending supply of cigarettes, etc. I sometimes wish Bond was still pictured smoking in the films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I do miss the refinement, which I associate with the past. It's not so much about wearing a suit as it is about how one wears it. The elegance is in the details. I also miss the intelligence. The general manner of communicating these days is different - less polished.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    I do miss the refinement, which I associate with the past. It's not so much about wearing a suit as it is about how one wears it. The elegance is in the details. I also miss the intelligence. The general manner of communicating these days is different - less polished.

(I'm in an awful hurry, my friend, so I have to respond in a very unpolished and post modern way. Forgive me).

+1000 to your post.

It used to be about how you'd do it. Now it's only about doing it. Period. What poor times we live in.

@Torgeirtrap and @bondjames, you are spot on.

Agree on all points. Refinement is a factor that I hope never leaves the Bond films. No matter the number of cool blockbuster action heroes there are around, Bond should always be the classy one. The one who dresses more sharply, the one with the clever dialogue, etc.

I don't think they will ever manage to recreate the classiness of the earlier films; times have changed too much for that. But that doesn't mean Bond himself should be any less refined. I hope EON have started looking at potential candidates, because finding the next Bond might take some time!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Univex wrote: »

(I'm in an awful hurry, my friend, so I have to respond in a very unpolished and post modern way. Forgive me).

+1000 to your post.
    Haha. Cheers. Nicely done.
    I don't think they will ever manage to recreate the classiness of the earlier films; times have changed too much for that. But that doesn't mean Bond himself should be any less refined. I hope EON have started looking at potential candidates, because finding the next Bond might take some time!
    I agree. Times have certainly changed, but I believe refinement and timeless style never go out of fashion. If done right the audience will value and recognize it, even if they aren't consciously aware of what they're drawn to. We may not live in a time when it's demanded or even expected, but I believe it will continue to be appreciated and serve as a valuable differentiator if offered. Regarding future candidates, if there's one thing we've learned over the years, they always screentest and have names in their back pocket, even if they don't end up hiring them.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    My Holy Grail of Bond would be the release of all screentest done over the past 50 + years.
    I agree. Times have certainly changed, but I believe refinement and timeless style never go out of fashion. If done right the audience will value and recognize it, even if they aren't consciously aware of what they're drawn to. We may not live in a time when it's demanded or even expected, but I believe it will continue to be appreciated and serve as a valuable differentiator if offered. Regarding future candidates, if there's one thing we've learned over the years, they always screentest and have names in their back pocket, even if they don't end up hiring them.

Definitely agree that the refinement and style is something that never does – or should go out of fashion with Bond. As you write, the audience might enjoy it even though they're not consciously aware of what they're drawn to. As an example; even though I've never been that enthusiastic about white tuxedos, I found the white tux in SP a nice little detail. A bit odd maybe, but still.

I certainly hope they have a few names in their back pocket at any given time – and if they can't get their preferred man, a list of good alternatives. Ideally they should get working on this straight after Bond 25.
    talos7 wrote: »
    My Holy Grail of Bond would be the release of all screentest done over the past 50 + years.

My excitement for a complete screen test release would match my excitement for Bond 25, actually.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Checking HLH on YouTube , i've got one question: is he tall enough? Seems rather short in Indian Summers. That and the fact that I really don't like the way he moves. Definately not Bond. The difference between him and, i.e. Craig in Lara Croft, but also LayerCake is huge. Now it can be the role(s) required stoky movements, but it's a little too much.
    Checking HLH on YouTube , i've got one question: is he tall enough? Seems rather short in Indian Summers. That and the fact that I really don't like the way he moves. Definately not Bond. The difference between him and, i.e. Craig in Lara Croft, but also LayerCake is huge. Now it can be the role(s) required stoky movements, but it's a little too much.

Apparently he is 6ft 2 and definitely needs to add a bit of bulk but I think he has something.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Apparently he is 6ft 2 and definitely needs to add a bit of bulk but I think he has something.

Well I don't know how tall the other guy is but it looks more 5'2 to me then 6'2

Well I don't know how tall the other guy is but it looks more 5'2 to me then 6'2

Craig Parkinson – standing next to HLH in that scene, is 6' 4½" (1,95 m).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Then get Craig Parkinson to play Bond, dammit!
  • I think Jamie Dornan should get the role. It's time we have a Bond with some designer stubble..

rs_1024x759-140123124609-1024.2jamie-dornan-hogan-50-shades-grey.ls.12314_copy.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90
    No thanks. Not even in a billion years.
    peter wrote: »
    Then get Craig Parkinson to play Bond, dammit!

:))

If only he looked a bit more like Bond…He's a good actor, got a decent depth to his voice. Oh, well. Wouldn't doubt his abilities playing a villain.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    No, No, No he's more psycho than suave.
    I think Jamie Dornan should get the role. It's time we have a Bond with some designer stubble..

rs_1024x759-140123124609-1024.2jamie-dornan-hogan-50-shades-grey.ls.12314_copy.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

Sure when bond will start singing love me like you do and the only action we will see were filmed on bed.
    I think Jamie Dornan should get the role. It's time we have a Bond with some designer stubble..

Sure when bond will start singing love me like you do and the only action we will see were filmed on bed.

"Jamie Dornan is James Bond in In Her Majesty's Secret Bed"

Don't know about Dornan though. There are worse suggestions, but there's also several better options around, IMO. Don't know what Babs thinks though!